• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's the problem. There's an item specifically designed to prevent that and it doesn't work. First place is by far the easiest place to be in, and stay in, the only countermeasure being RNG that will either do nothing or bring 1st down to 10th. There's no gray area.

The better joy comes from playing a better game without massive reliance on RNG in the first place, no rubberbanding, and balancing mechanics that work without ruining the experience.
Maybe. Maybe not. Gameplay appeals to different people. At least Mario Kart didn't need to be rebooted in 15 years time. :secretkpop:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah, at least base game I got Ridley, D.Samus, Ken, Simon and Incineroar. So I'm good with that.

None of the DLC so far seems bad, but I'll probably get it when the last character is shown off. Most of my wanted characters are pretty low chance, so we'll see.
Didn’t know you liked Incineroar

A man of taste I see

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
17 alerts.

What a spooky sight to wake up to.

How ya going here?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Inklings, Isabelle, Incineroar, Banjo Kazooie.

I’m doin pretty good over here, base game and dlc.
One day, I'll get to hunt them Mavericks in Smash.

Mega-Man-X-art-by-Metalhanzo.jpg

We out here fighting for Everlasting Peace my guy.

That said, I'll definitely try out Banjo. I can see him being pretty fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Inklings, Isabelle, Incineroar, Banjo Kazooie.

I’m doin pretty good over here, base game and dlc.
Same. The Belmonts, Ridley, Hero, Joker, Chrom, Ken, Incineroar, Dark Samus...

A lot of characters I either wanted or just caught my interest quickly. Uh, I still have my few wants that have a chance, so I'm just going hold on my Fighters Pass thoughts.

17 alerts.

What a spooky sight to wake up to.

How ya going here?
Like a living zombie. I can't sleep properly.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I still want to see Tetra join the battle.

A Zelda newcomer, a pirate, and one of my favorite characters from my all-time favorite video game.

That is what would fully complete this game as "Smash Ultimate" for me personally.

Spyro would be pretty cool too

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
y'all trying to flex with how many of your wanteds came in and then theres me

1561523037947.png

at least i have little mac

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Same. The Belmonts, Ridley, Hero, Joker, Chrom, Ken, Incineroar, Dark Samus...

A lot of characters I either wanted or just caught my interest quickly. Uh, I still have my few wants that have a chance, so I'm just going hold on my Fighters Pass thoughts.

Like a living zombie. I can't sleep properly.
I had a hard time sleeping due to me going too soon to bed, so I can feel ya there.

If you can, try to read a book or anything like that in your bed, it help slowy tiring your eyes and in the meantime,you can re/reread a story that you love!

Noipoi

Howdy!
I still want to see Tetra join the battle.

A Zelda newcomer, a pirate, and one of my favorite characters from my all-time favorite video game.

That is what would fully complete this game as "Smash Ultimate" for me personally.

Spyro would be pretty cool too
ya gettin Tingle and you’re gonna like it

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
:ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool::ultridley:

Pretty much got my top 3. Anyone else at this point is icing on cake whether Amaterasu, Doom Slayer, Elma, Nightmare, Phoenix Wright, Sylux, etc.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
King K. Rool was my most wanted newcomer besides Tetra.

You can imagine I lost it when he was revealed. He's one of the many reasons why I'm so incredibly satisfied with the game as it is.

ya gettin Tingle and you’re gonna like it
Please no anyone but Tingle.

...Well, to be honest, I'm actually not completely against him overall. That being said, of Zelda's "big" newcomer candidates he's probably my least preferred choice. So many others I'd like to see first.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Tingle is easily my most preferred Zelda newcomer. After that, it's Pig Ganon and Impa. I mostly shrug at the others, though I wonder how fun Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik as a team would've been.

I got a lot of my wanted newcomers overall. There's still many left outside of Brian; Rabbids, Dixie Kong(I'm now preferring her as a tag team idea these days. I'd love to have fun via DKC's concept), Waluigi, Toad, Scorpion, Fulgore, Shadow, Isaac, the three I mentioned up above, Geno, Steve, Master Chief, Agumon, Nightmare(Soul Calibur), Bandanna Waddle Dee, Slime. I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Didn’t know you liked Incineroar

A man of taste I see
Yeah, he was my starter in Pokemon Sun. I named him Armor King, since my whole team was named after Fighting game characters in Sun. I do wonder if Mods will give Incineroar King or Armor King model swaps. Stuff like that is part of the reason why I want to learn modding too.

y'all trying to flex with how many of your wanteds came in and then theres me

View attachment 229306

at least i have little mac
To be fair, at least your dude's popular. I think there's a chance of it happening next game at least.

As far as Zelda goes, there's really not anyone I'd want from that series. OG Ganon could be kind of cool. And I'm sure Skull Kid and Midna might be alright too, but otherwise, as long as Ganondorf stays, I'm good.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I gotta say, SamSho's new tagline should be used in more games.

Super Mario Maker 2: EMBRACE DEATH!
Counter Strike: EMBRACE DEATH!
Mega Man 11: EMBRACE DEATH!

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I still would like Ghirahim for Zelda. I know it's unlikely, but he and Midna are probably my most wanteds. Pig Ganon could be cool and as could Tingle, but eh. Alternatively, we could get a new character from BotW 2 in the next Smash.

Almost positive the next Smash will have Odyssey and BotW-inspired styles/sets for Mario and Link. Zelda might if she's a playable character and Ganon will likely get a redesign as well if un-mummified Ganondorf is fully modeled in BotW 2, and please be because Ganon's luscious hair is ****ing beautiful.

As for Mario? I feel only Rosie or BJ will be cut at best (Dr. Mario and Piranha Plant being the obvious I don't have to mention) because the Core 7 which are aptly dubbed the Seven Star Children are just too iconic and known to let go.

Pokémon is too much of a variable. Mewtwo, PT, and Pika are mainstays due to Gen 1 popularity and pandering from TPC, but Greninja, Lucario (though likely gonna stay since it's still fairly popular), Incineroar, Pichu, and perhaps even Jigglypuff are in contention to be replaced or scrapped altogether.

Kirby better get Bandana Waddle Dee or I'll seriously be a bit miffed next time.

The rest are series that will likely stay the same (with Splatoon being the only one I can see getting another character) or have cuts as the ones I mentioned have always been the core franchises of Smash and (besides Kirby, albeit you could still argue for it) are some of the biggest and longest-running series from Ninty.

I don't know why this turned into speculation for the next game, but yeah. I can see a roster of around 50+ characters. Brawl had like, what? Close to 40? There's no reason the roster shouldn't be comparable to or greater than Brawl's at the least.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I can't believe the Korean bots came back again for 5,087th time.

Tingle is easily my most preferred Zelda newcomer. After that, it's Pig Ganon and Impa. I mostly shrug at the others, though I wonder how fun Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik as a team would've been.

I got a lot of my wanted newcomers overall. There's still many left outside of Brian; Rabbids, Dixie Kong(I'm now preferring her as a tag team idea these days. I'd love to have fun via DKC's concept), Waluigi, Toad, Scorpion, Fulgore, Shadow, Isaac, the three I mentioned up above, Geno, Steve, Master Chief, Agumon, Nightmare(Soul Calibur), Bandanna Waddle Dee, Slime. I can't think of any more off the top of my head.
Uh, for Ganon, is there a specific incarnation you're looking at, or would he take elements from multiple?

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hey anime nerds, give me some sick anime openings to listen to. I need new ones lol
I haven’t watched anime with the intent purpose of following the story in years (I did watch Hana Kappa this morning with my kid but it doesn’t count).

I imagine you know most anime openings but one that immediately popped up that I liked was...

I really need to watch this series again.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I still would like Ghirahim for Zelda. I know it's unlikely, but he and Midna are probably my most wanteds. Pig Ganon could be cool and as could Tingle, but eh. Alternatively, we could get a new character from BotW 2 in the next Smash.

Almost positive the next Smash will have Odyssey and BotW-inspired styles/sets for Mario and Link. Zelda might if she's a playable character and Ganon will likely get a redesign as well if un-mummified Ganondorf is fully modeled in BotW 2, and please be because Ganon's luscious hair is ****ing beautiful.

As for Mario? I feel only Rosie or BJ will be cut at best (Dr. Mario and Piranha Plant being the obvious I don't have to mention) because the Core 7 which are aptly dubbed the Seven Star Children are just too iconic and known to let go.

Pokémon is too much of a variable. Mewtwo, PT, and Pika are mainstays due to Gen 1 popularity and pandering from TPC, but Greninja, Lucario (though likely gonna stay since it's still fairly popular), Incineroar, Pichu, and perhaps even Jigglypuff are in contention to be replaced or scrapped altogether.

Kirby better get Bandana Waddle Dee or I'll seriously be a bit miffed next time.

The rest are series that will likely stay the same (with Splatoon being the only one I can see getting another character) or have cuts as the ones I mentioned have always been the core franchises of Smash and (besides Kirby, albeit you could still argue for it) are some of the biggest and longest-running series from Ninty.

I don't know why this turned into speculation for the next game, but yeah. I can see a roster of around 50+ characters. Brawl had like, what? Close to 40? There's no reason the roster shouldn't be comparable to or greater than Brawl's at the least.
Just to point out, Mewtwo didn't make it into Brawl and was lower priority for 4 as well. Jigglypuff has been higher priority quite consistently. And she's been around the chopping block too. PT never has been in good standings on their own, either. The only cuts that seem to have a decent chance in later games for Pokemon have been Mewtwo(more than once not returning in base or at all), Pokemon Trainer, and Pichu. Incineroar is a specific style that Sakurai wanted, so unless he doesn't return, there's little reason to believe the fire cat is going away. Jigglypuff might if they're reducing a lot of the roster size, though. Basically, Pokemon isn't nearly as much of a variable if you look at what the priorities are. If not all are returning, it's easy to see who tends to be easiest to cut. Hard to do mechanics tend to go easily unless they're the only character, and then licensing is a factor otherwise(which is why we sadly lost Snake for one game).

I'm not sure what you mean by the Super Mario 7, but we only have Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach as true mainstays. Rosalina and Bowser Jr. seem unlikely to ever be cut. Dr. Mario could go either way. PP probably will stay for uniqueness factors alone. Yoshi, Wario, and the three DK characters are under their own umbrella and really don't fit in the same way. They have completely different stages, music, and symbols and are best to say they're only tangibly related these days. I also think Daisy has no real chance of being cut either. Dr. Mario takes more effort, but he does seem likely to stay due to still being a low effort clone.

Zelda probably will stay only in a Princess outfit, so it depends what BOTW II is like. Updating her to a completely different character makes the moveset feel weird. She's an entirely different personality and actually has a far more adventurous style that doesn't fit her Smash moveset. She's a Magical Princess overall, not unlike Peach(and Daisy). They could also potentially give us Hilda as an Echo, though. Perhaps with a few bits taken from Palutena.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
That's the problem. There's an item specifically designed to prevent that and it doesn't work. First place is by far the easiest place to be in, and stay in, the only countermeasure being RNG that will either do nothing or bring 1st down to 10th. There's no gray area.

The better joy comes from playing a better game without massive reliance on RNG in the first place, no rubberbanding, and balancing mechanics that work without ruining the experience.
Oh, it works, it just doesn't work on the best of the best..and yes, 1st can drop to 10th, its just the best of the best know the tricks to stay up in the lead..ever play online? Its competitive as all get out.

And honestly, I'd rather play a game like Mario Kart where I have the chance of getting up there than a supposedly more 'competitive' and 'balanced' game where those with skill will ALWAYS be in the lead and unbeatable.

Fact is everyone has their preferences when it comes to racing games (and any games). For example, I love the Mario Kart & Sonic Racing games (haven't tried CTR yet), but I get pretty bored by games like Forza.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Honestly, the only problem I have with Super Mario Maker 2 right now involves the night themes being music box lullaby remixes which tend to be very unfitting IMO.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I never had an issue with the bandwagoning cause it kept me on my toes. I have an issue with the extreme items, but only in single player. Skill is something that, imo, should be important in a racing game. So items being that strong just makes it difficult to unlock stuff instead, or get neat scores. It's not challenging when you're getting bombarded by over 5 NPC's with OP items. It's not a matter of RNG in itself either. It's a matter of bad balancing. There's nothing wrong with the items in multiplayer fun matches either. But they could balance it a bit better, though if I remember right, you can turn items off too? Something like an item switch would certainly improve the game.

The thing about the rubberbanding A.I. just means you actually have to try to win in itself. That's not bad at all. Why shouldn't you put some effort into a race in single player? It's a race. There's an intention to win. It was always the point of single player. I felt Mario Kart 64 had a great balance. Even the Blue Shell wasn't beyond ridiculous, and the A.I. were all reasonably beatable even on the highest difficulties. I've been everything with Bowser as is, after all. And he has horrible acceleration and not so great turning. Skill isn't a bad thing.

There's a very clear difference between multiplayer which should allow for more casual settings and single player where it's pretty impossible to unlock a lot of stuff due to the computers hitting you with 6 items in a row. One is not good design.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Here's a game that Will Will just inspired the idea for with his ninja boys picture. For some reason.

You get to create a fighting game with a roster of 16 characters. Here's the kicker: They all have to be playable characters from fighting game franchises and you're allowed no more than 3 per franchise. The 16th character, however, can be a guest character not from a fighting game franchise.

Show me your rosters.

And give your games a kick*** title.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I would imagine everybody got their eulogies out for Desmond, bless his soul, and things are back to normal faster than usual. Good, good. We need to focus on the times he made us smile; that way, he'll always be among us. I feel like Sakurai himself must have taken a hit when he heard.

Regardless, subjects such as today's events are something I don't like to talk about, so let's brighten up the board even further by sharing some good news that happened to us within the past week. I'll start of by saying that I'm done with my job as a machine part manufacturer. Probably gonna be a stock filler at my nearby market.

Now it's your turn.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I would imagine everybody got their eulogies out for Desmond, bless his soul, and things are back to normal faster than usual. Good, good. We need to focus on the times he made us smile; that way, he'll always be among us. I feel like Sakurai himself must have taken a hit when he heard.

Regardless, subjects such as today's events are something I don't like to talk about, so let's brighten up the board even further by sharing some good news that happened to us within the past week. I'll start of by saying that I'm done with my job as a machine part manufacturer. Probably gonna be a stock filler at my nearby market.

Now it's your turn.
My Youtube channel gained 1800 subscribers and I got the paperwork to apply for a loan for studio quality recording equipment to begin recording from home.

Also I got two headshots with one Embar shot in Gears last night and that felt really ****ing good.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Here's a game that Will Will just inspired the idea for with his ninja boys picture. For some reason.

You get to create a fighting game with a roster of 16 characters. Here's the kicker: They all have to be playable characters from fighting game franchises and you're allowed no more than 3 per franchise. The 16th character, however, can be a guest character not from a fighting game franchise.

Show me your rosters.

uh

- Ryu, Chun-Li, and M. Bison
- Fulgore
- Ivy and Nightmare
- Scorpion and Johnny Cage
- Haohmaru and Nakoruru
- Terry Bogard
- Akira
- Sol Badguy
- Kasumi
- Heihachi
- Shaq (Shaq-Fu)
- Captain Falcon

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
uh

- Ryu, Chun-Li, and M. Bison
- Fulgore
- Ivy and Nightmare
- Scorpion and Johnny Cage
- Haohmaru and Nakoruru
- Terry Bogard
- Akira
- Sol Badguy
- Kasumi
- Heihachi
- Shaq (Shaq-Fu)
- Captain Falcon
That's a pretty damn good list.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

Show me your rosters.

I've been playing with this one for a while now. I've only played, like, three real fighters, but I think I can make this at least noticable:

Ryu, Ken, and M. Bison (Street Fighter)
Son Goku, Krillin, & Goku Black (Dragon Ball FighterZ [this counts, right?])
Filia, Squigly, & Double (Skullgirls)

As for fighters I've yet to play;
Jin, Kazuya, & Heihachi (Tekken)
Sol Badguy, Faust, & Bedman (Guilty Gear)

And of course, the obligatory original character who has powers of everyone and is also the final boss.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Show me your rosters.

I'd name it King of the Ring or Ring Busters. Something along those lines.

Ryu(Street Fighter)
Chun-Li(Street Fighter)
M.Bison(Street Fighter)
Jin Kazama(Tekken)
Nina Williams(Tekken)
Heihachi Mishima(Tekken)
Terry Bogard(Fatal Fury)
Mai Shiranui(Fatal Fury)
Geese Howard(Fatal Fury)
Scorpion(MK)
Sub-Zero(MK)
Fulgore(KI)
Spinal(KI)
Morrigan(Darkstalkers)
Nightmare(Soul Calibur)
Little Mac(Punch-Out!!) if Mac doesn't count as a guest, than Mega Man X I guess.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
What about ModNation felt awful to you, if I may ask?

I guess I just don't understand how some people can experience the sensation of fun in a random environment. Or rather, it's that it's an environment that has the potential to be skill based, but throws that out the window for randomness. I enjoy Mario Party, it being a board game. But playing Mario Kart, or something like playing Smash with Assist Trophies on high... getting a kill that way feels hollow. Winning a race because of a Bullet Bill feels empty. The fun isn't there. I just don't get it.
It's been a few years since I played ModNation Racers, so I couldn't possibly come up with more specific criticisms. But I do remember just not enjoying the feel of the driving. Which I admit, is entirely a subjective idea that I absolutely cannot substantiate with any direct evidence. But the basic drifting and driving just never clicked when I played it, and if that doesn't happen, then I just don't enjoy the racer and I'm unlikely to put lots of time into the game to learn those mechanics. Especially with arcade racers. My mark of a good arcade racer is if the game clicks within the first hour. If it can't do that, I'm not going to enjoy it.

I think there's an absolute joy to randomness and chaotic circumstances in video games. You get insanely hillarious moments with your friends when everything starts going wrong and the perfect storm affects one person or another. Yes, there's rage to the person suffering, but there's only so much that can be blamed on another person since it's mostly random, so it's not lasting or deep rage. And it can happen to you or anyone else at any time. It adds a layer of tension to the game that you otherwise wouldn't get. It makes you make more split second decisions that can have major consequences and completely change the moment to moment gameplay. And I think there's almost certainly a skill involved with managing randomness. Randomness means you'll never fully be in control, but then it comes down to recognizing what you can control, how to manage the resources you have, and what to prioritize in the moment to moment gameplay (Such as Assist Trophies, Poke Balls, and Smash Balls). Fights can often times be less about hitting your opponent and more about keeping them from getting something.

I love randomness because it adds variation to gameplay at the casual level. I don't feel the need to compete every time I play a game. I may be competitive in the moment, but it's also super refreshing to play something where it doesn't matter as much and you can easily blame randomness on your failures. In a 1-on-1 match in Smash, it's all on you and your ability. Sometimes that lessened pressure just makes the experience more fun. I'm not good enough to compete at any high level play of most video games anyway, so I might as well have some fun. Especially in a game like Mario Kart that acknowledges exactly what it is and doesn't deviate from it.

Plus, there's just so many moments where I've laughed my ass off at the absurdity of the random situations. 3 different Pokemon attacking everyone, a Sheriff shooting, and everyone trying to escape lava only to be hit by a moving crate that was actually a bomb. It's just a completely different game in that moment and it becomes a source of entertainment. Or the dreaded, lighting, blue shell, red shell, green shell of Mario Kart. There's a joy to seeing randomness play out in my mind given the unlikely probabilities for these events to occur simultaneously in a specific sequence.

Also, doesn't Mario Kart 8 have a Mushroom only play mode? That might be more up your alley in the future. And Mario Party is so much worse than any other random game. The core of the game comes from rolling dice, at least the others rely upon at least having some control among chaos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom