• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Actually

TheMightyP TheMightyP

Since you're a pretty big Steve fan, think you can give your opinion on Steve Moveset & how fun he is going to play/fight against?

Just curious, if you don't know yet, that's fine.
Glad you asked!

This moveset is everything I wanted, and imo, all he really needed was Mining and Crafting. But they went beyond my expectations. I was kinda expecting him to be a mostly swordie, but I'm glad they incorparated other tools in his moveset. Flint and Steel and the Lava Bucket was never one of my guesses.

But in terms of the moveset, it's perfect. Before his reveal, I thought he was gonna only have the diamond sword, plus blocks, bows and arrows, and the Elytra, but the idea of crafting your own weapons + durability is much more in the spirit of Minecraft, and like in Minecraft, you always want to be mining for better blocks, materials, and weapons. They nailed that part down too. Minecraft is just as much inventory management as it is with mining and crafting, so knowing when to use your materials to either craft or make them blocks in crucial, so I'm glad they got that down as well. The weapon durability, power, and in the case of gold, speed is accurate to the game as well, so that was great to see.

Placing blocks is pretty much how I expected it to go. You use materials to put blocks down. However, I there were two things that subverted my expectations: One is the blocks break automatically, and two ks that you can actually place blocks in the air, when that's not even possible in Minecraft. The idea of not wanting to use iron blocks is true as well, because iron is the most valuable material in Minecraft, and there's no exception.

Now, im terms of the moves, I love it. The Minecart, the Elytra, TNT Traps, REDSTONE (Didn't expect to see that like at all), Sword, Picks, Shovels and Axes (RIP to the hoes), Fishing Rod, Pistons, Anvils, the ****ing MAGMA BLOCK (REALLY didn't expect that), it feels like a fan moveset, but in a good way. What's even neater is that iirc, almost every thing the consumes material used the same crafting recipe in Smash as it did in Minecraft, so that's a really cool touch.

I'm also happy that they're made the animations stiff as well, I don't think going the route of elbows and knees would have looked good. And speaking of the animations, I love the little nods and touches, such as the bed, moving the head up and down, the tumble animation just being the knockback animation from Minecraft, makes him pop out by a lot.

Needless to say, I'm stocked as both a Smash player and Minecraft fan. This is a dream come true to me. Middle school me would be losing it, and let me tell you, college me lost it as well.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Considering that this series almost literally sells people on Nintendo consoles, it seems almost guaranteed that there will be another Smash game, even if Sakurai's not involved or the scope is really toned down compared to Ultimate.
Pretty much this. Smash is a big seller franchise for Nintendo and I do expect a new iteration to come within the future. What will be interesting to see is can the roster top Ultimate's which is not going to be an easy task.

I will say this on what I think about the Smash series as a whole which it is not just about a celebration of Nintendo games, but its a celebration of video games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You could also....save it.
Well, duh. I'll probablly split it in half: 50% goes to savings, rest goes in my "immediate purchase" pile. Need to upgrade like half of the stuff I use anyway, and $130 should be enough to get me started.

Last edited by a moderator:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Here is a question for some that are upset. I understand not getting the character you are interested in, but why so much distaste? Steve may not be someone you were wanting or interested in, but I look at characters that fall into that bucket for me (Joker, K Rool, Isabelle, Byleth, Min min) and I have gone "Darn. I was hoping for Goemon. or Sissel. or Aya. Or Raziel" but after the disapointment, I usually get excited because it is a new character. it is a new kit. new moves, levels, spirits and things to do. It is not what I wanted, but like Terry and plant and richter and snake and ROB and Palutina and etc, I find some form of enjoyment out of the new content.

So I am curious, why such distaste?
SSBSpredictionHeron.png

For reference. This is what I was predicting when FP1 started. I see only 1 that actually made it from that list. 2 have been Mii costumed and the last one is in limbo. (but not going to be a fighter. Pretty sure of that.)

But after FP1, I can say I am still happy. Terry and Hero are highlights.

D

Deleted member

I swear if one more person tells me “Minecraft is the most popular game of all time!” I’m gonna go psycho.
it is though? Not by much but it's the highest selling single game(beaten pretty much only by Pokemon as a series but individually? hell nah)

And that's not even talking about the community, there's minecraft content everywhere you look.

D

Deleted member

Here is a question for some that are upset. I understand not getting the character you are interested in, but why so much distaste? Steve may not be someone you were wanting or interested in, but I look at characters that fall into that bucket for me (Joker, K Rool, Isabelle, Byleth, Min min) and I have gone "Darn. I was hoping for Goemon. or Sissel. or Aya. Or Raziel" but after the disapointment, I usually get excited because it is a new character. it is a new kit. new moves, levels, spirits and things to do. It is not what I wanted, but like Terry and plant and richter and snake and ROB and Palutina and etc, I find some form of enjoyment out of the new content.

I already know my most wants aren't getting in so I just sit in the background and fruitlessly hope on the off chance one of my wants does get in. that's probably where it is: people are expecting their favorite RIGHT NOW, so when it's a character most people want but they don't it's pretty easy to get mad, but then you have people like me who really don't care at all. Just look at what happened when Byleth was revealed.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Glad you asked!

This moveset is everything I wanted, and imo, all he really needed was Mining and Crafting. But they went beyond my expectations. I was kinda expecting him to be a mostly swordie, but I'm glad they incorparated other tools in his moveset. Flint and Steel and the Lava Bucket was never one of my guesses.

But in terms of the moveset, it's perfect. Before his reveal, I thought he was gonna only have the diamond sword, plus blocks, bows and arrows, and the Elytra, but the idea of crafting your own weapons + durability is much more in the spirit of Minecraft, and like in Minecraft, you always want to be mining for better blocks, materials, and weapons. They nailed that part down too. Minecraft is just as much inventory management as it is with mining and crafting, so knowing when to use your materials to either craft or make them blocks in crucial, so I'm glad they got that down as well. The weapon durability, power, and in the case of gold, speed is accurate to the game as well, so that was great to see.

Placing blocks is pretty much how I expected it to go. You use materials to put blocks down. However, I there were two things that subverted my expectations: One is the blocks break automatically, and two ks that you can actually place blocks in the air, when that's not even possible in Minecraft. The idea of not wanting to use iron blocks is true as well, because iron is the most valuable material in Minecraft, and there's no exception.

Now, im terms of the moves, I love it. The Minecart, the Elytra, TNT Traps, REDSTONE (Didn't expect to see that like at all), Sword, Picks, Shovels and Axes (RIP to the hoes), Fishing Rod, Pistons, Anvils, the ****ing MAGMA BLOCK (REALLY didn't expect that), it feels like a fan moveset, but in a good way. What's even neater is that iirc, almost every thing the consumes material used the same crafting recipe in Smash as it did in Minecraft, so that's a really cool touch.

I'm also happy that they're made the animations stiff as well, I don't think going the route of elbows and knees would have looked good. And speaking of the animations, I love the little nods and touches, such as the bed, moving the head up and down, the tumble animation just being the knockback animation from Minecraft, makes him pop out by a lot.

Needless to say, I'm stocked as both a Smash player and Minecraft fan. This is a dream come true to me. Middle school me would be losing it, and let me tell you, college me lost it as well.
Thank you for this awesome post!

Sadly can't say much since it's late & too much DMC3 fry my brain, but i'm looking forward to hear your opinion on Steve once he release. This character as lots of potential, and I want to hear the opinions of the fans the most. (especially all the reference to the game, lordy lord, Sakurai & other devs gave it their 200% on this one)

Agree too on the part where it's like a fan moveset, but in a good way. Especially since I think alot of fan moveset try to be too complicate given the characters, but for good 'ole Steve, it just...work. (****, Bethesda is part of microsoft, which own Minecraft, DAMN YOU TOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDD!!)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

There are creatures that science refuses to recognize

But if our eyes see it...

If our cameras capture it...

Does it exist?

LOST TAPES

Do you believe?

QUEENSLAND TIGER

Episode Title: "Queensland Tiger"
Subject matter: Queensland Tiger
Summary: After what appears to be allegedly evidence of living thylacines. A team of both biologists and cryptozoologists ventures into the Australian Outbacks in an attempt to try finding and recording one. Their search of what they thought was going to be among the greatest discoveries in the century of a species thought believed extinct suddenly soon turns into survival when the supposed animals they were seeking turns out to be predators far deadlier and more ancient from the prehistoric past.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master

...I don’t have a witty caption for this one, I just thought it was cute.
Ok. This reminds me. We had a while back a leak saying they saw a girl with a pony tail being modeled. I know time wrote the leak off, but now that "Minecraft content will be in the game" from 2 years ago is true. I wonder if this female with a pony tail will also show up. I would not mind Arle. She looks cute.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I already know my most wants aren't getting in so I just sit in the background and fruitlessly hope on the off chance one of my wants does get in. that's probably where it is: people are expecting their favorite RIGHT NOW, so when it's a character most people want but they don't it's pretty easy to get mad, but then you have people like me who really don't care at all. Just look at what happened when Byleth was revealed.
I honestly think that's a little unreasonable. I rooted for Joker, Hero, Terry, and Min Min when they came out despite never even thinking. There's a difference between a character happening that's not your favorite and a character happening that you absolutely hate. And I know for me, that list is actually pretty small. Heck, despite my dooming and gloming about it earlier I don't think I'd actually mind a Fortnite character that much. I've championed the idea before. But somehow, despite that list not even reaching above single digits, we've already gotten 2 of them. That's just... not right.

D

Deleted member

I've been playing Super Mario Sunshine for the first time ever through Super Mario 3D All Stars these past weeks.

While the Game does have its bugs, I find the setting of the entire game and all the levels really fun to explore around and doing missions in. Glad I got to play this game somehow.

And in case anyone wonders, I just beated today the sandbird level while getting all the blue coins. Thought the level was gonna be harder.

D

Deleted member

Glad you asked!

Amazing post!

It felt like rather than just putting Steve in the game, they put Minecraft in the game.

His move-set is so faithful, detailed, and amazing, that I am very excited for this.

This may be a hot take, but Steve's reveal was my favorite reveal so far.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I honestly think that's a little unreasonable. I rooted for Joker, Hero, Terry, and Min Min when they came out despite never even thinking. There's a difference between a character happening that's not your favorite and a character happening that you absolutely hate. And I know for me, that list is actually pretty small. Heck, despite my dooming and gloming about it earlier I don't think I'd actually mind a Fortnite character that much. I've championed the idea before. But somehow, despite that list not even reaching above single digits, we've already gotten 2 of them. That's just... not right.
That begs the question of why do you hate Steve so much?

Amazing post!

It felt like rather than just putting Steve in the game, they put Minecraft in the game.

His move-set is so faithful, detailed, and amazing, that I am very excited for this.

This may be a hot take, but Steve's reveal was my favorite reveal so far.
The reveal felt so mellow. very anti-climatic in a way. Which was good IMO. Minecraft is not about action to me. It is a mellow game. I was going in expecting to be blown away with spectacle and I instead got a cool breeze. I liked it.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I've been playing Super Mario Sunshine for the first time ever through Super Mario 3D All Stars these past weeks.

While the Game does have its bugs, I find the setting of the entire game and all the levels really fun to explore around and doing missions in. Glad I got to play this game somehow.

And in case anyone wonders, I just beated today the sandbird level while getting all the blue coins. Thought the level was gonna be harder.
Honestly it has been a real joy to be playing Super Mario Sunshine after 15 years. The game while a bit slippery for controlling Mario at times, it is still amazing to play.

Heck I've not been playing my Switch at all outside of it....or my PS4 (especially now with losing all my save data the past two years, still hard to get over). Need to just dig in to something properly.

D

Deleted member

Honestly? I could care less what characters get in. Give me ****ing Goku and I wouldn't care. It's just not something that I think is a big deal, s'all. I'm more interested in how they actually play, rather than stuff like where they come from or how they're designed. Most people from what I've seen anyway, take it way too seriously IMO. It's just a game where you get to beat each other up using iconic gaming icons, it's not a big deal if popular gaming icon #7 gets in over your obscure character that hasn't been mentioned or touched in decades. (not referring to any character in particular, just to make that clear)

D

Deleted member

Honestly it has been a real joy to be playing Super Mario Sunshine after 15 years. The game while a bit slippery for controlling Mario at times, it is still amazing to play.

Heck I've not been playing my Switch at all outside of it....or my PS4 (especially now with losing all my save data the past two years, still hard to get over). Need to just dig in to something properly.
I've dedicated the days before college started to doing progress in the 3 games of 3D All Stars and getting powerful weapons during act 3 of DQXI S.

So far I have been doing good progress with all of that.

Recently I started playing Super Mario 35 too, which is addictive.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I've dedicated the days before college started to doing progress in the 3 games of 3D All Stars and getting powerful weapons during act 3 of DQXI S.

So far I have been doing good progress with all of that.

Recently I started playing Super Mario 35 too, which is addictive.
I am playing Hyrule Warriors again. Lots of mindless Grinding, but also super fun. Super Mario Sunshine is my favorite of the three in the collection. It is not the best of the three, but it is my favorite.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

I've been thrilled with literally everybody added so far, but I can answer at least part of your question based on the comments on GoNintendo; it's simply because Steve, like a majority of Ultimate's newcomers, is a third-party fighter who has a limited history on Nintendo systems. Look at this post and you'll almost immediately see one such perpetrator, essentially typing his head off over how Smash is becoming full of "shill picks" thanks to the growing amount of third parties with prominence on other consoles. To them I'd like to say this; "What's wrong with a little bridge-building?"

D

Deleted member

I am playing Hyrule Warriors again. Lots of mindless Grinding, but also super fun. Super Mario Sunshine is my favorite of the three in the collection. It is not the best of the three, but it is my favorite.
I have Hyrule Warriors and my Wii U chilling in the attic somewhere. Really need to pick it up again, I never actually finished it because my god that difficulty spike was horrible.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

View attachment 288218

For reference. This is what I was predicting when FP1 started. I see only 1 that actually made it from that list. 2 have been Mii costumed and the last one is in limbo. (but not going to be a fighter. Pretty sure of that.)

But after FP1, I can say I am still happy. Terry and Hero are highlights.
It primarily has to do with the narcissistic notion of self entitlement. Which usually stems from their own internal inadequcies and insecurities, as they expect others to give them what they want and leave out what they don't. They set up an illusion of how things should be, and when reality goes against this predetermined illusion their ego takes over to express their displeasure of this 'betrayal.'

D

Deleted member

because Steve, like a majority of Ultimate's newcomers, is a third-party fighter who has a limited history on Nintendo systems.
But if he's part of the majority on not having much history on Nintendo systems, why is everyone mad? That certainly didn't happen with Joker or Banjo, who has had practically no Nintendo presence in the last few years until their announcements no? And even then Minecraft has been ported to at least 3 Nintendo consoles(Wii U, Switch, 3ds) so I dunno where you're getting "limited" history from, especially when the aforementioned consoles Minecraft has been ported to are the recent Nintendo consoles.

D

Deleted member

I do kinda wish that with Minecraft in Smash Nintendo decides to allow Mojang to work on more Nintendo DLC for the Switch version.

I would love to see packs based on Metroid, Kirby and Zelda.

Normally I would hope for DQ content too but there are two DQ Builders game already soooo... Yeah, I am covered on that regard.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I've been thrilled with literally everybody added so far, but I can answer at least part of your question based on the comments on GoNintendo; it's simply because Steve, like a majority of Ultimate's newcomers, is a third-party fighter who has a limited history on Nintendo systems. Look at this post and you'll almost immediately see one such perpetrator, essentially typing his head off over how Smash is becoming full of "shill picks" thanks to the growing amount of third parties with prominence on other consoles. To them I'd like to say this; "What's wrong with a little bridge-building?"
I dont think Minecraft has a large history with nintendo, but I know it has been on Nintendo. And both Microsoft and Nintendo have come out saying Minecraft was the main reason they started working together, ultimately opening talks for Banjo. I am not sure what they mean by "shill picks" when Minecraft does not really need help selling. Also, I see a catch-22. They hare it when they dont add 3rd parties, but then get mad when they do. Never can win.

I have Hyrule Warriors and my Wii U chilling in the attic somewhere. Really need to pick it up again, I never actually finished it because my god that difficulty spike was horrible.
WII U version is so inbalanced with grinding. that is one thing they fixed in the Switch port. (which I would recommend getting if you REALLY like the game. it has all content from the 3DS version also and it really feels like a better game.) Also, sequel soon. Yay.

It primarily has to do with the narcissistic notion of self entitlement. Which usually stems from their own internal inadequcies and insecurities, as they expect others to give them what they want and leave out what they don't. They set up an illusion of how things should be, and when reality goes against this predetermined illusion their ego takes over to express their displeasure of this 'betrayal.'
Very..cold way of looking at it, but it is definitely a factor I think. I am just surprised that people hold a grudge with it also. I still see so much Terry hate. Its been a year now. Lets enjoy the game.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
But if he's part of the majority on not having much history on Nintendo systems, why is everyone mad? That certainly didn't happen with Joker or Banjo, who has had practically no Nintendo presence in the last few years until their announcements no? And even then Minecraft has been ported to at least 3 Nintendo consoles(Wii U, Switch, 3ds) so I dunno where you're getting "limited" history from, when Minecraft has been ported to the more recent Nintendo consoles.
Take a look-see at the link, and look down in the comments. You'll see the salt firsthand.

D

Deleted member

Take a look-see at the link, and look down in the comments. You'll see the salt firsthand.
Yeah I see the salt. But aside from a few obvious sarcastic pieces it looks most people seem to be mad because it isn't (insert favorite here) not necessarily just because Minecraft has no presence on Nintendo consoles. Didn't go too deep for somewhat obvious reasons but that looks to be the gist.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
No Master Chief costume is very surprising.

Makes me wonder if this is seemingly the last DLC pass why not go all in and add Chief as a costume to complete Microsoft representation.

This is a big tinfoil hat theory but I wonder if those extra 4 slots we still have in the files will actually get filled and maybe just be single releases rather then a pass. Perhaps Chief could show up there but that’s just a theory[insert meme here]

D

Deleted member

No Master Chief costume is very surprising.

Makes me wonder if this is seemingly the last DLC pass why not go all in and add Chief as a costume to complete Microsoft representation.

This is a big tinfoil hat theory but I wonder if those extra 4 slots we still have in the files will actually get filled and maybe just be single releases rather then a pass. Perhaps Chief could show up there but that’s just a theory[insert meme here]
wouldn't surprise me if those last 4 slots are wildcard slots for post pass stuff if the team wants to do anything after the pass, ala Smash 4 where they just randomly dropped DLC characters whenever they wanted. Much easier to code a single character at a time rather than work on multiple in a pass format.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Yeah I see the salt. But aside from a few obvious sarcastic pieces it looks most people seem to be mad because it isn't (insert favorite here) not necessarily just because Minecraft has no presence on Nintendo consoles. Didn't go too deep for somewhat obvious reasons but that looks to be the gist.
I think I really need to lay back on the forum weapons...

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
That's a bit cold and blunt but I see what you mean but honestly the best way to judge is by seeing how they react to a character announced if it's someone they didn't want.
If they rant on and attack others then they are a man-child who shouldn't be on the internet and taking a course in common sense.

If they are like "huh" but looks for the good in it then that's at least measured and mature which was mine with Steve.

And at the end of the day, we can't do anything about it. "The die has been cast" to use the Roman saying (which I've been reading a lot of today for some reason).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom