• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Stranger Things is one of the many TV shows I've been meaning to catch up on. (I think I've only seen one or two episodes) Along with Justice League, Breaking Bad, The Flash, Doctor Who, all of Marvel's Netflix series, Fullmetal Alchemist, Brooklyn 99, Parks and Recreation... I have no idea where I'm going to find the time, honestly.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Anyone who hasn't watched Hilda yet needs to get off their ***** and begin watching that. If there's anything I can describe about that show. Its literally a breath of fresh air. I much look forward to season 2 next year.

Also currently on Yu Yu Hakusho as we speak. I think I'm on episode 45. I've taken a bit of a break but intend to get back to it this month.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I still need to finish HIMYM, keep with Parks and Recreation, watch Stranger Things, Kagekurui or however its spelled, also want to get Crunchyroll to watch JBA. Plus my game backlog that just keeps getting bigger.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I would classify him as an "alternate playable character" rather than powerup. Powerups usually grant a single utility and Mario's still the one the player directly controls. Yoshi on the other hand has multiple advantages and wrests the control away from Mario :yoshi:
I mean, the Tanooki Suit predates Yoshi and it allows Mario to fly, float down with his tail, attack enemies with his tail, and transform into a statue. Having multiple abilities hasn't stopped something from being a power up, nor does being a character.

Aku-Aku is another example of a power up that is very much a character.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I mean, the Tanooki Suit predates Yoshi and it allows Mario to fly, float down with his tail, attack enemies with his tail, and transform into a statue. Having multiple abilities hasn't stopped something from being a power up, nor does being a character.

But Mario is still the character the player controls, whereas Yoshi does all the actions once Mario mounts him. The same goes for Aku-Aku, Crash is still in control (Aku-Aku doesn't even directly talk to Crash until the 3rd game)... :yoshi:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So, like, Far From Home? Great movie. Lot's of fun, just as carefree as a regular Spiderman film. And Mysterio was cool,
Even if he was a bit... trippy at points. You know the scene
And the mid credits scene? Crazy
And I guess J.K. Simmons can hop dimensions now, but unironically, he was the best part if the film.

Yeah, I grew up with the Raimi trilogy

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Speaking of Far From Home. Wouldn't it be hilarious if the third film began

Where the mid-credit scene left off and the Marvel civilians show some sense for once and laugh at the kooky ranting fringe media personality (J. Jonah Jameson) who is using possibly doctored evidence to drag a teenager through the mud.

All that tension and suspense we saw and expected to see what was going to happen in the next few years all just ended for a good laugh.:joyful:

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But Mario is still the character the player controls, whereas Yoshi does all the actions once Mario mounts him. The same goes for Aku-Aku, Crash is still in control (Aku-Aku doesn't even directly talk to Crash until the 3rd game)... :yoshi:
I mean, not really. Mario punches Yoshi in the head to get him to use his tongue. Mario can decide when to jump off of Yoshi. Mario is still the character with agency there. The player is controlling Mario, who in turn controls Yoshi, as Yoshi is his steed.

To put it another way, in Mach Rider, you play as Mach Rider and not Mach Rider's motorcycle. It may be able to do things like shoot lasers, but it's still being ridden by Mach Rider.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I mean, not really. Mario punches Yoshi in the head to get him to use his tongue. Mario can decide when to jump off of Yoshi. Mario is still the character with agency there. The player is controlling Mario, who in turn controls Yoshi, as Yoshi is his steed.

To put it another way, in Mach Rider, you play as Mach Rider and not Mach Rider's motorcycle. It may be able to do things like shoot lasers, but it's still being ridden by Mach Rider.
First of all, the punching is debunked. Even the interview everyone erroneously uses as proof points that out (punching was PLANNED but not in the final product). And having one action Mario uses while Yoshi is in control does not negate Yoshi's playable status.

Also, Mach Rider's motorcycle is a "vehicle" which Yoshi doesn't qualify either since he doesn't change the mechanics. It's more like Jak is playable while Daxter is perched and at times Daxter becomes an alternate character...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So what're the chances they'll make a TV only Switch? A handheld only one doesn't surprise me, but it does take away from what gives the system something unique. A can at least see people wanting to get a TV only one if it had even "MORE POWER".

I just want to know if they'll make their online less trash.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
First of all, the punching is debunked. Even the interview everyone erroneously uses as proof points that out (punching was PLANNED but not in the final product). And having one action Mario uses while Yoshi is in control does not negate Yoshi's playable status.

Also, Mach Rider's motorcycle is a "vehicle" which Yoshi doesn't qualify either since he doesn't change the mechanics. It's more like Jak is playable while Daxter is perched and at times Daxter becomes an alternate character...
Hardly. Daxter doesn't give Jak and extra abilities when together.

Banjo and Kazooie or Ratchet and Clank might have been a better comparison.

Slime Master

Smash Ace

It's not a punch, but Mario clearly makes some kind of hand motion when Yoshi sticks out his tongue, presumably giving the command to do so.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
After watching his Goku video, I began watching a bunch of Lockstin’s hypothetical moveset videos. And honestly.... not a huge fan of the Crash and Spyro movesets he made. I understand why you’d want to limit yourself to just their original trilogies, but I almost feel like that handicaps their designs. Honestly, would anyone really be mad if their normals came from Crash of the Titans and The Legend of Spyro? If their designs are still like N. Sane and Reignited and their specials primarily stick with those original games (which is incredibly easy to do), then I really don’t think it matters. Both of those reboot series are best em ups after all. Perfect normal fodder.

Also, I still legit support Goku. He should be the exception that proves the rule.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

But Yoshi does change the mechanics. Specifically, if Mario gets hit while on Yoshi he doesn't lose his current power up level, just Yoshi. In this case the loss of Yoshi is equated to the loss of a power up.

I'm not saying he isn't a character too, but Yoshi is absolutely a power up in the Mario platformers (outside of like, 64 DS).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So what're the chances they'll make a TV only Switch? A handheld only one doesn't surprise me, but it does take away from what gives the system something unique. A can at least see people wanting to get a TV only one if it had even "MORE POWER".

I just want to know if they'll make their online less trash.
Not much of a point in making it have "MORE POWER" unless they update all games to boot the graphics up like a PS4 Pro. Would be nice, but never a probability. But since it's not a handheld, it's gonna have to come with a Pro Controller with its own dock, and that will make it super expensive.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Same with Rush or the mechs you team up with in Shatterhand. Hell, Baby Mario's the same thing in Yoshi's Island when you pick up a star.

Still, it doesn't matter much because Yoshi's had dozen of his own games, or became a separate playable character in other titles. Something Aku-Aku or Rush normally can't say. Unless Rush was playable in that NES board game, but I never played that so I don't know.

Not much of a point in making it have "MORE POWER" unless they update all games to boot the graphics up like a PS4 Pro. Would be nice, but never a probability. But since it's not a handheld, it's gonna have to come with a Pro Controller with its own dock, and that will make it super expensive.
I know it's not as likely, but it's not impossible either. Given that they upgraded all of their handhelds with more powerful versions, it'd be neat to see them do it with a home console for once. Besides, the biggest improvements in this upcoming gen are supposed to be more on loading times and performance than graphical power, so I think reducing loading and lag would be a selling point of sorts. If it ever happened.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And I finally saw Despicable Me 3. Was even more awesome than the previews suggested.

I also loved the one-horned goat thing, as it gave Agnes both a reality check but still showed how she was able to mature and accept that life can still be awesome, even if it's not what you originally wanted. Dru staying a villain at the end was neat. Poor Dr. Nefario, though. I'll see the movie Minions soon. At the very least, it left it open for an easy 4th movie.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I kinda like Spider-Man, but I was never interested enough to actually watch any Spider-Man movies. Usually I just stick to the cartoons.
If you haven’t, watch the first two Toby maguire films, and homecoming then far from home. All of them are really high quality films and do great at bringing spider man stories to life

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know it's not as likely, but it's not impossible either. Given that they upgraded all of their handhelds with more powerful versions, it'd be neat to see them do it with a home console for once. Besides, the biggest improvements in this upcoming gen are supposed to be more on loading times and performance than graphical power, so I think reducing loading and lag would be a selling point of sorts. If it ever happened.
yeah but the #1 argument against nintendo is that their games are graphically back one gen

that's not a terrible thing because exclusives still manage to look fantastic, it's just the multiplats that suffer hard

Noipoi

Howdy!
You can customize the number on your jersey on Sword and Shield.

Trying to decide if I wanna go 000 cuz I’m a loser or 626 for nostalgia.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just a little over 20 days until Hobbs & Shaw. Man August can't get here already...

Good thing I got my Fast and Furious Marathon to keep me waiting. Currently on the fourth film that I'll be watching tomorrow.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Stranger Things is one of the many TV shows I've been meaning to catch up on. (I think I've only seen one or two episodes) Along with Justice League, Breaking Bad, The Flash, Doctor Who, all of Marvel's Netflix series, Fullmetal Alchemist, Brooklyn 99, Parks and Recreation... I have no idea where I'm going to find the time, honestly.
Stranger Things is great but I can’t really invest myself to watch it atm. I like it a lot and really makes nolstalgic for shows of that time frame so I want to be to fully immerse myself in it. But I don’t have much time to do that sadly. So I tend to watch shows that can easily be picked up and watched periodically instead of one sitting. I might watch a five minute segment of a show and finally find time to watch ten minutes of it like a week or two later.

I did finish watching Breaking Bad before and that’s an amazing show. It’s one of my all time favorites.

My current show that I’m slowly getting through is Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, the Top 72 animal movies on Netflix, and also rewatching GoT.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Meanwhile with Crawl coming out tomorrow for screenings. I'm desperately looking all over the internet for spoilers if the doggie lives. I desperately need to know otherwise if it doesn't. I ain't seeing the movie.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Stranger Things is great but I can’t really invest myself to watch it atm. I like it a lot and really makes nolstalgic for shows of that time frame so I want to be to fully immerse myself in it. But I don’t have much time to do that sadly. So I tend to watch shows that can easily be picked up and watched periodically instead of one sitting. I might watch a five minute segment of a show and finally find time to watch ten minutes of it like a week or two later.

I did finish watching Breaking Bad before and that’s an amazing show. It’s one of my all time favorites.

My current show that I’m slowly getting through is Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, the Top 72 animal movies on Netflix, and also rewatching GoT.
If I may make a recommendation. You should definitely give Hilda a watch. I recall you have a daughter according to one of your posts? I think she would really like it. :)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Meanwhile with Crawl coming out tomorrow for screenings. I'm desperately look all over the internet for spoilers if the doggie lives. I desperately need to know otherwise if it doesn't. I ain't seeing the movie.
the place gets flooded and over ran with FLORIDA crocs, I doubt any animal is gonna live through that. Also what dog?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I’ve been binging the office because I’m sick of not getting references

I guess I’ll get around to Hilda once I’m done

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
the place gets flooded and over ran with FLORIDA crocs, I doubt any animal is gonna live through that
There's hope. There was an image of the daughter and father what looks like are outside with the father carrying the doggie. Plus given the trailer and how The Meg had it seems like there is a tease. I get a feeling they're gonna make it look like the doggie gets killed only to turn out fine in the end.

Hope I'm right.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Speaking of Far From Home. Wouldn't it be hilarious if the third film began

Where the mid-credit scene left off and the Marvel civilians show some sense for once and laugh at the kooky ranting fringe media personality (J. Jonah Jameson) who is using possibly doctored evidence to drag a teenager through the mud.

All that tension and suspense we saw and expected to see what was going to happen in the next few years all just ended for a good laugh.:joyful:
I feel like you might be throwing shade at a movie I like and I don't like that you're throwing shade at a movie I like and since I can't dislike a post I'm going to tell you that I dislike this post.
Just a little over 20 days until Hobbs & Shaw. Man August can't get here already...

Good thing I got my Fast and Furious Marathon to keep me waiting. Currently on the fourth film that I'll be watching tomorrow.
Eww, the 4th one is... so bad. The other ones have redeeming qualities and some of them are even great but 4 is not one of those.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I kinda like Spider-Man, but I was never interested enough to actually watch any Spider-Man movies. Usually I just stick to the cartoons.
If you haven’t, watch the first two Toby maguire films, and homecoming then far from home. All of them are really high quality films and do great at bringing spider man stories to life
Don’t forget Spiderverse as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom