• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I know this doesn’t matter.... but I still can’t believe we got THREE JRPG characters. Especially when two of those JRPGs have very similar themes and aesthetics. They may play completely differently, but it still felt a little samey. I hope the next pass has a little more variety.
You're complaining on a meme

Also if you want to be technical, Fire Emblem is a Tactics RPG, not a JRPG. They aren't the same thing.

On top of that, would you have been as disappointed if we had gotten a Tales character instead?

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
I know this doesn’t matter.... but I still can’t believe we got THREE JRPG characters. Especially when two of those JRPGs have very similar themes and aesthetics. They may play completely differently, but it still felt a little samey. I hope the next pass has a little more variety.
TWO. Technically two JRPG characters.
Fire Emblem is a TACTICAL RPG series, they’re different.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Also if you want to be technical, Fire Emblem is a Tactics RPG, not a JRPG. They aren't the same thing.

On top of that, would you have been as disappointed if we had gotten a Tales character instead?
And persona is a horny japanese teenager simulator with some RPG elements.

That scene was literally this

But unironic and tried to play it seriously
I hate that game because it cannot take place in continuity due to the previous game setting up the Zero series.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
why can’t the characters I want in Smash be the likely ones
there are likely characters who I would be happy with, but never that I wanted

D

Deleted member

How could you forget about this gem of a quote?

For those at home, Zero looked like this at the end of X5.

This mother-****** crawled his literally bisected body to safety with one arm and a hole in his chest, is actively losing functionality with his internal mechanisms falling apart under him, and somehow scrounged the materials, tools, and paint-job to repair himself to a fully functioning 100% healed model all on his own.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Not as dissapointed but still dissapointed. I just don’t like Fantasy settings and they all look very similar and generic to me. Tales would have at least been a new world and Namco’s well deserved second character, so that would have been a little better. But it’s still a fantasy/sword and sorcery rpg.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Not as dissapointed but still dissapointed. I just don’t like Fantasy settings and they all look very similar and generic to me. Tales would have at least been a new world and Namco’s well deserved second character, so that would have been a little better. But it’s still a fantasy/sword and sorcery rpg.
It's even more like Dragon Quest than Fire Emblem is -_-

And then there's Persona, which straight up isn't a fantasy setting in the slightest.

You got a reason to hate fantasy so much? Because by your logic, Harry Potter, Legend of Zelda, and Lord of the Rings can't be your schtick either.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It is, it reminds me of places like the world that never was and End of the world, final boss areas in those games

For some reason Persona and KH seem to click in my mind as series that can work in a team up.
both rpgs that people have a liking towards with a handsome protagonist, and animals...tho one has Donald and Goofy as partners while the other has boss ass Morgana...guess this means Disney is gonna join Smash
And persona is a horny japanese teenager simulator with some RPG elements.
...Ann Takamaki...everything about her pretty much proves this
until Namco fully remembers Pac-Man is one of their own...they deserve nothing more...also every rpg has to have some sort of sword to be an rpg...every last one of them...Marvel included

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I made it to the true final boss of Persona 4 today. I wasn't able to beat the boss in question (it used a combination of powers that wiped out most of my team in one shot - I'm still a little annoyed with the whole "game over if the main character dies, even if the rest of the team is still alive" concept), but I came really close (I just needed one or two good hits, I think).

I'll do a bit of level grinding tomorrow, and hopefully, I'll be able to beat the game.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's even more like Dragon Quest than Fire Emblem is -_-

And then there's Persona, which straight up isn't a fantasy setting in the slightest.

You got a reason to hate fantasy so much? Because by your logic, Harry Potter, Legend of Zelda, and Lord of the Rings can't be your schtick either.
Lord of the Rings is like, the only fantasy I like. And I don’t know why. Zelda never grabbed me. Harry Potter bores me. It’s all just... I don’t know. I feel like all you need to do is read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and then you’ve seen everything that can be done with the genre. Everything after that just kind of runs together. It’s all so.... similar. At least in my experience. And there’s so much of it in media of all kinds that it’s really starting to irk me.

D

Deleted member

I made it to the true final boss of Persona 4 today. I wasn't able to beat the boss in question (it used a combination of powers that wiped out most of my team in one shot - I'm still a little annoyed with the whole "game over if the main character dies, even if the rest of the team is still alive" concept), but I came really close (I just needed one or two good hits, I think).

I'll do a bit of level grinding tomorrow, and hopefully, I'll be able to beat the game.
Oh snap you got far, especially after the save problems. Make sure to @ me when you give your final impressions.

And yeah, I got nothing for the final boss. Strategies are similar to the last guy iirc, so it's only a matter of time if you beat it.

And yeah, the game over if main protag dies thing is stupid. Makes difficulty extremely unbalanced. Either the game is too easy to compensate or the game has rng decides whether you win the battle. Shoutouts to Persona 3 where in the span of one turn, I got enraged (which makes me susceptible to crits), the boss crits me, and then uses its once-more to crit me again and having restart a loooooooooooooong fight. I think one enemy mob in Persona 4 deliberately target the protagonist to exploit this mechanic (I think in the Lab dungeon) and it might make you reset just because you didn't expect it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

TWO. Technically two JRPG characters.
Fire Emblem is a TACTICAL RPG series, they’re different.
A game can be both a tactics RPG and a JRPG, you know. Genres aren't mutually exclusive, especially when they're both subgenres of RPGs. FE is both Japanese and a tactics game.

Three House's somewhat gritty aesthetic is way different then Dragon Quest's brighter, more cartoonish style. You won't see something like Slime or a Cruelcumber in an FE game, that's for sure.

D

Deleted member

A game can be both a tactics RPG and a JRPG, you know. Genres aren't mutually exclusive, especially when they're both subgenres of RPGs. FE is both Japanese and a tactics game.

Three House's somewhat gritty aesthetic is way different then Dragon Quest's brighter, more cartoonish style. You won't see something like Slime or a Cruelcumber in an FE game, that's for sure.
Man Three Houses would be a completely different game if I fought these kind of idiots.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Lord of the Rings is like, the only fantasy I like. And I don’t know why. Zelda never grabbed me. Harry Potter bores me. It’s all just... I don’t know. I feel like all you need to do is read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and then you’ve seen everything that can be done with the genre. Everything after that just kind of runs together. It’s all so.... similar. At least in my experience. And there’s so much of it in media of all kinds that it’s really starting to irk me.

You just don't like anything, do you?

None of those things are like each other at all outside of having magic and swords, two concepts that are so broad that it's laughable.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail? Dungeons and Dragons? He-Man or She-Ra? Robin Hood? I guess they're all the same too, huh?

D

Deleted member

You just don't like anything, do you?

None of those things are like each other at all outside of having magic and swords, two concepts that are so broad that it's laughable.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail? Dungeons and Dragons? He-Man or She-Ra? Robin Hood? I guess they're all the same too, huh?
Calm it down mate. Harassing Snake for having different tastes than you doesn't make you cool.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Calm it down mate. Harassing Snake for having different tastes than you doesn't make you cool.
I'm not harassing her, I'm just sick of people who don't give legitimate reasons as to why they don't like something
Oftentimes, if they can't actually provide reasoning to it, they haven't actually tried it and are talking out of their rear-end.

D

Deleted member

I'm not harassing her, I'm just sick of people who don't give legitimate reasons as to why they don't like something
Oftentimes, if they can't actually provide reasoning to it, they haven't actually tried it and are talking out of their rear-end.
Do you have a "legitimate reason" for feeling that way?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think I saw more hate for Awakening than anything. I know there were users here on this site who were permabanned for starting fights. I still have heavy opinions towards the game myself; not that I think it's a game I wouldn't ever recommend.

Fates was also bad, but I don't think the split was as straight, for as you mentioned there were those who were salty solely due to the censoring. Older fans I don't think were as vocal this time around given it wasn't a sequel to an older title, the first new game in years, and not paying as much attention given it took after Awakening. Granted there are those who swear by Conquest, but the opinion towards Fates as a whole I think was also a bit more unified.

Technically a Sacred Stones guy myself, though I still have my old Nintendo Power issues that covered E3 2003 & the launch of the franchise overseas. I remember joining Serenes Forest a short time after I joined Smashboards.
I always intended on joining Serenes but I never did. I might now since the fan base has become more unified.

But yeah, I dunno I just get like Fates was the dark ages. Awakening’s backlash was full old vs. new but Fates was just everyone vs everyone free for all. People who liked fates getting **** on by censor warriors and old fans. New fans hating the story of Fates Child characters. New fans hating the Waifu wars. Corrin in Sm4sh. Fire Emblem Warriors adhering strictly to only 3 games in a series of what 15? The list goes on. If it weren’t for Three Houses it would still be that way too. Luckily, Tecmo was brought on and IS sacked up and made a ****ing masterpiece that adhered to both sides. And Smash fans got over it after a while like they always do. They did the impossible. It’s just a shame FE hate has reared its ugly head again after Byleth. Which, granted, it’s not entirely unwarranted.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Do you have a "legitimate reason" for feeling that way?
Yeah, I do. I've seen it from too many people, and believe it or not, I used to be like that. I'd put five minutes into something and if it didn't immediately catch my attention I'd throw it aside.

Then I grew up and learned to appreciate things for more than five seconds of face value.

Edit: In addition, I'd like to see Snake be more positive about stuff. 9 times out of 10 if she's talking, she's being negative about something. I want to see her succeed and sometimes it takes some tough love for that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, I do. I've seen it from too many people, and believe it or not, I used to be like that. I'd put five minutes into something and if it didn't immediately catch my attention I'd throw it aside.

Then I grew up and learned to appreciate things for more than five seconds of face value.
So because you've developed patience with media, you think that's a reason to put yourself above people who don't? For what? Because some people don't wanna commit to franchises that don't hook them?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So because you've developed patience with media, you think that's a reason to put yourself above people who don't? For what? Because some people don't wanna commit to franchises that don't hook them?
One, read the updated post.

Two, and this cannot be understated: You cannot form an opinion on something if you've only sat through five minutes of it (unless the entirety of it is equal to or less than that). To make a rather droll comparison:

"Anyone who doesn't like a Krabby Patty, has never tasted one!"

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Because ultra street fighter 2 has Violent Ken.
That mother-******, Evil Ryu, and their "rebalanced" ST Akuma ruined the online community for that game. Screw whoever at Capcom thought it was a good idea to enable them for ranked battles.

D

Deleted member

Edit: In addition, I'd like to see Snake be more positive about stuff. 9 times out of 10 if she's talking, she's being negative about something. I want to see her succeed and sometimes it takes some tough love for that.
First of all, this is bull****. Your main goal was talking down on her because her opinion wasn't as informed as you'd like to be, as you admit here.

Two, and this cannot be understated: You cannot form an opinion on something if you've only sat through five minutes of it (unless the entirety of it is equal to or less than that). To make a rather droll comparison:

"Anyone who doesn't like a Krabby Patty, has never tasted one!"
Second, here's some "tough love" for you then. Go back and read some of her posts from today and yesterday. In the span of two days, she expresses interest in Persona 1 and 2 Remakes

I still say they should remake the first two-ish games in the style of the new ones. They’ed need pretty big overhauls. But I think it would be worth it.
Talks about renders for characters she's interested in.

Was fooling around with photoshop and some pre-existing renders and created a Smash render for my most wanted Pokemon character besides maybe Gengar. I also whipped on up for Agumon and his forms
Asks who we'd want added to Ultimate.

Ok. Here’s an exorcise I love doing so I’ll put in here again. Add whoever you want to ultimate’s roster. No restrictions (except game character) and you don’t have to worry about being realistic. Who do you add?
Contributes to discussions without demeaning anybody's stances on anything

That's what I prefer they do too. Honestly, I really don't like the look of a lot of super musclebound female bodybuilders. They're living their best lives and there's nothing wrong with it, but I don't think it looks good from a purely aesthetic and character design perspective.
I voted four times on four different computers, just in case there was any kind of IP tracking involved. On my own personal computer I voted for Scorpion. I borrowed my mom's laptop to vote for Snake's return. I used a laptop from a school computer cart to vote for Dig Dug, and then finally used a computer in my local library to vote for Banjo-Kazooie.
Participates in thread games

Bowser’s Castle + Death Egg. Name: The Great Koopa and Egg War.

Freezeezy Peak + Cool Cool Mountain. Name: FreezeCool Mountain Peak.

Some sort of Capcom vs SNK stage.
Respectfully disagrees with somebody without overstepping boundaries.
To each their own. I wouldn't have liked it. I still think that kind of thing looks weird.
And plenty more. "9 times out of 10 says something negative," huh? These are all positive additions she's brought to conversations into this thread and she's been behaving extremely well recently. SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 you do you.

Thirdly, it's called an opinion. Snake has every reason to not find the fantasy genre interesting. She's not even trying to argue. Actively forcing her to be interested or try stuff she's not interested in out is abusive and I will not ****ing stand for this ****.

And really? If somebody doesn't like a Krabby Patty even if they never tried one, who gives a ****. She wasn't even arguing things were bad.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
First of all, this is bull****. Your main goal was talking down on her because her opinion wasn't as informed as you'd like to be, as you admit here.

Second, here's some "tough love" for you then. Go back and read some of her posts from today and yesterday. In the span of two days, she expresses interest in Persona 1 and 2 Remakes

Talks about renders for characters she's interested in.

Asks who we'd want added to Ultimate.

Contributes to discussions without demeaning anybody's stances on anything

Participates in thread games

Respectfully disagrees with somebody without overstepping boundaries.

And plenty more. "9 times out of 10 says something negative," huh? These are all positive additions she's brought to conversations into this thread and she's been behaving extremely well recently. SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 you do you.

Thirdly, it's called an opinion. Snake has every reason to not find the fantasy genre interesting. She's not even trying to argue. Actively forcing her to be interested or try stuff she's not interested in out is abusive and I will not ****ing stand for this ****.

And really? If somebody doesn't like a Krabby Patty even if they never tried one, who gives a ****. She wasn't even arguing things were bad.
Whatever you say boss.

If she truly is improving then I'm proud of her.

I'll admit my tone could've been less harsh, if I said anything hurtful or came off aggressive SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 I apologize.

Edit: dumb chrome

That said it is not your place to fight her battles for her, if you can even call this a battle.

I'm free to my opinion on not just taking "well x is exactly the same as y" when it literally is not

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Yeah, generalizing people as being "overly negative" isn't a very wise thing to do without solid evidence, especially since SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 has been making an active effort to be a lot less controversial with her opinions and overall content nowadays. It's also totally fine for someone to dislike things that you personally enjoy if they respectfully present their stance on why it doesn't appeal to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom