• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The biggest problem with Nintendo revealing silhouettes of the fighters or giving hints is that the fan base would literally figure it out within minutes.

It took Smash fans literally, like, a day to figure out Hero was Erdrick or at least Dragon Quest related. If they did anything like that, it would end the hype almost instantly.

Though, if the renders were made in a way that wouldn’t suggest the identity of the characters, then that’s a big ol maybe.
That's not true. Just have a silhouette of a baggy pant leg and a ninja shoe.

"It's Ryu Hayabusa! He's wearing his classic look like Simon! Geez!"

"Nah *****, it's the boy Scorpion, you crazy."

"You utter moron! You buffoon! You Mouth Breather! You Knuckle dragger! It's Joe Musashi!"

"There's no why it's anyone OTHER than Sub-Zero! YEET!"

"Lol what if it's Strider?"

"J...J..Jago gang rise up?"

Bam, we got a lot to talk about.

Shroob

Sup?
And while we wait for Verge to wake up, we can each go to our respective support groups and discuss what we'd like to see if our characters got in.

Just because a leak is likely going to happen before an official reveal doesn't mean we should just get it over with now and save ourselves the trouble.
Maybe it's because I'm old and cynical, but this speculation just feels like a shell of its former self.

I still remember very fondly the night Sonic appeared on the Dojo and he was just 'there', no leaks or anything, and if there were, they weren't widespead.

I don't even like Sonic. And yet, that was exciting.

Leaks have sucked the fun out of speculation because they're just inevitible. Imagine how insane Banjo's reveal would have been if Shinobi hadn't leaked it... but what happened for the week straight up to E3?

"BANJOATE3BANJOATE3BANJOATE3"

D

Deleted member

In what world is Touhou obscure?
Well, to start off, the game is so obscure that I've literally only heard it mentioned in the Undertale community.(not counting itself of course)
Google searching it leads to pretty much nothing of special mention(outside of the wikia sites, really) for the first 3 or so sites(although that might just be the google algorithm being wonky)

And even then, it's a anime bullet hell game( don't forget that anime isn't as popular outside of Japan, so that's already a big nick to it's relative popularity)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Maybe it's because I'm old and cynical, but this speculation just feels like a shell of its former self.

I still remember very fondly the night Sonic appeared on the Dojo and he was just 'there', no leaks or anything, and if there were, they weren't widespead.

I don't even like Sonic. And yet, that was exciting.

Leaks have sucked the fun out of speculation because they're just inevitible. Imagine how insane Banjo's reveal would have been if Shinobi hadn't leaked it... but what happened for the week straight up to E3?

"BANJOATE3BANJOATE3BANJOATE3"
To be fair, there's always a chance something doesn't get leaked. That's why last years August Smash Direct was so hype. We didn't know a thing about Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, or even K. Rool. Then there was Piranha Plant and Joker, both of which were a huge surprise.

Double K

Smash Lord
Well, to start off, the game is so obscure that I've literally only heard it mentioned in the Undertale community.(not counting itself of course)
Google searching it leads to pretty much nothing of special mention(outside of the wikia sites, really) for the first 3 or so sites(although that might just be the google algorithm being wonky)

And even then, it's a anime bullet hell game( don't forget that anime isn't as popular outside of Japan, so that's already a big nick to it's relative popularity)
France, China and Italy are the three largest consumers of anime outside of Japan and manga consistently tops New York Times Best Selling Books list for the month. YuGiOh is the most played TCG in the world, and the final Episode of Dragon Ball Super was made into a national event in various South American countries + Mexico.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
To be fair, there's always a chance something doesn't get leaked. That's why last years August Smash Direct was so hype. We didn't know a thing about Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, or even K. Rool. Then there was Piranha Plant and Joker, both of which were a huge surprise.
Yeah, I know, but there is always the possibility that the insiders knew, or at least some of them, but chose not to, or were not allowed to leak them.

Shroob

Sup?
*Raises hand*

Shroob

Sup?
tragedy

man who hates leaks actively takes parts in a leaker circle and ends up being one of maybe like thirty people to have the surprise spoiled for them

sad reacts only
To be fair, when I joined the group

I didn't expect, well, everything to be laid bare that early.

The price that forbidden knowledge costs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

France, China and Italy are the three largest consumers of anime outside of Japan and manga consistently tops New York Times Best Selling Books list for the month. YuGiOh is the most played TCG in the world, and the final Episode of Dragon Ball Super was made into a national event in various South American countries + Mexico.
that wasn't my point lol
My main point is, outside of certain circles(you like anime+bullet hells+obscure stuff) you probably haven't actually heard of Touhou(except for namedrops+music, which are fine)

But I think this debate has gone on for way too long now, so um.. can we just move on now?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Really hoping we get another Joker situation and Fighter 5 goes completely unleaked

that was a magical moment that took all of us by surprise and was such a breath of fresh air,

compare that to the more mechanical "oh, it's gonna be *character*. better set our expectations"

Don't get me wrong I like knowing characters ahead of time as much as others do, but there's always something special about going into a direct/presentation not knowing what you'll come out with.

Here's hoping Joker wasn't our last surprise

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hey.

You guys ever play a game called Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? I hear it's really great and has a bunch of cool characters in it.

D

Deleted member

Hey.

You guys ever play a game called Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? I hear it's really great and has a bunch of cool characters in it.
I get that this is sarcasm, but what are you trying to say exactly? I don't really get the joke.

Double K

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post
that wasn't my point lol
My main point is, outside of certain circles(you like anime+bullet hells+obscure stuff) you probably haven't actually heard of Touhou(except for namedrops+music, which are fine)
"You've probably never heard of this thing because it's obscure."

"The music."

"That doesn't count."

Really?

But I think this debate has gone on for way too long now, so um.. can we just move on now?
Nah, you said something dumb so you're getting dragged, you silly Ojama.

The fact that you are legitimately using "I couldn't find it on google and I've never really heard of it" just proves more that you're living under a rock. This has been a franchise that has, as mentioned a few pages ago, influenced countless people to become artists, music composers, cosplayers, writers, game devs, and more. Undertale was heavily inspired by it and you see and hear it from gameplay, to sound design.

This is a series that has been reaching out to people for almost two decades now and while it has declined in popularity in its origin area, has exploded to become a cultural phenomena that is comparable to Dragon Quest on the indie scene.

The idea that "Oh, nobody has heard about outside of Japan" is also insulting, and frankly, kind of racist.

Like, OH MAN, this game is totally unknown outside of Japan! You know, Japan? One of the most densely populated, wealthy countries in the world? The country which typically accounts for a majority of the sales of a game, or enough of a proportion that a game succeeding there can make a sequel happen?

That country?

Yeah, its sure is a mystery that something is popular there! Man, those Japanese are so mysterious and mystical.

Like, get holy hell, these "Obscure outside of the Japan" arguments always piss me off because of things like this. You're even worse with the whole obscure thing. You have freaking Ojama Lime as your forum avatar. Ojama Lime doesn't have a freaking card and is dead in the Yugioh lore! But some C-list popularity youtuber decided to make it a meme and oh boy, suddenly everyone wants it in the game!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

"The music."

"That doesn't count."

Really?

The fact that you are legitimately using "I couldn't find it on google and I've never really heard of it" just proves more that you're living under a rock. This has been a franchise that has, as mentioned a few pages ago, influenced countless people to become artists, music composers, cosplayers, writers, game devs, and more. Undertale was heavily inspired by it and you see and hear it from gameplay, to sound design.

This is a series that has been reaching out to people for almost two decades now and while it has declined in popularity in its origin area, has exploded to become a cultural phenomena that is comparable to Dragon Quest on the indie scene.

The idea that "Oh, nobody has heard about outside of Japan" is also insulting, and frankly, kind of racist.

Like, OH MAN, this game is totally unknown outside of Japan! You know, Japan? One of the most densely populated, wealthy countries in the world? The country which typically accounts for a majority of the sales of a game, or enough of a proportion that a game succeeding there can make a sequel happen?

That country?

Yeah, its sure is a mystery that something is popular there! Man, those Japanese are so mysterious and mystical.

Like, get holy hell, these "Obscure outside of the Japan" arguments always piss me off because of things like this. You're even worse with the whole obscure thing. You have freaking Ojama Lime as your forum avatar. Ojama Lime doesn't have a freaking card and is dead in the Yugioh lore! But some C-list popularity youtuber decided to make it a meme and oh boy, suddenly everyone wants it in the game!
Woah, woah! Take it easy! Just because you think he said something wrong doesn't mean you have to be so hard on him!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

"The music."

"That doesn't count."

Really?

That country?

You realize you're arguing with someone you're 10 years older than, right? That's like me having an argument with one of my students because they didn't know about a series I liked.

Just saying. One thing to be passionate about something, but this could have definitely been more educational than the passive aggressive post it turned out to be.

I can imagine it gets tiring when people use the same arguments with something you like. I get that. But...yeah.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom