• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I swear someone here posted an Avatar fighting game roster before and included Dream Momo as a fighter.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
Like Golden Eye Oddjob. No one wants that.

Though I think that would meta breaking would go to Ty Lee just racking up combos and ticking people off online.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Like Golden Eye Oddjob. No one wants that.

Though I think that would meta breaking would go to Ty Lee just racking up combos and ticking people off online.
Fair. But she's too important of a character to not include.

She wouldn't be able to block chi for long. Her damage output wouldn't be great either.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Z25 Z25 @TheMightyP

They found Mega Stone sprites and party sprites for Mega Evolution added in the Isle of Armor patch.... Gen 8's metagame is going to be in absolute shambles come Crown Tundra rofl.
Dynamaxing I find to be lacking in hype and flawed in it's implementation, so I'd welcome Mega Evolution to return. That said, I think it'd be interesting if Game Freak made different rule sets to match up with the differing mechanics of the past three gens rather than just VGC for most everything.

As someone who's purely a spectator, Gen 8 hasn't caught my eye as much as Gen 6 or 7 did. I used to binge watch videos from Shofu or PokeaimMD, but I barely do anymore outside of analysis and speculation videos.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
Fair. But she's too important of a character to not include.

She wouldn't be able to block chi for long. Her damage output wouldn't be great either.
I recall Sonic, Fox and Shiek having poor damage output but are easily able to rack up damage making them high tier. If Ty Lee is easily able to jablock people due to her attacks have high hitstun she would be in barred from tournaments.

Shroob

Sup?
Megas kinda screwed the meta so they didn't need to happen to be honest glad they dropped that idea.
Megas didn't screw the meta at all.

Megas made unviable Pokemon actually usable, like Mawile, Sableye or Pinsir actually useable.

Were some WAY overtuned like on-release Kangaskhan, Salamence or Blaziken? Absolutely, but those got banned.

Megas are better designed than Dynamaxing can ever hope to be. I'll gladly take 1 strong Pokemon on my team that has to give up holding a Choice Band/Scarf, compared to a ****ing Dynamaxed Pokemon that gets free stat boosts by just attacking and DOUBLE its hp by just clicking a button, ON TOP of being allowed to hold whatever item it wants.

There's a reason that Mega Evolution as a concept was never banned, while Dynamaxing was banned from competitive within the first few weeks. It's a busted-ass mechanic.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Cafe was so good. Then it just adds a **** load of RNG based ****.

God damn it. I fell for the ****ing mobile trap.

Edit: I'm not saying it's bad, but god damn, do they just jack up the difficulty.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I was bored and reading twitter replies to re-theming of splash mountain to Princess and the frog, and people that said it was never a problem were countered with it was always a problem.

And like tbh no it wasn’t.
I’ve been to Disney world Quite a lot over the years and I can safely say I never saw complaints that it was racist, nor did I only see whites on it.

And I’ve been on all kinds of Disney topics over the internet and literally never saw complaints until now.

I totally get the point of why people want it changed and it’s fair, but to say it’s been overdue and was always wanted I feel is an invalid statement, especially when most of the people looking to change it probably never heard of song of the south or it’s influence on the ride till now.

I don’t know that’s just my thought but I’m curious what anyone thinks here. Disney has and always will be the company of “just buy and coins product”, there has really never been a cal for changes because their monopoly is just basically accepted.

Last edited:

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
I heard that ride had to due with an infamous song and anyone who knows that song understands why its so controversial. I think it was a good idea to change that song it showed that Disney is owning up to its past and is making changes for the better and for that I respect Disney's decision to striving for making a more inclusive environment and image.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I heard that ride had to due with an infamous song and anyone who knows that song understands why its so controversial. I think it was a good idea to change that song it showed that Disney is owning up to its past and is making changes for the better and for that I respect Disney's decision to striving for making a more inclusive environment and image.
I do agree with this completely although weather Disney did this for the right reasons I’m kinda of skeptical.

They are all about the money and if this was deemed a problem by them it wouldn’t have definitely changed sooner. This just feels like capitalizing on the current climate even if the result is a good thing

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
Money is a good motivator for a business to change and seeing how they were willing to change to widen their demographic market is a good call for their image and bottom line. The more consumers you bring in the better.

Shroob

Sup?
Money is a good motivator for a business to change and seeing how they were willing to change to widen their demographic market is a good call for their image and bottom line. The more consumers you bring in the better.
I think what they're saying is they don't feel like the change is being done out of genuine care for anyone involved other than their pocket books.

If they had made this change outside of the current world events, it'd be one thing, but considering it's Disney, it's hard for it to not feel a slight bit scummy with them just trying to build up their image by saying "Look, we're inclusive!".

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Companies can do things that are both good things to do and good for their image.

Except there's probably been too many asshat companies that the two appear mutually exclusive these days.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
I think what they're saying is they don't feel like the change is being done out of genuine care for anyone involved other than their pocket books.

If they had made this change outside of the current world events, it'd be one thing, but considering it's Disney, it's hard for it to not feel a slight bit scummy with them just trying to build up their image by saying "Look, we're inclusive!".
A lot of things didn't change until people spoke out about it and the companies weighed the risk and went with what was best for their image and bottom line. Does it feel scummy? Yes but the fact that companies are taking action so quickly to correct their image is something that I will commend them for doing. Its better that they are changing now than just paying lip service to the idea.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Companies often do good things for the sake of profit and/or good reputation.

Still, even if its not done with pure intentions, the good thing still happened.

So, I still consider it a win.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm going to miss the iconic briar patch scene. The movie may have had some insensitive implications but the ride had scrubbed those all out and was pretty much just a ride about American folk tales. I can see why it rubbed some people the wrong way, though.

I'm an annual passholder and I'll admit, the ride could use an overhaul for reasons beyond the controversy. It goes a bit quickly and it can be hard to follow all the lyrics. The animitronics are nice but they aren't the fanciest ones in the park right now. And I've had the ride break down on me multiple times. And I suppose it can be confusing for people who aren't familiar with the folk tales its based off of (or you know, the movie you aren't allowed to watch).

I was honestly pretty upset when the replaced DCA's Tower of Terror with that Guardians of the Galaxy version, but after going on it I warmed up to the idea. The old ride was iconic, but the Guardians overlay was actually implemented extremely well and had a ton of charm in its own right.
They should make an Avatar fighting game. It would sell like hotcakes, and we could play as all our favorite benders.

Also, Sokka could get a DLC costume that's the Fire Nation's greatest hero - Wang Fire.
Samurai Appa is a secret character
Are you stealing my ideas?
I swear someone here posted an Avatar fighting game roster before and included Dream Momo as a fighter.
That was me! I think I had general one to two sentence descriptions of their play styles too.

Edit: Found it!
Alright shoot here's my Avatar fighting game fan roster 'cause I'm bored and need to get my mind off things. I'm also including general play style archetypes because I'm a nerd.

I know a couple of you are into this fan roster stuff.
Aang (Balanced) Agile and uses mostly air bending but has a lot of tricks up his sleeve)
Sokka (Balanced) Zones with his boomerang but otherwise fights with his space sword)
Katara (Zoner) Fights largely at mid range with her water whip.
Toph (Grappler) Throws slow but powerful boulders as projectiles, but aside from that mostly fights up close. Has a command grab where she encases her body in stone before grabbing and throwing her opponent.
Zuko (Rushdown) Wields two swords alongside his fire bending high damage output. Has a Blue Spirit alt.
Iroh (Grappler) Has a special where he breaths fire, but aside from that doesn't use any bending.
Azula (Balanced) Using lighting and fire balls to fight at a long range while also having good mobility and combos.
Tai Lee (Rushdown) Great mobility and combos, but low damage and range.
Mai (Zoner) Throws knives for fast projectiles that can lead into combos, but has low damage output otherwise.
Suki (Balanced) Fights up close with her two fans, sword and even some hand-to-hand grappling.
Jet (Grappler) Has very good mobility for a grappler. Has a command grab using his two hooks to grab and throw his opponent.
Ozai (Boss/"Akuma") Excels at all style of play, but when unlocked as a playable character has low HP for balance reasons.

Dream Momo (Joke character) Fights with a katana and has dream Appa appear for certain attacks.

Hey and it's got a near perfect male/female split to. Didn't even think of that when I made it. Nice.

Anyway hypothetical Zuko main gang rise up.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Splash Mountain getting the boot really sucks, but at the end of the day I don’t care all too much if it’s altered. I never had a connection with it. Regardless, a ride about a film in Louisiana being in Frontier Land just confuses me.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Splash Mountain getting the boot really sucks, but at the end of the day I don’t care all too much if it’s altered. I never had a connection with it. Regardless, a ride about a film in Louisiana being in Frontier Land just confuses me.
The first large land purchase by the US which was the whole point of Louis & Clark's expedition is literally called the "Louisiana Purchase" :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

It’s a shame to see Splash Mountain go, but honestly? I both understand and do not understand why it’s going. On one hand, Splash Mountain is based off one of the folktales in that movie with literally zero racism involved. On the other hand, it is inspired by a racist movie, so while the the ride itself has nothing to do with racism, it could remind people of the movie. (I find that a bit hard to say, though, seeing as 9/10 people even know what the original movie is, but I guess enough people did to warrant a petition.) Honestly, though, at the end of the day, I feel like whether or not the chance was needed really just differs from person to person.

Honestly, in my opinion, if it was not an issue when it first debuted, (which was some time ago,) I don’t know why the people who feel the ride is racist are only feeling that this is an issue now. Should it have now been an issue all those years ago, then? Either way, I think Disney could’ve kept it. The 20,000 people who signed the petition were a loud minority, and really, lets be honest, Disney made the change for good publicity, so if they really wanted to save some dough, I think they could’ve kept the original.

That being said, a Princess and The Frog themed ride has potential, but I honestly doubt it’s going to go over well, given Disney’s past rethemes and the popularity of Princess and The Frog paling in comparison to other movies.

So, is Taylor butthurt that Splash Mountain is going? You bet! lol

Jokes aside, TL;DR: Sad to see it go, but I understand the decision, hopefully the new ride will be good.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
People know what the Song is about, even though Disney has tried hard to crib sells of South of the South it doesn't stop people from owning a copy of it or uploading it online. The people who hate the change know full well what the Song means and they are the ones making the loudest fuss about it. Same thing with Aunt Jermina though Quaker tried their best to clean her image away from its origin it still was deemed very offensive and thus had to be changed.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It's just gonna be a reskin correct? Honestly I'm perfectly fine with that.

The highlight of the attraction was definitely the ride itself with the drops and stuff. The song of the south stuff felt little more of an afterthought. If they keep the layout and it's just a retheme I'm all on board.

Honestly I'm just shocked they didn't go forward with this any sooner. Disney's banned Song of the South from rerelease since the 80s so the fact the they decided to open a ride based on it shortly after was... an odd choice to say the least

D

Deleted member

It's just gonna be a reskin correct? Honestly I'm perfectly fine with that.

The highlight of the attraction was definitely the ride itself with the drops and stuff. The song of the south stuff felt little more of an afterthought. If they keep the layout and it's just a retheme I'm all on board.

Honestly I'm just shocked they didn't go forward with this any sooner. Disney's banned Song of the South from rerelease since the 80s so the fact the they decided to open a ride based on it shortly after was... an odd choice to say the least
Yep. Or, a “re-theme,” as they call it. So same ride layout and everything, different look and different story.

And yeah, definitely an odd choice. One of the reasons, (or so I’ve heard,) is that they needed a place to put all the animatronics from American Sings, (which had recently closed down,) so as a result of that, they created a ride based off a movie where the art director was the same art director for America Sings, so the animatronics would not feel out of place.

It is true that a LOT, (and by a lot i mean literally almost all) of Splash Mountain animatronics are from America Sings in one form or another, (most are just the same characters with different clothes, B’rer Rabbit and B’rer Fox are recycled endos, and one version of B’rer Rabbit is literally just a repainted rabbit from America Sings,) and it is true that the art director for Song of The South and America Sings is the same person, but gotta say, I find it odd that Disney would build an attraction based on a racist movie just so they can put animatronics to use. So, honestly? I find that a hard theory to buy. Definitely an odd decision on Disney’s part.

Either way, if it’s gotta go, it’s gotta go. I just hope the new ride can bring something fun to the table.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
To some people the Song of the South doesn't carry much meaning but to the African American community that song is just a drop in the bucket of a long history of being humiliated by Hollywood. Its to remind African Americans about that past just like those monuments they are dark reminders of the past. To those who understand the history of stereotyping in Film and Animation they would know why people take issue with that song and it ruins the experience for a lot of people especially the older generation who had to deal with it every day.

D

Deleted member

DDoS? I dunno about that.

Is everything screwed up? You bet.

My entire page is out of wack right now. lol

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
So, how're we doing after the DDoS attack?

EDIT: Seems like the site is still going through some loading mishaps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom