• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
>Has gone on record saying they don't like surprise picks

>"Oh but I love Piranha Plant."

At this point, why not just admit "3rd party bad" and not dance around it? :dr^_^:
Piranha Plant was the first of many suprise characters. If it were revealed as a character later in the pass after Joker, Hero, and Terry, I'd probably be more critical. Maybe not as critical as I've been with Terry and Reimu, but critical nonetheless.

Honestly, you get too defensive over third-parties sometimes. It's okay for someone to not jump for joy over literally EVERY possible third-party that gets brought up.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Since it's that time of the year, here's a fun and simple question that isn't Smash related: what are some of all of you folks' favorite Horror movies?

I know the genre doesn't appeal to all, but surely everyone here has seen a few by this point, if not many more, like I have; didn't expect a guy with a username and title like mine to not enjoy Horror, did you? Haha!

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Piranha Plant was the first of many suprise characters. If it were revealed as a character later in the pass after Joker, Hero, and Terry, I'd probably be more critical. Maybe not as critical as I've been with Terry and Reimu, but critical nonetheless.

Honestly, you get too defensive over third-parties sometimes. It's okay for someone to not jump joy over literally EVERY possible third-party that gets brought up.
I mean, look in a mirror bud.

I kinda already explained how a 'lot' of people see you. :dr^_^:

It's fine to not like 3rd parties and want 1st parties, but when you constantly complain, it gets tiring, and after that one who must never be named and his stance on 3rd parties, it's very difficult to take "Ick 3rd party"-like people 100% seriously.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Since it's that time of the year, here's a fun and simple question that isn't Smash related: what are some of all of you folks' favorite Horror movies?

I know the genre doesn't appeal to all, but surely everyone here has seen a few by this point if not many more (like myself; didn't expect a guy with a username and title like mine to not enjoy Horror, did you? Haha.).
The Emoji Movie

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know the genre doesn't appeal to all, but surely everyone here has seen a few by this point, if not many more, like I have; didn't expect a guy with a username and title like mine to not enjoy Horror, did you? Haha!
There are a lot of horror movies I love but I just gotta go with The Thing.
It manages to build up a sense of tension and paranoia through the entire movie like no other has ever really managed, and the practical effects have aged incredibly well for something that came out in the early 1980s

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

The Fly (1986) still creeps the **** out of me to this very day.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870

The Shining is my favorite horror movie of all time atm.

It creeps out the viewer wonderfully. Does horror right, as in not resorting to jump scares and uses cinematography nicely. Characters are also well-written and memorable too. Acting is special too.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
FINALLY maxed out on Gears 5, so I can move onto a new game now. Really wish I was more willing to play more than one game at a time aside from Smash. Like, I'd like to be at a point where I don't have a massive backlog and could just say, "**** it, I'm playing Gears today. Then maybe I'll hop on Smash with some friends tonight, or maybe something else", rather than focusing on the next game.

Oh well. Not sure what to play next. Was planning on starting Dragon Quest XIS, but I'd play that for like a week and a half, then get Luigi's Mansion, THEN get Terry dropped in Smash, THEN get Pokemon, so we'd be looking at like a month hiatus.

Seriously. Good problem to have, but bruh. I need to get some games done before March...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, look in a mirror bud.

I kinda already explained how a 'lot' of people see you. :dr^_^:

It's fine to not like 3rd parties and want 1st parties, but when you constantly complain, it gets tiring, and after that one who must never be named and his stance on 3rd parties, it's very difficult to take "Ick 3rd party"-like people 100% seriously.
Except there's a difference between complaining about all third-parties and having a taste for particular ones. I've already expressed an interest in Steve and even a Fortnite rep just because of how wildly popular their franchises have been in recent years.

I'm entitled to an opinion. If my "constant complaining" bothers you that much, just ignore me. You don't need to step in and intervene whenever I post something that's doesn't involve me fawning over whatever character is being discussed in the thread at any given moment.

D

Deleted member

Shhhh

There was a problem fetching the tweet

She's sleeping
I should be sleeping too, but my mother had a stroke earlier which she thankfully got over with through my help.

Now I can’t sleep due to fear.

Shroob

Sup?
Except there's a difference between complaining about all third-parties and having a taste for particular ones. I've already expressed an interest in Steve and even a Fortnite rep just because of how wildly popular their franchises have been in recent years.

I'm entitled to an opinion. If my "constant complaining" bothers you that much, just ignore me. You don't need to step in and intervene whenever I post something that's doesn't involve me fawning over whatever character is being discussed in the thread at any given moment.
You're entitled to your opinion

But damn, you're the king of buzzkill's is all I'm gonna say.

Let people have their fun. I don't even think this is likely, but I'm not gonna staunchly stand against it. Sometimes, it's fun putting yourself in the shoes of others and seeing the way they think. It's fine to be cautious, but like, if you're not willing to accept the insanity, what fun is there in speculation?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
There are a lot of horror movies I love but I just gotta go with The Thing.
It manages to build up a sense of tension and paranoia through the entire movie like no other has ever really managed, and the practical effects have aged incredibly well for something that came out in the early 1980s
Excellent pick. The Thing's one of my own favorites. John Carpenter's work is simply fantastic.

I'd say more but you pretty much summed it up perfectly. Few other movies had built up paranoia and suspense like The Thing has. As for the effects, I fully concur on that front, too. It's a testament to what you can really do using just practical effects. It makes me want to see them in modern movies much more often, I might love animation in general, but loading up movies with CGI for nearly every special effect isn't necessarily a good thing. I think the a lot of people working in the movie industry today have forgotten how much potential practical effects really have.

The Fly (1986) still creeps the **** out of me to this very day.
That's one I still need to watch.

I've only seen bits and pieces of it, but based on what I've seen, I can more than understand why it haunts you even now.

The Shining is my favorite horror movie of all time atm.

It creeps out the viewer wonderfully. Does horror right, as in not resorting to jump scares and uses cinematography nicely. Characters are also well-written and memorable too. Acting is special too.
Another excellent choice. Stanley Kubrick was another outstanding director, and it shows in his films like The Shining.

I do kinda wish the character of Jack Torrence had more of an anti-villain vibe dealing with paranoia and inner-struggles like he was in the original book, but the lack of still doesn't really bog down the film much, if at all. Jack Nicholson's excellent and downright chilling performance helps. The movie is, in my opinion, one of cinema's most disturbing and frightening, and as you pointed out, it does it all without the abundance of jumpscares you see in almost every other Horror movie. It's great.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You're entitled to your opinion

But damn, you're the king of buzzkill's is all I'm gonna say.

Let people have their fun. I don't even think this is likely, but I'm not gonna staunchly stand against it. Sometimes, it's fun putting yourself in the shoes of others and seeing the way they think. It's fine to be cautious, but like, if you're not willing to accept the insanity, what fun is there in speculation?
Well, if you want to talk about who's being a buzzkill, we could gladly bring up the National Dex again. You're not that different in that regard from me and Smash.

What I want in Smash doesn't reflect what you want. What you want in SwSh doesn't reflect what I want. That's perfectly fine. Everyone's different, and we should be able share both positive and negative opinions without either side having an almost instinctive need to reply with reasons why the opposing side is wrong. I'm guilty of this too, especially when it comes to SwSh. There's areas where we could both use improvement.

And I'll just leave it at that since it's late and I haven't ate anything since this morning. My day has been hectic.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, if you want to talk about who's being a buzzkill, we could gladly bring up the National Dex again. You're not that different in that regard from me and Smash.

What I want in Smash doesn't reflect what you want. What you want in SwSh doesn't reflect what I want. That's perfectly fine. Everyone's different, and we should be able share both positive and negative opinions without either side having an almost instinctive need to reply with reasons why the opposing side is wrong. I'm guilty of this too, especially when it comes to SwSh. There's areas where we could both use improvement.

And I'll just leave it at that since it's late and I haven't ate anything since this morning. My day has been hectic.
The difference here is, as I've said countless times:

"I'm not happy about the Nat Dex, but unless you instigate it, I won't say anything. My unhappiness shouldn't bring down people who are happy." The only time I actually struck was.... well, that's when you posted a comic making fun of unhappy folks, was it not?

I may not be happy about how Gamefreak's handling SwSd, but I'd much rather see people like Noipoi excited than drag them down with an old man's unhappiness.

And that's how I am with Smash.

Did I want Terry? Nah

Am I ecstatic for Terry's fans? Hell yeah I am.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

LEGO is making its own Super Smash Bros game for Apple Arcade:

No licensed properties doh.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
For me, my personal favorite Horror movie is John Carpenter's Halloween.

It was made a insanely low budget, but aside from a few minor special effect failures, the film holds up to this day. It's arguably the best Slasher movie out there, and it's certainly among the best Horror movies in general. There's a reason why there was a sudden significant rise in Slasher movies following Halloween's release.

Ivander

Smash Legend

I really haven't seen alot of horror films. While I've seen clips from a bunch of horror movies, I have seen next to no horror films aside from a few. The only ones I can remember are:
-The original Mummy movie of the 1930s
-Godzilla, the original 1951 version(if that counts, as that was definitely more horror rather than monster movie at the time)
-The first Saw, which I liked alot for being a good mix of both horror and mystery movie, which compared to horror I have seen a whole lot of movies.
-The first Tremors movie.
-Jurassic Park can kinda count if you count the later half.
-I can't remember the name, but it was a Korean film about a giant monster that also had a bit where America treated it as a chemical thing when it wasn't.
-Depending on how you view them, I guess Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein and Meet the Killer Boris Karloff work too.
-Same as above, you could also count Little Shop of Horrors, depending on whether you count it as horror or a comedy musical.

Otherwise, as a kid, I had a huge aversion to horror films for two reasons.
-One was for being autistic. I was not used to alot of things horror films did like blood and gore and whatnot, so I was always not keen to the idea of seeing people murdered in gruesome ways on-screen.
-The other is also related to the above, but it was transformations and change. I could not absolutely stand seeing people change into monsters and I would always be terrified. My parents at one point tried to show me Evil Dead II, due to it being a horror comedy, but I would not sit through because of the people changing into the monsters.
This especially worsened when by accident, during watching TV, I saw the Superman Animated Series episode that had the Cthulhu-like villain and the scene where he transformed a bunch of other people into his own kind and it absolutely scarred me. And while I have managed to get used to horror stuff later in life when getting older and have now become more used to horror elements, the scar from that scene is still with me.

So I really haven't seen a whole lot of horror films. I have seen clips from some of the more popular ones like Alien, Predator, Jaws, etc, but never the full movies. Most of the horror stuff I've seen, played and gotten into are from video games rather than films. Resident Evil. Silent Hill. Dino Crisis. Outlast. Amnesia. SCP. Etc. And I even enjoy alot of the gothic horror-style games, like Castlevania and Bloodborne.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The difference here is, as I've said countless times:

"I'm not happy about the Nat Dex, but unless you instigate it, I won't say anything. My unhappiness shouldn't bring down people who are happy." The only time I actually struck was.... well, that's when you posted a comic making fun of unhappy folks, was it not?

I may not be happy about how Gamefreak's handling SwSd, but I'd much rather see people like Noipoi excited than drag them down with an old man's unhappiness.

And that's how I am with Smash.

Did I want Terry? Nah

Am I ecstatic for Terry's fans? Hell yeah I am.
No, there have been more than a few times when you complained about the National Dex and other things related to SwSh, even when no one else was.

I'm just gonna vent and

So.... EXP share is permanently on from the sound of it?

Basically killing off Nuzlockes?

I was upset about the whole National Dex fiasco but whatever

But they themselves said that Let's GO was made for the casual fans and the next series would be for the veterans.

And yet here we are again, people who have been playing the game for decades now unable to not be handheld...
And then just recently I tried to show everyone that Game Freak was listening to feedback from the fans in some regards by allowing you to skip tutorials and face higher level Pokemon, to which you basically responded with, "Cool, but EXP share can't be turned off, so no big deal." You felt the need to say something, even though the general consensus was that those changes were good.

If you don't think you're instigating anything when you say something about EXP share, then I don't see why you should have an issue with me thinking Reimu would be an underwhelming addition. Both are opinions that don't really need a follow-up.

Really trying to meet you halfway here, but it seems like you're only willing to acknowledge my problems and not your own.

Shroob

Sup?
No, there have been more than a few times when you complained about the National Dex and other things related to SwSh, even when no one else was.

And then just recently I tried to show everyone that Game Freak was listening to feedback from the fans in some regards by allowing you to skip tutorials and face higher level Pokemon, to which you basically responded with, "Cool, but EXP share can't be turned off, so no big deal." You felt the need to say something, even though the general consensus was that those changes were good.

If you don't think you're instigating anything when you say something about EXP share, then I don't see why you should have an issue with me thinking Reimu would be an underwhelming addition. Both are opinions that don't really need a follow-up.

Really trying to meet you halfway here, but it seems like you're only willing to acknowledge my problems and not your own.
Correct.

But as the day went on and more news came out, I got progressively more excited and was even clamoring that "Fans that aren't happy and fans that are are meeting in the middle."

This is assuming you're talking about the day of the rumor discussion.

Am I still upset about the EXP share? Yeah, ngl, but if the rumor is true and the difficulty's actually balanced around it now, then that's at the very least good to hear.

I do admit that I've been down on some aspects of SwSd.... but at the same time, I don't think anyone can deny that their marketing has been ass. The rumor 'actually' made me excited since it seemed to fix a lot of issues that Gamefreak had either ignored or made seem worse.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Now that I realize it, I’ve watched very few horror movies in my life, I’m kind of a chicken haha. I don’t think I’ll ever be too much of a fan of the genre, but it’s important for me to step outside my comfort zone.

So what would you all recommend for some horror movies to watch this Halloween season? I’m planning on finally sitting down and watching the Shining this year, but what other movies do you all think are a must watch or a good choice for someone that is usually horror averse?

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

I've only watched Predator, Terminator, T2, and the first Alien film. Do any of those count? I enjoyed them.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

I can never pick just one horror movie:

The first Insidious
Both Conjuring movies
Poltergeist
The Blair Witch Project
It Follows

As for horror parodies/Halloween themed movies:
Happy Death Day
The Scream Series
Halloweentown 1 and 2
The Halloween Tree
Cabin In The Woods
Donnie Darko
Zombieland
What We Do In The Shadows
Shaun Of The Dead

I may have missed something.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Nothing like binge watching regular show at 1am in the morning.

Having a nap earlier has kept me up later than usual, and I'm having so much fun lol

D

Deleted member

As dlc continues it’s posible to have more than 1 rep from that company,game type(indie for example),and country.
Like we can posibly have another square rep like geno if the mii thing ends up true(spirits barier broken)
Another western character like crash bandicoot who will complete the 90s rivalry

As for indie reps with reimu being likley all of a sudden she would be indie rep #1 however her getting in dosent mean it hurts their chances it proves that indies can become fighters if reimu can apeeal indies in the east then the other who originated in America can apeeal to the west. That’s how I see it. Although I see her more of a zun rep

I could be wrong but multiple reps is somthing to keep in mind

Shroob

Sup?
I'll believe Reimu when I see it.

I absolutely do not think she's FP5, but she totally could come as one of our 'other' DLC characters past the Fighter's Pass.

Though, won't lie. If Reimu gets into the FP as the 5th character, I'll probably laugh my soul out how much of a dark horse 4 and 5 ended up being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom