• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

The Star King

Smash Hero
Speaking of chicks, happy International Women's Day!

Go do something nice for those ladies in your life

TANK64

Smash Lord
women's history month apparently too

also, Oreos turned 100yrs old for those who don't keep up with the super important.

and leather jackets are definitely s tier. And there are all sort of blazers (are you just grouping them with sports jackets?). What about leather blazers... This could get complicated.

kys

Smash Ace
bomber jackets are s tier

fun fact: oreo means nice (tasty) in greek
Sorry to be a nerd, but that's not really true. There is a greek word "oraios" (pronounced o-rye-us...and where is my damn greek font?) which means nice. However, the words kalos and eucharistos are much more common usages for the word "nice" (especially kalos), and even those are better translated as "good". I have never, ever seen "oraios" used in an eating context with any readings I've come across.

I've also been told that oreo comes from the French "or" meaning gold, or the Greek "oros" meaning mountain. Conclusion? Some guy just named them oreos and a couple of people have tried waaay to hard to come up with a reason behind it.

In conclusion, oreo doesn't mean *****.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Those live streamed matches with King Funk were by far the most fun I've had on 5 frames. The ratio of hilarious ****:time was ridiculously high. Just ROFL. Those Samus dittos LOL.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Those live streamed matches with King Funk were by far the most fun I've had on 5 frames. The ratio of hilarious ****:time was ridiculously high. Just ROFL. Those Samus dittos LOL.
Those Samus dittos indeed. xD

I really enjoyed all those games. For 5 frames they were really full of cool stuff.

I'm going to a tourney this weekend but let's play on sunday maybe? ^^

SSBPete

Smash Lord
Sorry to be a nerd, but that's not really true. There is a greek word "oraios" (pronounced o-rye-us...and where is my damn greek font?) which means nice. However, the words kalos and eucharistos are much more common usages for the word "nice" (especially kalos), and even those are better translated as "good". I have never, ever seen "oraios" used in an eating context with any readings I've come across.

I've also been told that oreo comes from the French "or" meaning gold, or the Greek "oros" meaning mountain. Conclusion? Some guy just named them oreos and a couple of people have tried waaay to hard to come up with a reason behind it.

In conclusion, oreo doesn't mean *****.
you're so insanely wrong it's laughable

do you have 4 greek grandparents who only speak greek? do you have 2 greek parents who speak in greek? did you go to greek school from the age of 8? did you live in greece for a month? were you brought up in greek culture from birth?

i'm sorry to burst your bubble but oreo is the most common greek word used to describe food as nice. i, as well as tens, possibly hundreds of other greek people i know use oreo to describe nice tasting food.

read that, *****

asianaussie

Smash Hero
to be fair, i pronounced the chinese word for 'plastic' incorrectly for about 16 years (as my parents did), until my caucasian teacher corrected me

went home and my parents were completely oblivious to the fact they had been doin it wrong

it was a dark day for asians everywhere

The Star King

Smash Hero
Sophomore year, I found out I've been pronouncing "women", "colonel", "iron", and "chasm" wrong.

Speaking of which I'm pretty sure you were pronouncing "pivot" wrong on your stream King Funk ;P

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
What's everyone else's favourite racist stereotype?
aborginals. i miss being racist to all of them back at high school. the jokes were HILARIOUS

what do you call one aboriginal on the moon? a problem. what do you call a million aboriginals on the moon? problem solved.

HAHA racism

The Star King

Smash Hero
i have come to the conclusion that i pronounce everything completely wrong

i mean, i used to pronounce epitome as 'epi-tohm'

HOLY **** LOOOOOOOL

YOU REALLY ARE ME

this is just weird. Exact same word, exact same mispronounciation. I'm being completely serious right now wow WTF

EDIT: Actually not sure if "tohm" is supposed to be like the word "tome" or "Tom". If it's the former that's how I pronounced it.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Well I am an outcast to the Korean hivemind at school so it would make more sense if I'm actually Chinese, or whatever the hell you are

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Guys there is free live sonic fanfiction going on in galaxy right now

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
(08:29:50PM) <Falcon> nope
(08:29:56PM) <Falcon> Ike I fight for my friends

They switched to fire emblem sorry aa

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yo, no joke, I used to say "epi-tohm." Dead serious.

Also, I was smashing with like 9 guys tonight and 5 of us all used to pronounce Isai "iss-eye"

kys

Smash Ace
you're so insanely wrong it's laughable

do you have 4 greek grandparents who only speak greek? do you have 2 greek parents who speak in greek? did you go to greek school from the age of 8? did you live in greece for a month? were you brought up in greek culture from birth?

i'm sorry to burst your bubble but oreo is the most common greek word used to describe food as nice. i, as well as tens, possibly hundreds of other greek people i know use oreo to describe nice tasting food.

read that, *****
Game on.

Being Greek (apparently), I'm surprised you don't know the difference between ancient Greek and modern Greek. Just like there's a difference between modern English and old English...every language evolves NOOB.

Have I been balls deep in Greece? No. Have I studied 5 years of Greek, 4 years of Hebrew, 5 years of German, 1 year of Latin (lol), and 4 years of Spanish? You bet your sweet ***. Did I study etymology that whole entire time? Do I know how language works? Does a bear **** in the woods? Look up etymology because I probably lost you there. Big words and all.

What does this all mean? Let me summarize. What happened in Greece the last 100 years means ****. Who your parents are means ****. What Greek culture is today is ****. How many years you spent humping the ruins of the Areopagus means ****. You gotta go waay back, and back then there was simply no comparison because no ****in oreos existed, unless Socrates was wiser than he let on.

English and Greek use different alphabets for Christs' sake. I'll grant there might be similarities with MODERN GREEK USAGE, but to say that one word can exactly translate into another word is naive and asinine. Read that, *******.

TANK64

Smash Lord
Also, I was smashing with like 9 guys tonight and 5 of us all used to pronounce Isai "iss-eye"
I think everyone and their mom did. Then I randomly heard from a friend of mine that Isai introduced himself as "iss-eye" naturally. Also I'm ASSUMING he's latino, and ASSUMING that's how you would pronounce it anyways, but this could all be wrong...

Isai, could you please shine some light on the situation that is your name pleeeeeeease :D

SSBPete

Smash Lord
Game on.

Being Greek (apparently), I'm surprised you don't know the difference between ancient Greek and modern Greek. Just like there's a difference between modern English and old English...every language evolves NOOB.

Have I been balls deep in Greece? No. Have I studied 5 years of Greek, 4 years of Hebrew, 5 years of German, 1 year of Latin (lol), and 4 years of Spanish? You bet your sweet ***. Did I study etymology that whole entire time? Do I know how language works? Does a bear **** in the woods? Look up etymology because I probably lost you there. Big words and all.

What does this all mean? Let me summarize. What happened in Greece the last 100 years means ****. Who your parents are means ****. What Greek culture is today is ****. How many years you spent humping the ruins of the Areopagus means ****. You gotta go waay back, and back then there was simply no comparison because no ****in oreos existed, unless Socrates was wiser than he let on.

English and Greek use different alphabets for Christs' sake. I'll grant there might be similarities with MODERN GREEK USAGE, but to say that one word can exactly translate into another word is naive and asinine. Read that, *******.
quick google search yielded some results

'There are many theories pointing to the origin of the name 'Oreo', such as the Greek word 'Oreo', meaning beautiful, nice or well done'

you're obviously wrong and there is clearly a connection to the greek word

Top Bottom