• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I hard agree with Snake.

Back during Brawl times, speculation was enjoyable.

But now it's just leaks leaks and more leaks.

You want someone? Too bad, Verg says they're not in.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What about just straight up revealing a bunch all at once?
Then that leaves fans with too much revealed at once and empty space afterward. That would be absolutely terrible compared to what we’ve gotten.

The Smash release schedule works because we’re looking at established, popular characters. With Mortal Kombat, their picks are original to the game, which is very different from Smash anyway.

Think it’s fine how it is, imo.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I hard agree with Snake.

Yeah, that is far less than fun. I do think Brawl's speculation was more enjoyable as well.

Shroob

Sup?
Then that leaves fans will too much revealed at once and empty space afterward. That would be absolutely terrible compared to what we’ve gotten.

The Smash release schedule works because we’re looking at established, popular characters. With Mortal Kombat, their picks are original to the game, which is very different from Smash anyway.

What, you mean playing telephone with insiders since Smash4?

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, you’re inevitably going to find speculation less enjoyable if you’ve been actively participating in it for a decade. Things do tend to get repetitive and tiring if you’re constantly engaging with them. At the same time, yeah, in a vacuum it has become a lot less interesting to me.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If this is your idea of fun I'm cancelling my RSVP to your birthday party.
Why wouldn't it be fun? When you don't know who's in, at least you can be hopeful and pray that your character is one of the lucky few. You also get to bond with other people who want the same character as you, and then speculation becomes sort of a team effort.

Revealing everything at once kills the dream before you even had a chance to think about it.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
It's still not that easy on the internet. You could still come across a leak anywhere.

Plus, I meant more subtle hints, not just silhouettes, ya know.

That’s only really inside the Smash bubble, you probably wouldn’t know who Vergeben is if you aren’t in it, for example

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
To me, fun is being more chaotic, meaning far less predictable. That is why I find getting a hint and speculating what or who it means to be more fun than what leakers say is the next character.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I hard agree with Snake.

idk man

I think it's better than hyping yourself up constantly for something that's probably not going to happen

I don't get the point of speculating if it's not to figure out who's gonna be in.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Then that leaves fans will too much revealed at once and empty space afterward. That would be absolutely terrible compared to what we’ve gotten.

I don’t. Like I said. If they’re gonna keep it secret they need to do something to narrow down are thinking and actually make speculation fun. Or give us the criteria they use to pick characters. Something to actually make this fun instead of this endless parade of made-up rules and “insider” information.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That’s only really inside the Smash bubble, you probably wouldn’t know who Vergeben is if you aren’t in it, for example
Still, a lot of people who like Smash ARE inside the Smash bubble. Smash leaks are mainly inside the Smash bubble. How is anyone going to avoid that in the bubble?

Shroob

Sup?
Why wouldn't it be fun? When you don't know who's in, at least you can be hopeful and pray that your character is one of the lucky few. You also get to bond with other people who want the same character as you, and then speculation becomes sort of a team effort.

Revealing everything at once kills the dream before you even had a chance to think about it.
The dream is already dead.

These games get leaked six ways from Sunday and the only way to avoid them is a pure internet blackout since Smash news is everywhere.

Need I remind you that insiders knew the entirety of the base roster for Ultimate not even a month after E3.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I hard agree with Snake.

I’ve already said this, and I will say it again

If you want to avoid Verg and leaks badly, then just stay away from them. That way, you will be surprised, as you would not see it coming at all, just like Joker at the VGAs

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

These games get leaked six ways from Sunday and the only way to avoid them is a pure internet blackout since Smash news is everywhere.

Need I remind you that insiders knew the entirety of the base roster for Ultimate not even a month after E3.
Which isn't fair in my opinion. To me, some things are best kept to oneself. I believe some of these leakers are leaking stuff for the glory and fame, if you know what I mean.

Shroob

Sup?
idk man

I think it's better than hyping yourself up constantly for something that's probably not going to happen

I don't get the point of speculating if it's not to figure out who's gonna be in.
I mean to be blunt

As someone who's been through 3, technically 4 cycles now

I don't see that as a bad thing if it's just going to keep devolving into a leaker ****fest.

Sure, you 'can' speculate, and then a leaker says something and that's all tossed out the window.

Speculation has changed

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I’ve already said this, and I will say it again

If you want to avoid Verg and leaks badly, then just stay away from them. That way, you will be surprised, as you would not see it coming at all, just like Joker at the VGAs
Joker would have been leaked to hell and back if any insiders actually knew about his inclusion.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Fighter's Pass 5 will be a video game character. Their stage will be a signature location from said game. They will come with various music tracks from their series. You will also be able to fight spirits representing various characters from the series. Some people will love seeing their favorite character join the battle, others will be confused as to why the character made it in.
I see, so not a Square character, as "various music tracks" implies more than 2 songs.

Bit of a rant here, but I do wanna get this off my chest, and I’d assume some others here feel the same.

I’m honestly beginning to grow tired of the speculation for the DLC. The focal points of discussion aren’t “who’s relevant” or “who would be interesting to play as” like they used to be. It’s just these “leaks” from people who want five seconds of fame.

Somehow everyone is “a reliable source.” Someone gets one thing right, suddenly we all watch everything they say and take it seriously. It’s not even like a monthly thing anymore. It seems every week, or even every day, we get a new leak from this guy’s Discord server or that girl’s discord server, and then this character is confirmed and this one is deconfirmed. Oh wait, actually it’s this character but someone from another discord server said so.
They all end up contradicting each other in the end anyway, because they’re all BS.

Then you got people like (and no offense intended to the man himself) PapaGenos making videos for every one of these daily leaks, ultimately making content that gets outdated in a day or two, and I really can’t bring myself to pay any mind to something like that.

The daily discourse being in this state is the reason I barely post, and just lurk every day. Why should I even bother commenting on Reimu, for example, when I’m less than two full days it’ll be a dead rumor. Oh wait it’s not dead. Oh wait it is. Oh wait it’s not, because a guy on my friend’s discord server who knows a guy who has connections to video games said it’s true.

Everyone’s going to go into the Terry presentation expecting Ryu, Crash, or Reimu. Watch it be none of them, just like how last year’s September direct wasn’t Skull Kid, or Isaac, or Karate Joe, despite whoever said so.
I can understand the frustration. To be honest, I only really hear of leaks from this thread. Since I don't actively look into them much. I'd be down for talking about character who I either just like, or I think could be mechanically interesting. Not to mention someone who's iconic to the industry as a whole, Maybe a characters who's a combination of those three main traits. Relevancy is fine and all, but that only helps in trying to predict who "needs" to be in, rather than stuff I could actually give a **** about.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

And yet here we are, going crazy over who Fighter #5 could be.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the point in speculation if you're not speculating. Smashboards would be a hollow shell without it.

Shroob

Sup?
We have an illusion of freedom.

Sure, go ahead and discuss whoever you want.

As soon as the new hot leaker on the block opens their mouth, that's literally going to be the only thing anyone wants to talk about

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Joker would have been leaked to hell and back if any insiders actually knew about his inclusion.
That is not the point that I was trying to make

What I was saying is that, the feeling of surprise of Jokers reveal was obviously more than Erdricks, who was literally leaked for half a year

My point was that, if you want to feel that surprise again, then just stay away from leaks

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

As soon as the new hot leaker on the block opens their mouth, that's literally going to be the only thing anyone wants to talk about
Or a few things, if other leakers say something else. Just saying. Still, I do agree leakers make things less fun.

Shroob

Sup?
And yet here we are, going crazy over who Fighter #5 could be.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the point in speculation if you're not speculating. Smashboards would be a hollow shell without it.
Let's not pull punches.

As soon as Verg wakes up from his nap

All the speculation is gonna get tossed aside since Vergs word is god

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Let's not pull punches.

Verge and Sabi have re-combined back into the singular entity they used to be before the Manhattan project tests. They’re trying to get their footing back and resume something resembling a normal life.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You know, I'd say people who want information are just sheep looking for shepherds. And the leakers are the shepherds. Some people are just desperate.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Let's not pull punches.

And while we wait for Verge to wake up, we can each go to our respective support groups and discuss what we'd like to see if our characters got in.

Just because a leak is likely going to happen before an official reveal doesn't mean we should just get it over with now and save ourselves the trouble.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
"What does 'leaker' mean?"

"It means somebody who just wants to hog all of the attention."

"No it doesn't!"

"hey, Sabi, Goku is next!"

"Stop it Patrick people are already mad at her!"

Double K

Smash Lord

You just described living in the 21st century tbh

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Also, I say that whoever leakers say get in the game and who don't, that doesn't just make the ones who are fans of the ones who won't get in disappointed, but it will ruin the fun for them. If people want to speculate, what good is it for the people who want their favorite character in since they know their character won't be in? That is just why guessing is more fun than knowing, in a way when speculating.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So the last few months (see: half year or so) I've been talking about Resident Evil and other series that I think would be great for Smash.

Time and time again, I've been wrong about who the next characters will be. Most of the fanbase is wrong about who the next character will be. For every correct leaker, there are about 30 that make stuff up just for attention.

Don't let others spoil your fun if you want to talk Smash. I'm more or less glad that these leaks were killed early, because otherwise the conversation would have likely relied on them. But I really don't think every leak needs to be given attention or weight, considering most of them are **** anyway.

I also like talking about what series or characters would be great for the "Ultimate crossover game". That's why I'm for characters like Leon, Chris or Jill, Dante, Doom Slayer, Heihachi, Lloyd, and am open to characters like Phoenix Wright or Amaterasu. I think the bigger problem is that some folks will get attached to anything or anyone saying their character of choice is coming for DLC, and then it dominates the conversation.
---
Anyway, if Pick 5 isn't Reimu, Crash, Tracer, Hayabusa, or Dante, then that leaves stuff like:

Resident Evil
Ace Attorney
Tekken
Tales of
DOOM

...some others

I don't know, but the pool might have been trimmed down quite a bit in the last few days.

Discuss.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So the last few months (see: half year or so) I've been talking about Resident Evil and other series that I think would be great for Smash.

Time and time again, I've been wrong about who the next characters will be. Most of the fanbase is wrong about who the next character will be. For every correct leaker, there are about 30 that make stuff up just for attention.

Don't let others spoil your fun if you want to talk Smash. I'm more or less glad that these leaks were killed early, because otherwise the conversation would have likely relied on them. But I really don't think every leak needs to be given attention or weight, considering most of them are **** anyway.

I also like talking about what series or characters would be great for the "Ultimate crossover game". That's why I'm for characters like Leon, Chris or Jill, Dante, Doom Slayer, Heihachi, Lloyd, and am open to characters like Phoenix Wright or Amaterasu. I think the bigger problem is that some folks will get attached to anything or anyone saying their character of choice is coming for DLC, and then it dominates the conversation.
---
Anyway, if Pick 5 isn't Reimu, Crash, Tracer, Hayabusa, or Dante, then that leaves stuff like:

Resident Evil
Ace Attorney
Tekken
Tales of
...some others

I don't know, but the pool might have been trimmed down quite a bit in the last few days.

Discuss.
I really want it to be a Tekken character, but Augumon would also be a good addition. And I really sm betting on it being a Namco character at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom