• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
So how are y'all doing?

Me? I'm just breaking shields with Melon Byleth, rocking to Tearing Through Heaven, and having a good time.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Hot take because I’ve just been on a Sonic bender lately, but Sonic Mania is not a good game. The controls are just so.... I don’t even know how to describe it. Every level feels like and ice level and the spin dash is so nerfed that you can’t even use it where you should be able to to get up walls and ramps. If anything, ANYTHING, causes you to stop for whatever reason you actually have to BACKTRACK to be able to build up enough speed again to simply progress. Sonic Generations’s Classic segments are way better in terms of actual gameplay. I don’t care how much polish and live went into it. Maybe they should have focused on making it actually control well before adding in other playable characters.

And before you say it, yes I have dipped my ties in the genesis games. I got through all of Sonic 1 before my 3DS broke. And I did not have this same problem there so *shrugs*

Shroob

Sup?
All these Indie music ideas is just reminding me how good Granblue's soundtrack is, and how it has a literal 0% chance of getting in lol...

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I’m pretty sure it’s a far more technical problem then that. Something about the website icons and the game ones being different.
How has this problem not applied to all other newcomers though?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
And yet again it'll be another Fire Emblem rep.
oh **** Walmart is in Smash
I'm legit obsessed with Three Houses atm so I'm pretty thrilled with everything that we got. Byleth is extremely fun to play with the axe and lance moves being especially satisfying to land, Garreg Mach looks amazing and is easily the best stage in the game because my boys Claude and Dimitri get to chill in the background, and being able to play Smash while jamming to Between Heaven and Earth and Apex of the World is worth the price of admission alone.

Still can't get over how ****ing sick the house leader alts look, too.
how could someone not be obsessed with Three Houses? Got 525 hours on that game so far, and will forever have Fodlan Winds and Shambhala stuck in my hear
But uhh...yea

where those Byleth icons at, tho?
they'll be here once the war is over
Hot take because I’ve just been on a Sonic bender lately, but Sonic Mania is not a good game. The controls are just so.... I don’t even know how to describe it. Every level feels like and ice level and the spin dash is so nerfed that you can’t even use it where you should be able to to get up walls and ramps. If anything, ANYTHING, causes you to stop for whatever reason you actually have to BACKTRACK to be able to build up enough speed again to simply progress. Sonic Generations’s Classic segments are way better in terms of actual gameplay. I don’t care how much polish and live went into it. Maybe they should have focused on making it actually control well before adding in other playable characters.

And before you say it, yes I have dipped my ties in the genesis games. I got through all of Sonic 1 before my 3DS broke. And I did not have this same problem there so *shrugs*
unholy hot take for the Sonic Church to hear

D

Deleted member

the modmins are biased as heck

iirc, they had banjo's icon up within hours of his e3 reveal

it has now been an entire day after byleth's release and still no stock icon for em :drsad:
Didn't it take Terry months after his reveal to actually get a stock icon while Sans had one within hours of his Mii Costume reveal? Yeah that's hilariously biased if I'm remembering correctly.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Didn't it take Terry months after his reveal to actually get a stock icon while Sans had one within hours of his Mii Costume reveal? Yeah that's hilariously biased if I'm remembering correctly.
Sans is a top priority, so not surprising

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, yeah kinda does look bad.

Someone had to go out of their way to render the Sans out of the trailer while the readily available icon is......

giphy.gif

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
oh **** Walmart is in Smash

how could someone not be obsessed with Three Houses? Got 525 hours on that game so far, and will forever have Fodlan Winds and Shambhala stuck in my hear

they'll be here once the war is over

unholy hot take for the Sonic Church to hear
I’m gonna splurge on Sonic 1-4 on my Xbox One if I get more birthday money and then marathon through all 5 games before going to mania again and see if that makes a difference. But right now... I just really don’t like Mania. And the ammount of praise it gets scares me.

And this part is completely my preference but I really don’t like the pixel graphics. If they HAD to go 2D again it should have been something like Shantae or Hollow Knight. Like, actual drawn 2D images. But I would have preferred 3D Generations tyke graphics over anything 2D any way.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Note that we're still missing the Hero alts icons despite it being months since Hero's release and characters like Bowser Jr. and Inklings getting them for theirs.

It's pretty clear there's a bit of bias to which ones get priority.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Feel free to shoot me for this, but when Spyro came to CTR:NF, I wound up being dragged away from 3H and wound up never turning back. That game is something mighty, I tell you what.

Shroob

Sup?
Note that we're still missing the Hero alts icons despite it being months since Hero's release and characters like Bowser Jr. and Inklings getting them for theirs.

It's pretty clear there's a bit of bias to which ones get priority.
I'm not even sure what they mean from "On the site"

I don't see any alt costumes icons on the site unless I'm missing something, and yet we have a handful of them, are they not ripped from the game files?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I wonder, would it be possible to speedrun Half Life 2 if the Goose steals your mouse occasionally?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
To me, she’s very boring. She hits hard for sure, but she’s so slow that it becomes un fun to use her hard hitting attacks.

And I’m sorry but the stage is ugly with a muted color pallet and nothing about Byleth or their stage really exudes any unique personality or identity. Like, I can’t tell Garreg Mach is a school or that Byleth is a professor by sight or sound, I only know because i was told.

And while I’m at it I just don’t like Byleth’s design. The damn coat just irritates me, either put it on or take it off!

I’m sorry but Byleth just isn’t clicking with me. I gave her the old college try, but it just didn’t work out.
That's because Garreg Mach is a city with a large monestery that happens to have a military Academy attached to it.

Byleth is a mercenary who wound up in a teaching position at the monastery. Their design is more reflective of their mercenary side. Still, we see them hold a pointing stick in their entrance animation.

Shroob

Sup?
Me, "Let's go on Twitter and see what my friends are talking about!"

*One of my friends retweeted some Japanese player making in-game Piranha Plant vore with Byleth*

I'm never going on Twitter again.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’m gonna splurge on Sonic 1-4 on my Xbox One if I get more birthday money and then marathon through all 5 games before going to mania again and see if that makes a difference. But right now... I just really don’t like Mania. And the ammount of praise it gets scares me.

And this part is completely my preference but I really don’t like the pixel graphics. If they HAD to go 2D again it should have been something like Shantae or Hollow Knight. Like, actual drawn 2D images. But I would have preferred 3D Generations tyke graphics over anything 2D any way.
Mania was more of a tribute to the first few major Sonic games (and ignored 4 cause...yes?), so it being 3D wouldn’t have made sense for that type of occasion
Feel free to shoot me for this, but when Spyro came to CTR:NF, I wound up being dragged away from 3H and wound up never turning back. That game is something mighty, I tell you what.
well it is Spyro. I don’t need to shoot ya, but since you said “feel free to shoot me”...:ultgunner:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That's because Garreg Mach is a city with a large monestery that happens to have a military Academy attached to it.

Byleth is a mercenary who wound up in a teaching position at the monastery. Their design is more reflective of their mercenary side. Still, we see them hold a pointing stick in their entrance animation.
Even still, I don’t get any real unique personality from them, their voice lines, or their animations.

And there being a reason for that generacy doesn’t make it any less generic.
Mania was more of a tribute to the first few major Sonic games (and ignored 4 cause...yes?), so it being 3D wouldn’t have made sense for that type of occasion

well it is Spyro. I don’t need to shoot ya, but since you said “feel free to shoot me”...:ultgunner:
Just the art style. Not the gameplay. You can be a tribute to the genesis games without having the ugly 16 but graphics.

Shroob

Sup?
Even still, I don’t get any real unique personality from them, their voice lines, or their animations.

And there being a reason for that generacy doesn’t make it any less generic.

Just the art style. Not the gameplay. You can be a tribute to the genesis games without having the ugly 16 but graphics.
I mean you can but people do enjoy that stuff because it calls back to the og.

It like how the 64 Costume in Odyssey gave everyone playing Odyssey a collective nerdgasm.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Haven't been to this thread in a while. Is there anything new besides Byleth going on-

Me, "Let's go on Twitter and see what my friends are talking about!"

*One of my friends retweeted some Japanese player making in-game Piranha Plant vore with Byleth*

I'm never going on Twitter again.

I am completely and definitely totally okay with the posts that are being made currently. Yep. No way, no how, does this mental image disturb me, no sir, no ma'am. I'm fine.

In reality this just gave me yet another reason on top of the already existing massive pile of reasons I have to not like Twitter

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean you can but people do enjoy that stuff because it calls back to the og.

It like how the 64 Costume in Odyssey gave everyone playing Odyssey a collective nerdgasm.
And made me groan and roll my eyes. To me, graphics should only improve with time. If you really wanna make a throwback to something, you should try to make the game they would have made back then if they had the current tech. And they weren’t doing pixel graphics back then because they wanted to. They did it because it was all they had.

Low poly polygonal graphics are an even worse offender. It just does not look good and never actually did. We just got by because it’s all we had.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
And made me groan and roll my eyes. To me, graphics should only improve with time. If you really wanna make a throwback to something, you should try to make the game they would have made back then if they had the current tech. And they weren’t doing pixel graphics back then because they wanted to. They did it because it was all they had.
People love nostalgia.

It's why The Pokemon Company can slap the in-game menu sprites of the Gen 1 Pokemon on a hat and sell it for 29.99.

You may feel differently, but a good chunk of people are addicted to nostalgia because it reminds them of "The good ol' days."

Hell, I know people who refuse to play the Crash and Spyro remakes because they don't have the options for low-poly models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom