• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
So here's what I'm thinking.

I think it's possible that Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, and/or Reimu are in play for Smash DLC. However, I think it should be noted that Hayabusa has been in Smash Ultimate leaks since literally the earliest leaks of Doom Slayer in Smash. Every single leak he has shown up in has been shafted and thrown into the trash that is the fake leak bin.

I'm also getting the feeling that Fighter #5 is going to be somebody that hasn't been "leaked"...that is until they literally are. I just feel as though Hayabusa has been the focus of many leaks, and while that doesn't mean he isn't likely or doesn't make a ton of sense as a character, it seems as though he's been a part of the conversation because he's been in a ton of leaks.

There's something to remember with leaks. For all the leaks that are right, there are those that can guess something and get it right, even if the information wasn't actually leaked. Ryu Hayabusa fits that more or less because he's a classic character that had spotlight from retro era games, and KT works closely with Nintendo.

PS- there's some stuff going around with Sabi that Brew can't talk about Hayabusa because he's been served a C&D, but that literally breaks the C&D because in saying he, "can't talk about Hayabusa" that's talking about Hayabusa.

Basically, another fake C&D.
What do you think about the Reimu business? I saw someone talking about how it could be the thing that milk bosatsu was talking about and it got me thinking that maybe this is the real deal

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I think it's possible that Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, and/or Reimu are in play for Smash DLC. However, I think it should be noted that Hayabusa has been in Smash Ultimate leaks since literally the earliest leaks of Doom Slayer in Smash. Every single leak he has shown up in has been shafted and thrown into the trash that is the fake leak bin.

I'm also getting the feeling that Fighter #5 is going to be somebody that hasn't been "leaked"...that is until they literally are. I just feel as though Hayabusa has been the focus of many leaks, and while that doesn't mean he isn't likely or doesn't make a ton of sense as a character, it seems as though he's been a part of the conversation because he's been in a ton of leaks.

There's something to remember with leaks. For all the leaks that are right, there are those that can guess something and get it right, even if the information wasn't actually leaked. Ryu Hayabusa fits that more or less because he's a classic character that had spotlight from retro era games, and KT works closely with Nintendo.

PS- there's some stuff going around with Sabi that Brew can't talk about Hayabusa because he's been served a C&D, but that literally breaks the C&D because in saying he, "can't talk about Hayabusa" that's talking about Hayabusa.

I agree. Fighter 5 likely hasn't been leaked, but that doesn't mean it's not Ryu Hayabusa anyway.

I still don't think he'll show up till post-pass but cest la vive

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

With all these fake legal documents going around, smash could really use a good lawyer:
1571614371952.gif

D

Deleted member

> “YO, YOU WANNA LEARN HOW TO DO A ****ING INFINITE!?!?”
002852C8-6E0C-417D-812D-DE5AE43D54E1.png

Erik and Luminary together make a good pair for real
I agree!

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
> “YO, YOU WANNA LEARN HOW TO DO A ****ING INFINITE!?!?”

I agree!
Go out fighting
Go out young
flash of lightning
eclipse the sun
lbx7w6mvw4r01.jpg

yes, i know it's an old fake leak. It's the only PSAS2 logo I can find

Shroob

Sup?
MilkBosatu most assuredly goes into the trash imo.

They got some stuff right but, I see no females with a projectile, and unless that fits fighter 5 or the first 1-2 post pass characters, ya that's a garbo can leak.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
what really gets me hmming is the fact that we've got two different sources (one western, one japanese) for the doujin music companies claim, and the actual leaker with a track record was second to the punch, so it's not just some random western guy digging up an old japanese leak and regurgitating it

if nothing else, it seems fair to say that the rumour itself seems to be genuinely circulating the touhou community to be heard twice by two sources like this, regardless of whether or not it's actually true

Shroob

Sup?
what really gets me hmming is the fact that we've got two different sources (one western, one japanese) for the doujin music companies claim, and the actual leaker with a track record was second to the punch, so it's not just some random western guy digging up an old japanese leak and regurgitating it

if nothing else, it seems fair to say that the rumour itself seems to be genuinely circulating the touhou community to be heard twice by two sources like this, regardless of whether or not it's actually true
Wait, two?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Wait, two?
in november 2018, a western anonymous guy posted on 4chan that he'd heard nintendo was hiring doujin circles to do arrangements of touhou tracks

more recently, a reputable japanese touhou leaker on 5chan (with an identifying tripcode across all his posts) posted that he's heard the same thing and that it's been ongoing for a long time (making this claim in isolation, seemingly unaware it was also made on 4chan a year earlier)

so we've got two completely separate sources making the same very specific claim

Shroob

Sup?
in november 2018, a western anonymous guy posted on 4chan that he'd heard nintendo was hiring doujin circles to do arrangements of touhou tracks

more recently, a reputable japanese touhou leaker on 5chan (with an identifying tripcode across all his posts) posted that he's heard the same thing and that it's been ongoing for a long time (making this claim in isolation, seemingly unaware it was also made on 4chan a year earlier)

so we've got two completely separate sources making the same very specific claim
Well that's certainly interesting.

Again. I highly doubt as FP5, but all bets are off for the other 10.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Well that's certainly interesting.

Again. I highly doubt as FP5, but all bets are off for the other 10.
my reasoning for it being FP5 largely stems from the timing of the first claim

if they started contacting doujin circles for arrangements in november 2018, that's around the same time sakurai tweeted that the DLC lineup was 'complete' (i.e. fully decided)--there's not much to suggest that they were planning ahead for wave 2 until 2.0 came out with the 16 WoL slots. the timing seems more consistent with a late fighter's pass character than early arrangements for something in future waves from my perspective.

Shroob

Sup?
my reasoning for it being FP5 largely stems from the timing of the first claim

if they started contacting doujin circles for arrangements in november 2018, that's around the same time sakurai tweeted that the DLC lineup was 'complete' (i.e. fully decided)--there's not much to suggest that they were planning ahead for wave 2 until 2.0 came out with the 16 WoL slots. the timing seems more consistent with a late fighter's pass character than early arrangements for something in future waves from my perspective.
Yeah, just, I dunno.

I jokingly made the claim that "oh ****, Sans Mii costume, could Reimu be coming?" The day of our last presentation, but I'm hella cautious over this.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Out of the three that have been discussed a lot in the past few days, I’m most interested in Reimu. I wonder what her move set would be like.

Last edited:

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
not a huge fan of Reimu tbh

Touhou is cool, the music's good

But I just don't really find Reimu to be that interesting as a potential fighter

The leak is looking like it might be legit though it could be something that's not smash

Shroob

Sup?
Out of the three that have been discussed a lot in the past few days, I’m most interested in Reimu. I wonder what her move set would be like.
That's very easy.

Touhou has a handful of 2d fighting games

Reimu primarily throws evil sealing talismans, hits you with her stick, laser beams and giant, bouncing yin-yang orbs.

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
Reimu’s one of those cases where she’s the main character, but I’d rather have somebody else. Touhou characters can have some pretty insane powers, and ray-moo’s in comparison aren’t quite as interesting to me. Do really like her design though.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Reimu’s one of those cases where she’s the main character, but I’d rather have somebody else. Touhou characters can have some pretty insane powers, and ray-moo’s in comparison aren’t quite as interesting to me. Do really like her design though.
I think that goes for most video-games with large casts though. With such a wide variety of colorful characters, chances are you'll find someone you much prefer over the leading lady/man.

I think this goes for most fighting games, JRPGs, and whatever else genre of games.

Shroob

Sup?
Gentlepanda Gentlepanda

The biggest question I have though. Are we 100% sure we can take this as actually happening?

Like, I don't see the importance of name dropping doujin circles like so many others do. Maybe it's a cultural difference but how is this any different than what El Grincho pulled?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Before we start saying that "Reimu is in!", I think it's wise to remember back to the Minecraft days of when leakers claimed Katarina was in Smash, only for it to not be Smash related.

Now obviously, the previous cred of leakers here are very different. But I personally would find the difference between the previous 4 fighters and Reimu to be startling. Sure, Touhou might be big in Japan, but it's anything but notable in the West. It's not close to the other picks we've gotten. They each have their own claim to fame or reason to show up in Smash. Reimu? That just seems...different.

That could obviously work in her favor. But before we go anywhere with this stuff, nobody should be assuming it's Smash or even happening until we get closer to the Terry stream or hints at a new info drop.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I still don't know what is going on with Reimu.

Like, I know who she is, but what leak caused her to blow up in terms of speculation?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

REIMU MII COSTUME LET'S GO!!!!!

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
I think that goes for most video-games with large casts though. With such a wide variety of colorful characters, chances are you'll find someone you much prefer over the leading lady/man.

I think this goes for most fighting games, JRPGs, and whatever else genre of games.
Yeah, Reimu definitely isn’t unique in that regard, but it stands out for her in particular to me just cause of how weird and unique other Touhou characters’ powers can get.
I also would have liked Rugal a bit more than Terry but it is what it is.

Shroob

Sup?
Before we start saying that "Reimu is in!", I think it's wise to remember back to the Minecraft days of when leakers claimed Katarina was in Smash, only for it to not be Smash related.

Now obviously, the previous cred of leakers here are very different. But I personally would find the difference between the previous 4 fighters and Reimu to be startling. Sure, Touhou might be big in Japan, but it's anything but notable in the West. It's not close to the other picks we've gotten. They each have their own claim to fame or reason to show up in Smash. Reimu? That just seems...different.

That could obviously work in her favor. But before we go anywhere with this stuff, nobody should be assuming it's Smash or even happening until we get closer to the Terry stream or hints at a new info drop.
I mean, is it really though.

Like, I think the leak is bunk but, you cant really say that Terry has universal appeal, he's pretty much regulated to Japan, China, and Mexico.

The big question, if this IS Nintendo asking for music, what realistically could they want it for?

Again, i don't buy it. Just playing Devil's advocate.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I've never played Touhou, but I frequent another forum where I'm around users that like Touhou a lot, and based on what I can see, it seems like most Touhou characters are more interesting than Reimu herself.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Gentlepanda Gentlepanda

The biggest question I have though. Are we 100% sure we can take this as actually happening?

Like, I don't see the importance of name dropping doujin circles like so many others do. Maybe it's a cultural difference but how is this any different than what El Grincho pulled?
the rumour is framed in both the 4chan and 5chan leak as being sourced directly from someone in one of the circles, so if you choose to take what they say at face value, it's 'happening'

however, it's not so much the framing of the claim--"my source within x company/group told me y", which are dime a dozen--as it is the fact that it's the same claim and rumour from two completely separate sources that's catching people's attention

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Like, I think the leak is bunk but, you cant really say that Terry has universal appeal, he's pretty much regulated to Japan, China, and Mexico.

The big question, if this IS Nintendo asking for music, what realistically could they want it for?

King of Fighters actually has quite a few things about it that have impacted the greater fighting game community. There's also the fact that Sakurai grew up playing it, and effectively got the concept Smash from it.

Kids from my school, which is low income urban Buffalo, NY know who Terry Bogard is. A few of my best friends play King of FIghters.

This isn't a "size comparison contest", but I think it goes without saying that Touhou is much, much more niche than everything else we've seen. Though, I'd say that's because of it being indie and largely not available outside of Japan except for fan games.

I think I'd be a lot more willing to think there's something to this if one of the sources were coming from a Smash leaker/NoA, but I don't think that's the case. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
the rumour is framed in both the 4chan and 5chan leak as being sourced directly from someone in one of the circles, so if you choose to take what they say at face value, it's 'happening'

however, it's not so much the framing of the claim--"my source within x company/group told me y", which are dime a dozen--as it is the fact that it's the same claim and rumour from two completely separate sources that's catching people's attention
So now the big question is how do we know it's not the same guy, and what exactly had the Japanese guy leaked credibly in the past.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion

the difference is that with stuff like KoF and DG westerners can still play those games

with touhou very few have even been released overseas and as far as I know none have been officially localized

it's far from accessible

Shroob

Sup?
the difference is that with stuff like KoF and DG westerners can still play those games

with touhou very few have even been released overseas and as far as I know none have been officially localized

it's far from accessible
Actually, there are Touhou games on Steam. And not just fan games, official games.

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
I feel like people are slightly overestimating how obscure and niche too-hoo is. It’s one of the most famous and influential indie game series of all time, and one of the first notable ones for that matter. It’s undeniably had a pretty significant impact on the bullet hell genre (on a personal note, I cannot tell you the number of times I’ve seen somebody call any bullet hell game “a Touhou”). It’s not lighting the US on fire but it’s definitely made a name for itself.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Actually, there are Touhou games on Steam. And not just fan games, official games.
That's why I said very few, not none. I'm aware of the ones on Steam. None of them are localized though.

I guess my point is that with stuff like KoF and DQ if someone doesn't know about it you can just tell em to get the game's on the eshop or something but 2hu's a lot less accessible to a non-Japanese audience

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I know nuthin' about Touhou so I won't have much to say if whatever happens.

I did try to crowd fund a Smash-style Touhou game a fan was hosting but the owners of Touhou didn't want some fan asking for money so they killed it off (I still have the demo they released).

Shroob

Sup?
King of Fighters actually has quite a few things about it that have impacted the greater fighting game community. There's also the fact that Sakurai grew up playing it, and effectively got the concept Smash from it.

Kids from my school, which is low income urban Buffalo, NY know who Terry Bogard is. A few of my best friends play King of FIghters.

This isn't a "size comparison contest", but I think it goes without saying that Touhou is much, much more niche than everything else we've seen. Though, I'd say that's because of it being indie and largely not available outside of Japan except for fan games.

I think I'd be a lot more willing to think there's something to this if one of the sources were coming from a Smash leaker/NoA, but I don't think that's the case. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Alright but let's not ignore part of the game that we're playing right now.

The leak says Nintendo asked for music.

Humoring the leak for a second, literally what else could it be for? ZUN isn't one to hand over the rights to his series to big game publishers soo easily.

This is the big question. If this leak has any shred of credibility, one has to wonder what else the request could be for if not Smash.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Reimu gets added in Smash but she looks like this:
That'd actually be pretty neat.
We need more Game n' Watch style reality warping characters.

I'd volunteer Paper Mario, but uh, doesn't look like he's happening anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom