• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Alright well... I'm going to bed. But no more sharing pics of me, dammit.

At least wait until I come back. ;(

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I dreamed a Halo 2 Jackal Sniper got into Smash.

Every move was a one hit instant KO on frame one.
Bonus: penetrated everything. Even Invincibility.
I think I've dreamed of a character getting into Smash once or twice. At the very least, I usually have a dream about a Direct once or twice a year, oddly enough.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Alright well... I'm going to bed. But no more sharing pics of me, dammit.

At least wait until I come back. ;(
I mean you were still here to see the post and respond to it.

So not only did you already "come back", you actually never left to begin with.

Technicalities, Ralsei.

MooMew64

Y'all never gonna find pics of me.

The peck even is a MooMew, anyway? And are there really 64 of them? Is it a hierarchy where the highest number leads the rest as some sort of secret organization?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I heard that Godzilla V.S Kong will have more Titans instead of just Big G and Kong.
Adam Wingard: "Alright, we're gonna have more Titans in this movie, so which one of you guys want to be in?"
Every unseen Titan in KOTM: *Shouting loudly and raising their hands/claws/wings/fins/tentacles*
Adam Wingard: "Okay..."
  • Abaddon
  • Amhuluk
  • Baphomet
  • Bunyip
  • Kraken
  • Leviathan
  • Mokele-Mbembe
  • Quetzalcoatl
  • Sekhmet
  • Tiamat
  • Typhon
  • Yamata no Orochi

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
People love nostalgia.

It's why The Pokemon Company can slap the in-game menu sprites of the Gen 1 Pokemon on a hat and sell it for 29.99.

You may feel differently, but a good chunk of people are addicted to nostalgia because it reminds them of "The good ol' days."

Hell, I know people who refuse to play the Crash and Spyro remakes because they don't have the options for low-poly models.
That is just...... oh my god that makes me mad. That would look so horrible! Heck, if the games were like that then I probably never would have bought them in the first place. It’s why I never bought the ps1

And it’s the reason I still haven’t picked up SA1 or 2. The PS1 originals aren’t exactly hard to come by. If you want them to look worse then go play the original.

Nostalgia pandering is fine. But only from a story and content perspective. The only time I’ve ever seen it work from an art style perspective is Cuphead, because that was a style that lent itself to polish and detail and love and smoothness. Nostalgia is not a valid reason to keep trying to polish the turd that is pixel graphics and the gigantic post-taco bell deuce that is low-poly early 3D graphics. Normally I will defend graphics of all styles, but that’s more so when people are bashing a game for being three frames too shy of a perfect rate. But those old graphical styles just don’t look good and never did. They were a product of hardware limitations. If they were actually good everyone would still be using them.

Again. If you want to throw back to an old game, make the game they would have made then if they had modern tech. If naughty dog had had ps4 level tech in the 90s then Crash would not have been low poly. If the Genesis could render anything other then low-quality sprites then Sonic would have never looked that way.

I need to go to sleep. I’m pretty sure I’m rambling.

Shroob

Sup?
That is just...... oh my god that makes me mad. That would look so horrible! Heck, if the games were like that then I probably never would have bought them in the first place. It’s why I never bought the ps1

And it’s the reason I still haven’t picked up SA1 or 2. The PS1 originals aren’t exactly hard to come by. If you want them to look worse then go play the original.

Nostalgia pandering is fine. But only from a story and content perspective. The only time I’ve ever seen it work from an art style perspective is Cuphead, because that was a style that lent itself to polish and detail and love and smoothness. Nostalgia is not a valid reason to keep trying to polish the turd that is pixel graphics and the gigantic post-taco bell deuce that is low-poly early 3D graphics. Normally I will defend graphics of all styles, but that’s more so when people are bashing a game for being three frames too shy of a perfect rate. But those old graphical styles just don’t look good and never did. They were a product of hardware limitations. If they were actually good everyone would still be using them.

Again. If you want to throw back to an old game, make the game they would have made then if they had modern tech. If naughty dog had had ps4 level tech in the 90s then Crash would not have been low poly. If the Genesis could render anything other then low-quality sprites then Sonic would have never looked that way.

Excuse me but you just called pixel graphics 'turds'.

Yeah, no way sis. I ain't standing for that when there are plenty of pixel graphic games that are absolutely stunning.

You can have your opinions, which is fine, but you should know by now that generalizing is no good.

Snake, I say this with all honesty but, you really need to understand that your opinion isn't word of god. People can like things you don't like and not be inferior or wrong about it. You're basically saying someone who likes Shovel Knight or Celeste as having inferior taste than you, which ain't cool one bit.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Someone really gonna look at something like Chrono Trigger, Link to the Past, and Mario World and say that's ugly? Someone gonna really think games like Sonic Mania and Shovel Knight look bad?

...'Aight then. I 100% disagree, but to each their own

Also, 64 Mario is best costume next to 8-bit Mario.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I think pixel and low-poly styles look nice. Not everything needs to be in high-resolution smoothness with amazing lighting to look good.

Shroob

Sup?
The irony can't be lost here that the person saying they hate old school graphics is also the person who hates the direction of modern gaming.

MooMew64

Like, look at Oneshot: Despite its incredibley simplistic visuals, it is absolutely stunning how well the visuals play off of the narrative so well.

NGL as a Sprite artist myself, I feel ya gotta give it credit: Good sprites are really hecking hard to draw.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Morning people. I slept too much.

Also man reading the forum here while half asleep and still sort of dreaming is like the trippiest.

Shroob

Sup?
Like, look at Oneshot: Despite its incredible simplistic visuals, it is absolutely stunning how well the visuals play off of the narrative so well.

NGL as a Sprite artist myself, I feel ya gotta give it credit: Good sprites are really hecking hard to draw.
Hell, Undertale.

Is it the prettiest game? No, but I legit couldn't imagine Undertale in another style. It just fits too perfectly.

Shroob

Sup?
fine. Pixel and low poly graphics are amazing and every game should be like that. I’m going to sleep.
There's no need for extremes. You can have your cake and eat it too.

Just because a game doesn't support 4k HD graphics with triquadbifivelinerar shading doesn't mean it's bad.

.....like, when did graphics ever make a game good?

Why can't games with old artstyles exist alongside the new? There's very clearly a market for them.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113

Just because a game doesn't support 4k HD graphics with triquadbifivelinerar shading doesn't mean it's bad.

Why can't games with old artstyles exist alongside the new? There's very clearly a market for them.
Agreed.
Undertale is amazing and it works perfectly with the pixel graphics.
Like would you really want sans to look like this? lol
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....licy=Letterbox&imcolor=#000000&letterbox=true

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I don’t want 2D Sonic to permanently exist in pixel graphics. I don’t want Crash 4 to include a low poly mode and for it to become so popular that the series never does the N. Sane style again. When something becomes successful, it very quickly becomes the only option until it starts failing. If I could trust the market to do something different but still also give me what I like later then yeah, it would be fine. But that’s not how things work as much as I wish I was still getting a bunch of new hack n slashes and platformers every year while everyone else is playing their soulsborne open world sandbox shooter games.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Could get buried buy hey. So today I'm probably getting a new Switch decal for the back which means its good bye to this one.
Switch Pic 1.jpg

So I'm still probably making it Smash related but haven't decided.
What do you all think of it.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Byleth vs shotos is actual hell but shredding their Focus armor with uair/usmash is so cathartic.

Don't go barefoot to the rodeo. Motherfricker.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Byleth vs shotos is actual hell but shredding their Focus armor with uair/usmash is so cathartic.

Don't go barefoot to the rodeo. Motherfricker.
oh no whatever will i do

:GCRT::GCDR:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Those Pokemon numbers are insane.
Doesn't matter the quality of the game, it'll always sell by the millions. That's always been a known thing.

I've completely dropped Pokemon by now, I'm in an edgy nihilist stance with the series. I just don't wanna mess with it for now.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Doesn't matter the quality of the game, it'll always sell by the millions. That's always been a known thing.
SwSh have been out for only a few months and yet only need to sell a few hundred thousand more units to beat lifetime sales of XY and SM.
For ref:
SwSh: 16.06 million
XY: 16.44 million
SM: 16.18 million

This is going above and beyond what people might expect.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Even still, I don’t get any real unique personality from them, their voice lines, or their animations.

And there being a reason for that generacy doesn’t make it any less generic.
I wasn't agreeing that they were generic, I was simply explaining why you shouldn't expect them to scream "school" or "teacher". They're supposed to scream "monastery" and "edgy mercenary".

It's fine if they're not your cup of tea, but I just don't think you were being fair to them.

osby

Smash Obsessed
When there are over 70 characters in a roster with limited ways to express themselves, you're inevitably end up with multiple characters having superficially similar personalities.

Also let's be honest, people only really complain about personalities of "anime" or human characters. Most of the time it's less "they don't have personalities" and more "they are not wacky cartoon characters so I'm going to ignore any unique traits they might have".

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I wasn't agreeing that they were generic, I was simply explaining why you shouldn't expect them to scream "school" or "teacher". They're supposed to scream "monastery" and "edgy mercenary".

It's fine if they're not your cup of tea, but I just don't think you were being fair to them.
Ok. That’s.... fair. I honestly don’t think Byleth screams mercenary either. Like, if I new nothing about three houses or Byleth before playing, I would think they were some sort of warrior prince. They’re way to.... stoic.

Like, when I play smash and use the fire emblem characters, or when I imagine story scenarios for the characters. I always give them weird individual quirks to make them stand out. Marth is your typical stoic warrior king, Lucina follows suit because of like, heroic legacy or some ****. Roy is very zen and calm like Iron Fist in Ultimate Spider-Man. Ike is an Aquaman type “I am here! Outrageous” swashbuckling hero. Chrom has shotgun dad syndrome. Robin is very wise but has no patience for anything. Corrin is incredibly kind but incredibly dumb in a himbo/bimbo sort of way. But I’ve made all that up, And I do that because I don’t feel like any of them exude any unique personality traits in Smash the same way characters like Mario, Sonic, Bayonetta, or Samus do. If you were to ask me to describe who they are based on what you see in Smash alone, all of them would be described the same way I did Marth a few sentences ago. Snd that’s part of the reason I find them all so boring.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ok. That’s.... fair. I honestly don’t think Byleth screams mercenary either. Like, if I new nothing about three houses or Byleth before playing, I would think they were some sort of warrior prince. They’re way to.... stoic.

Like, when I play smash and use the fire emblem characters, or when I imagine story scenarios for the characters. I always give them weird individual quirks to make them stand out. Marth is your typical stoic warrior king, Lucina follows suit because of like, heroic legacy or some ****. Roy is very zen and calm like Iron Fist in Ultimate Spider-Man. Ike is an Aquaman type “I am here! Outrageous” swashbuckling hero. Chrom has shotgun dad syndrome. Robin is very wise but has no patience for anything. Corrin is incredibly kind but incredibly dumb in a himbo/bimbo sort of way. But I’ve made all that up, And I do that because I don’t feel like any of them exude any unique personality traits in Smash the same way characters like Mario, Sonic, Bayonetta, or Samus do. If you were to ask me to describe who they are based on what you see in Smash alone, all of them would be described the same way I did Marth a few sentences ago. Snd that’s part of the reason I find them all so boring.
How the hell all of them are similar to Marth?

Chrom and Roy are show-offs, Ike is super stern, Lucina is very polite in Japanese and scoffs at everyone in English for some reason, and there's no sign of Marth's elegance in Corrin or Byleth. Hell, even two Robins aren't exactly alike, just look how they threat Lucina.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Listen, this is Smash Bros, a fighting game where you smack people around and you get quips during and after battle.

If you want an accurate and nuanced depiction of each of their philosophies, you should play their games. Until then, you can think of the FE guys being split into:

1. Princely Nobles
  • Marth
  • Lucina
  • Roy
  • Chrom
  • Corrin
2. Stoic Battle Hobos
  • Ike
3. Talkative Smart-asses
  • Robin
Byleth lies somewhere in the middle of 2 and 3, smart guy but doesn't talk much.

Anything else is just cool superflous flair for a fighting game. screaming, smack talk, animations, etc etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom