• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
My mom was super controlling of what me and my sisters were and weren't allowed to watch on TV. Spongebob was banned because the show was too "rude".

...Although I still got to watch it because my older sister knew where she hid the remote.

Shroob

Sup?
My mom was super controlling of what me and my sisters were and weren't allowed to watch on TV. Spongebob was banned because the show was too "rude".

...Although I still got to watch it because my older sister knew where she hid the remote.
I had strict parents too since they were "UBER RELIGIOUS", but that was also the problem, they were "UBER RELIGIOUS".

Something bad happen?

Oh, it's not OUR fault, Satan caused it to happen, duh!

Somehow despite being in the perfect target demographic for believing the "POKEMON IS SATANIC" **** that went on in the 90s, they never went THAT far south.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Guess who now has official artwork in heroes:

Here’s your fighter Five get hyped!

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994

I used to be prohibited from watching the Flats the Flounder episode...

Because they said "butt." Only "bottom" was acceptable in our household. :125:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Yup, parts of the show can be gross sometimes... like that one infamous toenail scene.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
YouTube just sent me some more info on how my channel did last month.
2146FBC8-C663-4517-9D8B-E10BA6A4199D.jpeg

All of these numbers are higher than they have ever been before on one of these reports, so I’m happy with that.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
just got settled back in on campus

that 7 hour drive always sucks but this semester seems really chill

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Morning, peeps!

I had strict parents too since they were "UBER RELIGIOUS", but that was also the problem, they were "UBER RELIGIOUS".

Something bad happen?

Oh, it's not OUR fault, Satan caused it to happen, duh!

Somehow despite being in the perfect target demographic for believing the "POKEMON IS SATANIC" **** that went on in the 90s, they never went THAT far south.
Those are the type of people that I do NOT want to be around, especially given my life with a christian family.

D

Deleted member

same here, parents loosned up later on.

Still can’t watch Spongebob, I think anyway. never tried.

Along with that:
Pokemon was banned(even my mother doesn’t remeber why)
when I stupidly mentioned that anime sweared, my mom flipped the **** out on me and didn’t necessarily ban it, but kept an eye on me.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Asude from the more adult cartoons, the only shows I was banned from as Adventure Time and Regular Show. Adventure Time sucked more because that premiered on my birthday.

I'm pretty sure it was because both shows said "crap" frequently, and I guess 8 year old me wasn't ready for that word. And that was the era where Regular Show was edgy.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

My mom never hated Spongebob. But she blocked us from watching reruns of Ren and Stimpy and The Simpson’s (because we had one of those high tech cable boxes that let you do that), as well as all of Cartoon Network because she didn’t think Ed, Edd, n Eddy and Courage the Cowardly Dog were appropriate for kids.

I got around that, ironically, by going up to HER room and watching TV there alone because while downstairs we had one of those new fangled cable boxes that let you block channels, upstairs we had none of that and this was back when all you needed for cable was to screw the chord into your wall before Comcast started making boxes mandatory for every tv in the house. So the tv in her room wasn’t blocked on anything (it just couldn’t reach Tripple digit channels.

And all this reminds me of one of the kids I counseled at camp over the summer who seriously thought that selecting the Disney app on her smart tv was the same thing as cable television, and that therefor my assertion that you couldn’t pick what you want to watch and when with cable tv was wrong.

I love kids, but they can be such pricks. There was this one kid who unironically did Fortnite dances after he scored in dodgeball. Like dude, that’s a TAUNT. It’s super mean spirited and unsportsmanlike to do it irl. Did he listen when I told him that, no. I was just the grumpy lady trying to stop him from “having fun”. And don’t get me STARTED on the little snot who got me fired......

Don’t get me wrong, I love kids, but THOSE kids had me one strike away from turning into a Kids Next Door villain.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Ooooh, cartoons being banned in households, this is a fun topic.

-When I was still in the single digits in age, anything from Dreamworks was banned. But when I turned 10 and saw Over the Hedge, things changed.
-Spongebob was banned as well. Well... I was allowed to watch the classic seasons for a while, and if it had to be any seasons that were watched, I'm glad it was the early stuff. But after turning 13 it became no issue, of course.

Those are the ones I remember most. I think a lot changed when I became a teenager. This is when I started watching anime full-time, and Naruto and Bleach were two shows I followed. Despite my mom knowing that there was violence in both and sometimes foul language as well, those were permitted. Turning 13 made many shows much easier to binge-watch, including Naruto and Bleach.

Only "adult" cartoon I was genuinely interested in when I was still a teen was King of the Hill. Began watching it when I was 16. Hilarious stuff when you're watching the right episodes.

Last edited:

Cracke

Smash Journeyman
You guys had some bad parents man. The only thing I was banned from watching were those really really ugly ones. You know what ones I'm talking about, unless you don't know.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
You guys had some bad parents man. The only thing I was banned from watching were those really really ugly ones. You know what ones I'm talking about, unless you don't know.
My parents were protective, sure. But, they wanted to make sure I would mature in all aspects of life, including consumption of media. Besides, when I became a teen they understood that I was maturing well and doors opened up to watch more programming, and since turning 18 of course I have freedom to watch whatever I want, and they have complete confidence in me that I will continue to be wise in consumption of media.

But by all means, continue criticizing their parenting skills and make rash assumptions simply for them not allowing just a couple shows for a few years. -_-

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think my mom banned those cartoons more so SHE didn’t have to watch them because I would hog the tv a lot. Except for the Simpsons. Apparently after watching enough of that I started telling her “don’t have a cow, man” when she would get angry. Which like, fair, that was a rude thing to say, but to this day she still gets excessively angry over certain scenarios. So..... I was being an indignant little ****, but she kind of needed it. Even if I didn’t do it long enough for it to work because she blocked the show. I also have no memory of this happening at all, I just remember watching the show one night and then my mom angrily shutting it off and telling us we couldn’t watch anymore. I always thought she banned it because she thought the show crossed the line or something.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My mom wouldn't let me and my brother watch Ren & Stimpy.

And after all these years I can see why...

I can't exactly remember too but I think Rocko's Modern Life as well otherwise that was pretty much it.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
My parents were protective, sure. But, they wanted to make sure I would mature in all aspects of life, including consumption of media. Besides, when I became a teen they understood that I was maturing well and doors opened up to watch more programming, and since turning 18 of course I have freedom to watch whatever I want, and they have complete confidence in me that I will continue to be wise in consumption of media.

But by all means, continue criticizing their parenting skills and make rash assumptions simply for them not allowing just a couple shows for a few years. -_-
And people think I’m being overbearing when I say i won’t let my kids watch or play certain shows or kinds of games.

Like, I’m not gonna be like “no, stop watching/playing that” if they find it on their own and become passionate about it. But I’m not gonna have that stuff ready and available for them. I’m not gonna have copies of Fortnite and episodes of Teen Titans Go just lying around the house, you know.

Also, I’m gonna let them play the systems I already own (provided the game is age appropriate), but they will not be allowed to have one of their own electronics till they’re at least 13, maybe older. Ain’t no way I’m trusting a butterfingered child with a single digit age to properly care for a $300-$500 switch or PlayStation, or ****, even a tablet/phone.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I only ever got banned from one show and that was mr meaty because my mom thought it was f**king weird. She wasn’t wrong.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I mean, have you SEEN early Regular Show? That was bordering TV-14 lol.
yo, a HAPPY TREE FRIEND Flippy. killing compilation was ruled for kids under YTs new law
Pretty much every form of animation is being labeled "for kids".

Drawn Together got hit with that as well. That one John K. cartoon, Cans Without Labels or whatever it was called, also did.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I mean, have you SEEN early Regular Show? That was bordering TV-14 lol.
Regular Show <3

Concerning the "Borderline TV-14" part, this would have to match the case of seasons 1 and 2 when the word "pissed" was allowed. But starting in season 3, they cut that.

Even still, it was a jolly good show. I rewatched it a few months ago and it was totally worth it.

...You know who ELSE likes rewatching shows from a few months ago? MY MOM

Last edited:

MilkCalf

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
2739-5061-8025
Oh boy am I pleased to not care for Pokemon. View it as a bland cash grab at this point.
yo, a HAPPY TREE FRIEND Flippy. killing compilation was ruled for kids under YTs new law
I actually support that. I remember watching a bit of that and feeling really disgusted. Imo you shouldn't sell a violent show like a little kids' show.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
let's see...

I wasn't allowed to watch Rugrats because let's just say my sister took a couple words from Angelica's vocabulary and my parents weren't having any of it

Lilo & Stitch was taken off the menu for a while for a very similar reason (in particular, the use of "stupid head")

Shrek was a huge no-no. After finally watching it a couple years ago, I can easily see why.

I see SpongeBob being brought up a lot. Surprisingly, my parents didn't really have a problem with it, they just found it really stupid.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Regular Show <3

Concerning the "Borderline TV-14" part, this would have to match the case of seasons 1 and 2 when the word "pissed" was allowed. But starting in season 3, they cut that.

Even still, it was a jolly good show. I rewatched it a few months ago and it was totally worth it.

...You know who ELSE likes rewatching shows from a few months ago? MY MOM
Yep, the show premiered when I was 8, and it got the ban hammer faster than Benson getting mad at Mordecai and Rigby.

Last edited:

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
As a kid I never understood why my friends always got banned from the shows I liked. My buddy Max got banned from adveture time because finn threatened to cut off the ice king's head in one episode, but I mean it's a kids show so it's not like that was actually gonna happen right?

D

Deleted member

My parents oddly enough allowed me to watch anything.

Even the original Robocop movie with all the violence and such or any Tim Burton movie.

The only exception was the James Bond series of films. For some reason that was the only thing they didn’t let me watch.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
As a kid I never understood why my friends always got banned from the shows I liked. My buddy Max got banned from adveture time because finn threatened to cut off the ice king's head in one episode, but I mean it's a kids show so it's not like that was actually gonna happen right?
I was the opposite. I got banned from all the shows that my friends liked. Banned from the Simpsons, South Park, Regular Show, and Adventure Time. They even played Regular Show, where they acted like the characters, and I barely knew anything about the show.

I had to be Benson according to my friends. Why, idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom