• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
i still pronounce isai as is-eye, because ****, eye-zay-ah is an extra syllable and i can't be arsed to add that. i mean i'm not superman

Morin0

Smash Lord
Is "Isai" really that hard to figure out how to pronounce? Maybe if Isai had an h that would make it easier? I once heard someone pronounce Isai "ay-sai" and thought it was hilarious. In Spanish, it would be pronounced "i-sa-i" with the I's sounding like the letter E.

:phone:

kys

Smash Ace
quick google search yielded some results

'There are many theories pointing to the origin of the name 'Oreo', such as the Greek word 'Oreo', meaning beautiful, nice or well done'

you're obviously wrong and there is clearly a connection to the greek word
Now that we're being more civil let me explain more clearly. Some dude, about 100 years ago, came up with the name oreo to describe the sandwich cookies that we all love. It's possible, I'll grant, that he got it from the modern usage of your Greek word. It's also possible, if you read, that it comes from the French word "or" meaning gold (I don't know anything about French; I had to google that), or the Greek word for mountain, "oros". The problem is that none of these are an exact match. We don't know the guy who came up with the name; we therefore cannot assume high context. Because it's also possible that it's a just a name he came up with, and it just happens to have pronunciation similarities to the aforementioned words.

In language, when we're trying to find the origin of a unique word (and Oreo definitely applies), you start with ancient texts, going back as far as possible. What one would want to look for is texts that talk of a banquet, or a feast or any kind of a meal, and find words that describe something along the lines of a dessert, a delicacy, or maybe a type of milk...anything that could help someone connect an ancient Greek root with the English Oreo that we have today. Then you track that usage through history and if it follows along the path and evolves into what you want, you have sufficient proof.

Language study is fickle, imprecise, and highly debatable. Translating and transliterating are 2 different things. The former can be a huge pain in the neck. Translators don't get enough love. My point is that you can't point specifically to one POSSIBLE definition and say, "Yep, that's it." It's lazy.

+1 rep points to anyone who actually reads all this.

Sangoku

Smash Master
"Or" is indeed gold in French. Hearing or seeing oreo definitely doesn't make me think of gold though. I mean I would never have thought the word "or" was used there. Maybe because it's only a two-letter word and we find it in a lot of words already.

Channighan

Smash Ace
Why is Gav so hated?

Basically the title, I just wanna know, because all I ever see Gav do is put his ".". And it seems he's been getting put-on blast a lot.

:phone:

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^lol pwnd.

Gav never showed at Squail's thing, so I have a reason :p

almost had street cred Gav... almost.

@Malva not telling how he says his name, >_____________>

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
don't capitalize the m in malva

gav is often pooped on because of his attitude toward losing against players he thinks hes better than

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
gav is a wonderful young man

i use his amazing strategy of counter-counter picking people

and i totally forgive him for stealing australia's:

The Star King

Smash Hero
>___> that's not Australia's at all I've been doing that since I was like 12

I would do it here all the time but 10 char limit

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
nuh

in the long long ago there was once a player named dark

and sometimes our great server kept ****ing up because it was run off a guy called desiree's home computer. this meant occasionally what you typed would not appear on the screen until you typed something else

so dark had a an amazing idea of typing '.' whenever the server lagged

hence the '.' was born. over time '.' evolved to be useful in other situations, like after a long and awkward post

true story

The Star King

Smash Hero
Nope. "." is used in certain situations where "..." doesn't quite fit. They have a very different tone (I'm being serious). "." is much more abrupt and feels more dismissive and more of an immediate reaction, while "..." is more like "I took a long hard look at what you just said and I still have no idea what to say". Or something.

oh wow i forgot about that guy

its fine if star king invented it

because SK = me and im australian, so australia did it first obv
Well if the non-Australian side of us does it Australia doesn't get to take credit

The Star King

Smash Hero
That doesn't explain Gav. Pretty sure he started doing that independently.

It's not a hard thing to start doing, you see.

Maybe Gav is secretly Asian and meets nobody IRL to keep his secret!

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
nar when gav was banned from galaxy for whatever reason he was on desiree's a lot, and then shortly after he started just logging on, dotting, then leaving

was weird

jasper is the new dsc also guys

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
yeah but all the photos of him going to germany and drinking a ****tonne of beer gives a bit of evidence to him being at least 18.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
oh well

i'll try to get PANCAKE MASTER to come on more, he's gotten okish from watching james and i play all the time

also, there's this nintendo game called fire electric pen. made by the japanese. it's essentially the best game in existence.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
nothing is as good as ninja baseball batman

but when we move out, instead of flipping a coin to decide something, it will be determined through fire electric pen

or if not a falcon ditto, because that's basically 50/50

Top Bottom