• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
You malcontents you miscreants you You

Foolish felines
sorry i called you felines but you don’t know what you’ve done
Oh, I know exactly what I've done.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Whatever you say boss.

If she truly is improving then I'm proud of her.

I'll admit my tone could've been less harsh, if I said anything hurtful or came off aggressive SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 I apologize.

Edit: dumb chrome

That said it is not your place to fight her battles for her, if you can even call this a battle.

I'm free to my opinion on not just taking "well x is exactly the same as y" when it literally is not
Since I was asleep, I am really glad @Bolderousness rushed to my defense. It was a very nice thing to wake up to.

And secondly, I never said they were exactly the same. I said they were similar. Too similar for me to find any real enjoyment in them compared to most sci-fi which almost always features entirely new worlds, races, technology, and designs every story that are rarely derivative of each other unless they’re doing a homage (or a ripoff, but that’s already a bad thing). But hey, if you like it, then you do you. It’s not my place to try to tell you what to like and what not to. Because most Fantasy is still very well made and clearly has a lot of love put into it. It’s just not for me. (And for the record, I watched Holy Grail the entire way through and thought it was hilarious, and watched 5 of the Harry Potter movies all the way through as well as both Fantastic Beasts movies. As well as a few other fantasy movies like Princess Bride and that one where the girl is literally a star).

It probably has something to do with the fact that I can’t stand history, or old things in general (except dinosaurs). To the frustration of my sister and father who eat that stuff up. My sister once told me, to my face, that I “didn’t have any appreciation for things made without technology”. Which really stung because, well, it’s kind of true.

osby

Smash Obsessed
And secondly, I never said they were exactly the same. I said they were similar. Too similar for me to find any real enjoyment in them compared to most sci-fi which almost always features entirely new worlds, races, technology, and designs every story that are rarely derivative of each other unless they’re doing a homage (or a ripoff, but that’s already a bad thing). But hey, if you like it, then you do you. It’s not my place to try to tell you what to like and what not to. Because most Fantasy is still very well made and clearly has a lot of love put into it. It’s just not for me.
Thanks for acknowledging the merits of fantasy but I still don't agree with it being more derivative than sci-fi.

I think both of their commercialized and mainstream versions are kinda stuck in replicating what The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars did, respectively. You can also find new worlds, races, magic, and designs if you look past the generic Medieval Europe-ish sword and sorcery stuff (insert shameless Earthsea shill here).

It probably has something to do with the fact that I can’t stand history, or old things in general (except dinosaurs). To the frustration of my sister and father who eat that stuff up. My sister once told me, to my face, that I “didn’t have any appreciation for things made without technology”. Which really stung because, well, it’s kind of true.
Well, sci-fi doesn't have to be technology-oriented and fantasy isn't always historical (urban fantasy is pretty big on its own) but I see your point. Though, you said you like dinosaurs so you obviously have at least some interest in animals.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
man, i forget smashboards has front page articles. it's kinda weird that they actively want others to write stuff for them outside of tournament results.

Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom has good ones though, that curry articles was fire. i'm not a fan of the smash underdogs opinionated parade, otherwise i'd be typing up fifteen essays over how Scorpion matters :nifty:

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Thanks for acknowledging the merits of fantasy but I still don't agree with it being more derivative than sci-fi.

I think both of their commercialized and mainstream versions are kinda stuck in replicating what The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars did, respectively. You can also find new worlds, races, magic, and designs if you look past the generic Medieval Europe-ish sword and sorcery stuff (insert shameless Earthsea shill here).

Well, sci-fi doesn't have to be technology-oriented and fantasy isn't always historical (urban fantasy is pretty big on its own) but I see your point. Though, you said you like dinosaurs so you obviously have at least some interest in animals.
Oh my god, I was a dinosaur freak as a kid! Still kind of am, but to a much lower extent. I knew so much that I was critiquing shows and movies about scientific accuracy when I was 5. And my mom had to explain to me multiple times that sometimes that’s just not what the show was trying to be about because I was being such a killjoy. Not just dinosaurs either, really all prehistoric animals. I still maintain a belief that all of North America’s interesting fauna died out because of overhunting by early people at the end of the ice age. If we had just shown a little restraint then North America would have mammoths and Sabre toothed cats and camels. Florida and California would be terrorized by 10-ft tall killer flightless birds!! We’d have glyptodons and giant tortoises. Actual lions, giant sloths, tapirs, short-faced bears and friggin giant beavers!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I brought up something like this before but I wanted to talk about it again and I just think it’d be a little exercise to talk about, name 10 Pokémon that you would travel around the world with and do fun stuff without having to worry about battling.
1. Flygon
2. Sylveon
3. Primarina
4. Torchic
5. Alolan Rattata
6. Smeargle
7. Yamper
8. Ribombee
9. Arcanine
10. Granbull

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
currently sitting on 40,000 nook miles

got nothing to do with them

edit: also is 93 bells per turnip a good price? this is my first time ever getting prices under triple digits

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I brought up something like this before but I wanted to talk about it again and I just think it’d be a little exercise to talk about, name 10 Pokémon that you would travel around the world with and do fun stuff without having to worry about battling.
1. Flygon
2. Sylveon
3. Primarina
4. Torchic
5. Alolan Rattata
6. Smeargle
7. Yamper
8. Ribombee
9. Arcanine
10. Granbull
My constant companions would be my SwSh team (Cinderace, Boltund, Gossifleur, Hatterene, Alcremie, and Sylveon). I’d have Mewtwo with me for protection. As well as a Pichu, a Jellicent, and a Sprixie. A Gengar would be constantly following behind the party in the shadows, longing for companionship, and would join the main cast in the 10th episode.

osby

Smash Obsessed
1. Flygon
2. Sylveon
3. Primarina
4. Torchic
5. Alolan Rattata
6. Smeargle
7. Yamper
8. Ribombee
9. Arcanine
10. Granbull
"Torchic". Something man of culture something.

The rest:
  1. Corphish
  2. Ludicolo
  3. Skitty
  4. Beautifly
  5. Jellicent
  6. Alcremie
  7. Mamoswine
  8. Cherubi
  9. Tropius
Gee, I wonder what my favorite Gen is.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
1. Flygon
2. Sylveon
3. Primarina
4. Torchic
5. Alolan Rattata
6. Smeargle
7. Yamper
8. Ribombee
9. Arcanine
10. Granbull
No one because of the pandemic. I ain't travelling around the world, not now.

Jokes aside, I'm not sure I could name ten, but I'd put Jigglypuff and Mimikyu in there, certainly.

Last edited:

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
1. Flygon
2. Sylveon
3. Primarina
4. Torchic
5. Alolan Rattata
6. Smeargle
7. Yamper
8. Ribombee
9. Arcanine
10. Granbull
For my list:

The first six spots will be taken by my OR team: Swampert, Gardevoir, Heracross, Swalot, Driftblim, and Glaceon.

Then for the others will be taken by my favorite Mythical Pokémon:
7. Hoopa
8. Celebi
9. Jirachi
10. Magearna

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
1. Flygon
2. Sylveon
3. Primarina
4. Torchic
5. Alolan Rattata
6. Smeargle
7. Yamper
8. Ribombee
9. Arcanine
10. Granbull
1. Sylveon
2. Lugia
3. Feraligatr
4. Gardevoir
5. Haunter
6. Vulpix/Ninetails
7. Mimikyu
8. Kabutops
9. Lapras
10. Mew

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
To be perfectly honest I’m not all too happy with how my SixFanarts challenge is coming along. Thought of something else I could possibly do, though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
A friend got Super Mario Party and we played it alongside two other bros for a few hours a few nights ago. Holy **** what a disappointing Mario Party. I thought the rumors were only exaggerating, this **** is total ass.

I wish I still had my copy of Mario Party 6 aka the best mario party... and four working gamecube controllers.

I just want N64 Online with Mario Party 2, please.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
A friend got Super Mario Party and we played it alongside two other bros for a few hours a few nights ago. Holy **** what a disappointing Mario Party. I thought the rumors were only exaggerating, this **** is total ass.

I wish I still had my copy of Mario Party 6 aka the best mario party... and four working gamecube controllers.

I just want N64 Online with Mario Party 2, please.
Super Mario Party is certainly better than any of them that came out on the Wii or Wii U, really the only issue I have with SMP is the number of boards, they should have at least doubled it.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Super Mario Party is certainly better than any of them that came out on the Wii or Wii U, really the only issue I have with SMP is the number of boards, they should have at least doubled it.
I still don't know why there aren't more characters. Smash Ultimate has over 60 and there are way more animations that go into a Smash character then a Mario Party one.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I still don't know why there aren't more characters. Smash Ultimate has over 60 and there are way more animations that go into a Smash character then a Mario Party one.
What do you mean, they've resorted to having to use one-off villains from the 3D Land games, I think the roster is fine if they have to expand that far. :laugh:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I agree, but I also think games like Mario Party and Mario Kart should expand out into more than just Mario characters. Mario Kart 8 is a good start with Link, Villager, Isabelle, and the Inklings, but Nintendo has a HUGE lineup of characters who would almost all fit in really well in these games.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
So apparently, fanfiction.net doesn't like screenplay/script format and I got a message from mods within Critics United/CU saying that I have to use regular format for future chapters.

AO3 allows script format though, so at least there's an avenue to stick with the original format of the story, but with fanfiction we'll have to change up the format entirely for the rest of the story, which means more edits. This is getting stressful. It doesn't help that CU on fanfiction.net is an organization that is infamous, apparently.

At least AO3 exists?

Either way, releasing the story that I wrote with my friend and trying to entertain people and give others a good experience is going to be harder than I thought on FF.net. That's all I want to do: give others a good experience with a seriously interesting, good story. This has become a stressor and now feels like a second job.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So apparently, fanfiction.net doesn't like screenplay/script format and I got a message from mods within Critics United/CU saying that I have to use regular format for future chapters.

AO3 allows script format though, so at least there's an avenue to stick with the original format of the story, but with fanfiction we'll have to change up the format entirely for the rest of the story, which means more edits. This is getting stressful. It doesn't help that CU on fanfiction.net is an organization that is infamous, apparently.

At least AO3 exists?

Either way, releasing the story that I wrote with my friend and trying to entertain people and give others a good experience is going to be harder than I thought on FF.net. That's all I want to do: give others a good experience with a seriously interesting, good story. This has become a stressor and now feels like a second job.
There's a reason where a lot of people left fanfiction.net for AO3.

The latter is better at... well, pretty much everything aside from you'll missing out on people who only use the former.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
There's a reason where a lot of people left fanfiction.net for AO3.

The latter is better at... well, pretty much everything aside from you'll missing out on people who only use the former.
That's the trade-off, basically.

While Fanfiction.net is more well-known historically and still gets many readers, AO3 isn't biased against screenplay format. And the troubling thing is I'm not even trying to write a trollfic. This story's original script took about 8 or 9 months to complete, and my friend and I put in so much work and effort to entertain people. And besides, Shakespeare did screenplay/script format. It's a viable writing system.

On the upside, I do have an AO3 account, so there's a back-up plan. I just need to learn the "tools of the trade" i.e. how tags work and how to make sure it reaches the "Undertale" part of the site.

This whole thing is depressing me and ruining my day.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Huh, AO3 allows that? I might register. Never was a fan of that idea that "only one format allowed". Like, really/ That's no less a fanfic. The format doesn't matter to begin with.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I agree, but I also think games like Mario Party and Mario Kart should expand out into more than just Mario characters. Mario Kart 8 is a good start with Link, Villager, Isabelle, and the Inklings, but Nintendo has a HUGE lineup of characters who would almost all fit in really well in these games.
I think the best thing to do would be to start with Karting, as the switch probably won’t be getting its own mario kart beyond 8 deluxe, and they have just about every character they would need modeled and ready thanks to Smash Ultimate. Then once that proves to be a success, spread out into party and tennis and the like.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Peewee having a customized diner seat that looks almost like a modern couch makes me really miss the modern furniture set.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
1. Flygon
2. Sylveon
3. Primarina
4. Torchic
5. Alolan Rattata
6. Smeargle
7. Yamper
8. Ribombee
9. Arcanine
10. Granbull
Here's mine:
1. Toxtricity