• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

You say it's fine, and it did work, but wouldn't be better and save more time for the player if we could switch Kongs wherever on the map? Especially without a dedicated run button like in Banjo Kazooie? Sonic 06 technically worked. You just had to learn the controls and physics engine for it to be playable. It is playable
No, it wouldn't be better, not for me. If you can freely switch between characters wherever you want, what's the point of having them then? Might as well only have DK and make everything else a power-up. And I don't get your point about the run button, because, unlike BK, DK64 doesn't have one, which I see as an advantage for games being played with an analogue stick.

Also calling Sonic 06 "technically working" is being very generous. I mean, it loads (slowly), yes, but half of the stuff the game offers you doesn't even work properly and that's not even going into the atrocious loading times. The manual even mentions stuff not in the final game, more than once even. Sonic 06, unlike DK64, is a legitimate bad game. I also never said 06 isn't playable, kinda moving the goalpost.

Technically, isn't arguing and prolonging the existence of this debate, of by which you're not accepting your fate as the objective loser, a waste of time?

Checkmate, Socrates. Out of here with that moral questioning. :nifty:
Then don't bring up stuff like "waste of time", because in the end, video games are a luxury product. I don't like "waste of time" as an argument, so I'll call it out like that, no need to get snappy.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Huh, hi, it's-a-me, Dr. Mario Von Eggman from the Emblem of Fire series, I just came here to say that I'm going to bed, so, huh, have a good time here, I guess.
2v92Klo.gif

see ya

D

Deleted member

View attachment 240697

It's like 30 or 40 bucks on the e-shop.

also it's super funny to see how the art style of the anime has changed over the past 20 years, they don't even have face lines anymore.
Wll give it a look then. Is it good for newcomers? I don't know anything about styles introduced in GX and later.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
D

Deleted member

No, it wouldn't be better, not for me. If you can freely switch between characters wherever you want, what's the point of having them then? Might as well only have DK and make everything else a power-up. And I don't get your point about the run button, because, unlike BK, DK64 doesn't have one, which I see as an advantage for games being played with an analogue stick.

Also calling Sonic 06 "technically working" is being very generous. I mean, it loads (slowly), yes, but half of the stuff the game offers you doesn't even work properly and that's not even going into the atrocious loading times. The manual even mentions stuff not in the final game, more than once even. Sonic 06, unlike DK64, is a legitimate bad game. I also never said 06 isn't playable, kinda moving the goalpost.
So then the issue evolves. Instead of having multiple kongs, why can't we just have one or two playable characters and cut out all of the fat that is the other kongs? This would mean we wouldn't have to explore the worlds multiple times and backtrack in order to complete them, or at least not to the current degree. Hell, three of the Kings are completely new to DK 64, so it's not like they were necessary to have. This would also allow Donkey and Diddy to control more differently than just one being faster than the other by attempting to give them more unique moves

And my point with the run button is that DK 64's worlds are so massive that not having a run button is an actual flaw. It's not like the general terrain are incredibly narrow to the point where a run button would make the Kong family uncontrollable period. Banjo Kazooie and Tooie had a run feature, so why can't DK 64? You're telling me exploring this world multiple times couldn't be faster? If I remember from a conversation from yesterday, the option at the very least wouldn't hurt.

Again, two flaws that could have been ironed out. It's like Sonic 06, but instead of having two glaring flaws, it has a **** ton of flaws that can be counted on more than two hands. Obviously 06 is worse--it's the epitome of what a bad game is--but DK 64 has two major bad design decisions that make it a divisive game instead of a widely accepted classic like Super Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Well, my keyboard is completely giving up for tonight, it seems. The above part already took me like 15 minutes to write and it's only getting worse. Having to use the on-screen keyboard is so slow and clunky.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So then the issue evolves. Instead of having multiple kongs, why can't we just have one or two playable characters and cut out all of the fat that is the other kongs? This would mean we wouldn't have to explore the worlds multiple times and backtrack in order to complete them, or at least not to the current degree. Hell, three of the Kings are completely new to DK 64, so it's not like they were necessary to have. This would also allow Donkey and Diddy to control more differently than just one being faster than the other.

And my point with the run button is that DK 64's worlds are so massive that not having a run button is an actual flaw. It's not like the general terrain are incredibly narrow to the point where a run button would make the Kong family uncontrollable period. Banjo Kazooie and Tooie had a run feature, so why can't DK 64? You're telling me exploring this world multiple times couldn't be faster? If I remember from a conversation from yesterday, the option at the very least wouldn't hurt.

Again, two flaws that could have been ironed out. It's like Sonic 06, but instead of having two glaring flaws, it has a **** ton of flaws that can be counted on more than two hands. Obviously 06 is worse--it's the epitome of what a bad game is--but DK 64 has two major bad design decisions that make it a divisive game instead of a widely used classic like Super Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie.
A run button would be bad, just increase your default running speed and make a walk button if you have to

D

Deleted member

A run button would be bad, just increase your default running speed and make a walk button if you have to
I've never heard of a walk button before. Either way, the default speed should have been faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I've never heard of a walk button before. Either way, the default speed should have been faster.
World of Warcraft and the PC versions of modern Fallout games have a walk button.
Don't know if anyone has ever used them but they have them.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wll give it a look then. Is it good for newcomers? I don't know anything about styles introduced in GX and later.
I'm assuming so, the only other way to get into YGO is Duel Links, but Duel Links is both gacha, in a different playing format, and has Synchros now, and I think XYZ come later this year or next year.

Or I guess you could just buy one of those nostalgia starter decks from Wal-Mart for like 15 bucks.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Can we get E gadd too? His appearance is long overdue especially when he was so close before!

D

Deleted member

Can we get E gadd too? His appearance is long overdue especially when he was so close before!
Okay real talk, shoutouts to Luigi's Mansion for originally having an ending where Luigi just gets possessed and Mario ****ing dies.

D

Deleted member

So then the issue evolves. Instead of having multiple kongs, why can't we just have one or two playable characters and cut out all of the fat that is the other kongs? This would mean we wouldn't have to explore the worlds multiple times and backtrack in order to complete them, or at least not to the current degree. Hell, three of the Kings are completely new to DK 64, so it's not like they were necessary to have. This would also allow Donkey and Diddy to control more differently than just one being faster than the other.

Again, two flaws that could have been ironed out. It's like Sonic 06, but instead of having two glaring flaws, it has a **** ton of flaws that can be counted on more than two hands. Obviously 06 is worse--it's the epitome of what a bad game is--but DK 64 has two major bad design decisions that make it a divisive game instead of a widely accepted classic like Super Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie.
I'm not gonna go into a tangent again, because of what I said above, otherwise I'd still be here tomorrow. I argued that calling DK64 outright bad is exaggerating, which I stand by. It has flaws, but it doesn't warrant the overly bad rep it gets. It's mediocre at worst.

And as for the run button, remember when Mario 3D Land came out and everyone panned that decision? Or how Mario 64 was critisized for lack of run button? If speed is an issue, make the default speed faster, but don't hold something which was standard for 3d plattformers back then against it. Yes, options are nice, but we're talking about the N64 era here, games have evolved by now.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
you say that like he hasn't shown up in a mario game for years

even though he's literally about to in LM3

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113

I think it's more about how E gadd has never been in anything outside luigi's mansion, atleast I don't think he has. I think he deserves to appear in a spin off or two.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Unpopular opinions time? Ok here's one.

Sonic Adventure 2 has been bashed so much for being "overrated" that it's become underrated. I enjoy the game overall even with the bad camera, and to add fuel to the fire: most treasure hunting stages are actually just fine. They have nothing on the speed and mech stages, but they're decently enjoyable overall.

SA2 is a good game. I hope you all enjoyed my Ted Talk :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sonic Adventure 2 has been bashed so much for being "overrated" that it's become underrated. I enjoy the game overall even with the bad camera, and to add fuel to the fire: most treasure hunting stages are actually just fine. They have nothing on the speed and mech stages, but they're decently enjoyable overall.

I quite like the mecha stages myself. Though the constant *BEEP* does get annoying. But you have no idea how infuriating I find it that Mission Street only has 99 rings. Like, couldn't they have thrown one extra ring in there somewhere?

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I quite like the mecha stages myself. Though the constant *BEEP* does get annoying. But you have no idea how infuriating I find it that Mission Street only has 99 rings. Like, couldn't they have thrown one extra ring in there somewhere?
Nope, no extra rings lol.
SA2 is a hard game. But it's addicting because it has excellent replay value so it balances out.

And the beeps are tuned out by me because I just love blowing crap up that I get lost in the enjoyment of blowing crap up. Also, Tails and Eggman are my 2 favorite Sonic characters which helps.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Given how LM3 comes out this month, seeing them hold off Luigi for Mario Kart Tour isn't all that surprising.

I actually find it more suprising that neither Wario and Waluigi are in the base game but Diddy Kong is.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

I was referring to how Mario kart ds had e gadd in the beta and they he never made to any full Mario kart version after that

D

Deleted member

Ya know, there should totally be a game based on early Yu-Gi-Oh with Yugi setting people on fire and all that.

Nope, no extra rings lol.
SA2 is a hard game. But it's addicting because it has excellent replay value so it balances out.
Hard in general or hard to 100%? Because I definitely agree with the latter, going for all A ranks certainly isn't easy. Still, I really love the game, was my first Game Cube game and it's actually one of the games that will never get old for me.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

It's pretty fun when you just play through it casually.

The goal of collecting all 180 emblems, though, is something that I have no interest in undertaking ever again...3D Green Hill Zone be damned.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Ya know, there should totally be a game based on early Yu-Gi-Oh with Yugi setting people on fire and all that.

Hard in general or hard to 100%? Because I definitely agree with the latter, going for all A ranks certainly isn't easy. Still, I really love the game, was my first Game Cube game and it's actually one of the games that will never get old for me.
Defo very hard to 100% and get unlockables. It's medium-slightly difficult on average playthroughs.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's pretty fun when you just play through it casually.

The goal of collecting all 180 emblems, though, is something that I have no interest in undertaking ever again...3D Green Hill Zone be damned.
For the most part, very few of the Missions I even find difficult... except the Chao stuff. Getting them with the best possible stats in order to stand a chance is ridiculously time-consuming. Only a few stages are pretty annoying otherwise. Meteor Herd, Mission Street, Shadow's final level(to be honest, I found all of Shadow's levels to not be very good. His highway one I somewhat enjoyed, at least, but the rest didn't work well), Security Hall, and... I'd say that's the only ones I found to be problematic. I'm one of the few that don't find Mad Space an issue. It's not a great level either.

My only issue with Treasure Hunting is that the radar isn't like Adventure 1's. The controls are better, on the other hand. Shooting levels suffer in a similar way; the health meter is really poor game design, but the lack of a time limit actually improves the gameplay too. Speed levels are the only ones fully improved otherwise compared to Adventure 1. The homing attack is a bit more efficient, instant ring dashing is great, and Ancient Light is, imo, one of the coolest power-ups. Otherwise, the Bounce Bracelet and Magic Hand are fairly fun(the former the most fun of the two).

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Does anyone remember CooVee, and BoogerBoyMiester? Those you tubers were THE **** to watch on early YouTube, and I still fondly remember them to this day.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
For the most part, very few of the Missions I even find difficult... except the Chao stuff. Getting them with the best possible stats in order to stand a chance is ridiculously time-consuming. Only a few stages are pretty annoying otherwise. Meteor Herd, Mission Street, Shadow's final level(to be honest, I found all of Shadow's levels to not be very good. His highway one I somewhat enjoyed, at least, but the rest didn't work well), Security Hall, and... I'd say that's the only ones I found to be problematic. I'm one of the few that don't find Mad Space an issue. It's not a great level either.

My only issue with Treasure Hunting is that the radar isn't like Adventure 1's. The controls are better, on the other hand. Shooting levels suffer in a similar way; the health meter is really poor game design, but the lack of a time limit actually improves the gameplay too. Speed levels are the only ones fully improved otherwise compared to Adventure 1. The homing attack is a bit more efficient, instant ring dashing is great, and Ancient Light is, imo, one of the coolest power-ups. Otherwise, the Bounce Bracelet and Magic Hand are fairly fun(the former the most fun of the two).
I absolutely loathed raising Chao strong enough to win all of the racing events and karate. Can't believe that the garden was where I spent the majority of my playtime back when I was young lol.

I'd argue that both of the kart levels were pretty awful, too, at least when going for all of the emblems. The controls were booty and the missions where you weren't allowed to touch a single wall...ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom