• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Bold of you to assume it'll come out the 2nd week of June.
Its just an assumption based on how E3's would be released on the second week of that month, plus I doubt Nintendo really changed anything there regardless of revealing when in June.

Maybe I'm wrong though and it could be later in June.

Shroob

Sup?
Its just an assumption based on how E3's would be released on the second week of that month, plus I doubt Nintendo really changed anything there regardless of revealing when in June.

Maybe I'm wrong though and it could be later in June.
Even if it does get a trailer, doesn't necessarily mean they'd come out that day. Byleth came out a week+ after their presentation.

Shroob

Sup?
I remember that there was this April Fools leak that said that a Walking Dead character was going to be in Smash, and these corny ass Smash news "outlets" covered it.

One of them was a VERIFIED Twitter account.
Tekken, "Man aren't my crossovers WEIRD?!"

Smash, "I gotta get me one of those."

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Finished Nichijou recently. Was amazing. It's so random and I love it.

Keep your hands off Eizouken is also on my to watch list as well.

To throw out another recently finished recommendation to Wademan94 Wademan94 , @Hat N' Clogs and other anime fans.
Girls Last Tour. I'd give it a watch. It's a "beautiful end of the world" type of anime and if you liked something like Made in Abyss or Kino's Journey I'd recommend.

Also hi DerpingPikachu DerpingPikachu . Haven't seen you much on the forums these days.
Howdy.
Yeah I don’t really get on here much anymore.
My main goal in joining was to make friends and now that we have the discord server I’ve done that.
Plus there really isn’t much to talk about with no reveals coming for another few weeks.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Hot take but Target Blast was bad.

Angry Birds lookin'-ass dude without the fun of Angry Birds.
Considering most people barely remember Target Blast was even a thing, that's really not that hot of a take.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I remember that there was this April Fools leak that said that a Walking Dead character was going to be in Smash, and these corny ass Smash news "outlets" covered it.

One of them was a VERIFIED Twitter account.
Why I've practically stopped watching YouTube gaming channels.

Honestly I just want some quality of life improvements or stuff like a three stage morph type thing.

Howdy.
Yeah I don’t really get on here much anymore.
My main goal in joining was to make friends and now that we have the discord server I’ve done that.
Plus there really isn’t much to talk about with no reveals coming for another few weeks.
I'm a friend!

Its cool man. I'll be doing my usual posting on the Discord chat and might join the Smashboards server as well if some of us is on it.
MilkCalf MilkCalf has went missing on here as well but I'm sure she's doing all with just the Discord.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Yeah. I guess I should go ahead and take this chance to say i’m pretty much done with smashboards.
This past year chatting with you idiots has been lovely, but since making friends with some of you on discord and everything I’ve kind of outgrown this place.
I may still pop in here now and then and maybe even come back when things pick up, but for now I’m done.
Peace. :)

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
As for me I've got the Discord server with Wademan94 Wademan94 and co on, personally I'm for people joining but up to the others too.

And I'd be up for joining another Discord server as well to broaden the social circles.

Its also 4am in Ireland. I'm not tired so I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Shroob

Sup?
Were there ANY telletale games characters that were eligible?

TBH, I don’t think the “originally a game character” rule cant last long. Licensed games are a huge part of gaming as a whole. Always have been.
It's lasted for 20 years. That's pretty dang long with no signs of cracking.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
20 years and like, 6 games. That’s not a lot. That time doesn’t mean much because it’s still had very few opportunities to be broken.
The better reason is 'why' does it need to be opened.

Doing so invites the notion of megacorps like Disney into the mix and, yeah, I'd rather not.

Some boxes should stay closed, ask Pandora.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Been rather obsessed with carnotaurus rather lately.

Could probably be because of the Primeval headcanon I came up with which an carnotaurus appeared in ancient Greece causing the legend of the minotaur.

That and using the species in my ideal book. Imagine having to try and escape from these bad bois.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Doing so invites the notion of megacorps like Disney into the mix and, yeah, I'd rather not.

It’s not like adding in a handful of licensed gaming character suddenly mandates them to include every single one. Sakurai wasn’t obligated to include every SEGA character when Sonic got in. Or every Rare character when Banjo got in. The notion of floodgates is just ridiculous.

Shroob

Sup?
It’s not like adding in a handful of licensed gaming character suddenly mandates them to include every single one. Sakurai wasn’t obligated to include every SEGA character when Sonic got in. Or every Rare character when Banjo got in. The notion of floodgates is just ridiculous.
"Okay guys, consider... Mickey Mouse."

"NO SPONGEBOB!"

"Darth Vader's a lock, guys."

"I dunno, Iron Man'd be cool, but Spider Man is the most popular."

"Batman would be soo cool, c'mon Sakurai."

"WHAT R YA DOIN' IN MAH SWAMP?!"

I can live peacefully in a universe where characters like Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron, Shrek and Goku are just memes and not actual contenders, tyvm.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

And then Sora gets in and the whole Megacorp point is pointless.

At least pick an actual company that doesn't have game characters who could easily be chosen for Smash, honestly. He's a top profile character and would make a great addition to the cast too.

I don't even care if a non-game character gets playable at that point because it's just a freaking game. It's not a big deal. Licensing is more of the problem and Sakurai is well aware of how hounded he can be by adding someone who isn't a game character, which actually good reasons. Not cause, gasp, some people will generally like the idea of oddball characters. They already do. They're just fictional characters in the end anyway. Besides, a 3rd party is still a 3rd party in the end. It became clear that licensing is not as much as an issue anymore as we thought once we got multiple companies to work together for Dragon Quest. Not that it's a bad principle to have, but the whole "opening the floodgates" has been constantly done. Opening slightly more? Meh, it won't get a ton of characters in. Support will grow? Eh, so what. So people now actually can freely support that cool character they want. It's not a remote problem, nor was it ever, really. Sakurai gets hounded by people to add characters regardless if they're from a game franchise or not. It never changed and it never will.

Exactly. This isn't a thing anymore than it is already. The floodgates were opened ages ago. People are vastly over exaggerating any issues.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
And then Sora gets in and the whole Megacorp point is pointless.

At least pick an actual company that doesn't have game characters who could easily be chosen for Smash, honestly. He's a top profile character and would make a great addition to the cast too.

I don't even care if a non-game character gets playable at that point because it's just a freaking game. It's not a big deal. Licensing is more of the problem and Sakurai is well aware of how hounded he can be by adding someone who isn't a game character, which actually good reasons. Not cause, gasp, some people will generally like the idea of oddball characters. They already do. They're just fictional characters in the end anyway. Besides, a 3rd party is still a 3rd party in the end. It became clear that licensing is not as much as an issue anymore as we thought once we got multiple companies to work together for Dragon Quest. Not that it's a bad principle to have, but the whole "opening the floodgates" has been constantly done. Opening slightly more? Meh, it won't get a ton of characters in. Support will grow? Eh, so what. So people now actually can freely support that cool character they want. It's not a remote problem, nor was it ever, really. Sakurai gets hounded by people to add characters regardless if they're from a game franchise or not. It never changed and it never will.
If he wasn't banned, Boulder or Pony and you probably would get in an hour long back and forth debate about whether Sora is Disney or SE rofl.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
"Okay guys, consider... Mickey Mouse."

"NO SPONGEBOB!"

"Darth Vader's a lock, guys."

"I dunno, Iron Man'd be cool, but Spider Man is the most popular."

"Batman would be soo cool, c'mon Sakurai."

"WHAT R YA DOIN' IN MAH SWAMP?!"

I can live peacefully in a universe where characters like Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron, Shrek and Goku are just memes and not actual contenders, tyvm.
So.... your problem is with what it would do to speculation? Maybe it’s just me, but that seems like a very small thing to get stuck on.

Shroob

Sup?
So.... your problem is with what it would do to speculation? Maybe it’s just me, but that seems like a very small thing to get stuck on.
No, I just feel like "Once a series about video games, always a series about video games."

If I want fighting games with Wacky Pitacky real world/other media crossovers, I don't lack choices in that. If I really wanna get my Walking Dead fix, I can play Tekken; conversely, I never want to have to say that about Smash.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I doubt we'll ever get a fourth party under Sakurai, but after that all bets are off. Be it in a good way (someone wants to pay tribute to the Witcher or MVC or whatever) or a bad way (they add someone to promote some new movie to incentivise them to publish a Nintendo movie), it will happen. and once it happens once, it'll be much easier to do it again.

As for my opinion... hot take, but I don't think it would be too atrocious, so long as they don't flood the roster. Two or three per game at the most would probably be enough. I'd also appriciate if they were characters with strong video game ties, like Spiderman or Geralt.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If he wasn't banned, Boulder or Pony and you probably would get in an hour long back and forth debate about whether Sora is Disney or SE rofl.
He's hard-owned by Disney, so your example is just plain awful. I don't really care about what random person tries to make a bad argument that he's a SE character. They don't get to license him out at any point. The most involvement SE has deals with moveset, and as the creators of the game, who else would Sakurai turn to anyway? That's just common sense. If Sakurai needs help, he always goes to the company who actually develops the games. It's always been the case, and always will. Doesn't make him a SE character in that way.

No matter what, Disney wouldl be involved. And since he's a game character in reality, it makes it hard to take an example of a company who has plausible game characters.

Either way, the core point is that speculation isn't an issue whatsoever. Things like requests were crazy for a long time now. People request characters who effectively have no chance, so to be honest, I don't see how it matters one bit if they originated from a game or non-game to begin with. The chances never "changed" in that regard.

No, I just feel like "Once a series about video games, always a series about video games."
So something that wasn't even a specific thing from the start? The only thing it was was "just Nintendo all-stars", which got changed as soon as Melee by having those who are definitely not all-stars, and then 3rd parties in Brawl. This didn't even become a legitimate thing till Ultimate, the first time he spoke on what his ideal game design was. Never mind things do change and always did, so this isn't a remotely sound argument. It's a major fallacy of "precedence rules and can never change." You don't need to like it, but you're not presenting a sound argument for why here.

If I want fighting games with Wacky Pitacky real world/other media crossovers, I don't lack choices in that. If I really wanna get my Walking Dead fix, I can play Tekken; conversely, I never want to have to say that about Smash.
Which isn't a good reason to avoid it either way. Nor why it would be a bad thing. It's unconvincing at this point.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

I've never wanted such a leak to be real.

But even then...Given its Blocked Content, its 100% likely fake...:(

I want Boss Rush and Targets...
I don’t...way too many characters for that...also Home Run Contest is better than all
Yo! A brand new trailer for Samurai Jack: Battle Through Time video game!

No thanks to game's official Twitter account (seriously, show clips are cool, but I wanted game info damn it!)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give me game ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Marvel, DC, WWE, Spongebob and Samurai Jack all on my Switch...****ing yes my dudes
Current state of the Sonic fandom:
not enough Boom Sonic
a Walking Dead character was going to be in Smash
...sweat pea
That’s a floodgate I’m not sure I want to see opened
I’m ready for it to be opened if it means I get more Clementine (aka the greatest Walking Dead character of all time, alongside Lee, Kenny, and AJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom