• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
If being the first Indie character is the most notable thing about Reimu, then there were plenty of more recognizable characters who could've accomplished the same thing.

And like I said before, people could barely talk about Terry the day he was revealed because all the attention was on a Mii costume. Like Reimu, Terry has existed for almost 30 years, and if he struggled to stay relevant in conversation, then I HIGHLY doubt Reimu would fare much better. She's not widely known in the West, and there's not much you can do to disprove that.
You're right, I cant disprove that

But why does that matter? Last I checked, Nintendo's Japanese.

We get thrown a bone every now and then, but us westerners are the secondary market.

D

Deleted member

If being the first Indie character is the most notable thing about Reimu, then there were plenty of more recognizable characters who could've accomplished the same thing.
You called?
Mettaton.gif

MettatonEX.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
The Touhou fandom has always been very insular and self-contained, since Embodiment Of A Scarlet Devil first got popular on the western internet. From then, it’s been fairly isolated, but don’t let that fool you into thinking it’s an unpopular series.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Touhou's not that unpopular, though it is by far the most reliant on fan-content than any franchise in Smash, or well, any franchise on the planet, period. Practically.
Like, the two pieces of content people are most exposed to is
A fan animated Music Video with 24 Million views
and
A fan remix of a character theme with 15 million views
Compare that with, say, Terry Bogard's most popular video which is a Spanish retrospective of Terry's games (1.6 million).
using YouTube as a basis for these kinds of things is like...not a good metric. These characters/franchises don't exist in a vacuum, lol

Smooth Criminal

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
using YouTube as a basis for these kinds of things is like...not a good metric. These characters/franchises don't exist in a vacuum, lol

Smooth Criminal
Right, right, of course, I agree completely.
I'm not going to say that it's a indicator of widespread popularity.

I'm just trying to say that "Hey! People know it exists!" even if only at a very surface level.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

And like I said before, people could barely talk about Terry the day he was revealed because all the attention was on a Mii costume. Like Reimu, Terry has existed for almost 30 years, and if he struggled to stay relevant in conversation, then I HIGHLY doubt Reimu would fare much better. She's not widely known in the West, and there's not much you can do to disprove that.
I mean, her inclusion would make /v/ completely implode on itself, if that is something you’d really want to see

D

Deleted member

Those two aren't even the most recognizable/memorable characters from their own game.
I'm not going to start this argument again.
Let's just say, I have my own personal vendetta against Frisk as a DLC pick, and end it at that, okay?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You're right, I cant disprove that

But why does that matter? Last I checked, Nintendo's Japanese.

We get thrown a bone every now and then, but us westerners are the secondary market.
If a majority of Nintendo's consumers, particularly the ones who bough Ultimate, are from the West, then it would stand to reason that you'd try adding more characters that would appeal to the West (or at the very least, try adding characters that are popular in multiple regions.

I get that you're fine with whatever, but you're acting like consumer opinion doesn't matter. We got Banjo, so everything should be hunky-dorey. Japan takes priority.

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
I mean, her inclusion would make /v/ completely implode on itself, if that is something you’d really want to see
If Reimu was added the entire Touhou fanbase would implode in on itself lol. Wouldn’t be able to handle that many new people coming into such a self-contained fandom all at once.

Shroob

Sup?
If a majority of Nintendo's consumers, particularly the ones who bough Ultimate, are from the West, then it would stand to reason that you'd try adding more characters that would appeal to the West (or at the very least, try adding characters that are popular in multiple regions.

I get that you're fine with whatever, but you're acting like consumer opinion doesn't matter. We got Banjo, so everything should be hunky-dorey. Japan takes priority.
We also got Ridley, aka "Captain America" as Japan put it.

You kinda assume that we're the target demographic.

We're not. Nintendo may treat us better than other Japanese companies treat their West playerbase, but if you held a gun to their head, they'd always put Japan first.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, Reimu definitely isn’t unique in that regard, but it stands out for her in particular to me just cause of how weird and unique other Touhou characters’ powers can get.
I also would have liked Rugal a bit more than Terry but it is what it is.
But if you play Rugal, we'll have to call you a ***** for picking a boss character. We don't need Genocide cutter dealing like 80% of damage.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If Reimu was added the entire Touhou fanbase would implode in on itself lol. Wouldn’t be able to handle that many new people coming into such a self-contained fandom all at once.
Imagine people having to explain the powers to new fans.

It'd be like people trying to explain Kingdom hearts lore to people who've never heard of it.

And the explanation will devolve until it's the fans just arguing to each other about which interpretation of the writer's bull**** is correct.

D

Deleted member

Still more likely to happen, didn’t say you had to like it.
That wasn't my point in the original debate I had a couple 100 pages back.
My point then was that Frisk is, literally speaking, an empty shell, with very little moveset potential.

I really can't see how Frisk would even work, honestly.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Honestly, the only thing I'm really iffy on is the song selection.

I know Sakurai/Nintendo likes their "niche" songs and "weird" songs to remix, looking at you Castlevania and Persona, but the selection here feels like it's missing a few popular character themes while using some more niche and obscure themes, even for Touhou fan standards.

Then again, we didn't get Megaman X's Central Highway till Smash 4 so who knows.
In that case, Smash 4 exclusively had Classic Mega Man era music. So when they finally did branch out, Central Highway was the very first one we heard.

Like, if Street Fighter branched out of SF2 music, I think Jazzy NYC would be the first track they'd go with, or one of them.

Shroob

Sup?
Again, I don't believe this.

But I find it interesting to discuss without feeling the need of shooting it down instantly.

D

Deleted member

Allright, may as well start a discussion because mah thread slow:
What's your opinion on Ring Fit Adventure so far?
1571621385511.png

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’m actually kinda surprised nobody has asked Verg about Reimu yet.

As I said, I will reserve further judgment until a Smash leaker says it’s happening. While I would likely gripe for a moment and get over it, I will simply say that it would be an oddball pick compared to the rest of the pass, and would go directly against what Sakurai said about Lucas and Takamaru previously, in that their exclusivity to Japan made them less desirable than other options.

This leak just seems...off. Not sure what it is. There’s been a leak storm the last few days, and for everything to come out at once seems like everybody trying to get their piece of the action. I’ll just reserve judgment for now, but...I don’t believe it. I guess that’s not reserving judgement, but I guess I’m not ruling it out, while also not believing it? I don’t know, lol.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
The thing I am surprised about the Touhou leak is that the user namedropped the doujin circle who is supposedly working on music for the Smash collaboration. That's a recipe for getting the Nintendo ninjas involved if it is actually true.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nintendo may treat us better than other Japanese companies treat their West playerbase
Totally unrelated but Capcom seems to like us well enough. A lot of their recent games seem as catered to the west as they are to everybody else.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Isn't Touhou a bullet hell game?

How exactly would Reimu play in a game like Smash bros? I'm genuinely curious.

would it be like a Captain Falcon Star Fox situation or is there some precedence to this?

Last edited:

BlueMonk

Smash Champion

As I said, I will reserve further judgment until a Smash leaker says it’s happening. While I would likely gripe for a moment and get over it, I will simply say that it would be an oddball pick compared to the rest of the pass, and would go directly against what Sakurai said about Lucas and Takamaru previously, in that their exclusivity to Japan made them less desirable than other options.

This leak just seems...off. Not sure what it is. There’s been a leak storm the last few days, and for everything to come out at once seems like everybody trying to get their piece of the action. I’ll just reserve judgment for now, but...I don’t believe it. I guess that’s not reserving judgement, but I guess I’m not ruling it out, while also not believing it? I don’t know, lol.
Verg's last post was five days ago on a thread called "Is Erik Gay?" so I think it will be awhile until we see his take on this

I don't think he's even said anything about Jonesy or Crash yet

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Again, I don't believe this.

But I find it interesting to discuss without feeling the need of shooting it down instantly.
Agreed. I mostly know the characters from MUGEN/Salty Bet videos. So while I don't particularly care about the character whatsoever, I can see the appeal since it's been around for a while.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
One thing's for sure, if Reimu is a very projectile-heavy character, a Hero with Bounce would be a major nightmare.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
They probably have asked considering how many rabid Twitter smash fans there are.
Verge probably biding his time waiting to strike us with whatever bombshell he has.
Or more likely a "I'm not sure, my sources don't say anythingabout it."

Isn't Touhou a bullet hell game?

How exactly would Reimu play in a game like Smash bros? I'm genuinely curious.

would it be like a Captain Falcon Star Fox situation or is there some precedence to this?
BEHOLD
You've got 2 options: Air Reimu, or Ground Reimu

Basically, you're going to be dealing with a lot of traps, projectiles, stick smacking, kicks, yin-yang symbolism and all around mystic bull****.

If I had to give her a gimmick, she'd probably have a "bomb" spell card that lets her do an "all-or-nothing" attack once per stock and also a mechanic where she gets stronger by beating up the opponent and getting stat boosters from them upgrading her projectiles like in the game.

Oh also, she was a boss-fight in a recent spin-off game featuring the time-stop knife maid. She's cool in that one too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom