• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
One part of me is saying the 1st is more likely but the 2nd at the same time would make a lot more sense to end the DLC run given the icon and big Crash is given his legacy in the 90's.

Another reason I think the second could be likely is due to that one leaker on GameFaqs who so far has been right on his predictions.
I still don’t think we’re getting any additional Capcom characters in this pass. I don’t want to jinx it, but my predictions place me firmly in the Namco and Crash camp. Lloyd is the most likely, Heihachi is my biggest want, and Dark Souls would be the biggest WTF moment.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still don’t think we’re getting any additional Capcom characters in this pass. I don’t want to jinx it, but my predictions place me firmly in the Namco and Crash camp. Lloyd is the most likely, Heihachi is my biggest want, and Dark Souls would be the biggest WTF moment.
I do hope your right because I'd love for it to be the second one. That and Crash more then earns his place in Smash given his legacy.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It seems as if a lot of the Steve Supporters actually disappeared after Banjo was announced, which makes me wonder if some people only wanted him in just to troll the Banjo fans.

It's be a shame if a character as cool as Steve was relegated into "meme" Hell like Waluigi.

Genuine Blocky Bois, stand up.
Steve is among the few third parties not yet in Smash that I would like to see.

Honestly? I would've really liked to see both him and the Bear and Bird duo joining the battle in Ultimate. It's certainly not impossible for it to happen by now, unless Microsoft, Sakurai or some other higher-up tells us otherwise, but I wouldn't say it's probable, either.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Oh right happy 4th Americans.

U-S-A. U-S-A.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Nightmare would be cool, too. And that's coming from a guy who hasn't even played a Soul Calibur game before. I just think the character's background is cool and that he looks and is badass.

My first pick still goes to Spyro, though. And since I don't see him get discussed around here much, I gotta ask, what do any of you think of Spyro's odds? And would want or at least be welcoming of him as one of the Fighters Pass newcomers?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So I hadn't seen Spider-Man: Far From Home yet but I apparently had been spoiled that

Mysterio turns out to be a villain.

TBH I'm not surprised as I honestly saw it coming the same way as I had with Ego. At the same time I wish they wouldn't had as I would had liked to had seen them make it work that Mysterio wasn't as it would had been something new and different to see. Oh well. That said though not really a big major spoiler for me since I saw it coming.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Man I have such mixed feelings about Pokemon Masters. On one hand, Gacha is a predatory and morally questionable monetizing scheme designed to condition and manipulate people into spending their money carelessly.

But on the other hand, just look at my boy Red.
I guess there's a slight chance that game might not be gacha, but who am I kidding? It's going to be gacha.

Also LOL at Reddit for singing that game's praises while calling Sword/Shield a product of corporate greed.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You guys now the composer Tim Follin? He worked on some terrible games, but his songs have some great music.
Listen to the 1st level of Silver Surfer
The title of PICTIONARY of all things
And of course, there's Plok (Which actually was pretty good, just forgotten).

I wish this man got the recognition he deserved.
Tim Follin's a great composer for sure. Have you heard his stuff on Spider-Man and the X-Men in Arcade's Revenge? Spider-Man and Gambit's themes in particular are great. Storm's really chill.

Man I have such mixed feelings about Pokemon Masters. On one hand, Gacha is a predatory and morally questionable monetizing scheme designed to condition and manipulate people into spending their money carelessly.

I guess there's a slight chance that game might not be gacha, but who am I kidding? It's going to be gacha.

Also LOL at Reddit for singing that game's praises while calling Sword/Shield a product of corporate greed.
I see red buys his pants from the same fashion line as Jin Kazama now.

Jin_Kazama.png

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

They make Red look older but give Misty her young LGPE design instead of the mint Gen II/IV design.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

nothing screams teen angst more than flame pattern on your pants

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I feel so stressed that my eye is twitching, and has been all day. Many things are piling up and once and I'm sick of feeling like garbage.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I won't doubt the possilibity but I honestly don't think were getting another Microsoft rep tbh and at most they'll be in the form of Mii costumes like the ones you stated.

Also I'd say alongside Master Chief, Crash and Sora that Geno and Waluigi (If Assists can be upgraded) could "top" Banjo as well.

I see one of the two following to be the most like.

1. #74: Lloyd Irving and #75: Resident Evil rep (Jill or Leon).

or

2. #74: Lloyd Irving and 75#: Crash Bandicoot.
Which is why even though I recognize it's not impossible, I don't consider it likely. However, Master Chief, Sora and Geno exist in a grey area--while companies associated with them are already DLC characters, either other companies are involved or there are unique enough circumstances to where I could see them coming in, despite that strike against them.

As for Geno and Waluigi--while I don't think they wouldn't "top" Banjo (there just isn't that factor of length of demand, convergence of companies, and/or recognition beyond the Smash fanbase, as well as other factors, that reaches that level of hype), I think both have reasons for being one of the final ones announced. 1) Because they wouldn't be as hyped/marketable as the first three, which makes sense, given the Fighter's Pass model works better when the more marketable characters are shown first. I would love it if they could find a way to top Joker, Hero and Banjo, but marketing wise, I could see why it could be planned not to be that way.

In the case of Geno, his fan demand has been nearly as long as Banjo & Kazooie's, and after his Mii Costume, probably got a bigger push following Smash 4. Likewise, the backlash resulting from Waluigi's exclusion could have come at the right time before the DLC list was finalized. I also feel like Geno and Waluigi are the perfect "hyped/disappointing" type characters that make sense for the last few picks--hyped by their fans, but underwhelming to others due to either not knowing them, or, in the case of Waluigi, the anticlimax of having all these big third party characters ending with a Nintendo character from spin off games.

My personal (but probably unrealistic hopes) are Crash and Sora. Crash because he's another mascot character, formerly a Sony-exclusive character, and a nostalgic pick from my childhood with an aesthetic and moveset potential ideal for Smash. Sora because Kingdom Hearts has always been a series that looked interesting to me, but couldn't play (and was recommended not to jump straight into--plus, certain things in the marketing give me a bad WTF vibe) and the Disney hype factor. I can't think of any other characters I would like, outside of completely unrealistic (e.g., Conker), or deconfirmed (e.g., Bomberman).

osby

Smash Obsessed
It seems as if a lot of the Steve Supporters actually disappeared after Banjo was announced, which makes me wonder if some people only wanted him in just to troll the Banjo fans.

It's be a shame if a character as cool as Steve was relegated into "meme" Hell like Waluigi.

Smash fandom in general (spearheaded by Banjo supporters) was super aggressive against Steve and made it really hard to say even you wouldn't mind him.

I don't blame anyone for getting tired of it, especially after "we deserve a fighter more, you should want a stage/Mii costume" fans got what they wanted.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Smash fandom in general (spearheaded by Banjo supporters) was super aggressive against Steve and make it really hard to say you even wouldn't mind him.

I don't blame anyone for getting tired of it, especially after "we deserve a fighter more, you should want a stage/Mii costume" fans got what they wanted.
This Banjo vs Steve thing went both ways.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
They make Red look older but give Misty her young LGPE design instead of the mint Gen II/IV design.
Probably because it was easier to just port her model over then to make a new one.

But don't worry, knowing DeNA we'll have Johto Misty, Anime Misty, Mega Gyarados Misty, Summer Misty, half-naked-but-somehow-still-an-armor-unit Christmas Misty and Glepnir Misty all before we even get all the Unova gym leaders.
nothing screams teen angst more than flame pattern on your pants
It's not a phase, you wouldn't understand what he's going through.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This Banjo vs Steve thing went both ways.
While I agree the conflict between both goes both ways, I can only say that a lot of the biggest fanbases just go too far in their territorialism. The way some of these fanbases act regarding a lot of the characters that got included in the roster is silly, we still get arguments about how awful or unworthy are some of the characters like Bayo, Piranha Plant, Joker or Incineroar from time to time just because they are not someone they wanted. If anything I'm happy that Banjo is in because they calmed a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
While I agree the conflict between both goes both ways, I can only say that a lot of the biggest fanbases just go too far in their territorialism. The way some of these fanbases act regarding a lot of the characters that got included in the roster is silly, we still get arguments about how awful or unworthy are some of the characters like Bayo, Piranha Plant, Joker or Incineroar from time to time just because they are not someone they wanted. If anything I'm happy that Banjo is in because they calmed a lot.
give it a few years, steve and his zoomer followers will invade boomer territory

steve is definitely disliked way more though on the grounds of it being ew!!!! minecraft!!!! or whatever. i feel like that reveal trailer would get spam dislikes from boomers across the world compared to what banjo got.

just look at hero's english trailer and compare how many people actually cared to even put a like/dislike on that compared to the bear

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

Some did, yes. How many is hard to say, but there was definitely a weird Banjo vs. Steve subculture that I tried to mostly stay out of. You can google "Steveposting" and see it for yourself. It almost became a Waluigi thing where it was such a huge meme that it was hard to tell who was genuine and who was being ironic.

I think for Smash 6 people will be more open to the idea because Steve is no longer a perceived threat to Banjo and the chances for another Microsoft character to appear will go up, but right now, it's basically a dead end outside of people hoping for two Microsoft characters, and the arguments are still fresh in everybody's minds.

Personally, Smash discussion is at its worst when people treat it like a console war. I don't like Steve but the constant fearmongering over Steve "stealing" Banjo's spot got old. I really doubt it was ever a decision of Steve vs. Banjo, Sakurai went to the company with one character in mind, and now we know who.

...but sometimes, situations like these can still make a funny meme or two:

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Some did, yes. How many is hard to say, but there was definitely a weird Banjo vs. Steve subculture that I tried to mostly stay out of. You can google "Steveposting" and see it for yourself. It almost became a Waluigi thing where it was such a huge meme that it was hard to tell who was genuine and who was being ironic.

I think for Smash 6 people will be more open to the idea because Steve is no longer a perceived threat to Banjo and the chances for another Microsoft character to appear will go up, but right now, it's basically a dead end outside of people hoping for two Microsoft characters, and the arguments are still fresh in everybody's minds.

Personally, Smash discussion is at its worst when people treat it like a console war. I don't like Steve but the constant fearmongering over Steve "stealing" Banjo's spot got old. I really doubt it was ever a decision of Steve vs. Banjo, Sakurai went to the company with one character in mind, and now we know who.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
This is a work of art

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not to backseat mod but putting no-no words under spoilers still counts as censor dodging. I'd just give a link.

StormC

Smash Hero
This is a work of art
Ugly Steve was basically the heel of Smash speculation for a long time. The Jiren comparison is perfect. I still laugh every time Super Banjo appears.

I would love to see like, an essay detailing the meta narrative around Smash speculation, with fakes, leaks, reveals, everything, the way we have created this story around the discussion of Smash with memes and character support. From an outsider's perspective it must look absolutely insane.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ugly Steve was basically the heel of Smash speculation for a long time. The Jiren comparison is perfect. I still laugh every time Super Banjo appears.
I’m not anti-Steve, at all.

But I’d be a liar if I said seeing that ugly model get btfo two weeks ago wasn’t hilarious.

I would love to see like, an essay detailing the meta narrative around Smash speculation, with fakes, leaks, reveals, everything, the way we have created this story around the discussion of Smash with memes and character support. From an outsider's perspective it must look absolutely insane.
I’m sure someone’ll do that once Ultimate is done with it’s newcomers. Ultimate’s speculation alone was insane, chairs and color theories and the goddamn Grinch.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't give up on Steve yet, tbh.

Things are still in the air regarding the last two spots on the Fighter Pass, and Sakurai or Nintendo haven't said anything about Minecraft not happening in Smash.

Personally, I would be cool with Steve getting in. He's not Crash Bandicoot or Eight, but he is still interesting for me. The sandbox genre getting stuff in Smash is also sweet.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Smash speculation is totally wild no matter what angle you look at it from. Outside, inside, upside-down, underneath, whatever.

Anyone else remember Bigley?

What a weird, weird fanbase we exist in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom