• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I just went back and watched the Injustice 2 ninja turtle reveal. I want something like that. Something amazing that you never even expected. Dark Souls, DoomSlayer, and Kratos are all that in my mind. And if it is something at that level, I want it at the game awards. I want to be sleep deprived and super hyped when it happens.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Tales rep as #5 and a Resident Evil rep(mianly Leon) as the 1st post fighter's Pass character. That's my current prediction.

Double K

Smash Lord
Why the heck is Star Fox included in this list? I know Smash helped it, but it did fine on it's own for a while.

And even when it's inactive, Nintendo still totes it around as an IP they're really proud of. It gets referenced all the time.
Relative to their time period, most Star Fox games were at most, modest successes in a financial sense, or critical failures.

Adventure is generally not liked as a game.
Assault is liked, but kind of not that well put together thanks to ground missions
Command was probably their most successful thing
Zero failed both financially and critically in Nintendo's eyes (because as it turns out, you should probably never trust Miyamoto since after Twilight Princess)
2 is part of a console mega bundle

When you actually look at how many franchises Nintendo owns, most of their stuff that was started under their belt has died/concluded/failed.

Also, there was a 10-year gap between Command and Zero.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Star Fox has always struggled after 64, which is a damn shame since I loved Assault.

A real bad reboot on a really bad selling system didn't help.
I know it's struggled, but I'd never argue that it would've been forgotten without Smash's help.

Smash didn't really catch on until the time between Melee and Brawl, meaning that it was picking up ground around the same time Star Fox was struggling.

Relative to their time period, most Star Fox games were at most, modest successes in a financial sense, or critical failures.

Adventure is generally not liked as a game.

Assault is liked, but kind of not that well put together thanks to ground missions

Command was probably their most successful thing

Zero failed both financially and critically in Nintendo's eyes (because as it turns out, you should probably never trust Miyamoto since after Twilight Princess)

2 is part of a console mega bundle

When you actually look at how many franchises Nintendo owns, most of their stuff that was started under their belt has died/concluded/failed.

Also, there was a 10-year gap between Command and Zero.
Bad sales don't necessarily mean people forget a franchise exists. The early games should've been enough to keep Star Fox in the back of people's minds.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
What I want is for Sakurai to do a trailer that’s just animation and reveals, like, 5 characters at once, like NRS’s latest trailers. Just as hype, but takes out a lot of the leaking and speculation.
That would kill speculation though. It would live and die in a matter of minutes. And unless you're someone lucky enough to get someone you care about, you have nothing to do but hope there's another batch months down the line.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Plant may be taken hostage but Nintendo at this point if I had to guess. He was very accurate and probably a priority to shut down
Not denying that, but all because PapaGenos reported on him, this thread treated him as the Leakers Gospel for a very long time. If PapaGenos covered a leak, best belive this thread is dicussing it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That would kill speculation though. It would live and die in a matter of minutes. And unless you're someone lucky enough to get someone you care about, you have nothing to do but hope there's another batch months down the line.
I mean.... I think that’s better than leading people on and getting their hopes up for an entire year. Why waist the time on the speculation if it never pays out for you?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The biggest problem with Nintendo revealing silhouettes of the fighters or giving hints is that the fan base would literally figure it out within minutes.

It took Smash fans literally, like, a day to figure out Hero was Erdrick or at least Dragon Quest related. If they did anything like that, it would end the hype almost instantly.

Though, if the renders were made in a way that wouldn’t suggest the identity of the characters, then that’s a big ol maybe.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Alright SNK fans. Time to place your bets. Based on what we’ve gotten with the other characters, what songs do you think Terry will come with?
Soy Sauce for Geese/A Kiss for Geese
Some version of Arashi no Saxophone
Some version of OSAKA
Hopefully BIG SHOT!(Fatal Fury 3)
WILD Street(KOF 13 theme)
Terry's KOF 99 theme.
Maybe 2 newer songs from KOF 14. Preferably the South America Team and the Mexico Team songs.

We already know of Terry's theme from Fatal Fury 2 being in.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Isn’t he like, super popular though?
Both Artorias and Solaire are popular. The thing is that if they use Artorias the way he fights in his boss battle, he would be handicapped, as his left arm is outright broken and he'd be unable to grab. And another point in Solaire's favor is that he fights exactly like the player character, so in the case they don't want to use the player character, Solaire can work just as well.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The biggest problem with Nintendo revealing silhouettes of the fighters or giving hints is that the fan base would literally figure it out within minutes.

It took Smash fans literally, like, a day to figure out Hero was Erdrick or at least Dragon Quest related. If they did anything like that, it would end the hype almost instantly.

Though, if the renders were made in a way that wouldn’t suggest the identity of the characters, then that’s a big ol maybe.
What about just straight up revealing a bunch all at once?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

It's a Bandana Dee as seen from above.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

TBH most fans were saying Erdrick because of the insiders saying that he's in. I doubt he would have been brought up if the insiders didn't say anything.

Double K

Smash Lord
I know it's struggled, but I'd never argue that it would've been forgotten without Smash's help.

Smash didn't really catch on until the time between Melee and Brawl, meaning that it was picking up ground around the same time Star Fox was struggling.
Melee was the best selling GCN Game of all time and the spacies are probably the most played characters, both casually and competitively in Melee, and 64 has sold literally millions of copies. It's always been a massive success of a franchise since the start.

Bad sales don't necessarily mean people forget a franchise exists. The early games should've been enough to keep Star Fox in the back of people's minds.
No, but it means that the company would consider it dead.

Last edited:

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if he's THAT popular. I'll admit I'm not super immersed in the Dark Souls fandom, but Solaire is basically the series mascot
He’s pretty popular. Solaire has basically transcended the franchise itself, but in the context of Dark Souls he’s arguably barely less strange a choice than Artortias.

Personally I think it would be refreshing to get a boss rather than the protag, and Artorias is pretty cool.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'd just prefer Smash reveals be done the way they've always been. If you reveal all the characters at once, you're not left with much else to discuss aside from, "When will they be released?" and, "What will the side-special be?"

If you don't reveal all the characters, everyone gets to participate in the fun by supporting the characters they want.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

I mean, you're half correct.

Because what if Brave.... means that's how the character acts?

Double K

Smash Lord
I don't know if he's THAT popular. I'll admit I'm not super immersed in the Dark Souls fandom, but Solaire is basically the series mascot
Artorias' popularity is comparable within the fandom to Solaire, but the issue is that you can't make a character out of him because you'd be straying from what makes him cool in game, and also all the stuff you learn about him in-game, is mostly a big lie

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I mean.... I think that’s better than leading people on and getting their hopes up for an entire year. Why waist the time on the speculation if it never pays out for you?
Speculation is half the fun to me. Imagining what characters could be in, why they could be in, etcetera is exiting to me. If it was all done in a matter of minutes, there would be no suspence. Unless you're a fan of one of the characters, there's nothing to discuss. All you could do is listen to the lucky people list what their character can do and what they can bring.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Ah yes, the West, where characters like Terry Bogard and Erdrick are called obscure, but Geno and Isaac? Those guys are super iconic.
No, I also think they’re much more obscure than people give them credit for, especially Geno.

Shroob

Sup?
I'd just prefer Smash reveals be done the way they've always been. If you reveal all the characters at once, you're not left with much else to discuss aside from, "When will they be released?" and, "What will the side-special be?"

If you don't reveal all the characters, everyone gets to participate in the fun by supporting the characters they want.
If this is your idea of fun I'm cancelling my RSVP to your birthday party.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I don't see that as an excuse since I still think those leaks are not necessary. Plus, this is the internet. How can you not find leaks on there easily?
When Nintendo screwed up with the Castlevania music, I actually avoided that completely. If you want to avoid leaks, just temporarily unsub from leak channels and don’t go to forums, that’s all you have to do, lol

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Don’t worry, we have time. If we go through this process of leaking a character and then disconfirming the leak at least twice a day, we should be able to deduce fighter 5 through process of elimination just a day before they’re announced.
Time to get to work gang.

Zoom.jpg

Just make sure we work fast. Real fast.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Ah yes, the West, where characters like Terry Bogard and Erdrick are called obscure, but Geno and Isaac? Those guys are super iconic.
Look, we can get wrapped up in arguments involving character obscurity and likelihood all the livelong (as plenty have done before), but I think we can all agree that living in a universe where freaking Crash Bandicoot and Reimu have legitimate potential to be in the same game together is a pretty great thing to take a step back and consider. Tending to look at the bright side of discussion and think about the utterly asinine amount of nutty, impossible crossovers and series fusions that could happen in just ONE GAME is something a lot of us should appreciate more, regardless on what new fighter you're hedging your bets on. It's pretty great that all these characters are fair possibilities, and not a select few.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
When Nintendo screwed up with the Castlevania music, I actually avoided that completely. If you want to avoid leaks, just temporarily unsub from leak channels and don’t go to forums, that’s all you have to do, lol
It's still not that easy on the internet. You could still come across a leak anywhere.

Plus, I meant more subtle hints, not just silhouettes, ya know.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Speculation is half the fun to me. Imagining what characters could be in, why they could be in, etcetera is exiting to me. If it was all done in a matter of minutes, there would be no suspence. Unless you're a fan of one of the characters, there's nothing to discuss. All you could do is listen to the lucky people list what their character can do and what they can bring.
I mean. Good for you. But I know I’m not the only one who’s burnt out on speculation and would rather just get them revealed straight away.

The way I see it, there is no suspense the way they do it. Because there’s no bait. There’s no enticement. There’s nothing to narrow down your thinking. To me, it’s not particularly fun when it could be literally anything. Speculation, to me, is fun when you actually CAN figure it out. The way Nintendo does it is just... annoying. A mystery is more then just not knowing the outcome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom