• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
So I see people talking about something big being revealed at the VGAs Smash-Wise. I keep seeing the Slayer being mentioned, but then again, I'd also like to throw a new hat into the ring.
This might be a clutch, but methinks that we might be getting a new Crash game at this year's awards, similar to how they revealed CTR NF last year. Ergo, I think that we might not see the Slayer, but Crash instead to help promote the new game. Not saying the Mii leak is fake or real, staying neutral on that, but I think it's still a possibility that our orange boy is imminent.

D

Deleted member

Banjo has a 5th special too, it's just not useful and makes him fall on his face haha
See you say that but then you 2frame someone with getup attack after intentionally falling down and it's not so funny anymore
This is basically impossible don't actually try this

Shroob

Sup?
Banjo has a 5th special too, it's just not useful and makes him fall on his face haha
"For his 5th Special Move, Banjo trips.

Although this may seem useless at first, this hearkens back to a mechanic we removed in Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Consider it fanservice."

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
More related to Kyo, but I think the design he had in KOF for the 2003, 11, 12 and 13 games might be my favorite of his looks.

Kyo Kusanagi Kof 13.jpg

It's simple, but REALLY effective.

Also a pretty fun video of Mega Man highlights.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
See you say that but then you 2frame someone with getup attack after intentionally falling down and it's not so funny anymore
This is basically impossible don't actually try this
Actually, this has me thinking. Could the depleted Wonder Wing be used as a dodge/duck? That would be ridiculous and absolutely unreliable.

D

Deleted member

Actually, this has me thinking. Could the depleted Wonder Wing be used as a dodge/duck? That would be ridiculous and absolutely unreliable.
It can be, and yes it's a horrible option that you should only ever use for meme purposes

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Friendly Remember what sakurai said is that “it’s more important that a character is fun to play, not just recognizable.”
Geno has a chance despite being Irelavent like banjo
But Geno would be the biggest waste of a slot in Smash history. He would add nothing but more cheap nostalgia pandering. He isn't iconic at all, and there are far better Mario and Square Enix reps to choose from. I'll be mad if he gets in but not one of the new Pokemon.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
But Geno would be the biggest waste of a slot in Smash history. He would add nothing but more cheap nostalgia pandering. He isn't iconic at all, and there are far better Mario and Square Enix reps to choose from. I'll be mad if he gets in but not one of the new Pokemon.
He literally has one of the coolest designs and most potential for an interesting moveset out of any Mario character that still hasn't made it in. Besides that the fan demand is there and that got Snake, Ridley, K. Rool, Simon (apparently), and Banjo in.

What are you on about? Your personal bias is showing hard.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't particularly care about Geno either, but there's enough people who know him through fans dapping him up, at least within the Smash circle. Though again, there's literal dozens I'd personally choose first, I can't say he'd be an objectively bad choice if only because of fan requests.

Worst I would do is jokingly say people need better taste and support Mega Man X and Jin Kazama or something, but everyone's got their dark horse to back as it is.

I do want to see what other weird **** the devs come up with for characters though. Smash 4 and Ultimate's new characters tend to have a lot of fun and weird moves.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
He literally has one of the coolest designs and most potential for an interesting moveset out of any Mario character that still hasn't made it in. Besides that the fan demand is there and that got Snake, Ridley, K. Rool, Simon (apparently), and Banjo in.

He's just a dumb doll that was in ONE spinoff game released over 20 years ago. And unlike the other characters you mentioned, Geno is locked in Square Enix jail. They don't care about him. How could Sakurai refuse to promote any of the newer first party Switch games? The fans have already been pandered to enough with Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, etc. We need more relevant characters, and a new Pokemon should be at the top of Sakurai's list.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
He's just a dumb doll that was in ONE spinoff game released over 20+ years ago. How could Sakurai refuse to promote any of the newer first party Switch games? The fans have already been pandered to enough with Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, etc. We need more relevant characters, and a new Pokemon is at the top of the list.
That’s fine. Sakurai doesn’t personally appeal to you only.

And we got some more-relevant characters as well.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
He's just a dumb doll that was in ONE spinoff game released over 20+ years ago. How could Sakurai refuse to promote any of the newer first party Switch games? The fans have already been pandered to enough with Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, etc. We need more relevant characters, and a new Pokemon is at the top of the list.
Pokemon got so many characters already, wouldn't a new Pokemon be just "pandering" too in a sense?

If you want to throw that logic of needing something from a new game, then I take a character from XB2, Astral Chain or even 3H over another Pokemon.

Shroob

Sup?
He's just a dumb doll that was in ONE spinoff game released over 20+ years ago. How could Sakurai refuse to promote any of the newer first party Switch games? The fans have already been pandered to enough with Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, etc. We need more relevant characters, and a new Pokemon should be at the top of Sakurai's list.
I'm not even a Geno fan but this argument is about as solid as wet toilet paper.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Pokemon got so many characters already, wouldn't a new Pokemon be just "pandering" too in a sense?

If you want to throw that logic of needing something from a new game, then I take a character from XB2, Astral Chain or even 3H over another Pokemon.
Pokemon is the biggest franchise on Earth. It can never have too many characters, especially when the series has such a vast array of distinct and unique monsters at its disposal. It's still a crime that we didn't get any reps for Hoenn or Unova.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
He's just a dumb doll in one spinoff game from 20+ years ago who has sustained a surprising amount of popularity and almost certainly did exceptional on the ballot and not only represents a major part of Nintendo history but also Square's. I dunno man, seems kind of backwards to think that he has nothing to offer.

Edit: I'm not even a giant Geno fan but your hate for him and bias against him is clouding your judgement big time.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Oh man they are going to summon DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon talking like that.

Sakurai literally said characters get in based on how fun or unique they can be.

If you were to try and argue geno doesn’t fit either of those then I don’t even know

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Pokemon is the biggest franchise on Earth. It can never have too many characters, especially when the series has such a vast array of distinct and unique monsters at its disposal. It's still a crime that we didn't get any reps for Hoenn or Unova.
So Pokemon (& Mario too in a sense) should get everything while everyone get left on the dust when it come to newcomer, because everyone know Mario & Pokemon on Earth. .
That, and Sakurai litteraly just said that being recognizable wasn't the only way a newcomer could get into Smash.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
He's just a dumb doll that was in ONE spinoff game released over 20 years ago. And unlike the other characters you mentioned, Geno is locked in Square Enix jail. They don't care about him. How could Sakurai refuse to promote any of the newer first party Switch games? The fans have already been pandered to enough with Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, etc. We need more relevant characters, and a new Pokemon should be at the top of Sakurai's list.
If we're really bringing up relevancy, Ridley is still being used in Metroid games by the time of each Smash release. Hell, the most recent release was Samus Returns only 2 years ago. Even less time than that when he was first announced.

And clearly that doesn't matter to Sakurai because K. Rool and Banjo made it in anyways. Granted, I see those characters as having more merit to the industry as whole compared to Geno. Because I would agree that he's unimportant by most stretches of the imagination. What with K.Rool being the main villain in a beloved series with only 2 fighters. And Banjo-Kazooie being a duo character with multiple games under their belt, and being formerly Nintendo owned.

If we went with was only relevant, that'd a boring DLC collection/roster.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Mario RPG is pretty much the exact reason paper Mario and Mario rpg existed as well as other unique ideas for spinoffs in the franchise.

Geno would represent this flawlessly and demonstrate how much square has changed the industry for rpgs even more.

To argue there isn’t some level of importance there is kinda dumb

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord

Having characters from all those games would be perfect, though. They're all relevant and would connect with more people, and they're new. I play games to enjoy new experiences, not be fed the same nostalgia from my childhood.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Mario RPG is pretty much the exact reason paper Mario and Mario rpg existed as well as other unique ideas for spinoffs in the franchise.

Geno would represent this flawlessly and demonstrate how much square has changed the industry for rpgs even more.

Paper Mario was even originally gonna be a Super Mario RPG sequel before it changed to paper, but it still has clear inspiration as does the other Mario RPGs.

Having characters from all those games would be perfect, though. They're all relevant and would connect with more people, and they're new. I play games to enjoy new experiences, not be fed the same nostalgia from my childhood.
You didn’t think this way about Incineroar.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Just got done with what I would like to call the dumbest match in Overwatch I've ever had.

Playing Lucio, and my team sucks. Like, being stuck in spawn bad. I managed to sneak by and got a back cap on the first part of the line, which pissed the enemy team off. Then, for the next twenty minutes, I carried my team halfway to the second part of the payload cap, staying on the payload as much as possible, but I got wrecked by Reaper.

That match was way longer than it should of been, but the enemy team just simply couldn't kill me. I am very proud that I kept that payload going, but I think that's enough for one day. My eyes and fingers hurts, and I just want to go to bed. Lol

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Pokemon has 10 characters. I can't say I'm in a rush to see any more of them soon. Let alone just adding them for the sake of it.

I think applying that strictly to Geno to include him is a stretch. But I do see your point acknowledging a game that effectively built an entire subset of Mario titles.

Each character, even the most niche, offers something. But keep in mind many people argued the worth of Terry, Simon and even ****ING PAC-MAN as to whether or not they were good choices for the games. Heck some kids in japan didn't know Samus according to Sakurai for Smash 64 in the Terry presentation, since Metroid skipped that gen of games.

Again, there's DOZENS of characters I feel offer so much more than Geno in terms of bringing people in, but I still can't say it's an awful choice.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Tackle, charging is piss easy to do, just hold down before shielding and you're charging
Oh I'm well aware that Tackle is easy to execute. Idk if I agree with it being good though. It whiffs a lot from my experience.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
He mainly wanted Geno back in Brawl. I doubt he cares about him as much, now, otherwise he would have been added already.
Sakurai seems to prioritize some bigger picks, but we have no proof he forgot about Geno now. He may finally give in.

What you said is misinfo. He said in a Smash 4 interview that he has wanted to put him in since Brawl and thinks he’d be perfect for Smash, but he couldn’t get him in as a fighter so he tried what he thought was the next best thing or something like that. He also liked someone’s Instagram post showing off a Geno toy or something, and yes, it was his actual account.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Giving characters peoples never knew befoee is something I find more interesting than just giving what they expect most of the time.

If we applied that logic, Terry would have never get in, and with that, peoples wouldn't know how improtant SNK was for fighting game, and most importantly, the Smash Bros series. (That, and he is pretty dang fun)

That isn't to say I don't want newcomer from newer games, but I don't want to just get characters from newer games, especially for Pokemon, who has 10 character already, I take a XB2 character over it 'cuz XB need more representation.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
He mainly wanted Geno back in Brawl. I doubt he cares about him as much, now, otherwise he would have been added already.
If he didn't care about him past Brawl then he wouldn't have gotten the Mii Costume in Smash 4, he wouldn't have mentioned wanting him in the first place in the interview talking about that costume, he wouldn't have gotten a spirit for him in Ultimate, and so on and so forth. Just because he's not a playable character yet doesn't mean he's ambivalent to that character, he does like him and has included him in the games in whatever way possible, and that shouldn't be ignored.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Or he has higher priorities while possibly keeping Geno on the backburner for if/when he ever got the chance to include him. We're not Sakurai so we don't know.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord

But Geno himself has nothing to do with Mario RPG's importance in leading up to Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi. He could have easily been replaced with another character designed with the sole purpose of dumping exposition on the player.

You didn’t think this way about Incineroar.
Incineroar was an outlier. I still tend to prefer more relevant characters though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom