• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Can someone explain to me why Last of Us 2 is so controversial?
There's two sides to the controversy: the ardent defenders and the ardent attackers.

There are people attacking the game for a handful of reasons:

A) Dislike for the game's story. My younger brother, who adores the first The Last of Us, played through it about a dozen times, and has been practically counting the days for the sequel, was disappointed with the sequel's story. He didn't even disagree with certain decisions, just felt that the execution was poor. This blew up when a bunch of the game's cutscenes were leaked last month. The game can best be described as heavily divisive. Some people like the story, some people hate it. And for a narrative-focused game, that's a big deal. The game's story is very different from the first one in style and tone, and does a lot of things that rubbed people the wrong way. But the game's director, Neil Druckmann, outright said that he would rather the game piss off people than make people feel indifferent, which to me is always the most pretentious thing someone can say to justify or deflect criticism of their work.

B) Naughty Dog's history of crunch culture. There was an article/expose a few months ago about it, which estimated that 16-70% of the team that worked on Uncharted 4, which came out four years ago, are no longer at the company, and mainly because Naughty Dog, like most AAA developers, has really bad crunch, but ND seems to suffer from it more than average. So on top of the game being divisive with a director who knowingly made it to piss off a large demographic of the fanbase, you have the fact that the team was worked to the bone in order to make it. Druckmann has been rather cavalier about the crunch issue, and there's even an easter egg in the game with a trading card based on him that can be interpreted in some really negative ways about this issue in particular.

C) Political reasons. You have prejudiced people complaining about either the emphasis on women in the game and/or the emphasis on the LGBT stuff in the game, just because it is there. However, you also have people on the other side of the fence complaining that the game is guilty of tokenism and that Naughty Dog/Sony and the game's defenders are using LGBT characters to cover up genuine criticisms for the game, which is something that happens all too often in these situations. Essentially, criticisms like "I don't think these characters are written well" or "I don't think this story is written well" can be deflected with "You're just prejudiced" or some such. It's arguably using representation as a shield for bad writing.

That's about all that can be plainly said about the overall controversy. The whole thing is an absolute mess where it's practically impossible for genuine discussion about the game to be had underneath two sides of jerks that a lot of people in-between use to generalize the game's defenders or detractors. People who genuinely like the story can't have a voice because they'll be grouped with the people defending the game like maniacs, and the people with valid criticisms aren't taken seriously because they're grouped with the people attacking the game for stupid reasons.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There's also the fact.

How they pretty much **** on Joel, having died easily.

Man is distrusting of strangers and yet trusted Abby and these people and had him die when he least expected it. We're talking about an guy who killed plenty of Firefly miltia to save Ellie. Are you ******* kidding me?

2013 Joel: I lost my daughter and watch her die in front of me and had to fight for survival for 20+ years.

2020 Joel: I'm am a stupid old man who trust random strangers and gets my knee caps busted with shotgun and then gets my skull busted open with a golf club by a luchador.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There's also the other fact that...

After killing tons of people chasing Abby, having two of her fingers bit off among other stuff that happens that Ellie decides to let the girl who killed Joel live cause of a sudden flashback to Joel on guitar.

Yeah its uh, little late for not killing there and being "You're not them" or "You're no better".

D

Deleted member

Damn, someone please tell me the Spongebob Rehydrated review from Gamespot is a joke. Like a 2/10? And then there's this highlight:
Combat interactions can feel incredibly unfair, and death is unforgiving in the worst way
The worst way? Respawning at a checkpoint after death is "the worst way"? Do we really need a "Journalist" difficulty mode nowadays? That's low, even for them.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To repeat myself
A nazi who got permabanned recently has a grudge with Rayman fans since one clapped back hard when the nazi went "lol the Rayman twitter guy hates me because I don't like Rayman" and the dude not only tweeted multiple examples of the guy being an awful person and went "No I hate you because you're an awful person". Dude even made one of the most blatant alt accounts today

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
A nazi who got permabanned recently has a grudge with Rayman fans since one clapped back hard when the nazi went "lol the Rayman twitter guy hates me because I don't like Rayman" and the dude not only tweeted multiple examples of the guy being an awful person and went "No I hate you because you're an awful person". Dude even made one of the most blatant alt accounts today
You mean an actual, literal Nazi? That doesn't sound good.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Okay, so there were many answers to this question, but this is one I didn't expect.
Yup. A "Slavery was the best thing to happen to black people" white supremacist worshipping nazi
So is it safe to say that the BLM post was probably the tipping point?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I’m off work and had a pretty bad day today except for one part this morning where a block of my route in the downtown area was covered with brand new teddy bears for some reason that we don’t know but I managed to rescue three of them, I’ll post a pic when I get them washed.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Guilty since I'm the Rayman Twitter guy lol

Did he really get permabanned and then made an alt account!?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Damn, someone please tell me the Spongebob Rehydrated review from Gamespot is a joke. Like a 2/10? And then there's this highlight:
The worst way? Respawning at a checkpoint after death is "the worst way"? Do we really need a "Journalist" difficulty mode nowadays? That's low, even for them.
"I Don't Know How to Play Classic 3D Platformers: The Review."

I can practically hear my generation who grew up with the original game collectively laughing over this sad review.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I’m off work and had a pretty bad day today except for one part this morning where a block of my route in the downtown area was covered with brand new teddy bears for some reason that we don’t know but I managed to rescue three of them, I’ll post a pic when I get them washed.
I think that's a thing to entertain kids, putting teddy bears at the windows so kids can count them when walking around the block

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Scott should really stop working with Funko, I felt like they caused more problems than anything else.

Also, I really want to see those designs in actions now.
Okay, site seems good for now I think.

Yeah I think he should cut ties with em'. Scott said "Hey everyone, try not to let any of this bother you too much. Things will be happening very, very differently going forward" so maybe he could do so, I dunno.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Yeah lmao. His alt's name is veeeery similar to his twitter account's name and he not only makes the same kind of posts but he has the same typing habits too
L
M
A
O

Imagine being so toxic you get banned from any place you touch

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I think that's a thing to entertain kids, putting teddy bears at the windows so kids can count them when walking around the block
They were all over the place, on benches, tables, parking meters, mailboxes, some in bushes, and most of them were gone by the time I came back to that area which was like two hours later.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
L
M
A
O

Imagine being so toxic you get banned from any place you touch
I remember this one Sonic fan named Nicochi/TruthWarriorX, who did not like anything Modern Sonic and praised Classic Sonic to the bone. He thought modern Sonic was bad for the series, as he said on DeviantArt, some years ago, and would make rants against Modern Sonic, blocking anyone who disagreed with him. When he came to this forum I used to, among other Sonic forums, he proved to be a pathetic, lousy debater who should his true colors of immaturity. What a fool.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Ok but it gets better. The guy's so infamous for being a ****ing loon that even 4chan hates him
Bruh...... You're basically the reject of the world if 4chan hates you and won't accept you...

Deserves it though for all the horrible anti trans and racists things he's said

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
So a regressionist?

Was probably dropped as a kid. Hundreds of times to become that much of an ass.

And hating everything. Like man, I've been watching some freakouts against people of colour and sexuality recently and then are wrecked to the head.

What are they so afraid of? You're alive and live in a first world country. All of us have a better hand than billions of people technological wise if you use a computer.

And also crashing a forum about games is pretty petty to say the least.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Really? Please tell me more. Really! Tell me!
To make a long story short, it turns out one prominent user was a pedo, and then it turns out there was a whole grooming/harassment ring on the down low that got exposed hard. Needless to say, it was not pretty and the big threads got shut down because of it. A lot of things on this site had to change because of it, some for the better, some for the worse.

Come to think of it, I think it's been a full year since that happened.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
To make a long story short, it turns out one prominent user was a pedo, and then it turns out there was a whole grooming/harassment ring on the down low that got exposed hard. Needless to say, it was not pretty and the big threads got shut down because of it. A lot of things on this site had to change because of it, some for the better, some for the worse.

Come to think of it, I think it's been a full year since that happened.
Oh, you mean the one guy who faked his death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom