• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I do that to try to change things. If I’m not a gadfly about it then my opinions (and the opinions of those who agree with me, statistically they have to exist) continue to go unacknowledged and things just get worse for us. If you don’t disrupt the dominant narrative then you will be dominated.
That’s what I’m saying though, hostile internet posting will not suddenly change things. The majority of gamers enjoy, or are at least ok with, open-world games, meaning the support for the games is there. No developer is going to change course just because one person is really upset online.

If a sizeable amount of other people agree with your opinions, then the numbers will be there anyways to promote the growth of the genres you like. The angry posts won’t change things one way or the other.

Heckling a developer or besmirching a genre is not “disrupting the dominating narrative,” it’s just voicing your personal preference in a way most are not likely to agree with.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I like how there's just that toy of a melted ice cream cone. It's like a prop for a kid to practice crying when they actually drop their ice cream cone.

D

Deleted member

For what it's worth, SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 I respect you. People have been unnecessaringly harsh towards you, calling you closed-minded and all that. That's not a civil discussion, it's just contributing to toxicity. You can have a conversation without insulting someone.

NEVER feel afraid of getting your opinion out there. You are not "entitled" or "biased" like the angry mobs would have you believe. You're you, and it'd be nice if people could treat others with respect and not single others out for what they say. Honestly, we shouldn't even have likes on here. It feels so condescending where someone says something, they get no likes, but someone else basically says they're horrible people and get 10+ likes. That doesn't contribute to discussion at all. It just becomes a shouting match.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
For what it's worth, SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 I respect you. People have been unnecessaringly harsh towards you, calling you closed-minded and all that. That's not a civil discussion, it's just contributing to toxicity.

NEVER feel afraid of getting your opinion out there. You are not "entitled" or "biased" like the angry mobs would have you believe. You're you, and it'd be nice if people could treat others with respect and not single others out for what they say. Honestly, we shouldn't even have likes on here. It feels so condescending where someone says something, they get no likes, but someone else basically says they're horrible people and get 10+ likes. That doesn't contribute to discussion at all. It just becomes a shouting match.
Snake's our friend, but she's also very stubborn.

We love her to pieces, but there's a time and place to be stern with your friends.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Strange things from Japan

Yes, this is a squirt gun in the shape of a baby. If you push the hand, the water comes from it’s...

This was found at a dollar (100 yen) store called Daiso in the toy section.

I gotta stop visiting this thread at night because when it's night even staff members aren't immune to posting cursed stuff, here.

D

Deleted member

Snake's our friend, but she's also very stubborn.

We love her to pieces, but there's a time and place to be stern with your friends.
I get it, no worries. Yes they do seem stubborn, but it's not fair to treat them unfairly because of that. Especially if they're taking meds for something, it just feels wrong, you know?

When they're emotionally vulnerable, it's not the time to be stern. Just be nice to them if you can, respectfully disagree. No need to call them out.

Shroob

Sup?
I get it, no worries. Yes they do seem stubborn, but it's not fair to treat them unfairly because of that. Especially if they're taking meds for something, it just feels wrong, you know?

When they're emotionally vulnerable, it's not the time to be stern.
Tbh, I wouldn't say anyone's being unfair to her, at least from what I see here.

But when it comes to Snake, the thing is? A lot of time, she'll parade her opinion as fact, and a LOT of times, it comes off as flat out bizarre, like, two weeks ago or so, she was saying things like "Difficulty in video games should be considered gambling, and thus illegal", and she wasn't kidding.

When you see stuff like that, you kind of have to realize, we're not being mean, hell, I'd argue that pretty much everyone in this thread loves Snake, she's our friend, but you gotta put your foot down and say "Hey, no, that's dumb."

We've had Snake with us for a long time now, and she's a valued member of the community, but she has very divisive opinions, that she's very stubborn on, so pushback is inevitable. I don't think disagreeing is toxic in the slightest, especially since discussion in this thread is usually VERY civil, but at the same time, when she digs her heels in and refuses to budge, or to even consider seeing things from a different point of view, you can understand people's frustration, no?

Hell, I'd say Snake's a pretty good friend of mine, but at the same time, I'm gonna call her out on bull****. Any good friend worth a damn would.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I finished watching Aquaman with my uncle a hour ago and he liked it. Afterwards I called my friend and we were talking about the Luigi model and all this other beta stuff that's getting dumped and were talking about what we hope to see next from this.

I just noticed: you're from Houston too :0
Howdy
Howdy!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tbh, I wouldn't say anyone's being unfair to her, at least from what I see here.

But when it comes to Snake, the thing is? A lot of time, she'll parade her opinion as fact, and a LOT of times, it comes off as flat out bizarre, like, two weeks ago or so, she was saying things like "Difficulty in video games should be considered gambling, and thus illegal", and she wasn't kidding.

When you see stuff like that, you kind of have to realize, we're not being mean, hell, I'd argue that pretty much everyone in this thread loves Snake, she's our friend, but you gotta put your foot down and say "Hey, no, that's dumb."

We've had Snake with us for a long time now, and she's a valued member of the community, but she has very divisive opinions, that she's very stubborn on, so pushback is inevitable. I don't think disagreeing is toxic in the slightest, especially since discussion in this thread is usually VERY civil, but at the same time, when she digs her heels in and refuses to budge, or to even consider seeing things from a different point of view, you can understand people's frustration, no?

Hell, I'd say Snake's a pretty good friend of mine, but at the same time, I'm gonna call her out on bull****. Any good friend worth a damn would.
I was gonna like your post, but I don't really like the like system to be honest. That said, I do agree with you now you've explained things better. I'm the same way, honestly. Very "intense" on topics like these, my opinions are usually set in stone. I know I came off a bit strong.

I guess I'm just annoyed by those posts with several likes, it just seems unintentionally harsh towards her and anyone else who may be at the brunt of it. It's one of the reasons why I despise Twitter. I just don't like when people put down others for having a different opinion, it's a tribalistic approach to things.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/can-we-have-likes-please.65532/ I think this thread sums it up.
"Upvote systems stifle dissent and discussion and promote bandwagon effects. Being well "liked" doesn't make you right nor your arguments valid -- it just makes you momentarily popular. Leave saying what people want to hear for the demagogues."
You actually remind me a lot of my friends. They're a similar way with me sometimes. Tough love and all that.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
You know what surprises me. A Pokemon and Sonic live action looking pretty good in the hands of Hollywood. I wonder if Japan could have pulled off a similar feat with their own studios?

Shroob

Sup?
I was gonna like your post, but I don't really like the like system to be honest. That said, I do agree with you now you've explained things better. I'm the same way, honestly. Very "intense" on topics like these, my opinions are usually set in stone.

I guess I'm just annoyed by those posts with several likes, it just seems unintentionally harsh towards her and anyone else who may be at the brunt of it. It's one of the reasons I despise Twitter. I don't like when people put down others for having a different opinion, it's a tribalistic approach to things.
The like system is a relic of a bygone system that got nuked ages ago. Tbh, I'm not even sure if it's 'possible' to remove the system entirely possible to shut it off just because of the specific type of board this site is made of.

And again, I don't think anyone's putting her down, but I feel like it's only fair she looks at things from both sides, no? You should be able to point at me and say "Hey, you called the Geno thread bad things", and I admit to it. I take back a lot of what I said after going there and getting a better feel for the place(Though it's still not my cup of tea), but I'm more than willing to say I'm wrong.

But on the flipside of that argument, let's flip this around to the idea of open-world games for the discussion, okay?

Let's say I disliked open world games for this discussion in particular. I vehemently dislike them... but I'll give a few a try to see, and, hey, I may not like 99% of them, but there's one specific one I do like. I may not like open-world games as a whole, but I've at least tried them, and hey, they're not ALL bad, okay?

Snake digs her heels in and "No, if it's open world, it's instantly bad. Only linear games are good." She's not even willing to try to open her mind to both sides of the argument and has closed herself off.

This is the problem. Have you ever talked to a wall? It's very difficult, because the wall isn't going to move. I can talk to a wall all day, but it's going to be right where I left it in the end, and then, what did anyone gain from this? I'm exhausted, and the wall won't change it's opinion, or even give something the benefit of the doubt. It's tiring and frustrating, you know?

D

Deleted member

The like system is a relic of a bygone system that got nuked ages ago. Tbh, I'm not even sure if it's 'possible' to remove the system entirely possible to shut it off just because of the specific type of board this site is made of.

And again, I don't think anyone's putting her down, but I feel like it's only fair she looks at things from both sides, no? You should be able to point at me and say "Hey, you called the Geno thread bad things", and I admit to it. I take back a lot of what I said after going there and getting a better feel for the place(Though it's still not my cup of tea), but I'm more than willing to say I'm wrong.

But on the flipside of that argument, let's flip this around to the idea of open-world games for the discussion, okay?

Let's say I disliked open world games for this discussion in particular. I vehemently dislike them... but I'll give a few a try to see, and, hey, I may not like 99% of them, but there's one specific one I do like. I may not like open-world games as a whole, but I've at least tried them, and hey, they're not ALL bad, okay?

Snake digs her heels in and "No, if it's open world, it's instantly bad. Only linear games are good." She's not even willing to try to open her mind to both sides of the argument and has closed herself off.

This is the problem. Have you ever talked to a wall? It's very difficult, because the wall isn't going to move. I can talk to a wall all day, but it's going to be right where I left it in the end, and then, what did anyone gain from this? I'm exhausted, and the wall won't change it's opinion, or even give something the benefit of the doubt. It's tiring and frustrating, you know?
I see what you mean. I don't think open world games are necessaringly "bad" - heck, games benefit from it like Zelda and IMO Halo - loved Halo 1's non-linear approach. And yeah, it is frustrating. I know several people who are like that, even I'm that when it comes to speculation.

You can't argue with someone who won't listen. When they're stuck in a way of thinking, there's not much you can do to persuade them otherwise.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm probably hella late on this. However, I've been out of the house for 12 hours and took a fat nap for 5, so whatever.

L is Real... was real?

Shroob

Sup?
I see what you mean. I don't think open world games are necessaringly "bad" - heck, games benefit from it like Zelda and IMO Halo - loved Halo 1's non-linear approach. And yeah, it is frustrating. I know several people who are like that, even I'm that when it comes to speculation.

You can't argue with someone who won't listen.
And that's the gist of it.

We love, no, probably adore her, she's a valued member of the community, but at the same time, you're going to have to excuse people when they're trying to help her see things from a new perspective and she digs her heels in.

I think it's a cliche'd thing to say, but "We are simply trying to help". Sticking to what you know is fine, but there's nothing wrong with broadening your horizons either. And hey, if she wants to, she doesn't even have to... but on the flipside, then she really shouldn't piss on things that people DO enjoy just because she doesn't, you know?

D

Deleted member

And that's the gist of it.

We love, no, probably adore her, she's a valued member of the community, but at the same time, you're going to have to excuse people when they're trying to help her see things from a new perspective and she digs her heels in.

I think it's a cliche'd thing to say, but "We are simply trying to help". Sticking to what you know is fine, but there's nothing wrong with broadening your horizons either. And hey, if she wants to, she doesn't even have to... but on the flipside, then she really shouldn't piss on things that people DO enjoy just because she doesn't, you know?
Yeah, 100% agree. Sorry, I don't get into discussion like this all too often so I don't exactly know what else to say. Just wanted to point it out, because everyone does deserve a chance. But then again there's not much you can do if they're set on something.

I'm probably hella late on this. However, I've been out of the house for 12 hours and took a fat nap for 5, so whatever.

L is Real... was real?
Wow, you missed a lot. TLDR is basically.. yeah. Luigi was hidden away. Modders managed to recreate him with the model data they found.

Also apparently there's a new 3GB dump.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wow, you missed a lot. TLDR is basically.. yeah. Luigi was hidden away. Modders managed to recreate him with the model data they found.
Why give a TLDR? If I've seen that tweet, surely I've already seen everything else by this point.

Shroob

Sup?
Why give a TLDR? If I've seen that tweet, surely I've already seen everything else by this point.
Ya want to have your mind blown more?

2+4+0+1 = 7
24+01=25

July(7th month), 25(th day)

Nostradamus was hiding in Super Mario 64.

D

Deleted member

Oh. Well sometimes people just skim through tweets, or read something and go to message boards or Discord etc to be like "hey, what I'd miss." Sorry.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

2+4+0+1 = 7
24+01=25

Everything adding up just makes it funnier.

Oh. Well sometimes people just skim through tweets, or read something and go to message boards or Discord etc to be like "hey, what I'd miss." Sorry.
I mean Luigi's unseen **** getting in is pretty interesting. I don't know how bad Nintendo's taking this though.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Nostradamus saw many things

The rise and fall of kingdoms
The end of the world
L being real

All the important stuff.
You know why Nostradamus' mother named him Nostradamus? Because she foresaw he would be a leaker that would leak the future of humanity. Damus referencing a dam that's about to flood and leak everything.

D

Deleted member

For a Japanese company, Nintendo sure likes to preserve what they made. In the 90s, a lot of companies just threw out what they had made over time because they needed the space for other projects.

Looking at you, Sonic 1 (Sega) and FF8 (Square). I'm really bummed about Sonic 1, it looked so different compared to the retail release.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For a Japanese company, Nintendo sure likes to preserve what they made. In the 90s, a lot of companies just threw out what they had made over time because they needed the space for other projects.

Looking at you, Sonic 1 (Sega) and FF8 (Square). I'm really bummed about Sonic 1, it looked so different compared to the retail release.
That's one of the things I love about Nintendo is that they truly care about their creations and their fans unlike some companies looking at you Konami.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

2+4+0+1 = 7
24+01=25

Makes me wonder how long some of this info was actually known.

Maybe the timing of the discovery was near-perfect and they just held out on us to ensure the timing would be perfect.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Makes me wonder how long some of this info was actually known.

Maybe the timing of the discovery was near-perfect and they just held out on us to ensure the timing would be perfect.
It's cool and funny as that is, I highly doubt this. The thought someone had this stuff on their computer for years only to dump it now to look like a prophecy is too far fetched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom