• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We also got Ridley, aka "Captain America" as Japan put it.

You kinda assume that we're the target demographic.

We're not. Nintendo may treat us better than other Japanese companies treat their West playerbase, but if you held a gun to their head, they'd always put Japan first.
If Nintendo is a business that looks at everything in terms of, "What will make us a profit?", then the West is absolutely the target audience when it comes to Smash. That's part of the reason Iwata begged Sakurai to make not only Smash Wii U/3DS, but also Ultimate. Nintendo knows how much it can drive sales for a console overseas.

Regardless, my orginal point about Reimu still stands. Nintendo could end up choosing her just for the heck of having another Japanese icon, but I really don't think that's what they had in mind with any of these characters. Aside from Banjo who was genuinely just an act of good will for the fanbase, every character in this pass has felt like a step toward something bigger, like an attempt to get Persona on Nintendo consoles or aiding SE promote their latest DQ game - a series that historically does best on Nintendo consoles.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
About music, if Smash had music from video game TV shows, like those starring characters in the game playable already, what would you want?

Something like this?

Or this?

Or this?

Personally, I would want this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpBVlZzHTt0
The Persona animes and movies have some banger tunes, despite some of them being of... questionable quality.
My favorite has to be P3's final movie which really does feel like the ULTIMATE version of the song "Burn My Bread".

Not going to go for the embed because I don't wanna inconvenience users who have trouble loading them.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Allright, may as well start a discussion because mah thread slow:
What's your opinion on Ring Fit Adventure so far?
View attachment 242874
I can unironically say that I want the RFA trainer as a character in Smash.

The game looks fun though. Might pick it up in the holiday season when I need to burn some calories the most.

Prepare yourselves for when Challenger Pack 5 is the most hype newcomer of all!

GOOIGI.
You joke, but I'd actually be down with that. It'd give us an opportunity to get a Luigi who does more with the Poltergust.

Or he could just be an alt added for free. Gooigi could work as a number of different things.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
About music, if Smash had music from video game TV shows, like those starring characters in the game playable already, what would you want?

Something like this?

Or this?

Or this?

Personally, I would want this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpBVlZzHTt0
The Pokémon theme deserves to be the first in that category, it’s so iconic to the series as a whole.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I feel like this song deserves a place among the other legendary tracks included in Smash:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Okay. So since all the Awakening characters have their own unique victory theme, and since Corrin has his own, and since any Three Houses character will probably have it's own victory theme as well, can Roy and Ike get unique victory themes based on their own games too?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
EVO Grand Finals, Pokemon Stadium 2 It's quiet, and then.....

"I WANNA BE THE VERY BEST....LIKE NO ONE EVER WAAAAS!"

But for other songs, if we can get Electronic Communication and Wild FANG from MM8 and MMX8. That'd be clean too.

And the Character Select Rap from 3rd Strike too.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Honestly, for the first indie character in Smash, Reimu is the most sensible choice, imo.

At this point, maybe I'll finally play a Touhou game, lol.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Okay. So since all the Awakening characters have their own unique victory theme, and since Corrin has his own, and since any Three Houses character will probably have it's own victory theme as well, can Roy and Ike get unique victory themes based on their own games too?
Yes, Jesus Christ, I've been asking for this for so long.

I think it's incredibly biased to give Corrin and Robin brand new victory theme songs and not do the same for Roy and Ike, especially when Roy's canonical "Victory theme song" is already in the game.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Allright, may as well start a discussion because mah thread slow:
What's your opinion on Ring Fit Adventure so far?
View attachment 242874
HOLLUP, THAT GAME'S ALREADY OUT?!

NINTENDO, WHY MUST YOU BE SO BAD AT MARKETING ANYTHING THAT ISN'T MARIO, ZELDA, OR SMASH?!

THIS IS WHY YOUR FRANCHISE STARTERS TEND TO FLOP!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, for the first indie character in Smash, Reimu is the most sensible choice, imo.

At this point, maybe I'll finally play a Touhou game, lol.
Sensible? Nah I beg to differ, honestly.
While I hate to admit this, considering Toby Fox's ties to Nintendo via Gamefreak, seems pretty likely(to me at least) that an Undertale character(s, possibly?) would be more sensible than Obscure Waifu-bullet hell over here.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Considering Touhou has the budget of 3 stale graham crackers, it's safe to assume it's all text.
So since it's all text, and there's so little of it, it would be incredibly easy to quick localize a handful of them and plunk em on the eshop so western players can get the full experience.

Shroob

Sup?
If Nintendo is a business that looks at everything in terms of, "What will make us a profit?", then the West is absolutely the target audience when it comes to Smash. That's part of the reason Iwata begged Sakurai to make not only Smash Wii U/3DS, but also Ultimate. Nintendo knows how much it can drive sales for a console overseas.

Regardless, my orginal point about Reimu still stands. Nintendo could end up choosing her just for the heck of having another Japanese icon, but I really don't think that's what they had in mind with any of these characters. Aside from Banjo who was genuinely just an act of good will for the fanbase, every character in this pass has felt like a step toward something bigger, like an attempt to get Persona on Nintendo consoles or aiding SE promote their latest DQ game - a series that historically does best on Nintendo consoles.
It absolutely can.

But I view this completely differently.

Again, I don't even think Reimu's in(The Fighter's Pass at least, seperate DLC is a whole different ballgame), but I'm not willing to shoot down something 'just because I don't think it's likely/makes sense."

It's fine to be cautious in speculation, but where's the fun if you doubt everything that you see 100% without even trying to dig a bit deeper? Closing yourself off to new ideas is 'the' fun part of speculation. Terry, Joker and Hero were NOT on my radar when it came to DLC predictions, and there's still a handful of characters I'd have more, but the 'fun', at least to me, doesn't come from seeing them, it's the discussion around them and the build up to their potential reveals.

You might want a character "Because this is a character I want"

I want characters "Because it'd make their underdog fanbases happy"

Like I said before many times, Ultimate was already 'perfect', so ANY DLC we got was icing on the cake to me. To try to stomp on someone's most wanted just because you don't see them as likely just sucks the fun out of speculation and ngl it's a reason I kinda dread seeing you post here at times.

Last edited:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Sensible? Nah I beg to differ, honestly.
While I hate to admit this, considering Toby Fox's ties to Nintendo via Gamefreak, seems pretty likely(to me at least) that an Undertale character(s, possibly?) would be more sensible than Obscure Waifu-bullet hell over here.
It's sensible because Touhou has been around for 20 years, and one man has been making each major installment. And the amount of fan content it's gotten is staggering. It's a quintessential indie game, ergo, it makes sense as the first indie fighter.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
tbf not many people would be getting this anyways
Wasn't Wii Fit a massive success? I feel like that would be an odd assumption of Nintendo to make if that was the case.

D

Deleted member

It's sensible because Touhou has been around for 20 years, and one man has been making each major installment. And the amount of fan content it's gotten is staggering. It's a quintessential indie game, ergo, it makes sense as the first indie fighter.
Again, I beg to differ.
The fact that it's so old doesn't mean it sensible, in fact I think it actually makes the idea worse!(and don't even get me started on the obscurity)

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’m pretty meh on Reimu.

I’ll admit that it has a large influence in Japan with a large legacy and could introduce a new franchise and group to Smash, and it would be kinda funny to see Reimu sending a barrage of bullets on the battlefield

However, I feel Touhou’s obscurity at least here is pretty offputting. It’s not like Hero or Terry where Dragon Quest and SNK had at least a bit of notoriety in other regions that makes introducing them more appealing. From what I’m aware, Touhou is obscure around here and is almost entirely Japanese based.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say that they are the worst per @Cosmic77’s opinion. I’m pretty sure Reimu would still do well and at least have place remembered in Smash history, but I feel her obscurity is on a different level here, and it’s why I personally wouldn’t be much of a fan.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So since it's all text, and there's so little of it, it would be incredibly easy to quick localize a handful of them and plunk em on the eshop so western players can get the full experience.
Yup.

Which is what many many fan translators have been doing for about 2 decades now.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Wasn't Wii Fit a massive success? I feel like that would be an odd assumption of Nintendo to make if that was the case.
yeah but RFA probably isn't something that they want to do a big marketing drive over

the target audience probably wouldn't even see the marketing

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yup.

Which is what many many fan translators have been doing for about 2 decades now.
That's not official though.

I'm sorry, but any time I see an unlicenced fan game I'm nervous about engaging with it because it's a violation of copyright law. Fangames are against the law, even if the creator is chill with it.

D

Deleted member

tfw you start a debate that goes on for multiple pages, but you don't care about the subject at all:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I’m pretty meh on Reimu.

I’ll admit that it has a large influence in Japan with a large legacy and could introduce a new franchise and group to Smash, and it would be kinda funny to see Reimu sending a barrage of bullets on the battlefield

However, I feel Touhou’s obscurity at least here is pretty offputting. It’s not like Hero or Terry where Dragon Quest and SNK had at least a bit in other regions that makes introducing them more appealing. From what I’m aware, Touhou is obscure around here and is almost entirely Japanese based.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say that they are the worst per @Cosmic77’s opinion. I’m pretty sure Reimu would still do well and at least be remembered considering in Smash history, but I feel her obscurity is on a different level here.
If you don't mind me asking, who would you consider to be the worst DLC character if it's not Reimu (If she actually got in)?

I'm asking assuming you can order them from most to least favorite, not just saying that they're all your favorite or something similar to that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom