• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
You know whats sad? Despite everything that transpired yesterday, despite all the hard work Sakurai is doing, theres still going to be people out there that are going to ***** and moan.
I'd say at this point people are pretty universally happy with Sakurai (and man I hope and know he's making a lot of money). People may be disappointed in some of the decisions, but it is hard to argue he hasn't put his heart and soul into this game to a unique level. This is so much better that we could have ever expected with the video game landscape as it is today. In my eyes, they've already cemented a legacy that will go on for a very long time with their consistent care for the fans, for the finer details and for putting in as much content as possible considering the time constraints.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think I'm getting a bit better at Banjo. It's weird because there's a lot of familiarity with his moves with characters already on the roster, but given the combination of them all it's a bit more challenging to link them together. Maybe it's just me, but it's almost hard to juggle having Duck Hunt's bair and down tilt, Mario's fair, Corrin's dair, Ivysaur and Piranha Plant's nair, Marth's forward smash, Palutena's down smash, and kinda-sorta Charizard's Flare Blitz on the same character lol.

It helps though that I play a good chunk of those though. Their neutral air is probably my favorite move of theirs. Rear Egg is also really fun.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
There's frankly too many third party characters out there for Sakurai to feasibly make everyone happy. I get the sentiment of having as many franchises as possible to appeaae the most fans, but there's only like a few characters from 1st party that people feel are glaringly omitted. It'd be easier to satisfy them and then bring in the popular picks from 3rd party to truly satisfy the most people.

But then I suppose I can see how the Fighters Pass kinda kept our focus on 3rd party and deviating fron that could upset some people... but it's ****ing Smash. It is Nintendo's property first and foremost. If people are upset by a 1st party character being among the 3rd party characters in DLC then clearly some priorities need to be checked.

I mean, I wouldn’t lose sleep if we got a couple of 1st Party characters in the future (Astral Chain protagonists would be awesome)

However, I do definitely prefer 3rd party inclusions, it feels like they continue to build Smash as a gaming hall of fame imo

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I've seen way more people complaining about people complaining about terry than I've seen people complaining about terry

like there's some dummies on twitter but twitter sucks all the time

StormC

Smash Hero
Wrote a post in the RTC that basically sums up how I feel after yesterday's Smash news... and I know you're all dying to read it so here:

TERRY FACES THE FURY!

I have no personal connection to SNK whatsoever but I am familiar with both Terry and SNK's legacy as a fighting game juggernaut. As someone who loves both 90s anime (avatar checks out) and fourth generation video games, that trailer got me pretty excited in addition to being hilarious. While it's a shame we got so little gameplay footage, I'm glad he's coming relatively soon and I think I will take the time to play more of SNK's games to get to know Terry better. It's both too bad that this got leaked but also sort of a blessing because a lot of people might have had more hostile reactions to Terry otherwise.

MORE DLC CONFIRMED

Gotta be honest, I saw this as a pipe dream scenario. Nintendo was always so conservative with their DLC, Sakurai has been working on Smash nonstop since 2012, and he said in his recent book DLC is not as profitable as people thought. Yet it happened anyway. Holy ****ing ****. Smash is insane. Ultimate will go down in history as one of the biggest achievements in all of video games and they will never top it with future sequels, which is exactly why Sakurai is doing this. While at this point, basically all of my big megahype wants are in and I know nobody they could announce could come close to Banjo & Kazooie as DLC, I am hopeful they will still be cool choices that enrich the roster and make me excited about continued support. While I buy all Smash characters/stages/music, I would like at least another 2-3 characters I have a personal connection to in order to stay invested (I'm already satisfied for the most part with the Fighters Pass). And hey, maybe some of these inclusions will introduce me to cool new games (I know Joker's did, big time).

This truly is going to be Sakurai's magnum opus and the grand finale to the last 20 years of Smash. I can't wait. It's already my favorite game of all time, but with all of this DLC? It's an absolute joke. Smash has never been, and will never be, this good again.

BANJO & KAZOOIE SHOWCASE

Banjo shadowdrop was ****ing godly. Yesterday was a FEAST for Smash fans. I was so certain we'd see them in October at the earliest, but they are chugging along at a great pace for this DLC. As for the content in the update, WOW, Spiral Mountain has so much love put into it. You can tell they wanted to go all out for the most requested character. I love that Sakurai put so much emphasis on Tooty's cameo, given that she hasn't appeared in 21 years. That was a legit shocker. Although I wish we got more song rips (no Rusty Bucket Bay or Grunty Battle Theme?), 7 remixes is incredible and more than double what I anticipated. You can tell Sakurai has a ton of respect for Kirkhope's legacy as a composer.

Banjo & Kazooie themselves are an amazing fighter. No fancy bells and whistles, just a straight up homage to N64 platforming goodness. They play exactly like you would expect if they were added back in Melee. Wonderwing and Breegull Bash both feel extremely satisfying to land, and I love their alt colors, ESPECIALLY the Grunty one. I seriously never thought K. Rool would have competition for a main, but B&K make the case for a very close secondary. It's a god damn good time to be both an old school Rare fan and a Smash fan. (Dixie in season 2 pretty please?)

The lack of Rare Mii costumes is kind of disappointing, but I never buy Mii costumes anyway. Well. Except for one...

SANS UNDERTALE

This was the point where I say "I give up." I give up trying to predict Sakurai. I'm done. I can't outguess him. He's got me beat just when I think I've figured him out, and I am LIVING for it. The Sans Mii costume might be the most shocking and simultaneously funniest addition in Smash history, not to mention Sakurai casually talking about meeting Toby Fox and playing Smash with him. The costume itself is amazingly detailed and a Mii Gunner moveset fits Sans really well. But of course, I would be remiss to not talk about...

MEGALOVANIA. Megalovania is in Smash. Literally what the ****. I assume this is all some big prank that is going to come undone at some point. I have fought Mewtwo playing as Banjo on Duck Hunt's stage while Megalovania plays. As someone who remembers Megalovania back from Toby Fox's days working on Homestuck... this is just mindblowing. This has me excited for what else Smash has in store for us while we chug along into season 2 of DLC.

HOME RUN CONTEST

Uh, this exists. Cool for those who like it. I basically never played it in the old games and that will continue to be the case here.

OVERALL

Yesterday was a megaton of Smash news that nobody expected. Probably some of the biggest announcements since the November Smash Direct. The future of Smash is looking brighter than ever, and I can't thank Sakurai enough for how hard he's worked for us. While not every decision or character is going to be something I love, I trust his vision going forward and nobody can say he doesn't care about giving the fans what they want. Never in a million years after Smash 4 did I think we would get here... but Sakurai finds a way to top himself each time.

I'm not gonna put arbitrary numbers or values or anything, but between all this Smash news and playing as Banjo for like, 5 hours straight last night, I'm so blessed we live in this timeline. While before I was a little weary about being stuck in Smash speculation for so long after the Fighters Pass, I trust it will work out. Bring on the next set of DLC!

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
To be fair, I think some are mixing "complaints" with "disappointment" given both kinda fall under negative connotations.

Like, a good amount of the reactors I saw didn't know who Terry was and it was just disappointment or an "okay, cool" thing. Maybe that's what these people are trying to say?

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
To be fair, I think some are mixing "complaints" with "disappointment" given both kinda fall under negative connotations.

Like, a good amount of the reactors I saw didn't know who Terry was and it was just disappointment or an "okay, cool" thing. Maybe that's what these people are trying to say?
I knew Terry before smash, but didn't know his name. He seems pretty iconic if you ask me. I've seen him around a lot.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Prepare for a bunch of Kirby art:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Okay, in terms of the first one:
Are you okay poyo?
And in terms of the second one:

KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465
:p

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Bruh, I don’t even get why people are excited about the Sans costume.

Like, sure we have a Chrom, Fox, Samus, Link, and Falcon Costume. But why bother with the costume when you can just play the character? You can already play as Chrom, Fox, Link, Samus, Falcon, and Ness.

Whining fools begone.

D

Deleted member

Why bother trying to figure anything out yourself when the lab fiends will just do it for you?

D

Deleted member

I just got the joke

in other words delet this post

Last edited by a moderator:

Noipoi

Howdy!

Like, sure we have a Chrom, Fox, Samus, Link, and Falcon Costume. But why bother with the costume when you can just play the character? You can already play as Chrom, Fox, Link, Samus, Falcon, and Ness.

Whining fools begone.
Jones I was this close to ending your life.

You saved it at the last second.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Whining fools begone.
Because Toby Fox started out as a ROM hacker and with one big hit, got his **** in Smash. That's inspiring as hell to any indie developer. There's also "Hey, he actually made it in the game somehow, I didn't think he'd even get this!" And of course, the phenomenal Megalovania, which EVERYONE knows at this point. Lots of people actually like characters getting represented like this even if they aren't playable, I even popped off at seeing Shovel Knight make it in as an assist, cause I never expected Smash to acknowledge indie games, so seeing the little guys get in this huge crossover is amazing

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
ok this is epic, hey fellow squidkids can we get 10,000 likes?

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I know that I am probably the only person who cares, but I am so happy that they re-used Chris Sutherland's voice clips for Banjo in Smash.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I know that I am probably the only person who cares, but I am so happy that they re-used Chris Sutherland's voice clips for Banjo in Smash.
well they weren't just gonna get matt mercer to do replacement guh-huhs

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Because Toby Fox started out as a ROM hacker and with one big hit, got his **** in Smash. That's inspiring as hell to any indie developer. There's also "Hey, he actually made it in the game somehow, I didn't think he'd even get this!" And of course, the phenomenal Megalovania, which EVERYONE knows at this point. Lots of people actually like characters getting represented like this even if they aren't playable, I even popped off at seeing Shovel Knight make it in as an assist, cause I never expected Smash to acknowledge indie games, so seeing the little guys get in this huge crossover is amazing
You realize you're responding to a Sans is Ness meme right?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I completely agree with you!

Now please
2FE364EA-104B-4496-91CB-6D7821A30FAD.jpeg
Read the comment again lmao.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I read that as Keith Sutherland and was VERY confused for a second
"we'll make jiggies from their ashes, take them into the next world with us... a shining guh-huh to our poor souls in arms, even in death. we are the bear and bird."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom