• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Olikus

Smash Champion
I haven't watched tennis in a while and I used to watch a ton. Maybe I should start catching up ;P
same goes with me. I followed nikolay davydenko for a while. Really cool playstyle, and allways just being a tad behind nadal and federer. Two last years his been much worse for some reason, maybe the age is catching up on him. SO havent watches too much lately. Guess I need a new favourite to follow. Gael Monfils pretty cool.

Battlecow

Play to Win
So, I was playing sheer today, and I was feeling pretty good because I was winning and stuff

and after a while, he asks me why I never try any non-standard falcon combos (I have a really stolid playstyle, I actually thought that I was playing pretty flashy for me with random up-B's and pivot-grabs and nairing out of fthrow even though sheer doesn't DI out of fairs, which will show you how low I set the bar for "creative" play). He wasn't mad, he was just curious. Anyways, I told him that I was more interested in winning than in being cool, and that I used whatever was dependable.

King Funk is prone to saying the same things, but I'm interested to know- is being flashy important to improvement? Let's say that I'm concentrating on my spacing, I'm trying to figure out the best way to avoid this, that, and the third, I'm paying close attention to every aspect of my game, but every time I get a grab I use the quickest and dirtiest route to the kill--will this impede my progress? Good players are generally flashy, but I'm not sure about the cause and effect there.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
learning flashy stuff is one of the best ways to familiarise yourself with a lot of your character's little nuances

moreso in traditional fighters than smash, but still

also you'll get called boring

boringcow

asianaussie

Smash Hero
yeah, tipper u-air is an especially useful ender and low-percent edgeguard, as is pivot off edge > aerial

idk if those are *flashy* though

some flashy stuff like pivot reverse d-tilt (i have edgeguarded with this before) is dumb though

SSBPete

Smash Lord
being flashy can improve your control with the character i.e. tech skill

sometimes when an up-b wont ko an opponent, a falcon punch or slightly more flashy ending will suffice

i dont know how true this is, but i've always thought that being super flashy can actually intimidate your opponents too

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah, I'm not talking about when it's more effective. I can do uair-pawnches and stuff (I mess them up sometimes but that's obviously a problem and it's the kind of thing I'll have down pat soon). But honestly, on dreamland against fox/falcon, it's pretty rare that some fancy thang (really fancy, not like pivot off aerial or tipper uair [LOL notflashy]) would get you the kill. People just feel bad about fthrow-dair.

There might be some merit in the control hypothesis, though, and there's definitely merit in the boringcow hypothesis.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
if it makes you feel better, i feel perfectly fine being f-throw d-aired if the opponent taunts after

moreso if i just beat them on hyrule

rushdown, of course :cool:

The Star King

Smash Hero
flashy stuff is useful occasionally. with falcon there are certainly times I kill someone with a "flashier" combo when uairs -> upB would not have killed
I think he mostly meant impractical. If it killed when something standard wouldn't then it was practical even if it was flashy. I'm basing this assumption off him contrasting flashiness with "going for the quickest and dirtiest route to a kill".

It's hard to say, but I'm leaning towards no. Going for jab -> shinejab -> upsmash when just jab -> upsmash would have killed isn't going to help much. I definitely don't think you should do the same stuff over and over, though - you should try to search for better options. i.e. a ton of people in this community would Fox dtilt/utilt -> dair, but I thought this was dumb after replacing the dair with an uair and finding it way better. I guess what I'm saying is don't accept community standard as the best option.

I try to play flashy because I find it fun, not because I thought I would improve from it.

BTW I think it's funny that Sheer called you out for that when he's pretty stagnant himself (or at least his Fox is) IMO.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
^^ wut ballin said. And this is coming from least flashiest playerest ever.

That being said I enjoy standard comboing my opponent every time and/or gimping them, so I'll do it and enjoy it when I can cuz in the end its all about how much fun I'm having

TANK64

Smash Lord
practicing flashy stuff when it isn't necessary will allow you to do it in those few cases when it is actually helpful
^^It all comes down to this sentence.

Also, things like consistence edge canceling, or other "flashy" movement that many not be necessary (or even hurt your gameplay while you start it implement it) will end up helping control your char so much better; it will improve you gameplay in the longrun and contribute to your spacing.

That's why I think that isn't not a coincidence that the very top players are often so technical. To be the very best you have to know everything about you char (all the chars?), and every nook and cranny about this game- have every option. They all had to practice those seemingly random rare "flashy" things at some point to learn them.

Tavo flashy may not be necessary (as he's obviously already mastered his techskill), but other top players I think just see more options and can execute them.

also what StarKing said about not always accepting community standard as best is so true. (and anything that isn't community standard might be viewed as "flashy" ehh?)

Hope that addresses your question Battlecow.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
what i meant was that practicing flashy stuff when it isn't necessary will allow you to do it in those few cases when it is actually helpful
Great quote.

Look at Tavo's Falcon on hyrule. He's really flashy AND most of his combos end in death.

Upsmash upair falcons don't have anywhere near the success Tavo has on hyrule. All his "flashyness" and experimentation has resulted in timing and move knowledge normal falcons* don't have, which leads to much greater success in comboing.

So yes, IMO, being flashy is an essential step in improving.

EDIT: Isai is another great example. He simply has much greater move and timing knowledge than everyone else which results in much higher death combo success rate.

Battlecow

Play to Win
You guys are probably right

I should do cooler things

guess I'll bring the ol' 64 home this weekend and try out random **** in training mode

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
You know you're getting better when you're constantly fast falling everything.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Sooo my internet is not reliable enough to play online for any period of time. Looks like i'ma have to rough it on console for a while :(

:phone:

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Console is cool, but I'm really proud of all that I learned purely from online play. I hope more online players like me show up at events like Apex because playing on console for the first time is such a great experience. ;)

Dext3rM.

Smash Apprentice
Console is cool, but I'm really proud of all that I learned purely from online play. I hope more online players like me show up at events like Apex because playing on console for the first time is such a great experience. ;)
agree i proudly learned all online in a lot of frames hope to go to the next apex, would be fun !!

Olikus

Smash Champion
did the livestream section dissapear allready? You must be sherlock holmes to find all 64 sections O__O

why cant all be at one place?

Top Bottom