• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
You realize you're arguing with someone you're 10 years older than, right? That's like me having an argument with one of my students because they didn't know about a series I liked.

Just saying. One thing to be passionate about something, but this could have definitely been more educational than the passive aggressive post it turned out to be.

I can imagine it gets tiring when people use the same arguments with something you like. I get that. But...yeah.
I mean I can see it.

I got burnt out of "Literally who" "No one asked for this" "No one knows what this is" back with Mr.Gogurt.

We live in 2019, it's a matter of two clicks on Google to figure out what stuff is.

Besides, let's be real, most of the users who frequent here are on the younger side, and that was all-around tame compared to how it used to be back in Box or Grinch days.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
There were, but they weren't any more believable in the moment than the average 4Chan leak.

I'm pretty sure Ultimate's E3 reveal was leaked in the same way.
It was. It was a 4Chan post leak, actually, but practically no one believed it before E3.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I
It was. It was a 4Chan post leak, actually, but practically no one believed it before E3.
There was another leak before that though.
A Reddit post of a pro tester that was working on incenroar and Ken I believe. They mentioned seeing plant hidden away from the CS.

A lot of people believed it as it accurately described play testing, but it didn’t go viral

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I
There was another leak before that though.
A Reddit post of a pro tester that was working on incenroar and Ken I believe. They mentioned seeing plant hidden away from the CS.

A lot of people believed it as it accurately described play testing, but it didn’t go viral
Oh, to be honest, I never saw that one.

Shroob

Sup?
I think my stance is:

"No one knows what this is"

Is a logical fallacy, because by acknowledging that it exists means you yourself now knows that it exists.

I do find the mindset highly insulting as well.

Am I 'really' all the excited for Terry?
200.gif

But his fans are happy, at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Yay! Images are back! Now i can finally ask for help on this:
DBB1EF1C-A2AC-4333-8948-F038DC15245F.jpeg

Progress on the Duplighost partner for my Paper Mario game ideas and I need some help with her design, name and just about anything else. She’ll be a theatre performer who wants to become a top-class actress like her idol Madame Flurrie. She can nail a likeness and even copying what is having trouble finding her own groove as well as acting in the voice outside of exact phrases so she’s such as everyone’s understudy. Peach comes across her while on the run from the main antagonist and agrees to help Peach with stuff like stealth and disguises as she hopes to grow and become better in this experience.

Tagging Noipoi Noipoi here.

Double K

Smash Lord
You realize you're arguing with someone you're 10 years older than, right? That's like me having an argument with one of my students because they didn't know about a series I liked.

Just saying. One thing to be passionate about something, but this could have definitely been more educational than the passive aggressive post it turned out to be.

I can imagine it gets tiring when people use the same arguments with something you like. I get that. But...yeah.
Not comparable, since in your case its a matter of livelihood.

This goes beyond Reimu and Smash, this is a thing that permeates pop culture people in general. It's the same vein as "Read another book that isn't Harry Potter," or "Watch a movie that isn't MCU"

This whole "It's Japanese? Must be weird/obscure" thing is everywhere and it never gets any less infuriating because it is almost exclusively an American thing. It's why we get things like DmC before DMC5. It's why we get things like JelloApocalypse's stupid Pizza Game.

Hell, going back to Smash, look at how people reacted to Terry in the states. Unless they're huge into the FGC, they mostly reacted with "Who?"

Go back to E3 with Hero and Joker's reveal. "What's Dragon Quest? Popular in Japan? Who cares lol"

Because like, God forbid, that countries outside of America have thriving communities for a specific game that didn't reach stateside. Like, hell

"This game is about a Japanese man, who is a retired career criminal trying to find the father of his adoptive daughter's child? It's a weird game made by the weirdly racist Japanese. But God of War 2018? Masterpiece title. AAA+ game that is perfect for us who want real mature stories."

Like, the fact that Yakuza 0 got popular and revived the series in the west because of a chicken in a side-quest is a perfect representation of my issues. It wasn't because "Wow, this game is shockingly heartfelt, I wasn't expecting this out of a game that is about the Japanese mafia," it was because "Oh wow, this game lets me put a chicken as a real estate manager! Ah, those crazy Japanese and their funny ideas!"

Do you not see the issue here?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even if Piranha Plant was leaked by someone, you might as well consider him a surprise.

Can anyone honestly say they would've believed such a leak back then, especially when we also had the Grinch leak on top of everything?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

This goes beyond Reimu and Smash, this is a thing that permeates pop culture people in general. It's the same vein as "Read another book that isn't Harry Potter," or "Watch a movie that isn't MCU"

This whole "It's Japanese? Must be weird/obscure" thing is everywhere and it never gets any less infuriating because it is almost exclusively an American thing. It's why we get things like DmC before DMC5. It's why we get things like JelloApocalypse's stupid Pizza Game.

Hell, going back to Smash, look at how people reacted to Terry in the states. Unless they're huge into the FGC, they mostly reacted with "Who?"

Go back to E3 with Hero and Joker's reveal. "What's Dragon Quest? Popular in Japan? Who cares lol"

Because like, God forbid, that countries outside of America have thriving communities for a specific game that didn't reach stateside. Like, hell

"This game is about a Japanese man, who is a retired career criminal trying to find the father of his adoptive daughter's child? It's a weird game made by the weirdly racist Japanese. But God of War 2018? Masterpiece title. AAA+ game that is perfect for us who want real mature stories."

Like, the fact that Yakuza 0 got popular and revived the series in the west because of a chicken in a side-quest is a perfect representation of my issues. It wasn't because "Wow, this game is shockingly heartfelt, I wasn't expecting this out of a game that is about the Japanese mafia," it was because "Oh wow, this game lets me put a chicken as a real estate manager! Ah, those crazy Japanese and their funny ideas!"

Okay. You really need to chill, Double K. You are just taking this way too seriously. You should calm down before you say something that gets out of hand.

D

Deleted member

Alright, I've really starting to get tired of this back and forth regarding DLC picks(and honestly I really need to take a break)
So, I'm going to be leaving for a few days(probably until we get more info regarding Terry, honestly)
Until then, see ya!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Alright, I've really starting to get tired of this back and forth regarding DLC picks(and honestly I really need to take a break)
So, I'm going to be leaving for a few days(probably until we get more info regarding Terry, honestly)
Until then, see ya!
Take care. Stay safe.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Is it an issue? Sure. Does it constitute basically telling a teenager they're dumb for not knowing something? Absolutely not. You're not winning anybody over, or going to convince somebody to appreciate the things you appreciate by saying, "You're not smart for not knowing this stuff."

When it comes to games like Yakuza and God of War, they're both series that have different histories to them as well. God of War far and away has had more attraction to Western audiences. I wouldn't really say it's a racism thing, but more something related to the legacy and branding of particular series. God of War is also an exclusive to one of the big 3 console makers, that certainly helps the marketing of it to the western gaming fanbase.

That quote you used to describe Yakuza and God of War is certainly not characteristic of an entire body of consumers, and I think it's not supportive of your point when you say that people "judge" a game based on appearances, when you yourself are judging people because they might not play the games you like. I also don't think it's out of the question that...maybe God of War and Yakuza are both great games?

It comes down to culture, but also business decisions and marketing. Mario, Zelda, and other games do well everywhere because of how they are perceived. Based on culture in the west, I personally, wouldn't really see Touhou making it mainstream. It's a game with several characters being young Japanese girls, when the market is mainly driven by games in which you shoot other people. That's a pretty tough sell.

I agree that people should be more open to new things, as that's half the reason I love Smash and the games involved. I just think there'd need to be far more moving parts for more folks in the west to be more open to games like Touhou, whether it's based on gameplay, or aesthetic. i understand your frustration though, I'm sure that gets old.

Alas, my point is this: You get more bees with honey than vinegar. If you have a point to make, you're going to shut people out and not wanting to listen if you're rude or mean about it. I could on for hours about how Buffalo has the greatest chicken wings on the face of the earth, but if I call somebody an idiot for not knowing about them, that's really not going to convince them. Know what I mean?

EDIT: I want to add that if your justification for me being kind to kids and you not being kind to children is because "it's my livelihood", that's frankly silly and irresponsible of you in terms of building a more open-minded society. You're not going to teach younger people the things you think they should know by telling them they're thoughtless and a bonehead, for lack of a better term.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yay! Images are back! Now i can finally ask for help on this:View attachment 243014
Progress on the Duplighost partner for my Paper Mario game ideas and I need some help with her design, name and just about anything else. She’ll be a theatre performer who wants to become a top-class actress like her idol Madame Flurrie. She can nail a likeness and even copying what is having trouble finding her own groove as well as acting in the voice outside of exact phrases so she’s such as everyone’s understudy. Peach comes across her while on the run from the main antagonist and agrees to help Peach with stuff like stealth and disguises as she hopes to grow and become better in this experience.

Tagging Noipoi Noipoi here.
She needs an accessory or something. Right now she looks kinda basic. Like Koops has a hoodie, Goombella has adventurer gear, etc.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I think the biggest issue is that this community has a problem with the vocal minority, and when people see it, it leaves a very nasty impression.

Example: Reddit.

Like, I get it. Dragon Quest isn't nearly as popular here as it in in Japan

But like, some of the comments over on le leddit in regards to Hero's reveal were just downright disrespectful to fans of the series.

And then Terry was a repeat performance of that.

I feel like, and this is just 'my' opinion, but a lot of us have the mindset of "If it's not something I like, it's not good enough".

I've been guilty of that myself. I'm not 'thrilled' that Terry's a character, but I'm able to flip the table and be happy for his fans instead.

"Less about ME ME ME, and more about THEM THEM THEM."

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

I think the issue here is the way you chose to present your argument.
It's one thing to say "Saying something lacks notoriety in one region doesn't mean a franchise is niche. IE: Fatal Fury, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, etc." but it's another to say "Are you living under a rock? This franchise has inspired all this! I'm going to drag you for your arrogance"

Like cool, you found an opening in their argument. Doesn't mean you have to berate him for not knowing everything about an IP he has no attachment to.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think the biggest issue is that this community has a problem with the vocal minority, and when people see it, it leaves a very nasty impression.

Example: Reddit.

Like, I get it. Dragon Quest isn't nearly as popular here as it in in Japan

But like, some of the comments over on le leddit in regards to Hero's reveal were just downright disrespectful to fans of the series.

And then Terry was a repeat performance of that.

I feel like, and this is just 'my' opinion, but a lot of us have the mindset of "If it's not something I like, it's not good enough".

I've been guilty of that myself. I'm not 'thrilled' that Terry's a character, but I'm able to flip the table and be happy for his fans instead.

"Less about ME ME ME, and more about THEM THEM THEM."
It's been that way since the beginning, or at least since I started speculation for Wii U. Most Smash fans will crap on stuff they don't like as long as it benefits their own preferred characters and series.

It's like a...tribal thing. Tribalism isn't always bad, considering it results in the fanbase efforts to get characters into Smash, and has clearly resulted in some good stuff like Ridley, K.Rool, Snake, Banjo-KAzooie...but the toxic part is toxic.

Double K Double K I forgot to mention it, but I do feel as though things are changing in the US at least toward Japanese materials, as younger kids of different backgrounds definitely get into anime more than they used to. Will that result in more people playing games like Touhou and Yakuza? Maybe, maybe not. But I think it's something that is slowly, and gradually, changing. At least, things are far different now than when I was in high school.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

I thought God of War 2018 was amazing..... (Though RDR2 was probably GOTY for me last year)

Shroob

Sup?
It's been that way since the beginning, or at least since I started speculation for Wii U. Most Smash fans will crap on stuff they don't like as long as it benefits their own preferred characters and series.

It's like a...tribal thing. Tribalism isn't always bad, considering it results in the fanbase efforts to get characters into Smash, and has clearly resulted in some good stuff like Ridley, K.Rool, Snake, Banjo-KAzooie...but the toxic part is toxic.

Double K Double K I forgot to mention it, but I do feel as though things are changing in the US at least toward Japanese materials, as younger kids of different backgrounds definitely get into anime more than they used to. Will that result in more people playing games like Touhou and Yakuza? Maybe, maybe not. But I think it's something that is slowly, and gradually, changing. At least, things are far different now than when I was in high school.
Like, I myself wanted Nakoruru in Smash, #birdgang

But for days it was just non-stop "LITERALLY WHO?" "NO ONE ASKED FOR THIS!" "WHAT'S SNK"

And for Hero?

"JAPAN BIAS" "ANIME SWORD" "NO ONE LIKES DRAGON QUEST" "ONLY JAPAN LIKES THIS SERIES"

But heaven forbid anyone take away Baby's baba in the form of Banjo, lest they have a fit.

This fanbase is ridiculously close minded to the point that anything that they're not aware of just doesn't exist, or is 'obscure'. And that, is legitimately frustrating and tiring.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

But for days it was just non-stop "LITERALLY WHO?" "NO ONE ASKED FOR THIS!" "WHAT'S SNK"

And for Hero?

"JAPAN BIAS" "ANIME SWORD" "NO ONE LIKES DRAGON QUEST" "ONLY JAPAN LIKES THIS SERIES"

But heaven forbid anyone take away Baby's baba in the form of Banjo, lest they have a fit.

This fanbase is ridiculously close minded to the point that anything that they're not aware of just doesn't exist, or is 'obscure'. And that, is legitimately frustrating and tiring.
Bruh, we literally had fans saying, "What's a Castlevania?"

It's tiring and frustrating, yes. But things aren't actually going to improve if we say, "Way to not know things, bonehead! There's not learning for you, piss off!"

Have I said things like that to friends in private? Uh, yeah. Have I said that to people's faces and told them they're a waste of space? No. I come back when I'm ready and try to spread the good word, something I basically did with Resident Evil.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And for Hero?

This attitude has been going on since at least Brawl though, it's nothing new and unlikely to change 10 years on.
Imma be honest, this is nowhere near as serious as people make it out to be. Who gives a **** what people think of a character, just be excited and ignore the people who complain. If it's having this much of an impact on you mentally it's probably for the best to just step away from it.

Shroob

Sup?
This attitude has been going on since at least Brawl though, it's nothing new and unlikely to change 10 years on.
Imma be honest, this is nowhere near as serious as people make it out to be. Who gives a **** what people think of a character, just be excited and ignore the people who complain. If it's having this much of an impact on you mentally it's probably for the best to just step away from it.
It's not a big deal, but it drags the fun factor of speculation down considerably.

Maybe I'm just different, but I'm more than okay with the DLC being oddball picks that no one expected.

But so many people(Here included) act like they're owed something personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom