• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sometimes I have to wonder what it would take for me to stop speculating Smash before the end of Ultimate. Like, I'm not going to be nearly as interested in Smash after Ultimate, because I just don't see the series outdoing this particular game. I'll buy them most likely, but I don't think I'd ever invest as much time as I have in Ultimate.

I'm a spoiled little *****, I would say. Like, I wanted RIdley, K.Rool, and more than anything for all veterans to return, most of all Snake. I got all of that, Castlevania (which I played for the first time after the reveal and freaking loved it...SOTN is one of the GOAT), Persona 5 is one of my favorite games, considering I played it after Joker was revealed...got a never ever who I denied until the reveal itself in Banjo-Kazooie.

AND WE STILL HAVE MORE DLC TO GO.

Here I am, nearly 90 unique characters in the game, yet I still have wants. I'm probably going to be seen as greedy, but eh. I'm down to keep hoping for characters that I like. I don't blame people who keep hoping...speculation can just be fun. Playing it is more fun, but talking about what's next for Smash is some of the most fun I've had over the years.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Bruh, we literally had fans saying, "What's a Castlevania?"

It's tiring and frustrating, yes. But things aren't actually going to improve if we say, "Way to not know things, bonehead! There's not learning for you, piss off!"

Have I said things like that to friends in private? Uh, yeah. Have I said that to people's faces and told them they're a waste of space? No. I come back when I'm ready and try to spread the good word, something I basically did with Resident Evil.
You know what would be great for this? Masterpieces. Just a series of timed demos accessed via temporary eShop downloads that lets you try out every series represented in the game.

Last edited:

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
Can we at least all agree that regardless of its worth as a series, Touhou is probably very unlikely to make it into Smash?

Like, it goes well beyond even Dragon Quest in terms of obscurity to the West. Which is not a bad thing by any means (The West isn't always known for great taste) but didn't Sakurai say or imply after Lucas that he would be going for characters with global recognizability?

Again, not a knock on the series. Getting into Smash is not an indication of worth (despite how some people treat it). It's just that I really don't see it happening.

Shroob

Sup?
Can we at least all agree that regardless of its worth as a series, Touhou is probably very unlikely to make it into Smash?

Like, it goes well beyond even Dragon Quest in terms of obscurity to the West. Which is not a bad thing by any means (The West isn't always known for great taste) but didn't Sakurai say or imply after Lucas that he would be going for characters with global recognizability?

Again, not a knock on the series. Getting into Smash is not an indication of worth (despite how some people treat it). It's just that I really don't see it happening.
That's a thing, wasn't that said back in Brawl?

He also said that Miis and Villager were too peaceful to fight.

Now Isabelle can get whacked in the head by Villager's axe.

It's definitely possible this trend continues but, at the same time, after FP5, there's potentially 10 more curveballs headed our way.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Be warned everyone, I’m getting reports that leaks are starting to crop up for Sw/Sh.

If you’re a leak dodger, now is the time to RUN!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Be warned everyone, I’m getting reports that leaks are starting to crop up for Sw/Sh.

If you’re a leak dodger, now is the time to RUN!
No need! People just need to be calm and learn not to go near the leaks and avoid them. This is done by-Oh heck with it! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
A-are you just saying that or have you seen some stuff?

(Use spoilers if you have to share any links, info, etc. please)
I’ve seen things, though considering the source is apparently Sabi’s Discord, I’m calling BS. That said, those not looking at leaks should run.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The "anything can happen" philosophy goes similarly like the idea that "Sakurai is a madman" and makes completely random choices. Frankly, he doesn't. He only makes random choices based on what the fanbase thinks makes the most sense. Are there surprises? Sure. But it's not nearly as "ZOMG" as people make it out to be going forward.

Was Joker a surprise? Yes. Hero? Not really. Banjo? Sure, but in hindsight signs were there. Terry? I guess, though SNK is another new company to Smash, has plenty of clout in the FGC, and is influential to the growth of fighting game mechanics. It's also an early love of Sakurai's, being the origin of Smash moves like dodge rolling and what not.

Part of me just feels like we're making this overly complicated. If we get 5 more picks, chances are it'll be another mix of old and new characters from a variety of games. However at least two of these picks are legacy picks, one is newer, while one is owned by a 3rd party, but is effectively a Nintendo character.

IF we get an entire Season 2, I would argue that at least 2-3 of those characters will be from the following series:

Resident Evil, Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, Devil May Cry, Okami, Ace Attorney, Ninja Gaiden, DOOM, Elder Scrolls...there are others, but my brain isn't quite up to the task.

Like, it's ok to consider stuff as "not happening". Dante is out for FP 1. Crash is out. Hayabusa is evidently out. Reimu is out. Tracer is out. It's ok to narrow those things down, and that's part of the fun. It doesn't mean to say, "Hey STOP TALKING ABOUT CRASH. HE CAN'T GET IN". It's more of, well if Crash isn't in now, he can get in later. So I wonder who fighter 5 is...

Whatever. Smash has a weird speculation culture to it imo. Like, value or validity is based on getting a playable spot and nothing else matters. If you ain't playable, you're just not good enough. That is probably the most toxic thing of all.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The "anything can happen" philosophy goes similarly like the idea that "Sakurai is a madman" and makes completely random choices. Frankly, he doesn't. He only makes random choices based on what the fanbase thinks makes the most sense. Are there surprises? Sure. But it's not nearly as "ZOMG" as people make it out to be going forward.

Was Joker a surprise? Yes. Hero? Not really. Banjo? Sure, but in hindsight signs were there. Terry? I guess, though SNK is another new company to Smash, has plenty of clout in the FGC, and is influential to the growth of fighting game mechanics. It's also an early love of Sakurai's, being the origin of Smash moves like dodge rolling and what not.

Part of me just feels like we're making this overly complicated. If we get 5 more picks, chances are it'll be another mix of old and new characters from a variety of games. However at least two of these picks are legacy picks, one is newer, while one is owned by a 3rd party, but is effectively a Nintendo character.

IF we get an entire Season 2, I would argue that at least 2-3 of those characters will be from the following series:

Resident Evil, Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, Devil May Cry, Okami, Ace Attorney, Ninja Gaiden, DOOM, Elder Scrolls...there are others, but my brain isn't quite up to the task.

Like, it's ok to consider stuff as "not happening". Dante is out for FP 1. Crash is out. Hayabusa is evidently out. Reimu is out. Tracer is out. It's ok to narrow those things down, and that's part of the fun. It doesn't mean to say, "Hey STOP TALKING ABOUT CRASH. HE CAN'T GET IN". It's more of, well if Crash isn't in now, he can get in later. So I wonder who fighter 5 is...

Whatever. Smash has a weird speculation culture to it imo. Like, value or validity is based on getting a playable spot and nothing else matters. If you ain't playable, you're just not good enough. That is probably the most toxic thing of all.
Just wondering: What evidence is there for Ryu Hayabusa being out?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
What evidence is there for Crash or Reimu either? I never got an answer.
First with Hayabusa and Crash, Sabi’s NOA source (the one who knew about Terry) said not to back those characters. Thus everyone believes they’re out.

Reimu is a bit trickier. There was a sketch that claimed to be from 17.5. But that sketch was actually based on a Twitter from someone else.
However this particular bit of info isn’t actually a deconfirmation since the leaker actually never claimed it was a leak or from 17.5.
In short, Reimu is not dead.
That said, the leaker is someone mostly known in Doujin circles so still, cautiousness is good, smugness is not.

D

Deleted member

Trading Card Game.
Did someone say trading card game!
1571710937119.png

(I literally only want to make this joke. See ya in a few days/weeks!)
(also that isn't me, I'm too lazy to take irl pictures lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom