• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Koopalings were a good choice for Mario Kart and I will continue to stand by that.

I don't want to go back to a roster without :ultroy2:.
You gotta admit it makes 8's roster look a bit samey, Wii has less characters yet it feels like there's more variety with what was included.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Mario Kart Wii also lacked playable Shy Guy which was disappointing.

Shroob

Sup?
8's Roster vs Wii's Roster is an interesting debate.

8's Roster is big, but at the end of the day, a lot of the characters are alts of one another, or incredibly close in body shape(See, Koopalings). I don't dislike the Koopalings at all, but it's understandable how seeing all 7 of them + Bowser Jr. could make a roster seem a bit bloated. That, and it cut a LOT of long time characters like Birdo, Diddy, etc.

Likewise, MKwii's Roster is a lot smaller but, there really isn't any 'filler' characters besides baby Peach and Dasiy, arguably Dry Bowser as well. The roster feels a lot more encompassing of the Mario series as a whole, imo at least.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

8's Roster is big, but at the end of the day, a lot of the characters are alts of one another, or incredibly close in body shape(See, Koopalings). I don't dislike the Koopalings at all, but it's understandable how seeing all 7 of them + Bowser Jr. could make a roster seem a bit bloated. That, and it cut a LOT of long time characters like Birdo, Diddy, etc.

Likewise, MKwii's Roster is a lot smaller but, there really isn't any 'filler' characters besides baby Peach and Dasiy, arguably Dry Bowser as well. The roster feels a lot more encompassing of the Mario series as a whole, imo at least.
Don't you dare call Dry Bowser "filler". He is my Wii main.

Shroob

Sup?
Don't you dare call Dry Bowser "filler". He is my Wii main.
Obviously by that, I meant "Alt skin character".

I'd put the baby bros and Dry Bones in there as well, but by that point, both had already been in a prior game.

And then Baby Rosalina happened and we strayed too far away from God's grace.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Was it ever clarified if it was the Kamek, or just the general Magikoopa? Considering how Mario Kart works, it could go either way.
Idk if anything said it was Kamek or just a regular magikoopa, I just like to assume it was him (though I think they say Kamek in videos about it, but they could also be assuming tbh).

I think it makes sense, though; in 64, none of the characters were generic unless you count Toad (though I believe he’s the main Toad), and Kamek is the only magikoopa who ever has a bigger/major role besides Kammy Koopa and that one boss in Galaxy.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Apologies to interrupt the Mario Kart talk, but I created another set of SMB1 sprites, this set being the three Birdos from SMB2 (complete with an egg projectile!).
smb1_birdos.png

Unlike the princesses, which were edits of Peach's SMB1 sprite (as well as the Peach costume from Mario Maker 1), these gals were made entirely from scratch, with the only thing taken from other sprites being the color palettes. The same applied to the Wart I posted a while back, as you can see here.
smb1_wart.png

I'm kind of curious as to whether or not I should make these into full sheets, because to be frankly honest, this is all spawning from potential stuff I want to see in Mario Maker 3. Any good advice to give or characters to recommend?
Also, in case you were wondering, I included the hard blocks to help me with scaling. It actually helps out immensely when you've got some sort of unit of measurement.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Idk if anything said it was Kamek or just a regular magikoopa, I just like to assume it was him (though I think they say Kamek in videos about it, but they could also be assuming tbh).

I think it makes sense, though; in 64, none of the characters were generic unless you count Toad (though I believe he’s the main Toad), and Kamek is the only magikoopa who ever has a bigger/major role besides Kammy Koopa and that one boss in Galaxy.
Well, Koopa Troopa was in the last game, so he might've replaced it, so it's not too clear either way.

In fact, isn't Mario Kart 64 the only one without a generic character? I mean, yes, Yoshi/Toad kind of can be one, but they also have specific identities.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Well, Koopa Troopa was in the last game, so he might've replaced it, so it's not too clear either way.

In fact, isn't Mario Kart 64 the only one without a generic character? I mean, yes, Yoshi/Toad kind of can be one, but they also have specific identities.
Super Circuit had the same roster as 64, unless you count the coloured Yoshis in multiplayer.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

What we really need is a Mario kart game with the roster size that Mario Sluggers had and some other Nintendo characters.

Then everyone would literally be in it and I’d be hyped for a lot of the roster

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Here's some psychology for ya. How mad would ya be if all the Yoshi and Shy Guy colors (and Inkling and Gold Mario for that matter) had their own slots? :yoshi:

Shroob

Sup?
people be trying to cancel cactuar after they just found out he used to be filthy funguar smh
"Hey Tonberry, there's these weird people on the internet, and they say they wanna cancel me!"

Only boomers will get it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Man Pokemon Let's Go is one of the hardest Pokemon games I've played lol. Lt Surge just messed up my Onyx with Double Kick.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
There's a giant difference between "NUuuuuuuuuuuuu characters have to be on Nintendo platforms because I SAID SO!"

and

Sakurai literally poking fun at people asking for characters like Spongebob and Goku

The whole "No non-gaming characters" isn't a fan rule, it's straight from the horse's mouth.
So was “Ridley is too big”

Shroob

Sup?
Ridley was too big was a fan rule mixed with Sakurai being unsure about how he'd work being shrunk down.

With the latter, it was filled with a lot of "I don't know" and "I'm unsure". Sakurai wanted to remain true to Ridley as a character, but he didn't know 'how' to at that moment in time.

He figured it out, yes, but there's still a major difference between:

"
Sakurai said:
Instead of going through a lot of very convoluted hocus-pocus to make Ridley a fighter, I figured it’d be better to keep Ridley as it currently is, the correct way, and have it feel like a truly threatening presence.
and

Sakurai: But, you know I get requests like, “Please put Goku in”
Sugita: GOKU!?
Sakurai: “Please put Spongebob”
Sugita: SPONGEBOB?!
Sakurai: That’s impossible.

osby

Smash Obsessed
People take that comment out of context all the time but Sakurai never said Ridley can't be in Smash. That "too big" comment was him voicing his concerns about the difficulty of adapting Ridley's design and personality into a playable character.

It is by no means comparable to stating that Smash is a video game only crossover multiple times and outright rejecting cartoon/manga characters as jokes.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
People take that comment out of context all the time but Sakurai never said Ridley can't be in Smash. That "too big" comment was him voicing his concerns about the difficulty of adapting Ridley's designated personality into a playable character.
And they managed to do it wonderfully in the end. Even though Ridley is far smaller than normal, he makes up for it by being the most spectacularly violent fighter in the history of the franchise, and for that, I thank Sakurai.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The difference is that Sakurai never said Ridley wasn't allowed in Smash, but he explicitly said numerous times the only real rule is that you gotta be from a video game. If you want an anime fighter, hope Spike Chunsoft learns how to make a good Shonen Jump crossover.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, there's no rule he ever set in stone at any point till, well, Smash 4, when he made the clear rule of "video game characters only". There's nothing to compare it to. There's nothing to really suggest the rule was a thing before Smash 4 either in general, but it is one now. That's really the first time where multiple 3rd parties existed, so the only time when he really had the option of where he could consider a non-game 3rd party. So it makes sense that's when he declared it. His entire reasoning has so far been "it's impossible" not "it's difficult" too, and all we know so far is 3rd parties mostly had issues with licensing more than anything. It's hard to come to any conclusion beyond that. He doesn't show any hatred towards characters or archtypes, etc. either. Which is good, cause he isn't a petty man like that.

That said, it's Ultimate when he doubled down on this as well, and gave the game a strict theme of "game about gaming characters", which as I noted beforehand, he and Nintendo came to that agreement. This means nothing for future Smash games in itself, as things can change, but as of Ultimate, Sakurai and Nintendo are on that page. It doesn't necessarily mean Nintendo is still going with that route either, as only Sakurai repeated his opinion on why they shouldn't be in(due to his specific theme for Smash Ultimate and licensing, really), but that's it.

The only chance they have right now is if Nintendo changes their mind, and that's not really that implausible. They're in it for business first, and if they see a good business venture, it's pretty easy to choose an option that benefits them. Promotional characters are one of the easiest cases of these. But if they choose a non-game 3rd party, they're going to be a big character on its own anyway. Not just "anyone". I still don't think it's happening, but that's pretty much on Nintendo now, not Sakurai. Let's say Nintendo goes for a non-game 3rd party. This barely affects Sakurai as he wouldn't go for new ones in a new game he's directing(for base roster) unless he feels that a specific one is a worthwhile addition or fits a particular character archtype/theme he wants to add. Otherwise, just that character back and that's it is the best to think on.

I also never really felt the floodgate arguments stood up. The worst that'll happen is Sakurai gets bombarded with somewhat slightly more requests, but the difference is pretty small. Smashboards gets more support topics. And... yeah, that's kind of it. At worst the topics grow enough to split up the boards slightly to have two forums, one for game support topics and one for non-game support topics. Basically, if somebody wants to go into a topic to stir up trouble about it, they're the problem, not the topic. Nor is Sakurai/Nintendo for adding a non-game 3rd party. The issue is people refusing to handling it in a respectable fashion. Disliking it is not the same as stirring up trouble cause of it. Oh, right, and a few topics clearly stirring up stuff that will get locked due to taking things too far. So... basically what already happens all the time. Yeah, I don't see an issue here cause just the fact Smash exists constantly causes people to create issues on their own. What'd you expect. The fanbase gets incredibly toxic anyway. Sakurai cannot literally make any decision at all without some kind of issues caused. So... I find the whole "problems" pretty exaggerated at this point. I already dealt with more than enough of these as my time as a Mod and I will say it was not actually hard to handle because people bothered to report posts extremely often as is. Rarely do people abuse reports too during it. I obviously can't say any names due to keeping lots of mod stuff secret either way. To put it clearly, those random "non game character" topics were easier to handle than some of stuff that is still going on. I can't, again, name names, but it gets crazy still. Nothing really changed anyway when it came to problematic topics.

D

Deleted member

All I'm gonna say is, if we're getting Goku, Shrek, etc before more Sega characters, I'm gonna flip a table. This would be the perfect opportunity to add Sakura, what with them trying to revive the Sakura Wars franchise worldwide. Or Nights, Arle, Beat, Vyse, Billy Hatcher, there's so much to choose from.

Sega has so many characters to choose from, they could make their own Smash, though knowing them it would consist to 50% of Sonic characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom