• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If he didn't care about him past Brawl then he wouldn't have gotten the Mii Costume in Smash 4, he wouldn't have mentioned wanting him in the first place in the interview talking about that costume, he wouldn't have gotten a spirit for him in Ultimate, and so on and so forth. Just because he's not a playable character yet doesn't mean he's ambivalent to that character, he does like him and has included him in the games in whatever way possible, and that shouldn't be ignored.
Hell geno is a profile pic for online. Which is reserved for big names characters and recognizable things from games for the most part.

Geno is very much on Sakurais mind.

I still stand by my theory that cloud and dragon quest had to get in first before square would negotiate geno. It be more profitable first if they could still their biggest franchises in smash over geno who would still be popular but could t exact be a free advertisement.

I think the lack of the geno costume, his treatment in his game and Sakurais desire to have him and the big two out of the way, bode pretty well for geno.

especially with his statement today and the mii costume leak which I believe. I could be wrong but I think Sakurai has plenty of love for geno still and he’s got a good shot

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
But Geno himself has nothing to do with Mario RPG's importance in leading up to Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi. He could have easily been replaced with another character designed with the sole purpose of dumping exposition on the player.
Paper Mario was originally gonna be an SMRPG sequel. SMRPG kicked it off and future Mario RPGs use mechanics from it. Geno and Mallow are basically the faces of SMRPG aside from the main Mario characters in the party.

And Geno was important to SMRPG’s story. You could easily replace Bowser with another villain, but that doesn’t mean he has no importance and not a lot of people like/love him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But Geno himself has nothing to do with Mario RPG's importance in leading up to Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi. He could have easily been replaced with another character designed with the sole purpose of dumping exposition on the player.

Incineroar was an outlier.
You could say that for literally anyone and it wouldn't change the argument:

"Banjo could be replaced by any other goofy anthropomorphic duo"

"K. Rool could be replaced by any other crazy fat lizard"

"Hero could be replaced by any other silent RPG protagonist"

Etc. Etc. that's not a point exclusively against Geno. Geno represents the start of an entire section of the massive Mario Franchise one which has a decently large legacy and lots of fans but go off I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Paper Mario was originally gonna be an SMRPG sequel.

And Geno was important to SMRPG’s story. You could easily replace Bowser with another villain, but that doesn’t mean he has no importance and not a lot of people like/love him.
Tbf Paper Mario being planned as a sequel means nothing as there's no guarantee any of the original characters would come back and be as important

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Incineroar was an outlier. I still tend to prefer more relevant characters though.
And yet geno is highly beloved and important to the story of a game that set Mario’s rpg future up. Going back to the roots and including would be a move many want.

doesn’t matter if you could replace him. If they did that character would probably still be the geno of this timeline. What matters is geno was there and is fondly remembered and loved by a lot of fans

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
geno was there and is fondly remembered and loved by a lot of fans
If, by "a lot of fans", you mean a very loud and vocal minority that has to grasp for straws to justify their niche character being prioritized over more significant ones, than sure, I guess. But whatever. I'm done. Keep on telling me how foolish I am for not supporting this super popular fan favorite character that's clearly so awesome and cool "he can one-hit a boss with 9999 damage so cool!". Only time will tell if Sakurai makes the logical and rational choice.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If, by "a lot of fans", you mean a very loud and vocal minority that has to grasp for straws to justify their niche character being prioritized over more significant ones, than sure, I guess. But whatever. I'm done. Keep on telling me how foolish I am for not supporting this super popular fan favorite character that's clearly so awesome and cool "he can one-hit a boss with 9999 damage so cool!". Only time will tell if Sakurai makes the logical and rational choice.
We don’t care if you don’t like or support him, it’s just the way you start complaining and act like what you’re saying is all fact, like you’ve done for other characters. You’re the one who’s been grasping at straws, here. And he has a lot more fans than on this site.

Heck, you were a Banjo denier and still acted like a jerk about it after his reveal.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You know that "vocal minority" you just through out was the same thing that people through out when siding against K. Rool and Banjo right?

What exact characters do you think are more probable, unique, likely, etc.? Like, what do you want because so far you've only made it a point that you don't want Geno.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
(A little question i wanted to ask.)
If Sakurai asked you to put a retro newcomer in Smash Ultimate, who would it be?
Centipede 2.gif

I would go with Centipede, and have it's design from the Pixels movie seen here. (I loved the movie, it was awesome.)

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If geno gets in this is gonna be good.

Also I’m guessing you haven’t played Mario rpg because if you had you would actually understand that geno is more the exposition and liked as a character and design aspect.
Also-

vocal minority.

that’s honestly trolling or pure blindness at that point. Geno is all over smash speculation online on every site in every poll. If you think it’s always the same people then I don’t know what to tell you kid. Because sure there may be some overlap but definitely not a full overlap.

And when geno constantly showed up in ballot polls, and was acknowledged on multiple occasions as a highly requested character by the director, your just not listening if you think that’s vocal minority

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If Sakurai asked you to put a retro newcomer in Smash Ultimate, who would it be?
View attachment 245623
I would go with Centipede, and have it's design from the Pixels movie seen here.
Geno if he counts.

If not, I’d probably just pick Balloon Fighter. Maybe Bomberman instead if he counts, though he’s still getting games so *shrug*

Once Popeye falls into the public domain and Nintendo nabs him like they wanted to long ago before Miyamoto made Mario, I know he’ll be in.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mainly want more female characters and relevant Pokemon (no more Gen 1, though).
I mean one of the most popular and probable female fighters, Lara Croft, is still "nostalgia pandering" so... plus I think 10 Pokemon is QUITE enough for a little don't you? Especially considering we got a new one this game, last game, in Brawl we got 4, and Melee we got a few...
Bridget from Guilty Gear.
Dat ain't retro

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 245623
I would go with Centipede, and have it's design from the Pixels movie seen here. (I loved the movie, it was awesome.)
Geno if he counts as CJ said but if not then Sukapon to be honest.

Sukapon has a very simple and easy design yet I think he would make for a very interesting fighter. Kind of like Rayman with him having no limbs as you can see in his assist trophy but he would have a very different moveset to Rayman if they both got in as Sukapon has way more of a wild and brash fighting style.

Edit: Or Mach Rider, Almost forgot about Mach Rider lmao

Last edited by a moderator:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
View attachment 245623
The dead monster from Monster Party

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
View attachment 245623
Frogger or dig dug have earned their spots imo and would be really fun

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
If there was a new Digimon fighting game, i would have Locomon as a newcomer which would Digivole into Granlocomon seen here.
Loco.jpg
Grand.jpg

Would be awesome to play as a freaking train and beat up other Digimon.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Sakurai just adds who he wants/likes, or characters that he thinks would have a sick moveset

if Smash actually cared about relevancy or recency beyond a certain few series we'd already have Rex and Spring Man lmao

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
The following 3rd Party Mii costumes are currently MIA from Smash 4:

- X
- Heihachi
- Lloyd
- Hunter Armor
- Rathalos Armor
- Chocobo
- Geno
- Gil

I'd be willing to bet the final FP character is Lloyd, and the first non-pass fighter is Geno.

If it's not Lloyd, I could see it being a Hunter.

D

Deleted member

The following 3rd Party Mii costumes are currently MIA from Smash 4:

- X
- Heihachi
- Lloyd
- Hunter Armor
- Rathalos Armor
- Chocobo
- Geno
- Gil

I'd be willing to bet the final FP character is Lloyd, and the first non-pass fighter is Geno.

If it's not Lloyd, I could see it being a Hunter.
We have yet to have a female DLC Character T_T...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Relevancy is just one of various and unreliable factors used to predict who might get in. How does it have any meaning in terms of who should get in?

On that note, there is no objective way of measuring who "deserves" to be in and I think the collective fanbase would do well to abandon that mentality.

- A pokemaniac who's never touched Super Mario RPG

D

Deleted member

Hi, guys! There are two things I want to say:

poyo wave.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/Hunt_Dog_Arts/status/1192306769105739777

I am going to leave this for y'all since it looks good and I bet none of you saw it yet. It is because of Terry that I bought the Fighters Pass yesterday. I am liking him thus far even though my girls are my mains no matter what. I told myself, "Self! **** waiting for the fifth fighter. Get that Fighters Pass now!"

So****e...
If y'all could do me a favor...

The woman I live with, who I call my stepmother, celebrates her 55th birthday today. She becomes senior citizen, ready to enjoy the benefits that come with it just like I do. It was July 1990 when she and her family took me in 'cause of my real family's passing around that time and I was, and still am, incapable of living on my own.

Sa...it would be nice if y'all show respect with birthday wishes or prayers or even your funniest memes, and I shall relay them to her. God bless every one of you here.

Sayonara :yoshi:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Fusion.png

So, I got kind of inspired and decided to do another Pokemon fusion, but this time without the PKMN Fusion generator sprite as a rough reference. I decided to try and combine Reshiram and Zacian, two of my fave legendaries. xD I don't know if I will actually finish the design and refine it or not.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Terry got me interested enough that I just downloaded King of Fighters 98 at Sakurai's suggestion.

Managed to get it for under 3 dollars thanks to Gold Points. Sweet.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 245623
One of the retro Atari IPs. One that’s actually owned by Atari. Without Atari, there would be no Mario or any other video game character. Heck, Nintendo used to publish for the 2600 pre-nes. I think the companies games are more suited to stages and spirits, but if Sakurai can glean a fighter from their lineup, I won’t judge.

Also, frogger would be tight. And Dig Dug.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Hi, guys! There are two things I want to say:

I am going to leave this for y'all since it looks good and I bet none of you saw it yet. It is because of Terry that I bought the Fighters Pass yesterday. I am liking him thus far even though my girls are my mains no matter what. I told myself, "Self! **** waiting for the fifth fighter. Get that Fighters Pass now!"

So****e...
If y'all could do me a favor...
The woman I live with, who I call my stepmother, celebrates her 55th birthday today. She becomes senior citizen, ready to enjoy the benefits that come with it just like I do. It was July 1990 when she and her family took me in 'cause of my real family's passing around that time and I was, and still am, incapable of living on my own.

Sa...it would be nice if y'all show respect with birthday wishes or prayers or even your funniest memes, and I shall relay them to her. God bless every one of you here.

Sayonara:yoshi:
Happy 55th birthday for your stepmother.
Explain.jpg

No matter what, we are all special. (and wholesome too.)

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Im loving Terry, as I expected to. Sakurai geeing out over SNK was a big bonus, he knows whats up. Im only really sad about no Garou costume and some weird music omissions despite shooting for 50 tracks (no Rugal theme, no Rock theme despite him being in the background ect.)

Shroob

Sup?
>Get to 99 KOs in Century Smash
>A KO trail hides a Samus missle, killing me on 99

I just wanna get 100 kos and never touch this mode again god damnit lol

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
I mean one of the most popular and probable female fighters, Lara Croft, is still "nostalgia pandering" so... plus I think 10 Pokemon is QUITE enough for a little don't you? Especially considering we got a new one this game, last game, in Brawl we got 4, and Melee we got a few...

Dat ain't retro
20 years ago isn't retro?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
There are various factors that I think make a good Smash character, popularity/relevancy being one of them--but not having one factor isn't automatically a strike against a character, all of it should be looked at in total. What Geno lacks in relevancy, he more than makes up in popularity among Smash fans. Banjo & Kazooie were no longer "relevant", but their popularity among fans is what got Sakurai's attention, and their unique moveset potential was likely a big factor as well. And we've seen what interesting things fan games have done with Geno.

It's why I think Geno would be a fitting final Fighter's Pass character (in the mindset of their original intention of it being the last character)--for a lot of people, it would be a big "who?", but would be a great inclusion for a lot of Smash fans, which is how I feel like this Pass was structured. I don't expect Geno to be the final Fighter's Pass character, but depending on how long the DLC hype train goes, he's likely near the top of the list.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
There are various factors that I think make a good Smash character, popularity/relevancy being one of them--but not having one factor isn't automatically a strike against a character, all of it should be looked at in total. What Geno lacks in relevancy, he more than makes up in popularity among Smash fans. Banjo & Kazooie were no longer "relevant", but their popularity among fans is what got Sakurai's attention, and their unique moveset potential was likely a big factor as well. And we've seen what interesting things fan games have done with Geno.

It's why I think Geno would be a fitting final Fighter's Pass character (in the mindset of their original intention of it being the last character)--for a lot of people, it would be a big "who?", but would be a great inclusion for a lot of Smash fans, which is how I feel like this Pass was structured. I don't expect Geno to be the final Fighter's Pass character, but depending on how long the DLC hype train goes, he's likely near the top of the list.
I just have no idea how the Geno ball even got rolling. I don't even know anyone who played SM RPG back in the day. I never knew anyone who played it when I was coming up. Seems so weird to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom