• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Mahie

Smash Lord
dash pivot uair bair bair upB ( or pivot uair bair dair) ? Just a flashy idea, but I think it should combo.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Oh..you meant near the ledge...I thought you meant at the ledge. Much less awkward then, and I'd go with the other two's suggestions.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
You are Captain Falcon, and you've just grabbed a 0% Fox near a ledge (you are facing the ledge).

What is the best follow up?
If your far enough away to up smash, up smash

If you are close enough to go off the stage and rising up air (into up b) then do this.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
If you are right to the ledge try one of those

-fair to nair
-fair to dair
-fair to uair to up+b

The last one is kinda tricky with very few space to start running.

D

Deleted member

first two sound impossible to land

the 3rd one is good most of the time but f-air can be DI-ed out of if they DI inside really hard

and you don't need to run.. he's at 0 percent

if you want to be fancy try doing f-throw, turn around b-air to b-air

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Fthrow --> Pivot Bair--> Top hit box Uair

yum yum

Usmash is best though if you can fit it in, other wise, just try to end with Nair

Fair-->Nair dun work? o.o

having to buffer for SH Uairs is a pain eh Nixxxon?

DMoogle

A$
OK as far as specific distances go, what I'm using to practice with is going to Dreamland in practice mode and manually pushing Fox off the left side of the left platform so he's on the base platform. A little farther is fine too. The length is about the size of a character. Definitely not room enough to follow up with a ground attack like u-smash.

I would probably instinctively go for a Fair, but that's just because I'm aggressive without thinking.

Probably a better option would be bthrow then techchase.
Or maybe just fthrow alone, and edgeguard with bair, etc.

But I can see your point...it's definitely an awkward situation
The problem with Fair is that, unless you jump at just the right time (or have ample running space, which you shouldn't), you're only going to connect the second hit. However, when you do connect the second hit, you can safely follow up with an Uair to UpB.

B-throw to try techchasing might be OK (need to try it in real matches to see how effective it is), although it would be less reliable on the edges of Hyrule. Just trying to edgeguard off the bat probably isn't a great idea, Fox isn't particularly easy to edgeguard when he's so close to the edge and has his second jump (although I admit I need more practice with CF's uTilt to really say this). Anyway, it's optimal to get at least a hit before going back to the platform to edgeguard. There's got to be a better option.
what about nair? or Dair?

edit:

I would probably try to do a fair/uair to dair/nair or something... if it does work...
U-air is too slow to follow up with, Dair's hitbox isn't high enough to get Fox before he can retaliate, Nair seems better but it's not a true combo (however, I'm not 100% sure if Fox can retaliate. He might be able to with his reflector).
dash pivot uair bair bair upB ( or pivot uair bair dair) ? Just a flashy idea, but I think it should combo.
Pivot u-air is too slow and unreliable.
If your far enough away to up smash, up smash

If you are close enough to go off the stage and rising up air (into up b) then do this.
Definitely far enough away so that you can't up-smash.

Rising Uair to UpB doesn't work, it's too slow.
If you are right to the ledge try one of those

-fair to nair
-fair to dair
-fair to uair to up+b

The last one is kinda tricky with very few space to start running.
Fair to Nair seems to be the best option. Fair to Dair is too slow (because of the locatino of the Dair hitbox). Fair to Uair to UpB doesn't work because the knockback and stun from the Uair isn't enough to be able to follow up with UpB.
first two sound impossible to land

the 3rd one is good most of the time but f-air can be DI-ed out of if they DI inside really hard

and you don't need to run.. he's at 0 percent

if you want to be fancy try doing f-throw, turn around b-air to b-air
Too far away to hit the second b-air unless opponent makes mistake.
Fthrow --> Pivot Bair--> Top hit box Uair

yum yum
Pivot is very hard with such a small space.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Sorry, but pivot dair is NOT slow. I'm not talking about turning around on a spot and upairing. You have to dash, pivot right at the edge, then upair right away. It should get the uair tipper, and that is not slow.

D

Deleted member

you can pull off that method if you are perfect

you are talking about f-throw right at the edge right

DMoogle

A$
you can pull off that method if you are perfect

you are talking about f-throw right at the edge right
We're talking about a grab at or near (no more than two character-lengths away) the edge. If you think a back-throw would be better than a forward throw, please explain why. I think Blue Yoshi suggested a back throw with the intention of tech-chasing.

Mahie

Smash Lord
@Dmoogle : Imagine dash => Pivot => Edgehog. But you don't edgehog, you uair.

If you're very close to the edge on the right side of Hyrule, you can bthrow to the **** tent and have whatever you want afterwards.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
The problem with Fair is that, unless you jump at just the right time (or have ample running space, which you shouldn't), you're only going to connect the second hit. However, when you do connect the second hit, you can safely follow up with an Uair to UpB.

B-throw to try techchasing might be OK (need to try it in real matches to see how effective it is), although it would be less reliable on the edges of Hyrule. Just trying to edgeguard off the bat probably isn't a great idea, Fox isn't particularly easy to edgeguard when he's so close to the edge and has his second jump (although I admit I need more practice with CF's uTilt to really say this). Anyway, it's optimal to get at least a hit before going back to the platform to edgeguard. There's got to be a better option.
These suggestions were made before I realized you had a little room to dash. Fair doesn't get both hits in if you throw right from the edge. In any case, even if it's possible if frame-perfect, it's an unsound gambit against a low percent fox that can counter easily.

Going a bit off topic, I tested out some more fthrow --> attacks, starting at the edge (but not grabbing him out of the air). Turns out fthrow to nair can just barely work so that you land back on the edge without having to use your upB (I tossed out everything that required you use your upB to return, because Fox could get back faster and edgeguard you). I'd still go with bthrow in the end, though, if there are a bunch of ledges or walls behind you.

Yes, this is what I'm talking about.
If it's a falling uair...would you really be able to do two bairs after that though? and end with a upB?

Edit: actually, scratch that, I could see it working, but I'm pretty sure the dash-pivot slip-off uair won't reach the fox in time before he can react (jump back on stage, edgeguard, or both)

Mahie

Smash Lord
If it's a falling uair...would you really be able to do two bairs after that though? and end with a upB?

Edit: actually, scratch that, I could see it working, but I'm pretty sure the dash-pivot slip-off uair won't reach the fox in time before he can react (jump back on stage, edgeguard, or both)
I don't actually know if it works, the idea just popped into my head.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Ok, i remember that you can actually do a zero to death on this situation (grabbed fox 0% near the ledge)

Fthrow -> Usmash -> Usmash -> Uair -> Dair -> Edgeguard

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
I think

I posted this image so people don't get impossible ideas. :ohwell:

Short-hop F-air works, but it barely hits. A smart opponent would DI away to escape the second hit, then jump and maybe even edgeguard you.
You could also hit with only the second hit of the f-air. It doesn't really connect with a n-air or u-air in training, but it would probably work on an opponent. If you u-air, upb is a bad choice, because fox doesn't have enough damage and escapes rather easily. Therefore: grab to 2nd hit of f-air to nair is a good choice. You can edgeguard after it. If your opponent has no idea about DI, then just hit him with both hits and do the easy u-air to upb.

I tried turn around b-air but Fox was too far away and it didn't hit.

U-air exceptionally doesn't combo to anything in this case.

D-air is a terrible choice, since Fox doesn't have enough damage for a spike.

Finally, run, fall, second jump and then do a n-air. Then press back to land on the stage again without using your Upb. Proceed to edgeguard. If you edgehog you force him to use his third jump. I personally think this is the safest choice.

D

Deleted member

We're talking about a grab at or near (no more than two character-lengths away) the edge. If you think a back-throw would be better than a forward throw, please explain why. I think Blue Yoshi suggested a back throw with the intention of tech-chasing.
where did i talk about a back throw

dch111

Smash Journeyman
I think he was just mentioning that the discussion didn't have to be limited to fthrows.

Finally, run, fall, second jump and then do a n-air. Then press back to land on the stage again without using your Upb. Proceed to edgeguard. If you edgehog you force him to use his third jump. I personally think this is the safest choice.
This was the one I was able to do, and is the one I'd go with. Fair to Nair is too risky for my taste.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Ok, i remember that you can actually do a zero to death on this situation (grabbed fox 0% near the ledge)

Fthrow -> Usmash -> Usmash -> Uair -> Dair -> Edgeguard
O really?

i thought 0-death would be where they die at the end of the combo....

that tree in dreamland 0-death me once when i was brb!! (dont know if this can actually happen but you get the point)

NixxxoN

Smash Master
lol

Since the opponent has close to zero chance to survive your edgeguard (he can just reach the ledge, so you only need to do a spike), its pretty much like a zero to death

Or call it zero-to-edeguard-to-death if you want xD

BUT obviously you can fail this combo if he does good DI

DMoogle

A$
lol

Since the opponent has close to zero chance to survive your edgeguard (he can just reach the ledge, so you only need to do a spike), its pretty much like a zero to death

Or call it zero-to-edeguard-to-death if you want xD

BUT obviously you can fail this combo if he does good DI
You can't call something that your opponent can get out of (besides DI) a z2d, or else you may as well call Pika's bthrow near any edge a z2d.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I do f-throw > f-smash in Falcon dittos at 0% when I'm at the ledge. I just assumed it wouldn't work against fox... maybe it does.

And building on boom's post, if you taunt cancel to the ledge (without falling off... as in run to the ledge and taunt), you can pull off any grounded attack.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
well... for me, taunting as I get to the ledge is easier. I'm guaranteed to be right on the edge so that I can do any attack out of it.

I just remembered everyone holds the controller in a different way from me (or I should say I hold the controller a different way from everyone), so although I can do anything from a taunt cancel, people have moved their hand right off the buttons, so they can't.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion

Fthrow -> Usmash -> Usmash -> Uair -> Dair -> Edgeguard -> Death
O really?

i thought 0-death would be where they die at the end of the combo....

that tree in dreamland 0-death me once when i was brb!! (dont know if this can actually happen but you get the point)
Fixed :) now it's a 0- death

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Hey guys if I made a site JUST for ssb64 (something like allisbrawl) would you guys sign up? It should be Smashboards approved in order for it to STRIVE. Smashboards would remove the 64 boards and have a link that goes to the website. I don't know I feel like maybe the problem with us having our own category and all those forums is that it would cut down on smashboards' bandwidth/space

And yes, this is out of my money and not anyone elses. JUST for you 64 players.

RECAP: Smash site dedicated completely to ssb64. (there will be guides on how to get going with ssb64 etc) and a forum dedicated to discuss it (actual forums will be chosen by the community)

Skrlx

Smash Champion
...Yeah I thought so.

But smashboards needs to get its butt moving and get us our own section :mad:

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Fthrow -> Usmash -> Usmash -> Uair -> Dair is actually a zero to death (at least vs CPU), but you need a certain distance from the ledge.

Top Bottom