• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If not for SNK, Smash as we know it might not exist.

Rolling, spotdodging and short hopping came from SNK fighters.

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry, and I may come across as the worst for this, but the legit seething of Smash fans over SNK is...really hilarious in some instances.

There's threads on /v/ and GameFAQS right now that are flat out revisionist in saying Ridley and K.Rool weren't the most wanted picks, but that Geno, Banjo and Isaac were. Others suggest that the Ballot was a farce, or that the development team was supposed to still be referring to it and that "nobody asked for Terry or an SNK rep".

I thought maybe the Smash fanbase had changed more than it actually has. @Chucklehead Tom put it quite nicely , as the word "deserving" is being thrown around quite a bit. I'm not going to indulge in responding to the concept of a fictional character "deserving" a "slot" in Smash.

It really comes down to this if you ask me: The Smash fanbase internet bubble has led to the inclusion of some great characters (K.Rool, Ridley, Banjo-Kazooie, the return of Snake and other veterans), but there is still a co-existence of this passive phobia of games/series that aren't "Nintendo" enough. This doesn't mean anybody is a bad person for not wanting 3rd parties or picks they aren't familiar with. But it's completely different once it becomes toxic. Luckily I'd say very few folks here have gotten to that point.

There was literally a thread earlier that suggested fans were crying that Geno was "shafted in favor of this character nobody asked for!" It may have been trolling, but I'm also like, "COME ON BRUH".
I don't think I need to stress it but I do want to say that I wasn't trying to slight SNK at all. I think Terry would be great and while I'm not overly fond of Nakoruru (always been a Haohmaru guy myself) I wouldn't be able to muster up a worse reaction to her than slight disappointment, and that's just my personal preference talking. Trying to say who deserves a spot in Smash or not is one of the absolute most shallow arguments you could make in favor of/against a character, and at this point it's more or less synonymous with "I like/don't like this character".
To quote someone from back in the old, old Ultimate thread; "The only character who deserves to be in Smash is Mario."

Last edited by a moderator:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I mean most support threads are just the same 5 people posting again and again so it's not too impressive
can confirm, the kasumi thread consists of approximately 6 people chilling around a campfire and talking about royal while toasting marshmallows

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
"What has SNK ever done for Smash Bros.?" I hear you cry and scream and whine that it's not your anime waifu girlfriend and also evil dictator Edelgard.

And I answer that to you: The Dan Hibiki Spirit

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Screw it, installing KoF now, time to remind myself how bad I am at fighting games. Not to mention my TV is kinda dying on me, which makes it kinda difficult to play on consoles that aren't a Switch. Now would be the best time to actually use my PC for gaming for once.
Id suggest you get a Saturn controller since it a perfect controller for fighting games

Either get a USB one

but for the best experience you should try a converter:
buy an actual OG Saturn controller and use this to connect to your PC

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm waiting to see who the actual SNK character is before playing SNK games to prepare myself for their inclusion.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i'd main terry

his inputs aren't a ****ing nightmare like when i tried to main ryu or ken. i can never get true shoryu

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
so do we not have a terry thread

i know we have a kyo thread but not terry

D

Deleted member

i'd main terry

his inputs aren't a ****ing nightmare like when i tried to main ryu or ken. i can never get true shoryu
"Hey let's try and get people to perform DP inputs on GameCube controllers and the ****ty 3DS circle pad" - Satan, adding Ryu to Smash 4, 2015

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Professor Layton

I don't know why. But he just popped in my head. Maybe my computer-brain just spat him out as the logicall conclusion to the pass now that we have the 4 other data points. Whatever the reason, i suggest watching for him.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
so do we not have a terry thread

i know we have a kyo thread but not terry
If someone doesn't make one he'll join the ranks of Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, Richter, and Solo who also didn't have threads.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If someone doesn't make one he'll join the ranks of Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, and Solo who also didn't have threads.
well lets just hope no one goes on a depserado spree to make it just for the hype

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel like if Bomberman wasn't an Assist Trophy he would be pretty highly speculated right now as a mid-tier Japanese series with lots of history.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Btw here's what I mean with invitation inspiration
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Kyo is going to have this somewhere when he gets in Smash.

Makes too much sense.

Alright King of Fighters fans. What music is ****ing lit in this series? I need to know what I'm getting myself into.
The obvious first choices are the Arashi no Saxaphone, or Iori’s themes.

All of Iori’s themes from KOF are composed of jaz music and are some of the most memorable and well known of SNK’s works, and even the original ones from older titles like KOF 98’ have aged well despite being on less powerful hardware.

Give it a listen, they’re all great and really catchy, although in my opinion KOF 13 is sorta hit or miss.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i mean i'd take terry or haohmaru

not really into nakoruru but if she gets in that's fine

kyo is only okay if he gets his retro design cause if he does then everyones gonna complain how hes just :ultrichter: without a whip

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
kyo is only okay if he gets his retro design cause if he does then everyones gonna complain how hes just :ultrichter: without a whip
You forgot about the people who are gonna whine that Terry is Ken with a hat.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
People love conspiracy theories, just last week I saw someone say Black Panther and Captain Marvel only got that successful because Disney bribed people to watch it
So that's why I didn't get my check in the mail.
wtf Feige you liar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom