• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

The Star King

Smash Hero
its too hard to improvise because whenever you're in a new situation you'll never be able to adapt correctly
How often do you run into "new situations"? I rarely see anything completely new anymore after playing this game so much. And wut? If you learn to adapt, you'll comparatively better in new situations. That's kind of what adapting means.

for example combos, you have to think two steps ahead. 'what will my next move link to?' you should be constantly asking yourself
Lol, you can learn general combo patterns that work and combos won't require much thought.

my combos are all autopilot. it's just that my autopilot leads me to try continuing combos way longer than necessary until I eventually mess up.
I guess your autopilot has bad habits. Mine is actually the opposite lol, my autopilot does boring, practical combos.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
i think its good A$. personally would not change a thing in your proposition. hopefully our part of the forums gets better

SSBPete

Smash Lord
And wut? If you learn to adapt, you'll comparatively better in new situations.
i dont quite understand this but what i mean is i can never adapt to new situations on auto pilot. not saying completely new situations arise all the time but something slightly different, like a funny bounce off the tent or something similar will potentially lead to a loss of a ko.

Lol, you can learn general combo patterns that work and combos won't require much thought.
i conceed this point BUT similar to my first point, its too hard to continue a combo which you havnt done a thousand times before

admittedly a lot of my play has become auto pilot over time, most notably with DI but i cant play anywhere near my full potential without concentraiting on my combos

MATTS!

Smash Ace
And MATTS! said, "let there be light".... and there was light...

MATTS! said, "I am all of the AM'S, I AM!!".... and everybody bowed down.....

everybody made breakfast for MATTS! when he woke up.

The Great MATTS!

The Star King

Smash Hero
Anyone can, as long as they praise the great MATTS! and accept Kirby as their personal savior.

Kirby got counterpicked by Pikachu for our sins :'(

Battlecow

Play to Win
holy ****

Jousuke's set (must be Grand Finals, it's best of 3) with the falcon player (Ruoka Dancho? Would be so hype) is actually the greatest thing to ever happen. ****ing sublime, I swear they staged that ****. first vids on the channel, numbered 1 2 3; you all have to watch them

Red Mario's commentary is the best, lol.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
i liked last years (couldve been two years ago) where jousuke wins the tournement with a shield break then a charge shot combo

japanese smash has so much hype

titaniachkt

Smash Cadet
Should really put this in the melee section,but I like you guys more

For those of you in the US/want to go study there who haven't reached college as yet (not familiar with the system they use), Oberlin College in Ohio offers:

[COLLAPSE="'Super Smash Brothers Melee Theory and Practice'
0-1 Credit Brian Mazur, Mike Blejer and Quentin Jones EXCO-845"]
This course will teach students the basic, intermediate and advanced combat techniques in the video game Super Smash Brothers Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube. This course will also provide in depth lectures and discussions involving many controversial issues concerning video games in our society today such as censorship, stereotyped characters, addiction, and gaming as an evolving art form. Gamecubes, televisions and controllers will be provided by the instructors. Gamers and non-gamers are welcome and encouraged to take this course. Classes will meet for two and a half hours each week-one and a half hours during regularly scheduled discussion and class time, and one hour outside regular class time as a practicum to practice and refine skills.
[/COLLAPSE]
(source)

Maybe they'll come up with a Smash version of the course one day

ballin4life

Smash Hero
i've seen that one before. at least the UC Berkeley Starcraft class put in some math and stuff to make it look academic. "censorship, stereotyped characters, addiction, and gaming as an evolving art form" don't really apply to melee. at all.

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
does anyone else like commentary?
itd be cool (for me atleast) to have some good commentary on some of the matches. also we'd be able to hear teh hype in the background :D

asianaussie

Smash Hero
reel in some good melee commentator and tell them not to comment on any technical aspects whatsoever and instead hype **** up

then have a straight man who makes mundane comments about well-placed pivots or reads or summat

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
****ing stop looking for opportunities to spread your God damn anti-hyrule propaganda bovine warrior! Are you going to apex btw?

:phone:

Since I'll be out super early maybe I can handle some commentary .. the hype part

clubbadubba

Smash Master
since me and jimmy joe will both be out super early, I guess I'll have to handle the mundane 'nice pivot' commentary.

Someone did say commentary stuff would be set up for 64 right?

Battlecow

Play to Win
****ing stop looking for opportunities to spread your God damn anti-hyrule propaganda bovine warrior! Are you going to apex btw?
Nah, I'm a ****ing scrub and I hate myself for it, but I can't make it.

The bovine is confined to the midwest for the time being

O btw prince vs jousuke 12 char battle on yaneyane's channel if anyone hasn't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6-3ycsDOCs

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
apex: best hype commentator tourney wut? i liked dandan as a commentator as long hes not with tigerbombz :troll:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
stream the finals, international commentary effort go

get an australian in there and have them say typical australian things like 'bloody oath', '****qunt thing to do' and 'stop spamming flippin boomerangs'

you know you want it

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
not gonna lie, want to fly dandan to apex. :3 would be interesting to hear tigerbombz just trash talk isai and boom though... cannot wait.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Just finished playing Dexter after 2-3 months of no smash. I had fun and my interest in smash is back up. No more meanpeek

So can you guys start talking smash instead of every thread turning into StarKing/Battlecow dribble and Aussies talking about nothing but Australia.

Top Bottom