• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I’ve just informed myself of the Etika tragedy and all I can really say is... wow.

That it would get to this point is baffling. Yes, the man had mental issues, but how could this have happened? Surely he had to have had someone making an effort to help him.

The thought that he was driven to this point due to no one understanding his situation is unspeakably sad.
he mentioned in his final video that he should have gotten help. He felt that it was too late.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
On the brighter side of things that happened today, I managed to beat Dracula a third time on another run through of Castlevania for NES. It’s safe to say that it’s one of my favorite old school/retro games of all time. :)

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I mean this in no way to lecture you, but I feel like I have to make a point of this because this assertion is part of what lead up to this in the first place. It was never a joke. Yes, he didn't go through with harming himself those times, but the mental breakdowns were not a joke. They were a cry for help. I only say this because I desperately want to see this mistake not be repeated in the future.
I'm aware you're not lecturing us, but I feel like you might be right, hitting a nail in me.

There were clear signs of what was going to happen to him, yet peoples pretended to not care, unill he disappeared. I do think that, if peoples actually cared about his signs more and tried to reach him out a bit more immediately, he would still be alive.

Of course... I tried to reach over to him through Twitter, and some health websites, reporting about his condition, but my advice went unnoticed..

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So do you guys think we'll end up getting an ultimate edition of Smash Ultimate that comes with all DLC like how the MK and Injustice games had done? What do you think?

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I’m on the final Case in ace attorney investigations 2 and holy **** it got dark fast

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So do you guys think we'll end up getting an ultimate edition of Smash Ultimate that comes with all DLC like how the MK and Injustice games had done? What do you think?
Considering Smash 4 didn't, doubt. In fact, thise types of editions are getting less and less popular as the days come because of DLC and Updates rendering them pointless.

Now, Mario Kart 8 did something like that, but that was on a whole nother console.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not that I want to veer back into this depressing topic again, but I'm seeing a lot of people in this thread say someone should've reached out to Etika sooner. One thing I'd like everyone to remember is that Etika, despite having a mental illness, was the one who ultimately made the decision. It's not fair to shift the blame onto other people and say things like, "You should've done something sooner!" or "You shouldn't have ignored the signs!", or worst of all, "Maybe he'd still be alive if you didn't do what you did!".

Comments like these hit people harder than you think. Family members who were caught up in everyday life might feel responsible, friends who didn't visit him when they knew something was wrong might feel responsible, that guy online who frequently wrote nasty comments might feel responsible - it can take a toll on one's mind.

Truth is, no one is responsible. Don't find someone to blame, and don't dwell on the "what if"s.

Iridium

Smash Hero
On the brighter side of things that happened today, I managed to beat Dracula a third time on another run through of Castlevania for NES. It’s safe to say that it’s one of my favorite old school/retro games of all time. :)
I really would like to replay that game right about now.

On a side note, imagine if Sakurai stuck to the game's mechanics and made it so that Simon's air acceleration was basically nonexistent if he jumped. That would suck.

Probably, although I don't think a ton of people who own the game already would need it, aside from those who like to collect.

Time to embarrass myself

I spent five hours on this tell me if they were wasted
Didn't you have this as your avatar a while ago? It's good, but I can't help but think Chesnaught is essentially Pokémon's Eggman in terms of appearance.

Last edited:

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
I may be 4 or so hours late, but R.I.P to Etika.

Gone, but never forgotten. A huge part of the Smash community; such laughs and bravado in him made us feel light and happy.
Godspeed, my man. Godspeed. My condolences goes to his family and friends for a lifetime.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Got another job interview coming up. Hoo boy.
Hope it goes better for you than last time. Not a devout believer in karma, but I think keeping at it pays off eventually.

Never mind, bad time
We aren't stopping people from mourning/posting their constructive thoughts if they choose to do so, but I don't want anyone to feel obligated to not post just because of the sad mood today. Life goes on, and some of us appreciate the distraction.

-

I'm messing around with custom stages (have needed to clear up space since I got a few B&K themed ones following their reveal), and might be in the mood to host a casual-ish arena later, if anyone's up for it (can devolve into 1v1s seriouslies or ****post stage shenanigans depending on what people would prefer).

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I have to be honest, I'm been the mindset for a long time that social media is going to be the downfall of humanity, especially since I feel cancel culture played a part in Etika's suicide. Granted we've seen good things from social media but that's more of an exception, because even doing something dumb ONCE a long time ago now gets you crucified by hashtag activists who then proceed to doxx you for the greater good.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Okay. Batman and TMNT is a weird enough pairing for a comic book crossover miniseries. Yet somehow it’s great enough to get two sequels and an animated movie adaptation. We officially live in the weirdest timeline.

Now tell me DC, where’s my Power Rangers/ Justice League animated movie. And Nickelodeon. Where’s my TMNT/Ghostbusters animated movie.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I’m progressing in the final case of investigations 2 and:
that mother ****** Simon is behind this all! He was kind of shady and the fact he kept complaining about not wanting to go to jail was a red flag but that’s still a crazy twist, especially since he’s gustavia’s son.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
This is the first I think I actually cried over a internet influencer/celebrity. Hopefully theres something we could all take from this tragedy and grow from it, not letting this death just being a news headline that'll blew over after some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom