• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I have no words right now.

None other than this.

****, I wasn't expecting to see this kind of news today. Not about him. I never would've imagined this happening.

I'm just stunned.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'd never seen it before, but yeah that was pretty cool. Still, seeing his reaction to characters like Banjo and Bayo... I dunno, it doesn't have the energy.
I'm ignorant of how reaction videos go and how much they're genuine/acted, but it kind of depends on your closeness to the material.

If I had a camera on me for the Cloud reveal, it would have gone something like, "Oh, wow, they really put the guy from Final Fantasy in. Cool."

If I had a camera on me for Panzer Dragoon getting a remake announced at E3 2019, it'd be more like, "WHAT. NO. NO. YES!!!! OH MY ****ING GOD NINTENDO I LOVE YOU HOLY **** HOLY **** HOLY ****!!!!!"

D

Deleted member

I'm ignorant of how reaction videos go and how much they're genuine/acted, but it kind of depends on your closeness to the material.

If I had a camera on me for the Cloud reveal, it would have gone something like, "Oh, wow, they really put the guy from Final Fantasy in. Cool."

If I had a camera on me for Panzer Dragoon getting a remake announced at E3 2019, it'd be more like, "WHAT. NO. NO. YES!!!! OH MY ****ING GOD NINTENDO I LOVE YOU HOLY **** HOLY **** HOLY ****!!!!!"
You should have seen my reactions to Eight getting in Smash and the F4 in UA3, lol.

It got even more hype when I called my friend from Madrid to talk about Hero and at that moment he told me that he passed every high school subject this year with excellent notes.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Man looking at this title it’s kind of sad:

Honestly though I always laugh at this siilva video because etika’s reaction to cloud was pretty fun even if a bit over the top.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
IIf I had a camera on me for Panzer Dragoon getting a remake announced at E3 2019, it'd be more like, "WHAT. NO. NO. YES!!!! OH MY ****ING GOD NINTENDO I LOVE YOU HOLY **** HOLY **** HOLY ****!!!!!"
me in 2090 when nintendo finally makes another f-zero

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
My prayers go out to Etika's friends and family, as well as the man himself.

I didn't actively follow his videos but he provided a lot of laughter and entertainment to a lot of gaming communities, and more than that I'd definitely say he was a good man. He deserved better than this.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Max has the uncanny super power to recognize things from his favorite games by only 2 seconds of music
Granted, the sound to start the Panzer Dragoon reveal is the most distinct song from the game and the opening is, in fact, only four notes long.

It's not even a remake of the song. It's the exact same music file from the original game on Sega Saturn. I was freaking out after 1-2 notes too.

Think of it this way: If a black screen came up and you heard only the "DOO-DOO-DOO" to start the Super Mario Bros. 1-1 song, you'd already know what the trailer is going to be.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Man looking at this title it’s kind of sad:

Honestly though I always laugh at this siilva video because etika’s reaction to cloud was pretty fun even if a bit over the top.
They did a lot of Etika related rips for the King for a Day tournament last year too. There's a lot of overlap between Etika and siivagunner fans. A member of the Siiva team passed away just last week too... the last couple weeks have been pretty rough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
>devil may cry is now on switch

oh no, he's coming

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
>devil may cry is now on switch

oh no, he's coming
*muffling of SWORDTRICKSWORDTRICKSWORDTRICKSWORDTRICKSWORDTRICKSTWORDGUNTRICKSWORDTRICKSWORDROYALGUNTRICKSWORD can be heard in the distance...*

D

Deleted member

Why dies Pit not have armpit hair? He’s like, what, 13? I’m not weird, I’m just asking the real questions.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Going to go for the night, normally I stay longer, but I think it's best for today I go sooner to sleep due to everything that happened.

On that said, I hope tomorrow is a better day, for you and me.

See ya all!
Kasumi bed uhhh.gif

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
[insert sometimes i just meme here]
taylor i know i ask y'all if y'all ever just, but i don't actually expect y'all to just just, for justing is an act not for y'all to ever just take lightly

think on your sins

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I can’t say I watched Etika’s videos much, but there is one thing I want to talk about with situation.

Please, please try to recognize and act upon people’s cries for help. Be it online or in person. In this thread alone there is usually about 3 or more cries for help a week of how terrible they feel. Not all of them are necessarily convey self-harm, but that doesn’t mean they should not be ignored.

This isn’t a call out post or anything, I just want to encourage people to take the time to simply talk to someone who needs it. To many, simply asking for help is a lot to ask for, sometimes we got to take the initiative. letting people vent directly into you can be tiring, but it’s better than letting people yell into the void with no response making them feel abandoned in a sea of voices.

I know we might not always be what the person needs to solve their problems, but talking one on one with them can help them process their problems and at least reassure them that they’re not alone.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, every reaction is different.

Like for me, when Inklings were revealed, I almost fell out of my chair, because I just knew their time has finally arrived.
Meanwhile, for someone like Banjo, I was more so like, "Ok, cool... I guess"

Different strokes for different folks.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Etika's death makes me think back to when my father died a few years ago. My dad didn't take his own life but they were both deaths that could have been avoided if they had gotten the help they needed sooner.

My condolences to his family.

D

Deleted member

I’m going to go watch Toy Story 4. If it isn’t exactly like then then I want a refund.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Etika was my go to entertainer for a long time. He always made me laugh and his streams were always fun to be in. Even when I knew this was the fate he'd meet since that video, it still hits hard and doesn't feel real

May the best Ridley player carry on his legacy.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Etika's case really grinds me most, because you had a man who clearly was using his field and views to cry for help. This man didn't even really try to hide that he needed help.

And no one really listened.

That's just tragic and shows how far we have to go as a society with how we deal with mental health.
I think the fact that he blocked every close irl friend he had a few weeks ago (people like sky and shizzy) was a clear sign that he wasn't okay. Maybe the biggest. The next being his deleted video.

Despite mental health being more known about and accepted as an issue, it still feels like people are uncomfortable to talk about it. Instead people lean on jokes and such to kind of offset that awkwardness. I've seen both people who are depressed do it and the people who are being reached out to about it. Hell, look at the overabundance of suicide memes and the fact that the desire for death has actually become a meme in and of itself. It's clear a lot of people feel similarly, they just aren't able to articulate it without feeling like a burden. They want to communicate those feelings, but don't want to do so in a way that makes things awkward or uncomfortable for others.

That's why it's important to be open about this stuff. Opening up to one person about this stuff is way easier than a group, so just showing that you're available to speak to can actually help quite a bit.

D

Deleted member

I think the fact that he blocked every close irl friend he had a few weeks ago (people like sky and shizzy) was a clear sign that he wasn't okay. Maybe the biggest. The next being his deleted video.

Despite mental health being more known about and accepted as an issue, it still feels like people are uncomfortable to talk about it. Instead people lean on jokes and such to kind of offset that awkwardness. I've seen both people who are depressed do it and the people who are being reached out to about it. Hell, look at the overabundance of suicide memes and the fact that the desire for death has actually become a meme in and of itself. It's clear a lot of people feel similarly, they just aren't able to articulate it without feeling like a burden. They want to communicate those feelings, but don't want to do so in a way that makes things awkward or uncomfortable for others.

That's why it's important to be open about this stuff. Opening up to one person about this stuff is way easier than a group, so just showing that you're available to speak to can actually help quite a bit.
If I’m totally honest, I really don’t know enough about mental illnesses to identify them. Sorry about that.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

A person with a high risk of suicide can be tricky to identify.

A lot of people mistake a very sudden transition from deep depression to a calm, relaxed attitude as a sign of improvement, but it's actually a sign that the person may have finalized his decision to commit suicide. Other signs include giving away personal items, strange emotional goodbyes on otherwise normal days (saying goodbye before going to work), and a strong desire to be left alone and be away from supervision.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
A person with a high risk of suicide can be tricky to identify.

A lot of people mistake a very sudden transition from deep depression to a calm, relaxed attitude as a sign of improvement, but it's actually a sign that the person may have finalized his decision to commit suicide. Other signs include giving away personal items, strange emotional goodbyes on otherwise normal days (saying goodbye before going to work), and a strong desire to be left alone and be away from supervision.
Yeah. I don't want the conversation to veer too deep into this topic, but can confirm.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
so to not have this become depressionboards

i got another car yesterday. upgraded from a 1999 jeep with 290k miles to a 2017 chevrolet spark with only 27k miles

****s cash

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I can't believe this is really happening. Really happening... so it wasn't an joke, this time...

I did not know he would go this far...

I think I'll just go outside and try to clear my mind. I've seen how terrible this is, and... Maybe I just should go for some time... to forget about other things...

I can't do a lot of things, not much if at all, but the least I can do is at least to let me offer him and his family my condolences.

Please... I want him to rest in peace, in the nice and caring heavens.

Goodbye.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
if anyone wants to listen to some chill music, boards of canada broadcast a two hour mix of songs called "Societas X Tape" during a special nts radio event this weekend

its pretty cool

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Rest in peace Etika

The man was obviously in desperate need of help yet no one close to him provided the help he needed. We're in an age where our internet personas and real life selves are muddling together. As time goes on the line separating the internet and real life becomes smaller and smaller. It becomes hard to differentiate the two especially when you become very famous and popular. Let this be a tale of caution for everyone, the internet can drive you into a path of destruction if you're not careful.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I can't believe this is really happening. Really happening... so it wasn't an joke, this time...

I did not know he would go this far...

I think I'll just go outside and try to clear my mind. I've seen how terrible this is, and... Maybe I just should go for some time... to forget about other things...

I can't do a lot of things, not much if at all, but the least I can do is at least to let me offer him and his family my condolences.

Please... I want him to rest in peace, in the nice and caring heavens.

Goodbye.
I mean this in no way to lecture you, but I feel like I have to make a point of this because this assertion is part of what lead up to this in the first place. It was never a joke. Yes, he didn't go through with harming himself those times, but the mental breakdowns were not a joke. They were a cry for help. I only say this because I desperately want to see this mistake not be repeated in the future.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If I’m totally honest, I really don’t know enough about mental illnesses to identify them. Sorry about that.
There's no shame in admitting that. Most people don't really understand mental illness. Mental health isn't exactly something they teach you about in grade school.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I’ve just informed myself of the Etika tragedy and all I can really say is... wow.

That it would get to this point is baffling. Yes, the man had mental issues, but how could this have happened? Surely he had to have had someone making an effort to help him.

The thought that he was driven to this point due to no one understanding his situation is unspeakably sad.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hey guys. I am back. Still sad over what's happened today but I am better now.

Hopefully Etika is in better place looking down at his friends and loved ones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom