• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Seeing WALL-E in so many people's lists is putting a smile on my face. Probably the one movie I'm most proud to have seen during it's theatrical run. Hard to believe it's been nearly 13 years already

Tfw people born the year WALL-E released will be teenagers starting next year and thus be old enough to join this site :oldsnake:
I remember watching LOTR in theatres back in the day, it was like a groundbreaking phenomenon at the time. People who were born at that time are going to be old enough to legally drink (in my country) in a couple of months.

:super old snake:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I had a Wall-E toy, too, as well as the PS2 game.

Those are gone now, too :I
I remember the WALL-E video game being pretty decent for a licensed game. At least the Wii version was.

The free for all battle mode in particular was fun and chaotic. Fond memories of that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I remember watching LOTR in theatres back in the day, it was like a groundbreaking phenomenon at the time. People who were born at that time are going to be old enough to legally drink (in my country) in a couple of months.

:super old snake:
I was not born when The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers was released.

Edit: Bad wording, my bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Also my favorite movie is How to Train your Dragon it’s an example of near perfect filmmaking and makes me cry from nostalgia, good night.
A year ago or so, I think it was you that motivated me to watch the How to Train your Dragon trilogy, and it was fantastic! Toothless is adorable.

Good night!
Fellowship was released in 2001. Two Towers was the second of the trilogy released a year later.
I know, bad wording on my part. I was born in 2003.

D

Deleted member

Y’know how they add extra stuff to the game when a dlc character drops?

Yeah I want spirit descriptions.
Yes please. That's like the one thing I miss about losing trophies in favor of Spirits.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Incredibles, that was a nice movie.

Syndrome's death is quite dark for a Disney movie. NO CAPES!
I still remember going on the Brawl Dojo and freaking out when they decided to add Wall-E to Smash.

I found this really funny.

D

Deleted member

Y'know..what with the Partner Showcase tomorrow and the rumored Monster Hunter game that's been going around, I'm debating whether or not I wanna bet on seeing that Monster Hunter game tomorrow, with my profile pic or even my username as the cost(because of course tomorrow is the day I can change my name again :secretkpop: )

But on the other hand, considering how shaky partner directs have been thus far, for all we know it could literally just be 3 under-the-radar games like the first one, so I dunno if it would be worth it or no.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Toy Story was the first movie I really started to obsess over. There's this story my mom tells everyone to this day that when I was 4 or 5 (basically right after the movie came out) I wanted a giant toy of Woody so I ran up to my mom and yelled, and I quote, "Mom! For Christmas, I want a big Woody! :yoshi:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I like Ratatouille that is a good movie
I like Up and Inside Out as well, really can’t recall a Pixar movie I didn’t like. Well I guess Cars was kind of meh. Not bad just not that memorable to me but other than that they’re all good.
662FEC17-00D2-47DC-863E-59443D104F19.png

I am king fool how could I forget Up and Inside Out

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
It's pretty hard for me to settle on my definitive #1 Pixar movie because a lot of them are masterpieces.

WALL-E, Toy Story, Monster's Inc, Up, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo; you can't really go wrong with any of these, IMO.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Speaking of Incredibles, that was a nice movie.

Syndrome's death is quite dark for a Disney movie. NO CAPES!
Idk... Disney has it's fair share of dark villian deaths

Oliver & Company and Tarzan in particular both come to mind for me.

The former's villian gets hit by a subway train, which felt very out of tone in comparison to the rest of the movie

Abd the latter's ends up entangled in vines to the point he accidentally hangs himself. The best part about that one is that you can the shadow of his dangling body in a flash of lightning for a quick second. Not sure how that got pass the censors lol

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Toy Story was the first movie I really started to obsess over. There's this story my mom tells everyone to this day that when I was 4 or 5 (basically right after the movie came out) I wanted a giant toy of Woody so I ran up to my mom and yelled, and I quote, "Mom! For Christmas, I want a big Woody! :yoshi:
DE67A97B-1617-4E33-AC99-EB07D6986B35.jpeg

The innocence of a child...

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
How To Train Your Dragon is by far my favourite animated film, the whole trilogy is solid. I got into it late mainly because I was put off by the title thinking it might've been too silly of a film but it was such a grand experience of a movie.

FTR my favourite Pixar film is The Incredibles...still haven't gotten around to watching The Incredibles 2 despite it being one of my most anticipated films. So I'll have to get around to that at some point. Lately I haven't had much interest in watching movies or TV all that much.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Toy Story was the first movie I ever saw in theaters.
The Jurassic Park films were the first PG-13 movies I ever saw.
Kung Fu Panda reignited my love for animated movies, cartoons, and anime.
Edge of Tomorrow is responsible for my username here on Smashboards.

D

Deleted member

Idk... Disney has it's fair share of dark villian deaths

Oliver & Company and Tarzan in particular both come to mind for me.

The former's villian gets hit by a subway train, which felt very out of tone in comparison to the rest of the movie

Abd the latter's ends up entangled in vines to points he accidentally hangs himself. The best part about that one is that you can the shadow of his dangling body in a flash of lightning for a quick second. Not sure how that got pass the censors lol
(Incredibles Spoilers too)
Yes, I am aware those are dark deaths, but getting chopped by a propeller is pretty dang dark. To be fair, it does have its fair share of dark villain deaths, I see your point.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Y'know..what with the Partner Showcase tomorrow and the rumored Monster Hunter game that's been going around, I'm debating whether or not I wanna bet on seeing that Monster Hunter game tomorrow, with my profile pic or even my username as the cost(because of course tomorrow is the day I can change my name again :secretkpop: )

But on the other hand, considering how shaky partner directs have been thus far, for all we know it could literally just be 3 under-the-radar games like the first one, so I dunno if it would be worth it or no.
Are you for Monster Hunter showing up tomorrow or no?

D

Deleted member

I'm not super big into movies but I've watched a decent amount of Pixar/Disney stuff... none of them have really stuck into my head(mostly because I literally have only seen Toy Story 4 and everything else was when I was a smol lad) but overall I think Toy Story resonates with me the most. Cars is cool too but the second movie... it hasn't really aged well, that's for sure.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
This may be a bit of a hot take, I tend to prefer my movies animated over live action

You can do a lot more in comparison because you're no longer restricted to reality, and thus make more outlandish concepts that probably wouldn't work as well in live action. Most of the recent Disney remakes pretty much cemented this for me.

Also the time and effort that goes into them in comparison is pretty staggering. The average live action film can take about 2 years or so to make. In comparison, animated ones usually take about 4 or more

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also the time and effort that goes into them in comparison is pretty staggering. The average live action film can take about 2 years or so to make. In comparison, animated ones can take 4 or more
I see.

Didn't Avatar take a decade to make?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
This may be a bit of a hot take, I tend to prefer my movies animated over live action

You can do a lot more in comparison because you're no longer restricted to reality, and thus make more outlandish concepts that probably wouldn't work as well in live action. Most of the recent Disney remakes pretty much cemented this for me.

Also the time and effort that goes into them in comparison is pretty staggering. The average live action film can take about 2 years or so to make. In comparison, animated ones usually take about 4 or more
Spiderverse is one of my favorite movies ever and it made me realize as much as I love Tom Holland Spider-Man, I really, really want more good animated Spider-Man content.

D

Deleted member

Well that's just James Cameron for ya, haha

And tbf that movie was also very lenient on animation itself
I believe Spider-Verse took a while to be animated too, like a decade as well. Correct me if I am wrong.

Either way, I see your point!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Animation is something I've been fond of all my life, but I do love me a huge number of live-action movies as well.

Of course, while I appreciate elements from all kinds of films and genres, I'll always remember the one single, specific film that means more to me than any other.

This phenomenal film, this work of art, right here, will always hold a special place in my heart as my most beloved film of all time.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Spiderverse is one of my favorite movies ever and it made me realize as much as I love Tom Holland Spider-Man, I really, really want more good animated Spider-Man content.
hell I want more awesome animated Spider-Man content that doesn't get cancelled (looking at you Spectacular, 94, and MTV series)

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

There's room for both tbh, some movies can't be as impactful or powerful animated, but some movies can't be as coherent nor fluid in live action.

The issue is that the studios don't realize that, so it's one way or another.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Live action movies done right are something to really behold! Take Alien for example, it wouldn't have nearly as much impact as it did if it were a cartoon. A movIe that was WAAAY ahead of its time and still stands up to todays standards, despite coming out decades ago. Same can be said for some of the even bigger film franchises like Star Wars and LotR.

Animated films do have a certain charm for sure, but I notice a very large number of these films will often rely on this charm, while everything else about the film, while it may not be terrible per se, won't be anything special. Early Pixar and Dreamworks films were well ahead of their time but now I do notice a saturation of these films were it gets to the point it almost seems pointless to make this film animated.

That said each have their own pros and cons some films work better as one or the other. It all really depends on how the production handles each project and how much they take advantage of what they have available to them.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So this where I make a confession?

I always had a bias against the Disney Princess films because of holdover from young me thinkung that they were too girly for me to enjoy, and eww, girls are icky.

However, I have always thought, and will continue to think, that Princess and the Frog was the best one and it deserved better.

Too bad it lost to Alvin and the Chipmunks.

D

Deleted member

However, I have always thought, and will continue to think, that Princess and the Frog was the best one and it deserved better.

Too bad it lost to Alvin and the Chipmunks.
No, I refuse to accept it lost to Alvin and the Chipmunks. This cannot be!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Oh yeah, the Alvin and the Chipmunks movies... Those were a thing.

And to think I used absolutely adore em lol

By the time the third movie however, I finnaly came to my senses and realized... Yeah these are garbage.

And by the time the fourth released I grew out of and was beyond done with the series. Not to mention it opened the same day as Force Awakens, so pretty much no one saw it lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom