• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

My birthday surely took a grim turn. I'm feeling weak and paranoid. Intrusive thoughts and the recent news form a big beast; a calamity. Last decade it was a pop icon, and now this. I'm speechless guys.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
My birthday surely took a grim turn. I'm feeling weak and paranoid. Intrusive thoughts and the recent news form a big beast; a calamity. Last decade it was a pop icon, and now this. I'm speechless guys.
It's nothing you should think too deeply about. There's bound to be bad things that occur on a person's birthday. And I'm sure there's some good things too.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Not really..... thoughts on the upcoming project? What abthe fact that they’re doing a crossover comic with the freakin Transformers?!?
If you mean the new film, don’t have much to say aside from that I’m glad Ivan Reitman will be back. Had no knowledge on that crossover and curious how on earth that will turn out.

To be fair, these kids ain't ready for Olimar's supreme baritone. Man's got that BASS in his voice.

I'd want Ben Diskin to voice Mega Man in Smash too. Because hearing him yell out "It's NOW OR NEVER!" Right before landing a Mega Upper would be pretty good.
I kinda hope they direct him to use a bit younger sounding voice next time. Now all we need is a new voice for :ultpacman:.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The CTR remake is making the internet rounds. Here, have a rant:

Saying CTR is better than Mario Kart is equivalent to saying something is sharper than a bowling ball. Mario Kart is a trash series with gameplay specifically designed to punish racing ability and keep its skill ceiling as low as possible so that Grandma can play. CTR is the lesser of two evils, but it's far from the holy grail of kart racers. Drifting is unintuitive and awkward (yes, I grew up with CTR, this is not a newcomer's perspective). Items are still luck of the draw, and defending comes down to whether you have the right doodad or not.

Mario Kart DS is the only good Mario Kart because the inclusion of viable snaking allowed for high-level play--it's sad that this was a feature the devs acquiesced to including, rather than it being desired. Diddy Kong Racing had a good item system that allowed you to choose what powerups to get in a situation and whether to upgrade them. But the king of kart racers for me is ModNation Racers, which addressed literally every complaint I've had with others throughout the years. No blue shell BS, no hopeless futility if you're out of 1st, no rubberbanding, extremely dynamic gameplay with a low skill floor and high skill ceiling and a multitude of ways to approach any scenario both offensively and defensively. That's not even to say anything of the creative aspects of the game, that's just the engine. It's absolutely tragic that we'll probably never see anything like it again.

That people are blowing their load over CTR just shows me how starved they are for anything half-resembling decent after Mario Kart's disgusting monopoly.
I feel like you're being overly harsh on Mario Kart. There's quite a bit of skill that can allow you to perform beyond others and if you want to see high level play and have a more rewarding experience with the game, just turn on 200cc and adapt to a whole new style of Mario Kart. I know the series does not have a particularly high skill ceiling, but in more or less any Mario Kart, skill and understanding of the game will go much, much further than someone who has a much more basic and limited ability. Rubberbanding is an issue though...

All that said, I don't think most people play Kart racers for super competitive reasons. The wacky and crazy nature of the games makes them idea for shenanigans and entertainment. I'd honestly rather play stuff like Mario Kart than Modnation Racers too... maybe it's just an inherent Nintendo bias... but Mario Kart just feels right... Modnation just felt awful to actually race in.

At the end of the day, that's what decides my ability to enjoy a racing game. Plenty of competent racing titles don't feel right and I can't play/don't enjoy. But give me Mario Kart and Burnout and I'll play them exclusively for as long as I can.

Iridium

Smash Hero
You're not alone on that feeling. We lost Stan Lee on my birthday, and that soured my mood for the longest time.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
If you mean the new film, don’t have much to say aside from that I’m glad Ivan Reitman will be back. Had no knowledge on that crossover and curious how on earth that will turn out.
I’m interested. But we have so little concrete knowledge on the film that I just don’t know how to feel.

Ghostbusters/Transformers will probably turn out as well as Ghostbusters/TMNT. That is, well enough to get a sequel at least. Still waiting for a crossover between Ghostbusters and John Constantine (the writer and illustrated love him just as much as Ghostbusters and have expressed interest in the pairing before. Fingers crossed!)

Seriously, when I first saw the TMNT crossover announced I was through the moon. I love both to pieces (even if I haven’t read IDW’s TMNT series) and was excited.... if puzzled Because I didn’t really see how they would work together. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they work together. I’m not really interested in Transformers, but I can’t see this team screwing it up.

Then maybe they’ll do a Ghostbusters/Star Trek Book. IDW does have the rights to both after all.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm nearly done Okami; I just have one bead left and then I need to get through the final dungeon (which should be easier than getting all of the beads).

Oddly enough, I'm finding the race with Kai harder than the final bonus combat challenge - I managed to beat the latter with careful item management, but the race is frustrating and seems to require absolute perfection on the player's part, which doesn't mesh with the rest of the game. (which is generally fairly forgiving)

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Played with a couple online people I know, and I realize more than ever how embarrassed I am as a Smash player. I always feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

Why bother playing when I feel like an idiot whenever I play?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
has anyone else noticed that the movie Rango is showing up everywhere on movie review channels now

as a man who say rango when he was 10 years old in theaters, i am above these posers only now realizing the greatness of lizard johnny depp

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
has anyone else noticed that the movie Rango is showing up everywhere on movie review channels now

as a man who say rango when he was 10 years old in theaters, i am above these posers only now realizing the greatness of lizard johnny depp
Rango was legit an underrated movie. Doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I kinda hope they direct him to use a bit younger sounding voice next time. Now all we need is a new voice for :ultpacman:.
Maybe. I thought he sounded fine as is. But since he worked on KND as Numbah 1 and 2, he should be able to do that.

Not sure what kind of voice I'd give Pac-Man. The Ghostly Adventures one sounds kind of like Bobby Hill without an accent. And the World 3 voice sounds like he took out a 2nd mortgage on his house. Sounding grown as hell. I guess the second.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994

I've watched Rango with my family like 20 times over the years. Surprised to see it being brought up.

Still easily one of the best-looking animated movies I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I feel like you're being overly harsh on Mario Kart. There's quite a bit of skill that can allow you to perform beyond others and if you want to see high level play and have a more rewarding experience with the game, just turn on 200cc and adapt to a whole new style of Mario Kart. I know the series does not have a particularly high skill ceiling, but in more or less any Mario Kart, skill and understanding of the game will go much, much further than someone who has a much more basic and limited ability. Rubberbanding is an issue though...

All that said, I don't think most people play Kart racers for super competitive reasons. The wacky and crazy nature of the games makes them idea for shenanigans and entertainment. I'd honestly rather play stuff like Mario Kart than Modnation Racers too... maybe it's just an inherent Nintendo bias... but Mario Kart just feels right... Modnation just felt awful to actually race in.

At the end of the day, that's what decides my ability to enjoy a racing game. Plenty of competent racing titles don't feel right and I can't play/don't enjoy. But give me Mario Kart and Burnout and I'll play them exclusively for as long as I can.
What about ModNation felt awful to you, if I may ask?

I guess I just don't understand how some people can experience the sensation of fun in a random environment. Or rather, it's that it's an environment that has the potential to be skill based, but throws that out the window for randomness. I enjoy Mario Party, it being a board game. But playing Mario Kart, or something like playing Smash with Assist Trophies on high... getting a kill that way feels hollow. Winning a race because of a Bullet Bill feels empty. The fun isn't there. I just don't get it.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Maybe. I thought he sounded fine as is. But since he worked on KND as Numbah 1 and 2, he should be able to do that.

Not sure what kind of voice I'd give Pac-Man. The Ghostly Adventures one sounds kind of like Bobby Hill without an accent. And the World 3 voice sounds like he took out a 2nd mortgage on his house. Sounding grown as hell. I guess the second.
I mean I can’t imagine Rocky boi having either Nigel or Hoagie’s voices but I know he’s capable of doing younger voices, so I hope he’s able to stick around and get more work to flesh out his voice for him.

I mean Pac’s a family man in 3 and a kid in GA so both make sense. For classic Mickey Mouse eyes design, my go-to voice for him is Sam Riegel, I think he’d make a great Pac-Man.
https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0726184/

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’m still in the middle of playing Devil May Cry 4. This series just keeps getting more and more fun as I play, honestly.

While I still think Resident Evil offers the most bang for a hypothetical buck, if Dante somehow ends up in Smash I would probably be just as hyped as if I saw Leon or Jill.

These last two slots will be hype as hell.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

I guess I just don't understand how some people can experience the sensation of fun in a random environment. Or rather, it's that it's an environment that has the potential to be skill based, but throws that out the window for randomness. I enjoy Mario Party, it being a board game. But playing Mario Kart, or something like playing Smash with Assist Trophies on high... getting a kill that way feels hollow. Winning a race because of a Bullet Bill feels empty. The fun isn't there. I just don't get it.
I dunno, in my experience, being skilled in Mario Kart goes a long way. Yeah, there's a bit of randomness, but its not really as much as people act like. If you do good enough and get yourself miles ahead of everyone else, chances are you'll stay there.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I dunno, in my experience, being skilled in Mario Kart goes a long way. Yeah, there's a bit of randomness, but its not really as much as people act like. If you do good enough and get yourself miles ahead of everyone else, chances are you'll stay there.
Jumping in late on the conversation but yeah. When I played MK8 I basically always got in the top 4 regardless. The randomness of items essentially just determined the difference between placing 1st, 2nd or 3rd, and kept the people in the back interested and involved because they can make gains from 12th to 6th, etc.

This idea that "I got hit with a blue shell and now I can't possibly win" is overblown. There's a prevalent skill gap in Mario Kart games.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I feel hot and drained and tired and frustrated.

Anyone got any good jokes or uplifting moments that happened to them today, as unlikely as it may be?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Anyone got any good jokes or uplifting moments that happened to them today, as unlikely as it may be?
Well I learned my 38 year old cousin likes K-pop because he started searching for K-pop videos at my parents' house in St. Louis not realizing it was logged into my account.

Like. That was a lot of BTS videos, dude.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

thing about BB is you only get it when you are dead ****ing last place

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Winning a race because of a Bullet Bill feels empty. The fun isn't there. I just don't get it.
You either lose because without items you have no chance in hell of catching up to 1st place from last place or you win because RNGesus has blessed you with an item. The RNG isn't the fun, the fun is being skilled enough to dodge what uber powerful move they gave the last guy so you can surpass it and keep going forward.

No better joy comes from going in reverse and not getting hit with a blue shell cause some dummy wasn't looking at the submenu

D

Deleted member

Today I learned that I can pretty much use PHP as a programming language, got my task pretty much done already.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I’m still in the middle of playing Devil May Cry 4. This series just keeps getting more and more fun as I play, honestly.

While I still think Resident Evil offers the most bang for a hypothetical buck, if Dante somehow ends up in Smash I would probably be just as hyped as if I saw Leon or Jill.

These last two slots will be hype as hell.
I'd prefer DMC over RE since Dante's probably one of my favorite game characters.

I really hope that the last 2 characters are ones I can get hyped about. I definitely don't want someone mid.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Two satellites fall in love and get married

The ceremony was meh, but the reception was great
1561521404903.png

i could say some sciency nerd **** so hard right now noipoi you have no clue how close i am

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'd prefer DMC over RE since Dante's probably one of my favorite game characters.

I really hope that the last 2 characters are ones I can get hyped about. I definitely don't want someone mid.
i'm 0/14 on people i even care about getting in smash this entire game

all i have for hope now is just my bois

1561521517303.png

my highly unlikely ninja bois

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
That's the problem. There's an item specifically designed to prevent that and it doesn't work. First place is by far the easiest place to be in, and stay in, the only countermeasure being RNG that will either do nothing or bring 1st down to 10th. There's no gray area.

You either lose because without items you have no chance in hell of catching up to 1st place from last place or you win because RNGesus has blessed you with an item. The RNG isn't the fun, the fun is being skilled enough to dodge what uber powerful move they gave the last guy so you can surpass it and keep going forward.

No better joy comes from going in reverse and not getting hit with a blue shell cause some dummy wasn't looking at the submenu
The better joy comes from playing a better game without massive reliance on RNG in the first place, no rubberbanding, and balancing mechanics that work without ruining the experience.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
i'm 0/14 on people i even care about getting in smash this entire game

all i have for hope now is just my bois

View attachment 229304

my highly unlikely ninja bois
Yeah, at least base game I got Ridley, D.Samus, Ken, Simon and Incineroar. So I'm good with that.

None of the DLC so far seems bad, but I'll probably get it when the last character is shown off. Most of my wanted characters are pretty low chance, so we'll see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom