• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I haven't played many Rare games, but I love what I have played. I've almost beaten Banjo-Kazooie, I've played Banjo-Tooie, I've beaten Donkey Kong Country, I've played Donkey Kong Country 2, and I've played Diddy Kong Racing.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I haven't played many Rare games, but I love what I have played. I've almost beaten Banjo-Kazooie, I've played Banjo-Tooie, I've beaten Donkey Kong Country, I've played Donkey Kong Country 2, and I've played Diddy Kong Racing.
If you have an Xbox One, get Rare Replay. You cannot go wrong. It has all non-nintendo rare games on it.

Your sending me mixed messages. Do you like the game? Or is it bad?
You can like bad games. I do that all the time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Your sending me mixed messages. Do you like the game? Or is it bad?
I think something can just be objectively bad or should be avoided, but I can still like it. Take cigarettes, for example. Unhealthy for you, but that wont stop people from smoking them.

Now DK 64 isn't as bad as cigarettes, but it's game design is still **** even back in the day. Worlds are larger than Banjo Tooie with no way to speed up your movement, and you're expected to beat them five times. That **** wouldn't fly nowadays.

Doesn't change the fact I grew up with it, have fond memories of exploring worlds, enjoy the soundtrack, and enjoy going back to it occasionally despite it being a pain to slog through. Nothing is more satisfying than hearing the iconic "OOOOOOOOOOOHHH BANANAAAAAAAAA"

Last edited by a moderator:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Now you have a reason to touch it. Get the Rare replay. It is only like 20 bucks some places. You will enjoy it. It has both Banjos, Grabbed by the Goolies and Conker.
Not enough of Rare's games interest me to but Rare Replay, honestly. I already have most of the ones I am interested in, and the others I don't have aren't on Rare Replay.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think something can just be objectively bad or should be avoided, but I can still like it. Take cigarettes, for example. Unhealthy for you, but that wont stop people from smoking them.

Now DK 64 isn't as bad as cigarettes, but it's game design is still **** even back in the day. Doesn't change the fact I grew up with it, have fond memories of exploring worlds, enjoy the soundtrack, and enjoy going back to it occasionally despite it being a pain to slog through. Nothing is more satisfying than hearing the iconic "OOOOOOOOOOOHHH BANANAAAAAAAAA"
This is super confusing for me. I don’t understand how you can like a game that you genuinely think is bad. “Good” and “bad” are not quantifiable things. It’s all opinions at the end of the day. If you like the game, then it’s good to you. If you don’t, then it’s bad.

Either way, I still want DK64 (and the Banjo games) to get the N. Sane treatment.

D

Deleted member

Really, if I ever go back to DK 64, it's with an emulator. Being able to mod Kong switching wherever is a significant time save and save stating those bull**** minigames is better than actually getting good at them.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Yoooo

Joker was such a good time!

Definitely one of my favorites this year

Joaquin Phoenix nomination for best actor please

D

Deleted member

DK64 is far from being a bad game, at worst it's mediocre, but definitely not outright bad. A bad game would be something like Sonic 06 or the tons of shovelware that exists. You might disagree with the direction DK64 took with the amount of collectibles, but calling the game flat out bad is hyperbole, I think.

D

Deleted member

This is super confusing for me. I don’t understand how you can like a game that you genuinely think is bad. “Good” and “bad” are not quantifiable things. It’s all opinions at the end of the day. If you like the game, then it’s good to you. If you don’t, then it’s bad.
So going back to my cigarette example, do you think those are good for you?

D

Deleted member

Yoooo

Joker was such a good time!

Definitely one of my favorites this year

Joaquin Phoenix nomination for best actor please
It's pretty much the only movie I've been interested this year and pretty much only because of all the weird buzz surrounding it. Though granted, my interest also rose a bit after learning that Phoenix plays the lead role. Really liked him in "Walk the Line" where he played Johnny Cash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Either way, I still want DK64 (and the Banjo games) to get the N. Sane treatment.
Hey Snake have you ever heard of guilty pleasures? Media that isn't really good by any means but you enjoy it? Venom is a dumpster fire of a movie but I couldn't help but grin ans laugh at it the whole time for example

D

Deleted member

No. They’re bad for you. They negatively effect your health. But that’s a quantifiable Effect they have. Games are art. And art is subjective.
Could a quantifiable effect of a game be how much time it wastes for the player? Switching between five kongs is brought up all the time because of how actively obstructive and tiring it is to the player. So much total time is wasted going back to the kong barrel that you could be playing a shorter indie game instead nowadays. This kind of "could I be doing something better" mentality is important.

When we have to balance video games among work, other hobbies, and the existential dread of time, this becomes something to weigh for the consumer. Should I use my limited time playing this game that actively wastes it or play a game that is more efficient at giving me the satisfaction I want?

DK 64 fails at efficiency. Whether you enjoy the game or not, your time will be wasted by this one design choice, and that is objectively bad.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Could a quantifiable effect of a game be how much time it wastes for the player? Switching between five kongs is brought up all the time because of how actively obstructive and tiring it is to the player. So much total time is wasted going back to the kong barrel that you could be playing a shorter indie game instead nowadays. This kind of "could I be doing something better" mentality is important.

When we have to balance video games among work, other hobbies, and the existential dread of time, this becomes something to weigh for the consumer. Should I use my limited time playing this game that actively wastes it or play a game that is more efficient at giving me the satisfaction I want?

DK 64 fails at efficiency, and that is objectively bad.
Okay. Then if it’s objectively bad, how come you still say that you like it?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Hey Snake have you ever heard of guilty pleasures? Media that isn't really good by any means but you enjoy it? Venom is a dumpster fire of a movie but I couldn't help but grin ans laugh at it the whole time for example
I never liked that expression. If I genuinely like it then why should I have to be guilty about it.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean it's the same thing the other way around. Final Fantasy VII is an objectively good game but you hate it right? We can't help what we enjoy we just do or don't.

D

Deleted member

Because you can still have fun with things while looking past their flaws. Enjoying something and acknowledging that same things flaws are not mutually exclusive.
People loved Breath of the Wild, but ask those same people what they think about weapon durability and 90% of the responses will be negative.

D

Deleted member

Gwen pretty much summed it up.

I am totally nostalgia blinded by DK 64 to outright hate it. I played the game when I was 4 and it's ingrained into my muscle memory. The parts that are enjoyable are legitimately enjoyable. If you saw me reacting during the King K. Rool trailer, for example, I literally shouted when I saw the boxing glove and final smash (both from DK 64).

Snake, you mentioned to the board that you enjoyed Banjo Tooie, but there were some stuff you would fix like the Canary Mary race among other things. I think you can safely say those sections are bad. That is my mindset toward DK 64. Something I enjoy, but would fix areas if I was a game developer.

I added this part to the post you quoted to clarify my thoughts on this.

"DK 64 fails at efficiency. Whether you enjoy the game or not, your time will be wasted by this one design choice, and that is objectively bad."

Here's another example...

I like the 1993 Mario movie, saw it a thousand times when i was a kid.

I still like it today because of the nostalgia factor even if i know that the movie is a dumpster fire of horrible creative decisions.

Edit: Gwen ninja'd my dumpster fire movie example... damn.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Wait, why are you getting money from them, if you don't mind me asking?
Apparently they're sending them out to everyone in the state if they filled out their tax returns earlier this year. I know that a few of my co-workers have already received theirs, so hopefully I'm coming up soon.

D

Deleted member

My favourite Godzilla movie excluding Shin Godzilla and King Of The Monsters is really despised by the fans of the series for “hurting the reputation of the series to Aquaman levels”.

Yet I still love it because it has my favourite character from the whole series and is fun to watch from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom