• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
What does inb4 mean?
In before
Counter counter argument: underhyped talk can bring down other people who are actually excited. See Noipoi and a lot of other people excited for SwSh.
Oh well, sorry that some people cant handle others not being excited or hyped but that isnt other the underhyped people

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
When did I say the website was my source? Like you yourself said, Sakurai literally promised more fighters. FighterS. Plural. That's evidence for 2 fighters at minimum, but nothing beyond is promosed. Whatever happens next happens next.
I just figured since the website was being talked about.

I understand that this is just me. But I really feel like, if it was just two fighters, then they wouldn’t have bothered announcing it ahead of time. It would have just been a nice surprise. This signaled to me that we should be expecting more then the bare minimum.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I wouldn't read too much into the character slots. The whole purpose of adding them in the first place was to make it easier during updates. That's exactly why they added 10 additional slots for characters in January 2018; doesn't mean we're getting 10 more characters, but they'll have the slots ready if they need them.

All this does is further confirm that we're getting more characters in the future.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Counterargument: Getting underhyped can only be bad for you but getting overhyped is bad for the whole community.
Pessimism is bad for the whole community as well, it also spreads and just sucks the life and fun out of everything. I'd honestly rather be part of a community that gets way overhyped but ends up being disappointed than a pessimistic community that keeps putting each other down, at least the former had fun at one point.

Ideally there should be some middle ground though. In a Smash context I think it's okay to have some expectations given what they've delivered with Ultimate so far, and I only mean that as praise, but obviously you still need to be realistic and brace yourself for something other than the best case scenario. It's a bit funny because we have two theories on the opposite ends of the spectrum now, the website theory says only 2 additional DLC characters, and the WoL character slot theory says 10 additional DLC characters (or however many it was). I don't buy either of them and still expect the truth to lie somewhere in the middle, I always keep coming back to the number 4, so that's what I'm sticking by for now.

Last edited:

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
But seriously, I don’t think this means much. They always add slots like this in advance to make the website easier to update. Any characters beyond this are likely just too early in development to warrant a slot on the site right now. It makes sense, it’s likely going to take longer to develop the post-pass DLC characters since Sakurai likely only has a skeleton team helping to develop them, unlike the pass which started development while the game was still in production.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Pessimism is bad for the whole community as well, it also spreads and just sucks the life and fun out of everything. I'd honestly rather be part of a community that gets way overhyped but ends up being disappointed than a pessimistic community that keeps putting each other down, at least the former had fun at one point.

Ideally there should be some middle ground though. In a Smash context I think it's okay to have some expectations given what they've delivered with Ultimate so far, and I only mean that as praise, but obviously you still need to be realistic and brace yourself for something other than the best case scenario. It's a bit funny because we have two theories on the opposite ends of the spectrum now, the website theory says only 2 additional DLC characters, and the WoL character slot data theory says 10 additional DLC characters (or however many it was). I don't buy either of them and still expect the truth to lie somewhere in the middle (I keep coming back to the number 4).
I still hope we’re in the hundred fighters timeline. We’re probably not. And I won’t be disappointed if we’re not. But it’s just too tempting. It’s right there.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
I just figured since the website was being talked about.

I understand that this is just me. But I really feel like, if it was just two fighters, then they wouldn’t have bothered announcing it ahead of time. It would have just been a nice surprise. This signaled to me that we should be expecting more then the bare minimum.
As optimistic as it is, I'm guessing that we'd only get 3. There were already budgetary issues for the Smash team (though whether they just meant for presentations or for the game as a whole I'm not clear on), so another whole suite like our current FP seems a bit too wishful for me.

I'm all for being surprised though! If anyone can make magic happen, it's Sakurai and his team :)

D

Deleted member

I care less about the number of additional fighters, and more about who they are. I'd rather get five first-parties than ten third-parties.
Honestly, I'm the opposite.

I would rather get 1 anime fighter (COUGH Deadly-Eyes COUGH) than get a bunch of first and third parties.
But that's just my view.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
As optimistic as it is, I'm guessing that we'd only get 3. There were already budgetary issues for the Smash team (though whether they just meant for presentations or for the game as a whole I'm not clear on), so another whole suite like our current FP seems a bit too wishful for me.

I'm all for being surprised though! If anyone can make magic happen, it's Sakurai and his team :)
Why is there budget problems? Where did that idea come from? Nintendo is a multi-billion dollar company with enough stockpiled cash to run a deficit for 38 years in a row. If this game has budgetary issues it’s their own damn fault.

Last edited:

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Why is there budget problems? Nintendo is a multi-billion dollar company with enough stockpiles cash to run a deficit for 38 years in a row. If this game has budgetary issues it’s their own damn fault.
I only know what I heard, and I heard that there were budget problems, though I believe it may only be for cinematic trailers.

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
Why is there budget problems? Where did that idea come from? Nintendo is a multi-billion dollar company with enough stockpiled cash to run a deficit for 38 years in a row. If this game has budgetary issues it’s their own damn fault.
It’s not like Nintendo can invest even a fraction of that money into the development of a single game. They inevitably have to start pouring money into other projects as Smash starts to lose a lot of its casual player base, and other games need to be marketed and focused on. Smash in particular is likely more expensive, as it requires an extensive marketing campaign and negotiations with countless outside companies. Budget problems were always going to happen, even minor ones.

D

Deleted member

Why is there budget problems? Nintendo is a multi-billion dollar company with enough stockpiles cash to run a deficit for 38 years in a row. If this game has budgetary issues it’s their own damn fault.
ehhhhh, not quite.
It's true that Nintendo has tons of money, but not ALL of that money goes into game design.
You need to factor in marketing(which already takes like a couple million just for video ads? don't remember the prices) and manufacturing(the game case, the actual cartridge, the switch itself, any extras such as controllers)

In all, everything but the actual game itself would need an average budget of, lets say, 10 million PER GAME just to meet market demand(it would be drastically lower for up and coming Indie devs, who could just forgo marketing entirely, for example)

That leaves a stricter budget for each game(don't forget, EACH game needs a specific budget) so lets just assume a budget of, 5 million?

Including licensing deals(which would eat up around 50% of the budget depending on the amount/demands of the companies involved) you still need to:
Pay all devs(this includes post-game content, such as BUG FIXES)
manage sites(eats up MUCH more money than you might think, easily 100k per year)
and actually make sure the copies get out(so even more issues with shipping to IRL stores or online warehouses, while this would only eat up a minor portion. maybe 100k at worst?)

So, at the very end of it, the average amount of money left over would be around 1-2m.

That seems like alot, but with a big name company like Nintendo, that isn't enough to do anything meaningful outside of a few older characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Look Samurai, I don't need a whole slew of new characters to keep me happy.

Just...gimme Shantae, alright? Thanks.

D

Deleted member

OH SHOOT I NEVER TOLD YOU GUYS
I'm 8 seconds away from a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe World Record...
And I've only been practicing for a week.
1572539825050.png

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Third-parties had their time to shine, but I think the remaining DLC should put a greater emphasis on first-parties.

Or at the very least, be divvied up between first and third-parties equally.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Banjo and Terry came our faster than i thought.

Fighter 5 is probably almost done and the 1st FP2 character development has already begun imo

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Third-parties had their time to shine, but I think the remaining DLC should put a greater emphasis on first-parties.

Or at the very least, be divvied up between first and third-parties equally.
I still maintain that the first parties that are left are very c-string. Where as there is a lot of a-teir third parties left.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I still maintain that the first parties that are left are very c-string. Where as there is a lot of a-teir third parties left.
I mean, it's not like the third parties we got (arguably with the exception of Hero) are A-tiers themselves.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Happy Halloween, I'm working today.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Alright, here's my updated Sonic game tier list. Prepare for some controversy:

1572541074152.png
I didn't include games I haven't played at all. The games you see listed I've played at least one or two levels of, and those are exceptions. The mass majority of these games I've played to completion or close to it.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Happy Halloween everybody!

also I beat black eagles route in three houses today and got luigis mansion 3. Looking forward to playing through it!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Alright, here's my updated Sonic game tier list. Prepare for some controversy:

I didn't include games I haven't played at all. The games you see listed I've played at least one or two levels of, and those are exceptions. The mass majority of these games I've played to completion or close to it.
All things considered, this seems pretty fair.

StormC

Smash Hero
Banjo and Terry came our faster than i thought.

Fighter 5 is probably almost done and the 1st FP2 character development has already begun imo
Sakurai said earlier that Joker, Hero, and Banjo were all in development at the same time, so I would guess their team can develop 3 at a time and they swap them out when they're finished.

*cries in Dixie Kong*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom