• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
its not labled KoF because its not FROM KoF. Its based on the King of Fighters tournament in FF, not based on the game, The King of Fighters

Sakurai legit explained that int he presentation
Yes. The tournament was called that in Fatal Fury and that’s why they named KoF the way they did. But that location has never appeared in a Fatal Fury game. And that stage isn’t just something new they invented for Smash because it takes so many design elements from various similar stages in, say it with me, King of Fighters. It’s not based on Fatal Fury because that arena was never in fatal fury. Not to mention it has all those camels from all sorts of SNK games. Just like King of Fighters. And the spirit board has characters from all over SNK. Just like King of Fighters. And the music is from lots of different SNK games. Just like King of Fighters. This has all the hallmarks of being a king of Fighters themed pass and I wish it was appropriately labeled as such. If you’re so stuck on Terry not debuting in KoF then fine. Give Faral Fury it’s own series symbol. Law Terry and the Fatal Fury spirits with it. But then also give KoF stadium it’s own KoF series symbol and logo and label the KoF spirits with that. Or, just do what I would have done, and label the whole thing King of Fighters for the sake of consistency.

Yes. I know it’s small. And yes, I know it doesn’t matter. But I will not let this down because it bothers me a lot!

D

Deleted member

Yes. The tournament was called that in Fatal Fury and that’s why they named KoF the way they did. But that location has never appeared in a Fatal Fury game. And that stage isn’t just something new they invented for Smash because it takes so many design elements from various similar stages in, say it with me, King of Fighters. It’s not based on Fatal Fury because that arena was never in fatal fury. Not to mention it has all those camels from all sorts of SNK games. Just like King of Fighters. And the spirit board has characters from all over SNK. Just like King of Fighters. And the music is from lots of different SNK games. Just like King of Fighters. This has all the hallmarks of being a king of Fighters themed pass and I wish it was appropriately labeled as such. If you’re so stuck on Terry not debuting in KoF then fine. Give Faral Fury it’s own series symbol. Law Terry and the Fatal Fury spirits with it. But then also give KoF stadium it’s own KoF series symbol and logo and label the KoF spirits with that. Or, just do what I would have done, and label the whole thing King of Fighters for the sake of consistency.

Yes. I know it’s small. And yes, I know it doesn’t matter. But I will not let this down because it bothers me a lot!
Other way around. 'King of Fighters' was the name of the Tournament in Fatal Fury and that tournament was spun off into its own fighting game series in which Terry always appeared. Thus, the originating game, Fatal Fury, is the series that Terry is representing.

Just like the Tenkaichi series for DBZ back on the PS2. Dragonball Z is the name of the originating series (obviously), but the name of the world tournament is Budokai Tenkaichi, so the name of the fighting series with specific mechanics (more 2D fighting) was the 'Budokai' series and the other (3D mechanics) was the Tenkaichi series.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Tank: Roadhog/Winston
Damage: Reaper/Mei
Support: Lucio/Moria

Right now, these guys are my most favorite characters, but I'm trying to expand out and get better with other characters.
For me it goes:

Tank- Sigma (still trying to soul search and find a true secondary tank, actually)
Damage- Tracer and Junkrat
Support- Lucio and Moira

I have a few alternates but those 5 are my solidified 5.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think there are mostly terrible arguments for why characters “can’t” be in Smash, but I don’t think it’s illogical to make predictions, based on particular bits of information, to suggest certain characters won’t be.

For example, nothing in that presentation made any single characters “chances” higher. With Geno, he obviously didn’t appear as a costume. But that means nothing if, in the next presentation, he comes back as a Mii Costume. He survived the wave, but that assumes Spirits don’t disconfirm characters.

This is kind of an aside, but while I like Geno and think he’d be quite fun in Smash, I personally think the Geno fan base needs to maintain composure. Assuming “he’s in!” All the time is only going to set up more disappointment and anger later.

Like, I’m not saying everyone has to believe Spirits disconfirm. But thus far, we haven’t seen any overlap. To assume that, suddenly, that’s going to change for someone’s favorite seems to be pushing it.

Next pass? Maybe. But even then, I don’t think we can say what is or isn’t fair game until we see the first reveal.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 9.09.13 AM.png

Terry DEBUTED in the FATAL FURY game, Fatal Fury: King of Fighters which had a tournament, King of Fighters in it that LATER became its own fighting series.

Terry DEBUTED in Fatal Fury...

FATAL FURY..He's a FATAL FURY character first and a KoF's character SECOND.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Cue "because Castlevania also has Sakurai bias!" comments.
More like "Because Castlevania also has the Music Team bias!".

Mega Man too is cleary loved by music composer, with all the remix it got since Smash 4. Which make alot sense due to how Mega Man music ROCK.

D

Deleted member

More like "Because Castlevania also has the Music Team bias!".

Mega Man too is cleary loved by music composer, with all the remix it got since Smash 4. Which make alot sense due to how Mega Man music ROCK.
I mean, he is called ROCK man in Japan lol. Not to mention his rival (after Protoman) was named Bass who had his own dog like Megaman and its name was Treble. Oh..and almost forgot, Megaman's sister's name is Roll...Rock & Roll in Japan lol.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
After playing him a bit through WoL, playing a friend online, and sleeping on it a bit, I can confirm that Terry

Is still absolutely nuts to play and I love it

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
After playing him a bit through WoL, playing a friend online, and sleeping on it a bit, I can confirm that Terry

Is still absolutely nuts to play and I love it
Agreed. He is definitely my favorite of the 3 2D fighting characters.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I mean, he is called ROCK man in Japan lol. Not to mention his rival (after Protoman) was named Bass who had his own dog like Megaman and its name was Treble. Oh..and almost forgot, Megaman's sister's name is Roll...Rock & Roll in Japan lol.
I don't want to say it to you, but...

D

Deleted member

Despite having more command inputs, I feel as if Terry's easier than both Ryu and Ken.

Also, lol at those who are complaining about the command imputs
I personally don't like em as a whole, but i do appreciate the effort Sakurai went to add as many moves as possible into Terry's moveset.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
I am absolutely dookying on Stinklings with Terry. I feel for the first time in ultimate that i'm actually in control of my matches when fighting that bull****ass character lmao

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
online playes are very different then low level CPUs. Real dudes arent gonna reaction like a level 3 robot. Now once you go above 3, thats when CPUs become a challange and almost human
When I said low level CPUs I meant Classic Mode. I don't know what level they are there, but I started at 4, ended at around 8.5, and didn't have too much trouble.

D

Deleted member

For me it goes:

Tank- Sigma (still trying to soul search and find a true secondary tank, actually)
Damage- Tracer and Junkrat
Support- Lucio and Moira

I have a few alternates but those 5 are my solidified 5.
We talking OW characters? Let's see...
Favorites:
Tank: Reinhardt and Zarya
Damage: Junkrat and Mei (McCree and Ashe for their Wild West aesthetic)
Support: Mercy/Moira (if I wanna take it easy) and Ana (when I'm in the right mood for something more serious)

Least favorites:
Tank: Orisa (probably the most boring character to use) and Hammond (I swear, that hook only works like 50% of the time)
Damage: Soldier (he's pretty much Mr. Generic, pretty boring)
Support: Brigitte (feels like they don't even know what they want her to be, she plays like a front liner, but is way too frail for that role)

D

Deleted member

I don't want to say it to you, but...
lol I know; i was kinda saying they put a lot of love behind it after deciding to go with the Rock n' Roll puns. It works because there's a lot of effort behind it when they programmed it. I mean, think about it, a lot of the remixes and good music from the Megaman series came from the NES days. You can't do much with 8bit, but they did it fantastically.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 245650

Terry DEBUTED in the FATAL FURY game, Fatal Fury: King of Fighters which had a tournament, King of Fighters in it that LATER became its own fighting series.

Terry DEBUTED in Fatal Fury...

FATAL FURY..He's a FATAL FURY character first and a KoF's character SECOND.
Then why does he have a stage that’s based on king of Fighters? That was never in fatal fury?

Also. Counter argument. Mario debuted in Donkey Kong but that’s not how he’s classified in Smash.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Pokémon masters is getting Giovanni and mewtwo next month.

well I’m saving gems now that’s gonna be sick

osby

Smash Obsessed
Then why does he have a stage that’s based on king of Fighters? That was never in fatal fury?
Why Mementos has blue and yellow variations even though they never appeared in P5? Fanservice.

Also. Counter argument. Mario debuted in Donkey Kong but that’s not how he’s classified in Smash.
I thought he was called Jump Man back then.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because they were pulling from all around. Terry originated in Fatal Fury, but King of Fighters was the more recognizable series and because that tournament originated in Fatal Fury to begin with, it was easier to just have a KoF stage to accompany him. It was a 'have our cake and eat it too' moment where they got to use elements of both.

Look at Yoshi for another example. He clearly had Mario based enemies in his game and is a common Mario character, but Yoshi himself actually debuted in a game of his own before appearing as Mario's companion in Super Mario World, hence why he has an Egg as an icon instead of the Mario series' icon. It's similar with Terry. He debuted in his own game, Fatal Fury (which also debuted the concept of a tournament series called King of Fighters), but the Spinoff series became more popular and successful so he became more associated with it since he was in every game as a staple character.

In a more meta-sense, take a look at Sonic merchandise. It's been a long time now since Sega was its own videogame company and Sonic their Mascot. Now he's been seen side by side with mario so often that a lot of his stuff is put with the Nintendo merchandise in stores; he's seen from a storefront perspective as being a Nintendo character. But that doesn't stop him from being Sega. Years from now, kids will have grown up playing Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games and being used to seeing his games on Switch or seeing him and Smash and think 'Sonic's a Nintendo character', but it will never change the fact he was Sega and his own character first.

Just like Terry, his roots will never change and that's what Smash celebrates. Terry's origin was Fatal Fury but what everyone recognizes is King of Fighters (and Mai's gigantic fun bags), so they decided to give him a stage based on that series rather than an iconic one from Fatal Fury itself.

EDIT: And to the one who said it, yeah Mario was 'Jump Man' in the OG Donkey Kong arcade game.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Honestly, I stopped giving a darn with how sakurai and his team label franchises, ever since PAC-MAN brought with him a good chunk of the old Namco arcade games

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Because they were pulling from all around. Terry originated in Fatal Fury, but King of Fighters was the more recognizable series and because that tournament originated in Fatal Fury to begin with, it was easier to just have a KoF stage to accompany him. It was a 'have our cake and eat it too' moment where they got to use elements of both.

Look at Yoshi for another example. He clearly had Mario based enemies in his game and is a common Mario character, but Yoshi himself actually debuted in a game of his own before appearing as Mario's companion in Super Mario World, hence why he has an Egg as an icon instead of the Mario series' icon. It's similar with Terry. He debuted in his own game, Fatal Fury (which also debuted the concept of a tournament series called King of Fighters), but the Spinoff series became more popular and successful so he became more associated with it since he was in every game as a staple character.

In a more meta-sense, take a look at Sonic merchandise. It's been a long time now since Sega was its own videogame company and Sonic their Mascot. Now he's been seen side by side with mario so often that a lot of his stuff is put with the Nintendo merchandise in stores; he's seen from a storefront perspective as being a Nintendo character. But that doesn't stop him from being Sega. Years from now, kids will have grown up playing Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games and being used to seeing his games on Switch or seeing him and Smash and think 'Sonic's a Nintendo character', but it will never change the fact he was Sega and his own character first.

Just like Terry, his roots will never change and that's what Smash celebrates. Terry's origin was Fatal Fury but what everyone recognizes is King of Fighters (and Mai's gigantic fun bags), so they decided to give him a stage based on that series rather than an iconic one from Fatal Fury itself.
Okay then. I can get past Terry then.

But why is a stage that was never from Fatal Fury labeled as Fatal Fury? There’s no rule that says the stage and the character have to have the same series symbol.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

Mario isn't the main character of the Donkey Kong series, just like Terry isn't the main character of the King of Fighters series.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay then. I can get past Terry then.

But why is a stage that was never from Fatal Fury labeled as Fatal Fury? There’s no rule that says the stage and the character have to have the same series symbol.
Because adding one symbol is easier than adding two symbols.

D

Deleted member

It's fine if you don't like em, but people act like it destroys their hand because rotating a stick a quarter circle is the hardest thing ever
Well, I won't disagree with that, it's just memorizing all these button patterns that I have a problem with. It isn't really that big of a problem in casual play, but if you want to use Terry competitively, memorizing all those commands(and being able to use them at a moments notice) is pretty much a requirement to do well.

It's the main reason I don't main Ryu or Ken anymore: It was annoying to memorize all of the button inputs AND be able to do em at a moments notice.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
You refuse to listen, dont you. You insist on being stubborn, dont you

Because in DK, he wasnt Mario, he was Jumpman as in his identity of Mario was even made yet

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The following 3rd Party Mii costumes are currently MIA from Smash 4:

- X
- Heihachi
- Lloyd
- Hunter Armor
- Rathalos Armor
- Chocobo
- Geno
- Gil

I'd be willing to bet the final FP character is Lloyd, and the first non-pass fighter is Geno.

If it's not Lloyd, I could see it being a Hunter.
There's also Mega Man .EXE. We'lll see when they get added. Cause I imagine most of them would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom