• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It's the seventh. In just over... 20 hours, we will be in fear the future!
giddy peridot.gif

I heard it's also the anniversary of some dumb party game. I can't remember it's name, but I think it has Mario in it.

Shroob

Sup?
It's actually strange.

I'm not going to name names, but I've been getting PMs here asking if I think the "Reimu leak" from awhile ago is legit from several users.

I'm not sure why me specifically but it do be like that.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The internet.

I know I'm sounding harsh but, if you're banking your happiness on a couple hundred people going absolutely mental over a DLC character in a video game then

I'm sure even you can see how bizarre this sounds.

I'm not sure why you'd expect any character to get more than *mild clap* now that you've seen what happened with Joker. They could reveal the most wanted character of all time and it'd be the same results.

The Game Awards is not a good way to gauge hype.

The reaction videos are.
I don’t care about the cheering. I just got hooked onto it in the process of trying to quantify my opinions in a way that was provable. My emotional well being does not rest on people cheering at the game awards.

D

Deleted member

Time for some Smashiversary art.

That is pretty nice. Sa, let me show y'all something that is just as good as that...if you want.

Sayonara :yoshi:

Shroob

Sup?
I don’t care about the cheering. I just got hooked onto it in the process of trying to quantify my opinions in a way that was provable. My emotional well being does not rest on people cheering at the game awards.
Well, that's good that you understand that, I think?

Regardless, just

Go with the flow.

If it is Reimu, I don't even know, she will be hype. I guarantee you there'll be over 100 reaction videos uploaded within 24 hours.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just got hooked onto it in the process of trying to quantify my opinions in a way that was provable.
Opinions are not quantifiable or provable, though.

Feel however you like, nobody knows what you should think about subjective matters better than yourself.

D

Deleted member

That's the same thing? If the crux of your argument was that "cheering at game awards" why you used it as the crux doesn't matter.

anyway, I'm heading off to bed, it's 12pm here.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I have multiple suggestions.

1: Keep a note or something next to your PC that says "Are you getting heated again?" If you recognize that you are, stop with what you're doing, take a breath of fresh air, have a drink of water and just have a 5 minute break

2: Are you watching any youtubers who could be influencing this behaivour? If so, and I know for a fact you watch at least 1 person who does this whole emotionally manipulative stuff in similar situations, stop watching them. Believe it or not I went through something similar and when I realized a specific kind of video I watched a lot made me more generally unpleasant to deal with, I stopped watching them as I realized all of the youtubers I watched who did those things were being a bad influence on me
EDIT: Sidenote, I'm aware it's easier said then done, sorry if I'm implying it's easy to do it as snapping your fingers

3: Stop going here if it affects your mental state so badly. A rather extreme course of action, perhaps, but if you get THIS heated that it affects your mental state then it's only for the best if you stop going somewhere that incites this behaivour in you. Eventually this constant lashing out at everyone for disagreeing with you will bite you hard and nobody will want to talk to you anyway as there's the constant emotionally manipulative thing you keep doing whether you realize it or not.

I'm not just saying this as someone who's tired of this song and dance, I'm saying it as a friend who likes you outside of this scenario
Thanks for the advice. I’ll try to improve.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That's the same thing? If the crux of your argument was that "cheering at game awards" why you used it as the crux doesn't matter.

anyway, I'm heading off to bed, it's 12pm here.
The crux of my argument was that “Reimu is a smaller character who wouldn’t generate much hype” and then I went round and round in circles trying to prove it and got stuck on the crowd cheering.

MainJPW

M.T.A
If it don’t have Spinel

View attachment 250743

They goin to hell
I wanna see the Ruby squad again...jk, I wanna see Navy again.

i am legit interested in the show tho hope it’s not trash
If you care about the characters being on model it's already off to a bad start. :troll:

>Too tall to fit through the door frame
>Tall to the point that her ponytail reaches over the door even after bending her knees
>walks several feet away from the doorway
>Next shot shows her standing directly in front of the doorway and is now shorter than the door
>Ponytail no longer reaches over the door

Shroob

Sup?
I regret it. I really do.

I’m still afraid the game awards will turn out like E3 though. Only this time without a bear and bird to save me at the end
I mean, if you're not prepared for Norman Reetus who's gonna Yeetus that Feetus to sweep every category it's in, I got some bad news for ya.

But I'm not really sure what you 'mean'?

I can guarantee you if you got into Touhou, you'd probably love Reimu as a character.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I wanna see the Ruby squad again...jk, I wanna see Navy again.

If you care about the characters being on model it's already off to a bad start. :troll:

>Too tall to fit through the door frame
>Tall to the point that her ponytail reaches over the door even after bending her knees
>walks several feet away from the doorway
>Next shot shows her standing directly in front of the doorway and is now shorter than the door
>Ponytail no longer reaches over the door

If ur partner’s as consistent as this show’s model inconsistencies, you good.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I regret it. I really do.

I’m still afraid the game awards will turn out like E3 though. Only this time without a bear and bird to save me at the end
I know this is super easy for me due to timezones making it hard for me to do otherwise, but just try not to care. Instead of watching it live, read about what got announced and determine if you're interested enough to watch the trailers. Not to mention that Sony has a State of Play a few days prior which people are actually looking forward to due to RE3make, regardless what else gets shown, people will be excited about that and will talk about how excited they are

Shroob

Sup?
And again:

At the end of the day, we don't even know if Reimu is confirmed.

All we know is that Verg is ignoring her as much as humanly possible despite being asked multiple times and Sabi is............

Sabi.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I’m not going into TGA expecting anything, to be honest. So I can’t be disappointed.

Im just here for smash, and to riff on whatever they show until I get to smash. If something legit awesome comes in the meantime, then cool.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, if you're not prepared for Norman Reetus who's gonna Yeetus that Feetus to sweep every category it's in, I got some bad news for ya.

But I'm not really sure what you 'mean'?

I can guarantee you if you got into Touhou, you'd probably love Reimu as a character.
I’m not talking about the winners.

At E3, I was demoralized by each reveal as it came on. Every reveal of some rpg or sandbox game or shooter brought me down further and further. Every reveal that wasn’t a franchise or game genre I liked made me feel more and mire alone, like the industry was moving on without me and that eventually I wouldn’t have games anymore after already feeling abandoned by film and television. To the point where I was blubbering and desperately hoping for a platformer at a friggin Bethesda conference.

Shroob

Sup?
Tbf Verge has been ignoring pretty much everything since he said Ubisoft's out
Was that before or after he said Nippon Ichi as a whole is out.

I find it sus he'd take time to deconfirm Nippon Ichi, a company I'd argue that no one was even considering besides diehard Disgaea fans, but he keeps ignoring Reimu.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace

I find it sus he'd take time to deconfirm Nippon Ichi, a company I'd argue that no one was even considering besides diehard Disgaea fans, but he keeps ignoring Reimu.
I think he said it after the Nippon Ichi.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
On the topic of a Ruby in Steven Universe Future
A couple years back, I was writing a SU fanfiction. It was terrible and I never uploaded it, but one of the key plot-points was Navy and Aquamarine working together and becoming not terrible people. I can't remember if they were going to fuse, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I had the wrong Ruby, but still. I feel like a genius for predicting the general idea so far in advance

osby

Smash Obsessed

At E3, I was demoralized by each reveal as it came on. Every reveal of some rpg or sandbox game or shooter brought me down further and further. Every reveal that wasn’t a franchise or game genre I liked made me feel more and mire alone, like the industry was moving on without me and that eventually I wouldn’t have games anymore after already feeling abandoned by film and television. To the point where I was blubbering and desperately hoping for a platformer at a friggin Bethesda conference.
Which games that came out this year was up to your alley?

Just because certain events don't announce a ton of them, doesn't mean there aren't still a lot of new fighting, action and platforming games around.

Double K

Smash Lord
It's alright, I'm not exactly the best with that here either considering my own late response. ^^;

That's true, Cygames and TCPi are different companies with different ideologies so of course there's going to be differences in how they approach their business and it won't be 1:1 in that regard. However, I brought them up because like how they did GBVS to dip their toes into different markets and expand their franchise, Pokemon has done the same with their current spinoffs. Take Pokken for instance, that game was clearly made to appeal to competitive players and it was pushed for their Pokemon World Tournament game alongside TCG and the mainline Pokémon games. It didn't sell a lot (only about a million on the Wii U), but it still got a port onto the more successful Switch and has still remained a major feature in their tournaments since. Same thing with Detective Pikachu, that game could've easily fell into obscurity if they wanted since it was just an Eshop game in Japan and only the first episode released for some time, but they still pushed for a physical game later on the 3DS, have a sequel in the works for the Switch, and had a movie this year.

In both cases we see that TCPi pursued these spinoff options despite the fact that neither moved many units, with Pokken probably only selling around two and a half million between both releases. So why did they do it? Because those games appealed to a market that they wanted to have. Pokken added an extra layer to their competitive community and they continue to support that, while Detective Pikachu (IIRC) was made to portray Pikachu in a different setting and way. In both cases there was an itch that TCPi wanted to have scratched and both games did it for them.

Now that's not to say that suddenly a new Mystery Dungeon will be made, but those two games do highlight that selling to the highest mark isn't everything. TCPi does look for ways that their spinoffs can appeal to different crowds and expand on Pokemon in ways that they're interested in. Mystery Dungeon has been a subseries that many still enjoy to this day, beloved for its fleshed out characters, charming stories, and (to a lesser extent) rougelike gameplay that no other spinoff in Pokemon has fully shared. If TCPi feels that itch is worth scratching, then they'll go after it. They have shown more interest in it then any of the other older spinoffs like Stadium/Colloseum, Ranger or Conquest (RIP all three), so there is an appeal they recognize in it. Whether it may turn into us getting another game in the future, that's up in the air, but I don't think it's as impossible as you say.

I'm kind of picking on this, but at the risk of repeating myself, the comparison of Monster Hunter 4 and Super Mystery Dungeon is still disingenuous since it ignores a number of factors exclusive to both games I've already explained. Additionally, it also ignores that what one company considers a success for their game is not the same for another as it comes down to their respective expectations. To use your comparison of MH, despite being a multimillion seller in Japan, Monster Hunter Generations selling a million in the west was considered a success for Capcom. The reason for that is that relatively, while those numbers would be bad in Japan, the franchise had never exploded in the same way in other regions at the time, so passing that bar was a mark that their franchise was getting stronger and they were pleased with that. Same thing for games like Metroid Samus Returns or Fire Emblem Echoes: SoV, those games probably only did a million themselves worldwide, but Nintendo and IS respectively were pleased with the numbers and happy that they sold as much as they did. If Pokémon had those numbers in their mainline games, those would've been bombs, but for those examples it was a success.

So saying that since SMD didn't sell as well as MH4 on its own doesn't really tell us anything about how successful it was for TCPi. They of course would've been ecstatic with 4 million for the game, but on the other end it doesn't mean 1.63 million was a disappointment for them. It's all a matter of what TCPi was looking for with that game, and unless an interview or official statement comes out and explains the situation we can't say concretely it was a failure for them.
It's not a matter of SMD not selling as well as MH4

It's the fact that SMD's international sales over 3 years didn't scratch MH4's domestic sales in six months.

Think about it from a business perspective; you release a game to appeal to another demographic, and your easiest local competition (MonHun is one of the biggest IPs in Japan for handheld console gaming), just completely destroys your product effortlessly.

When you're that big of a company, it's a reasonable assumption as to why TPCi won't invest in Mystery Dungeon

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Which games that came out this year was up to your alley?

Just because certain events don't announce a ton of them, doesn't mean there aren't still a lot of new fighting, action and platforming games around.
Luigi’s Mansion 3, evening I haven’t played it yet. Astral Chain came out, so did MK11 (even if it’s probably my least favorite MK to date). I the MediEvil remake happened and I really need to finish playing it. I also discovered Tamarin and fell in love, even if it ended up getting delayed till next year.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I believe it was afterwards, and Nippon Ichi fans kept bugging him about it which is why he said it

Yeah this is a really bad thing. I don't know what time the Game Awards will be for you or how busy your schedule is, but when it's going live, play a game you love or watch your favourite show, in between stages or episodes, check Nibel's twitter, he's a journalist who tweets about announcements and actual rumours with merit, usually keeping his opinions outside of the reportings
https://twitter.com/Nibellion?s=09
It's how I learned about Joker despite being awake as I was too busy playing Smash

Shroob

Sup?
I believe it was afterwards, and Nippon Ichi fans kept bugging him about it which is why he said it

Yeah this is a really bad thing. I don't know what time the Game Awards will be for you or how busy your schedule is, but when it's going live, play a game you love or watch your favourite show, in between stages or episodes, check Nibel's twitter, he's a journalist who tweets about announcements and actual rumours with merit, usually keeping his opinions outside of the reportings
It's how I learned about Joker despite being awake as I was too busy playing Smash
That's just strange then.

People on Gamefaqs have arguably been bugging him just as hard since, Reimu has a legit following there.

I find this whole situation bizarre and just want a "Yes or no" at this point.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection is great so go buy it.

End announcement

osby

Smash Obsessed
Luigi’s Mansion 3, evening I haven’t played it yet. Astral Chain came out, so did MK11 (even if it’s probably my least favorite MK to date). I the MediEvil remake happened and I really need to finish playing it. I also discovered Tamarin and fell in love, even if it ended up getting delayed till next year.
Okay, so maybe you can try to finish your backlog before worrying about there are no games in the market for you anymore?

I'm sure by the time you get through them, more games you like will be announced or released.

D

Deleted member

OK, but seeing Joker's reveal just now again made me remember how hype "Life Will Change" is and how it's an absolute travesty hat it's not in Smash. Now back to bed for me.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think I'll ask one last time:
What do you expect from the Game Awards, anyway?

Oh yeah, here, I'll cheer ya up!

Maybe. This is probably the smart thing to do. I don’t know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom