• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I've had a quick glance at the Indie Direct.

I'm so gonna get Spiritfarer at some point. That art style looks amazing.

Outside of that nothing really interested me. People are really hungry for bigger fish.

In other news The Stanley Parable remake got delayed so that's eh.

They committed the immortal sin of acknowledging that games outside Mario and Zelda exist.
There are!?

1597768804764.png

Last edited:

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
The Indie World had some pretty interesting games, though I'm not that big into indies yet so I wasn't exactly hyped. As expected, still no Hollow Knight: Silksong or Super Meat Boy Forever; those games are almost in development hell at this point, which I didn't know was possible for indie games insert completely stale and unfunny Yandere Simulator joke here.

For an extremely specific nitpick, I cringed when the narrator during the Garden Story segment used the word 'wholesome' to describe the game, simply because I absolutely hate that word and how much it has tarnished and arguably ruined the Internet. However, it is a ridiculously specific complaint with the narration, not the games themselves.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The indie presentation is getting dislike bombed.

What did they do this time?
Aside from the people who wanted Zelda or Smash updates in an indie Direct (not sure if those people are trolling or honestly stupid), it seems (going by Reddit, at least) like a lot of people were hoping for an update on Hollow Knight Silksong. I'm sure that fans of other games are in a similar situation.

EDIT: also, people might have been hoping for a Fall Guys port.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Haven't seen the indie direct thing, it's all finished.
Can someone give me a recap of what happened?
A lot of good games shown, though none were indies that had seen much hype before the Direct. Amusing Untitled Goose surprise that lead into a free two player update that will come in September

osby

Smash Obsessed
At this point, it's no wonder that Nintendo acts like their audience is comprised of children because the adult fans are doing a pretty bad job at proving them wrong.

There's having unrealistic expectations and then there is complaining about the lack of big titles in an indie showcase.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Went in not expecting much, came out pleasantly surprised.
Hades looks great! From one of my fav indie devs too. I really enjoyed both Transistor and Bastion, so I am definitely picking this one up!
Two player untitled goose also looks fun. Might try it out.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
At this point, it's no wonder that Nintendo acts like their audience is comprised of children because the adult fans are doing a pretty bad job at proving them wrong.

There's having unrealistic expectations and then there is complaining about the lack of big titles in an indie showcase.
To a degree, that is very ridiculous. But there are bigger indie franchises that could have potentially had something in the showcase. Beyond my personal hopes for Fighting EX Layer, there could have been something for Shovel Knight, Shantae, Cave Story, Meat Boy, Gunvolt 3, Hollow Knight, all sorts of stuff. There wasn't really anything. I don't really care, wasn't expecting really anything. Just trying to show a different point of view.

Also, I think a lot of the disappointment stems from the fact that... well... people don't want an indie presentation. They want that big fat juicy Nintendo direct showing us all the stuff they had planned for this year that they felt we should have gotten in May or in June. People are stir crazy and want to know what Nintendo's been doing and they're tired of these small presentations. It's not that they expected big things out of an indie presentation, it's that they expected for it to not be an indie presentation. Or a mini. Or a third party showcase of previously announced titles.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......

There is a vocal minority there who are whiny about it unfortunately and no offence but what they wanted was like going into a Subway and asking for a Big Mac. Gotta make the most of seeing what is there.

And just to add this as well but people are going to remember that thanks to the pandemic we will be getting more delays in the future, especially games that have stuff like motion capture, music recording and stuff to do still.

D

Deleted member

I still don't get how people haven't given up on the idea of a Smash reveal in a Nindies.

We've already gotten more than 10 Indie presentations, none with Smash.

At this point It just isn't happening.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
There is a vocal minority there who are whiny about it unfortunately and no offence but what they wanted was like going into a Subway and asking for a Big Mac. Gotta make the most of seeing what is there.

And just to add this as well but people are going to remember that thanks to the pandemic we will be getting more delays in the future, especially games that have stuff like motion capture, music recording and stuff to do still.
Except the problem is that they didn't want to go to Subway in the first place, they wanted to go to McDonalds. They've been asking to go to McDonalds for months now but their mom keeps taking them to other places. That's just frustrating. Again. I'm not disappointment with the direct. I'm ambivalent. But people being mad about this is completely understandable and insulting them is just going to make things worse.

osby

Smash Obsessed
To a degree, that is very ridiculous. But there are bigger indie franchises that could have potentially had something in the showcase. Beyond my personal hopes for Fighting EX Layer, there could have been something for Shovel Knight, Shantae, Cave Story, Meat Boy, Gunvolt 3, Hollow Knight, all sorts of stuff. There wasn't really anything. I don't really care, wasn't expecting really anything. Just trying to show a different point of view.

Also, I think a lot of the disappointment stems from the fact that... well... people don't want an indie presentation. They want that big fat juicy Nintendo direct showing us all the stuff they had planned for this year that they felt we should have gotten in May or in June. People are stir crazy and want to know what Nintendo's been doing and they're tired of these small presentations. It's not that they expected big things out of an indie presentation, it's that they expected for it to not be an indie presentation. Or a mini. Or a third party showcase of previously announced titles.
The purpose of indie directs is to give games that fly under most people's rada a chance at marketing themselves. If you enter one expecting only to see the titles you are familiar with, you want to be disappointed.

Also, if people don't want an indie direct, they can just not watch it. Why watch something you know you'll dislike?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The purpose of indie directs is to give games that fly under most people's rada a chance at marketing themselves. If you enter one expecting only to see the titles you are familiar with, you want to be disappointed.

Also, if people don't want an indie direct, they can just not watch it. Why watch something you know you'll dislike?
That doesn't really fix the problem. Because it still exists. They still got something they didn't want instead of something they actually wanted. They're going to be upset. It's completely understandable to be upset with how much Nintendo has been bungling their public relations this year.

D

Deleted member

The indie direct was pleasantly surprising. I dunno if I'll actually pick up any of the games but they all look really cool looking and I applaud the devs for that.

D

Deleted member

I'd much prefer Nintendo spotlight smaller indies who actually need the help with getting their games out there with events like this than only ever exclusively focus on the big names that already have huge established fanbases that'll support them.
Ditto, I'm the kinda guy that loves to dig through the smaller stuff that other people pass on because "it's not (insert favorite game franchise here), it's bad" Indie Directs only just help me find the kinda up and coming stuff I'm looking for :p

I also occasionally dig though the Steam store but uh... yeah that usually doesn't end well.

Last edited by a moderator:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
The dislikes only matched up to 10% of the likes from when I last checked.
Oh, that's good

Best? I mean, I haven't watched the others so I guess I can't comment. But the presentation certainly didn't have much in the way of anything exciting.
I thought the games in this one were better quality than a lot of the games in other indie Directs. That's just my opinion, though. Don't care if others disagree, though I do think it was a solid indie Direct regardless and doesn't deserve hate

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'd much prefer Nintendo spotlight smaller indies who actually need the help with getting their games out there with events like this than only ever exclusively focus on the big names that already have huge established fanbases that'll support them.
That's totally fair. Only one or only the other is a bad thing. Which is what they are doing. This whole year it's only been small stuff. We don't even know what there holiday title is or was supposed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom