• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

asianaussie

Smash Hero
if you're in the last year of highschool, you probably have a bucket of 18ths coming up, and probably have attended a few already

how is it you find alcohol talk troubling

The Star King

Smash Hero
I'm not troubled it just seems to be brought up really often

I'm assuming an "18th" is usually a drinking party in other countries but drinking age in US is 21

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
@Semp, Yes, and I'm also glad that now you can get Sierra Nevada in a lot of places that used to only carry BMC. Finally an escape.

It's cool though since I have a bunch of legit *** places near me now (including a WOB like 5 min from my house. PWND!).

I'm currently on that Arrogant ******* tip ;)

Ruination anyone xD
Oh man, I just recently got one of those 22oz Ruinations. The story on the back is epic in ways words simply cannot describe. Seriously intense and one of the most bitter IPAs I've had. One of the few that leaves your tongue tingling after each sip.

My roommate recently got an $18 six pack of Arrogant ******* OAKED, and after trading for a bottle, I just gotta say that it was well worth the price. Everything you love about Arrogant *******, but with this ridiculously complex woodsy taste to it. So good.

Stone is up there with the most legit brewing companies. Everything they touch is gold. Every had Lagunitas? Also up there. I highly recommend A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale (not the Wild, although that's good too) and Maximus. I've recently renamed Monday in my books as MAXIMONDAY. Monday night is the perfect night for an 8.2% beer.

And yeah, I was talking to my dad, and he was saying how just five years ago, there was almost nothing in the way of micros and like you said, places just sold BMC. So great to see places branching out.

The Star King

Smash Hero
and that's going to stop drinking...how?

the use of the word 'alarming' was inappropriate then
don't be a smart mouth. You know what you meant, and you know the drinking age being 21 means that an "18th" is not significant in relation to alchohol like you were implying

fair enough

asianaussie

Smash Hero
telling me off for not adhering to your assumptions?

i just thought teenager-run parties around the globe will generally have alcohol in some form, and that you should probably be accustomed to it if you are, in fact, a teenager

while i definitely had drinking age in mind, that didn't in any way imply 18ths are 'drinking parties'...i could have substituted any number between 16 and 20 there - people who come to parties to get wasted will get wasted regardless of host supply >_>

clubbadubba

Smash Master
@kys, it has been done before. Though you can only slam down so many nati ice's before you start feeling fat as hell lol. What the hell I'll drink anything so long as it gets me in the right state of mind.

You know I understand beer connoisseurs, and wine connoisseurs, even though I think they're very silly :) . But I really don't get liquor connoisseurs. Buying expensive liquor that tastes like $25 liquor... why? Apparently smirnoff wins lots of vodka tasting competitions over the really expensive vodka, which makes me really wonder why expensive vodka can still be so expensive.

Star king came back from his hiatus with a vengeance lol. We've been slightly lazy in accuracy of our posts for far too long guys, knock it off.

The Star King

Smash Hero
You said I should be more comfortable with drinking age because of "18ths", having the drinking age in mind. I point out that it's 21 in the states. You said that's not going to stop drinking, but your original point was essentially that I'm nearing the drinking age, not that teenage-run parties should have made me more comfortable with alchohol.

Parties with alchohol aren't THAT common as far as I know, and I'm not really the type to go. Although this is coming from the guy who probably wouldn't know everybody does weed at my school if his sister didn't tell him, so maybe I'm just totally oblivious.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
star king you go to West Springfield, trust me drinking parties are frequent there. Fun if that's ur thing, but if not then they would be kinda boring.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
uh...i dont remember ever saying anything about drinking age until you brought it up, it's just that you'd expect an 18yo to have encountered their fair share of drink if they went to parties with any frequency

and maybe you're just not hanging with people who drink a lot...it's pretty common and attractive to dem rebellious kids because a) it's entertaining and b) against the law

i dont even know why im sustaining this topic, maybe its because star king needs to be wrong about something

kys

Smash Ace
Going to parties and drinking is a great way to meet chicks. Provided you're not keeled-over-passed-out-on-the-toilet-wallowing-in-your-own-puke drunk.

Totally agree about the liquor connoisseurs. 95% of hard liquor is absolute garbage, and price has nothing to do with it.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I was gonna say that the problem is a difference in perspectives, 'cause I inferred "18th" was a reference to drinking age, caused by my relative lack of exposure to drinking.

But you admitted you had drinking age in mind so my inferrence were spot-on. PWNED

I know I guess I'm just not a REBEL. But IMO being a rebel is about independently forming ideas different from the norm and not being afraid to speak or act on them, not breaking rules just because they're there. Whatever not going to go into that

BTW aa Playing smash on emulators is entertaining and against the law maybe high school should have smash parties :awesome::troll:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
uh...you can't actually mention an 18th in australia without drinking age coming up (mainly as a logistical thing to see who can hop over to dan murphy's for more terrible drinks)

so no, it was not a directed reference

at this point im just swinging at air so w/e

and i would say that not being what you consider a rebel is more of a rebel thing at your age lol

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I feel sorry for you if your life is so ****ty that you only drink to get through the day

And "nobody likes the taste" is nowhere near true. Maybe true if you're talking about people like under 30, but a significant number of older people actually like the taste.

And I know he's a comedian and I shouldn't take it that seriously but you put it in a mostly serious post so ;P
nope, I 100% believe everything comedian Jim Jeffries said in that video ... :rolleyes:

@SK, it was funny and relevant (dang bro no one can post around you or what). I for one love the taste, but have heard lots of people (who don't drink) say that taste thing before xD.
lol

Wow I even let it slide when ballin posted it during our previous alchohol discussion (is it just me or do you guys talk about alchohol with alarming frequency?). I'm starting to feel like I can't post D:
maybe if you weren't so super SERIOUS about a comedy routine lol

also i think the timing thing might be due to the SK hiatus - I don't remember having this discussion before

Apparently smirnoff wins lots of vodka tasting competitions over the really expensive vodka, which makes me really wonder why expensive vodka can still be so expensive.
well, one contest to be fair. but it is known that grey goose is just cheap vodka that they overprice - it's whole purpose is to show off that you buy expensive stuff

TANK64

Smash Lord
Wow I even let it slide when ballin posted it during our previous alchohol discussion (is it just me or do you guys talk about alchohol with alarming frequency?). I'm starting to feel like I can't post D:

Because something is relevant I can't disagree with a point?

And bad taste is a reason people might not drink or eat something? You don't say?

EDIT: This post sounds a bit too snarky for my liking. Sorry if I come across that way, I don't mean to @_@
It's coo. Starkiness neutralized.

Arrogant ******* OAKED

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale
After Easter my friend... after Easter.

Until then. I can just talk about it xD.

and i would say that not being what you consider a rebel is more of a rebel thing at your age lol
lol

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Man hard liquor is the pits.

Never understood it. Beer is one thing, but hard liquor's gonna taste like *** no matter how fancy it is.

As far as I can tell, fancy vodka takes the burn off *just a bit*, compared to, well, Dubra. I still avoid it like the plague, but fancy shots are a little more stomachable than Dubra shots.

Although I recently had some nice gin and tonic, and I gotta say, that wasn't all that bad, considering it was 1 part gin, 2 parts tonic.

Ooh! Dark n' Stormy is also probably the only other mixed drink I like. Probably because Ginger Beer is so damn tasty. The hotter the better when it comes to mixing it with rum, though. It's gotta burn enough to neutralize the alcohol. It's really interesting, because then the taste of the rum comes out... never thought I'd be able to actually taste rum.

Currently sipping on a Southern Tier 2x Stout. **** tastes like chocolate.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
Man hard liquor is the pits.

Never understood it. Beer is one thing, but hard liquor's gonna taste like *** no matter how fancy it is.

As far as I can tell, fancy vodka takes the burn off *just a bit*, compared to, well, Dubra. I still avoid it like the plague, but fancy shots are a little more stomachable than Dubra shots.

Although I recently had some nice gin and tonic, and I gotta say, that wasn't all that bad, considering it was 1 part gin, 2 parts tonic.

Ooh! Dark n' Stormy is also probably the only other mixed drink I like. Probably because Ginger Beer is so damn tasty. The hotter the better when it comes to mixing it with rum, though. It's gotta burn enough to neutralize the alcohol. It's really interesting, because then the taste of the rum comes out... never thought I'd be able to actually taste rum.
3 weeks into uni and i've already been on multiple pub crawls and parties. i met some 2nd/3rd years and they invited me and my mate on a pub crawl and they went sooo hard. they had boat races (beer skulling competitions) which was insane and straight after they were slamming cowboy shots. needless to say, i joined in

if you like ginger beer, try a moscow mule. it's vodka, ginger beer and lime. i really like it

most coke-cola mixed spirits are fairly easy to down and taste pretty good too

Olikus

Smash Champion
for me rum and coke is either good or bad. It taste **** or its one of the best spirits.

It may have to do with which rum you use and the fact that I dont drink spirit that much.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Rum and Coke is a classic. Cheap and doesn't taste entirely like ***. I still prefer beer over it any day.

And a Dark n' Stormy is practically the same thing as a Moscow Mule, haha, one just uses rum while the other uses vodka. Vodka is my least favorite hard liquor, though, so I'm not sure how well that'll work. As a general rule (for me), the darker the rum, the better the drink.

Oh man, a few people invited me to do a Falcon Punch a while back. Thought this forum would appreciate that!

Basically two gallons of fruit punch are dumped into a giant vat along with a bottle of grain alcohol. Then shots are poured with Watermelon Pucker and Bacardi 151 is layered on the top using a spoon. Light that **** on fire, yell FALCON PUNCH, drop the shot in a cup of the fruit punch mixture and start chugging. Slam the cup down and "show ya moves".

Highly amusing. Each "PUNCH" is something like 3 drinks, ha.

Morin0

Smash Lord
Oh man, a few people invited me to do a Falcon Punch a while back. Thought this forum would appreciate that!

Basically two gallons of fruit punch are dumped into a giant vat along with a bottle of grain alcohol. Then shots are poured with Watermelon Pucker and Bacardi 151 is layered on the top using a spoon. Light that **** on fire, yell FALCON PUNCH, drop the shot in a cup of the fruit punch mixture and start chugging. Slam the cup down and "show ya moves".

Highly amusing. Each "PUNCH" is something like 3 drinks, ha.
Say what now?

Hyper89

Smash Rookie
hi, im a player from Puerto Rico. I just moved to rhode island and cant seem to find the social thread for the east coast....so if anyone can link me up to the thread that'd be great :)....thanks.

:phone:

Morin0

Smash Lord
There is no social thread by region (well, for Smash 64 that is). The closest that comes to mind for that is the compendium thread but that's for finding players in your area. Unless, that's what you were thinking of doing in said east coast social thread. Smashboards has forums for each region (and they do have social sub-forums) but they're mostly used for Melee and Brawl. But even then, mostly everyone has moved to Facebook for regional socializing.

M!nt

Smash Champion
oh god I cant stop listening to that goddamn ponponpon song ****

Top Bottom