• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

TANK64

Smash Lord
What is Battlecow talking about? You (as it IS now) can download any movie with DVD quality that is in the theater, or ones that are already out obv. They predicted it would crush the movie industry. Guess what, it didn't. They survived.

*Blockbuster went (virtually) out of business, but they was already going to happen when netflix took off, and later RedBox. Now RedBox is still doing great, and Netflix-meh, not so much. Regardless Blockbuster, Netflix, and old school rental infrastructure was unavoidably going out of the window with the digital age. Plus as Ballin' said earlier, people are still buying DVDs and BlueRays, and going to the movies (I know you said your earlier situation was hypothetical, but then went on to voice a serious concern that people would actually stop making movies).

High quality picture, CGI, video affects, and editing are pennies on the dollar of old production and every year it's getting better. There still will be good movies made... REALLY good goes (as far as effects go). The only thing that would take a "hit" would be the absurd $30million dollar star salary, because I don't know how they will afford that, and real explosions to look good can get expensive real fast also. I can't think of any real cause for concern.

The music industry is the same. Big scare, and then BAM... they were fine. Producing studio quality music is not a challenge anymore, and with internet there is more competition, yet everyone has a chance for self promotion (good no?).

Most artist I download from are giving it out for free in the first place. I don't think it's wrong if you 1) already bought it in the past or 2) is not for sale like a remix or just can't find were to buy it. YouTube has gotten ridiculous with there audio scan already. Someone uses 12 secs of a song for a video, or remix the song and they find it and remove it throw ads on. If SOPA got passed I can't begin to imagine the nightmare.

Thought (hoped) this discussion would have died by now, but guess I'll post this.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
My point with regards to movies was hypothetical-IF there was a way to experience the movies for free and legally to their full extent, THEN the industry would collapse and good movies would be a thing of the past. I'm disagreeing with the idea that a lack of intellectual monopolies would not hurt creative endeavors (although it's ridiculous that I have to, given how obvious it is to unbiased
whoa whoa whoa

hold the phone

are you implying hollywood movies are... good?

Battlecow

Play to Win
whoa whoa whoa

hold the phone

are you implying hollywood movies are... good?
That's right, semp. The Godfather was a terrible movie. The Shawshank Redemption was trash. Casablanca, we really could have done without. The Lord of the Rings would have been better if it was made with the trust funds of three chain-smoking young frenchmen.

It takes a special kind of fool to be surprised when someone holds the same opinion as the vast majority of their peers. Yes, I'm implying that hollywood movies can be good. I'm also implying that democracy is worthwhile, that eating **** is kinda gross, and that bacon is best when cooked.

What is Battlecow talking about? You (as it IS now) can download any movie with DVD quality that is in the theater, or ones that are already out obv. They predicted it would crush the movie industry. Guess what, it didn't. They survived.

*Blockbuster went (virtually) out of business, but they was already going to happen when netflix took off, and later RedBox. Now RedBox is still doing great, and Netflix-meh, not so much. Regardless Blockbuster, Netflix, and old school rental infrastructure was unavoidably going out of the window with the digital age. Plus as Ballin' said earlier, people are still buying DVDs and BlueRays, and going to the movies (I know you said your earlier situation was hypothetical, but then went on to voice a serious concern that people would actually stop making movies).

High quality picture, CGI, video affects, and editing are pennies on the dollar of old production and every year it's getting better. There still will be good movies made... REALLY good goes (as far as effects go). The only thing that would take a "hit" would be the absurd $30million dollar star salary, because I don't know how they will afford that, and real explosions to look good can get expensive real fast also. I can't think of any real cause for concern.

The music industry is the same. Big scare, and then BAM... they were fine. Producing studio quality music is not a challenge anymore, and with internet there is more competition, yet everyone has a chance for self promotion (good no?).

Most artist I download from are giving it out for free in the first place. I don't think it's wrong if you 1) already bought it in the past or 2) is not for sale like a remix or just can't find were to buy it. YouTube has gotten ridiculous with there audio scan already. Someone uses 12 secs of a song for a video, or remix the song and they find it and remove it throw ads on. If SOPA got passed I can't begin to imagine the nightmare.

Thought (hoped) this discussion would have died by now, but guess I'll post this.
Ballin's book says that copyright law itself should be done away with. If this is the case, movies have no way of making money; I could go make my own copy of their film and sell it to the theater for less, they wouldn't receive a dime from DVD sales, and anyone could watch it whenever. The industry would collapse.

The part I bolded isn't controversial. No one's saying that not-for-sale or already-bought music is morally wrong. You seem to imply, however, that it IS wrong to download music if you haven't bought it and it is for sale, which means that you believe there is such a thing as intellectual property, yes? In which case, taking **** you don't own is wrong, and one shouldn't pirate movies or music unless one has a right to it.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Movies would not have the right to sell their product:

-To the theaters (when 3rd parties could compete with them and sell the movie at more or less the cost of making the reel)

-To the consumers (when they could easily download it for free or go and buy a DVD made by a 3rd party)

In addition, they would have no right to the characters, etc., and any merchandise (T-shirts or whatever) could be printed up and sold by 3rd parties.

IT'S ****ING OBVIOUS, WHY ARE WE STILL HAVING THIS CONVERSATION.

You've yet to present a single way in which the creators might receive compensation for their work. Music would still be made, because people love to make music and it's cheap, but hollywood movies would be a thing of the past.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
That's right, semp. The Godfather was a terrible movie. The Shawshank Redemption was trash. Casablanca, we really could have done without. The Lord of the Rings would have been better if it was made with the trust funds of three chain-smoking young frenchmen.

It takes a special kind of fool to be surprised when someone holds the same opinion as the vast majority of their peers. Yes, I'm implying that hollywood movies can be good. I'm also implying that democracy is worthwhile, that eating **** is kinda gross, and that bacon is best when cooked.
this is the best response

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Movies would not have the right to sell their product:

-To the theaters (when 3rd parties could compete with them and sell the movie at more or less the cost of making the reel)

-To the consumers (when they could easily download it for free or go and buy a DVD made by a 3rd party)

In addition, they would have no right to the characters, etc., and any merchandise (T-shirts or whatever) could be printed up and sold by 3rd parties.

IT'S ****ING OBVIOUS, WHY ARE WE STILL HAVING THIS CONVERSATION.

You've yet to present a single way in which the creators might receive compensation for their work. Music would still be made, because people love to make music and it's cheap, but hollywood movies would be a thing of the past.
not really sure what you're talking about at the beginning since you could obviously still sell your movie to theaters. no idea how third parties will get access to it before you've even contacted theaters.

i did present a potential alternate business model (on demand streaming). i'm sure there are many other things that people could try. and you know what? whoever figures out the best way will make tons of money, and then that business model will be copied by others who want to make tons of money.

and seriously at this point it should be clear that it's not "****ING OBVIOUS". if people can write a ****ing book arguing against you then it's clearly not obvious. pretty sure you're trolling though so w/e

TANK64

Smash Lord
Ballin's book says that copyright law itself should be done away with. If this is the case, movies have no way of making money; I could go make my own copy of their film and sell it to the theater for less, they wouldn't receive a dime from DVD sales, and anyone could watch it whenever. The industry would collapse.
Well, I don't support that. I believe in copywright laws and IP to the extent that you shouldn't be able to sell them. There is a difference between downloading a movie and distributing copies for your own financial gain (although I have a feeling we disagree on that).

and my post was more on piracy's affect on the industry not really the morality part of it, but there are always going to be problems with that. Just like patents help those who invent things, but control the use and in turn economic growth of the group. Kind of unavoidable I feel :/

The Lord of the Rings would have been better if it was made with the trust funds of three chain-smoking young frenchmen.
haha. Ok this was hilarious. BattleCow wins.
sig'd

M!nt

Smash Champion
hey battlecow did you ever do that 1p no damage Donkey Kong run ,I'd like to see it.

Battlecow

Play to Win
No, I didn't :/

So yeah I was a prick and I didn't know what I was talking about there. Thought I could pull it off, but I didn't understand how 1p mode works.

I have done it before, but that was in the KB era and I have no proof other than a screenshot I took six months ago

not really sure what you're talking about at the beginning since you could obviously still sell your movie to theaters. no idea how third parties will get access to it before you've even contacted theaters.
Good point. You could sell your movie to exactly one theater or theater chain before they copied it and sold it to everyone else. They're not going to pay you what it cost to make the movie though, unless it's an ultra low budget arthouse film.

i did present a potential alternate business model (on demand streaming). i'm sure there are many other things that people could try. and you know what? whoever figures out the best way will make tons of money, and then that business model will be copied by others who want to make tons of money.
Yup. And the people who make money will not be the people who make the movie. And thus, no hollywood movies will be made.

And please, ballin'. 9/11 truthers have written books too. Thermite, mang, it's not obvious.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Not that I support getting rid of copyright laws, but couldn't movie makers require buyers of their movies (movie theaters) to not copy and resell the movies as a requirement to buy the movie regardless of whether copyright laws existed?

tank is so good at this movie topic

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Good point. You could sell your movie to exactly one theater or theater chain before they copied it and sold it to everyone else. They're not going to pay you what it cost to make the movie though, unless it's an ultra low budget arthouse film.
sure they would else you wouldn't sell it to them and they wouldn't make any money

Yup. And the people who make money will not be the people who make the movie. And thus, no hollywood movies will be made.
what?

i'm pretty sure you're intentionally being obtuse at this point

And please, ballin'. 9/11 truthers have written books too. Thermite, mang, it's not obvious.
lol. comparing university researchers to 9/11 truthers.

Not that I support getting rid of copyright laws, but couldn't movie makers require buyers of their movies (movie theaters) to not copy and resell the movies as a requirement to buy the movie regardless of whether copyright laws existed?

tank is so good at this movie topic
certainly possible on a small scale - e.g. with theaters. probably not enforceable when it comes to distributing DVDs or whatever.

You guys debating is pointless. No one will say they're wrong and nothing of what you say will influence SOPA or non-SOPA.
sweet sweet irony

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
^^I saw a documentary recently. Had the opposite issue....

On a non-bad pun note, I recently saw The Artist, wonderful.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'm tempted to buy premium just to unprank myself

I wanna see if I'm a smash lord or a god or a legend or a champion or what

TANK64

Smash Lord
@Clubba. I honestly didn't. Prolly Kero.

Had some fun camping yesterday :awesome:

Love camping.

Finally finished True Grit. Liked it.

Then watched Pan's Labyrinth. Always a fav :awesome:.

Damn, the boards are DEEEEEEEAD.

Olikus

Smash Champion
no its actually starting to be hip to have a yellow name, since everyone in the 64 section have some kind of other color.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah I'm tempted to change to yellow a lot of the time cuz it's more starry

But purple is the royal color so it can also fit my name

I want that neon yellow color that was given to some group I don't remember, it looked hawt. A pink name would be cool too.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I'm tempted to buy premium just to unprank myself

I wanna see if I'm a smash lord or a god or a legend or a champion or what
As per the guide
Smash Rookie 0-24
Smash Cadet 25-74
Smash Apprentice 75-199
Smash Journeyman 200-499
Smash Ace 500-999
Smash Lord 1000-1999
Smash Champion 2000-2999
Smash Master 3000-4999
Smash Hero 5000-9999
Smash Legend 10000-19999
Smash Obsessed 20000+

So you would be like me, a Smash Master/Smashter, you are close though to Smash Hero

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
my actual favorite title is the Smash Bash one due to the bold but I prefer having this color (lolBR)

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
smash champion is da bess

i think neon yellow is writer or something?

i think i like cyan is one of the best, given by being a smash researcher

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
pardon me princess

finished little busters yet?

p.s not sure if can afford qld for now, especially considering you aren't coming back with us

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i never said i wasn't, i can definitely go back, but i want to know when, given flight times aren't particularly liberal

im on the second last route of vanilla busters (book girl <3) and ecstasy isn't translated yet so boo

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
we'll see

only problem is dean is broke as **** and we won't have endless pockets james there to help pay for petrol or spend up to $500 on buying us an asian lunch.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
um, chinese new year just happened

so my pockets are lined with gold and wontons

i can pay for more than what im supposed to, but i expect cards in return at some point

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
i'm in then, thanks for paying for everything ever

new dad of erotic children episode is out btw.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
put up with airfares for now, i'm pretty sure i'm getting a job with qantas soon so i can get 90% off airfares for family and friends as long as i accompany them

i think it's the best show of the season bar like nisemonogatari

mirari nikki still on top however

asianaussie

Smash Hero
mirai nikki i dunno

it's enjoyable but i actually end up pausing halfway through to watch 6 or 7 episodes of yugioh gx (i wish i was joking)

nisemonogatari is in a different plane to the rest of the shows tbh

and have fun grounding planes

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
you're a fool, yuno is like the one yandere character i've legitimately enjoyed watching, and the reason is because she's ****ing crazy yet brilliant at the same time. new op is kinda lame though

i dropped gx at like episode 50, how can you stand it?

and i think grounding planes would be hella fun lol, imagine the power i hold!

Top Bottom