• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

asianaussie

Smash Hero
lol no, melbourne uni is the asian uni

from what i've heard, your uni is full to bursting with math nerds and pompous busman majors who think they're actually learning things

cheeseball341

Smash Journeyman
I know 2 kids at melbourne and they are both white. 3 if Pete goes there.

And anu is filled with overseas kids that just chose the best uni, australians that didnt get the atar for Sydney uni and me.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
the anu has the biggest superiority complex on the planet, the arguments that happen between mine and their facebook stalkerspace pages are staggering. i'mma apply for monash soon, maybe at the end of next year depending on what everyone else is doing. james apparently has enough money to mortgage a house despite being 17 years old, and he's thinking of doing so in melbourne so who knows. his work is paying him to go to uni too >_>

pete - i think so lol. not sure where kuro goes though.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
the uc definitely has an inferiority complex too, to the point where we are the ones starting said arguments on their page. it's silly and i hate the drama.

g'luck pete, funny how 6 years of school boils down to one number

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Obviously not if this is how you applied to Princeton. :awesome:
i wasn't smart enough to do that when i applied lol.

@ Ballin: I feel like it would be soo hard to write a paper focusing on some guy that i havent met or am even really intresed in at all.
And i dont have alot of time.. i waited way to long to start this ****.
it was just an idea for sucking up to the university without being totally dumb about it (e.g. i want to go to X because they have a good reputation - that's just bland and boring).

otherwise talk about some important experience you've had and how it has changed your outlook on things etc.

i wrote one of my essays on teaching myself how to play piano, and one on how i didn't make the basketball team freshman year but then practiced really hard and made the team sophomore year. pretty simple stuff (particularly the basketball one).

the formula is basically interesting story -> life lesson. the better your story and the better your life lesson the better your essay will be.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
the formula is basically interesting story -> life lesson. the better your story and the better your life lesson the better your essay will be.
This right here. I wouldn't recommend sucking up, because the admissions people will see right through your bull****.

Unless you have a legitimate reason to write about a professor, e.g. you did research over the summer with him, I'd wager it'd be a risky shot.

Battlecow

Play to Win
It's about impressing you with America's overall skill. As a patriotic American, SK knows that if he doesn't impress you compared to, say, Ciaza, Florida will grow flaccid and Standards & Poors will downgrade us to a C-

The Star King

Smash Hero
That's actually kind of true lol. I don't want aa to go home with stories of how the USA smashers are mediocre. NOT OUT OF PATRIOTISM OR WHATEVER THO :troll:

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
i have this weird thing where i sometimes play to people's standard. playing against nubs i seem to do a lot worse, but playing against someone like kuro i tend to be absolutely on fire

crazy

The Star King

Smash Hero
If you are better against people you play against for the first time that's a good sign that you're predictable/easy to adapt to. Or maybe your style has a large hole that makes you easy to destroy once discovered.

I'm the opposite where I do better against people the more I play against them. Some people like Sheer have an inflated opinion because of that I think.

cheeseball341

Smash Journeyman
If you are better against people you play against for the first time that's a good sign that you're predictable/easy to adapt to. Or maybe your style has a large hole that makes you easy to destroy once discovered.
I dont think he meant it like that, more like when he plays a bad player like dsc for the billionth time, he plays like ****.

But whenever he gets the chance to play someone good, like myself, he plays well.

Also I feel that teaching autopilot to adapt, or at least mine, is still slower then actively trying to learn what they do in certain situations (Wakeup etc). But it can adapt to more situations (because its hard to focus on so many things at once)

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
@ starkings post
Lol same terminology too.
It's true though. I do shakey at first when playing strangers,, and than by the third match I find that Im doing probably 2 or 3 times better than I had been doing initially. Not because I am good at adapting, but because everytime I play a new competitor I get the chills at first ^__^

:phone:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
im not anything more than the worst in the world

but we can all agree im still better than you

i mean, you'd need to have ****ty judgment to say dongle is bad at smash

SSBPete

Smash Lord
i have this weird thing where i sometimes play to people's standard. playing against nubs i seem to do a lot worse, but playing against someone like kuro i tend to be absolutely on fire

crazy
i definately play to my highest standard against kuro too.

his not better than, say, you, rom and i but he plays much faster than us in the sense that he puts continuous pressure on without taking much time to camp and he fastfalls everything

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
ive been getting extremely nervous and anxious when playing against even decent ppl so ive been workin on my autopilot. if you guys have played me in the last 2 days, you could probably tell (lost to everyone ._.).hopefully it'l help my game... ^^ can only hope

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
idk what they are talking about when they say auto pilot but my autopilot i just mean when im not in serious mode trying to win and when im not really into playing. not really going for combos and just going for reactions and such. meh idk how to explain @.@

asianaussie

Smash Hero
playing really good players is a good way to kill autopilot habits

even though i lost horribly every match it was more fun than winning on galaxy by randomly d-smashing

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
autopilot is best defined as that time when you are playing mario kart/other racing game and you phase out for a while, daydreaming maybe. you then snap out of this phase because you realised you just won the race. basically playing becomes second nature to the point you don't even have to consciously think about what you do, you just do it, like breathing. it happens in smash too, your brain just goes through the algorithms of: "well they're at X doing Y, so i'll do Z.

maybe a better example is teching, a lot of players don't think about what way they roll, if at all, they just do it on instinct. unfortunately that's very predictable so it's a good idea to try and consciously think about everything you do, especially if the outcome is poor for you.

capisce?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah what ciaza said. I often daydream and stuff while playing, and I still do well.

Also I feel that teaching autopilot to adapt, or at least mine, is still slower then actively trying to learn what they do in certain situations (Wakeup etc). But it can adapt to more situations (because its hard to focus on so many things at once)
I agree, but I feel that learning to adapt on autopilot is still valuable because... this is hard to put into words. But I think if you have a good autopilot it'll give you a good "base" skill level that concentration adds to... like, someone who's horrible on autopilot isn't going to be good even if they're focusing really hard. Like you said, you can't really focus on too many things at once, so your subconscious picks up things your conscious doesn't. I often know exactly what to do to punish what my opponent will do and I have no idea how, because only my subconscious knows.

Also, for people saying going on autopilot makes you predictable... I think learning to be not-so-predictable goes hand in hand with learning to read your opponent, autopilot or not. As you look for your opponent's habits, you will also notice how they are getting their first hits in on you.

DMoogle

A$
I know a lot of people are dissatisfied with the current layout of the various 64 forums that are scattered about (e.g. Online Events). So, in the Staff forum, I'm going to propose that they be changed so that it's more convenient for us 64 players to get to. Here's what I've written so far:
A lot of the Smash 64-related forums are scattered about, which is very inefficient and I believe leads to lower overall traffic for those forums, because many people aren't going to bother looking for them (for example, my SWF bookmark leads directly to the main Smash 64 board, since that's the only place I frequent on here).

Specifically, I'm referring to:
  • The addition of the "Smash 64 Online Events" in the "Online Tournament Listings." There aren't enough Smash 64 tournaments overall to justify separate forums for online and console tournaments.
    • Suggested fix: Re-create the old "Smash 64 Competitive Events" forum, and have "Console" and "Online" as optional thread title prefixes. Additionally, place a direct link to it within the Smash 64 boards (just like the "Smash 64 Videos" forum is now.
  • The "64 Back Room" placed in "Private Smash Rooms." The back room has been deadish for a while, and part of that reason is because it's so far away from everything else.
    • Suggested fix: Place a link to the Back Room within the Smash 64 Forums.

By Smash 64 Forums, I'm referring to: http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

If it's desired to keep the forums within the categories they're currently in, then fine. However, it would still be much better if there were shortcuts in the Smash 64 forums to those forums. If this:
  • Smash 64 Competitive Events
  • Smash 64 Back Room
  • Smash 64 Videos
  • Smash 64 Character Specific Discussion
...is too much clutter, then just create a "Folder" to keep them in, e.g. "Smash 64 Subforums", and have the links to each one contained in there.
What do you guys think? What should be changed?

ballin4life

Smash Hero
sounds good IMO, although I wouldn't say that "there isn't enough activity" to separate out console vs online tournaments - just that smash64 online tournaments should be easily accessible from the main forum.

also back room is still debating the epic team tier list, so I don't know what you're talking about there.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
im not huge on autopilot

its too hard to improvise because whenever you're in a new situation you'll never be able to adapt correctly

for example combos, you have to think two steps ahead. 'what will my next move link to?' you should be constantly asking yourself

Top Bottom