• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Can someone pull this interview where Sakurai states King Of Fighters was an inspiration for Smash? I keep hearing it but I haven't seen it myself.
He doesn't outright say it, but he talks about how he played KoF back in the day and ended up beating some scrub, making him think about a fighting game for both casuals and hardcore fans.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ght_him_to_be_mindful_of_all_types_of_players
What isn't mentioned but is rather telling is that Smash has a lot of mechanics that made KoF stand out like perfect shielding, spotdodges and rolls. That alongside the fact KoF is a crossover and Smash sharing it's 'invitation' imagery should say enough

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Speak for yourself. I thought Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta, in spite of her brokenness back then, were awesome picks, and still are.
I still don't get how you could be dissapointed with that lineup. Okay, Bayo maybe, as she's cool but not massively popular. And Corrin was and still is very Blah. But CLOUD and RYU. That's an objective win.

StormC

Smash Hero
Somewhere out there is a dark alternate reality where most Kutthroats (myself included) were driven insane due to K. Rool's abscence from Smash Ultimate.
I said if K. Rool got in I would never complain about the roster again.

Then Sakurai gave me Banjo as if to say "okay but seriously never ask me for anything again."

You can see my posts back in 2014-2015 and see my unhappiness during the Smash 4 era. Sakurai has more than made up for that and I'm so happy I get to just kick back and enjoy the last two characters for whatever they are. For the first time in Smash speculation history, I feel... free.

This game warps your brain.

D

Deleted member

Seeing the word "Deserving" being used in a Smash context gives me ****in war flashbacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Gotta say Im amazed by people still in disbelief of Bayonetta being popular. I guess some people prefer to build conspiracy theories when Nintendo has no reason to lie about it. But I guess some people feel more comfortable believing in some sort of conspiracy theory when comments by Sakurai indicate quite a few characters that weren't prominent in the fanpolls and got in Ultimate and Sm4sh.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I said if K. Rool got in I would never complain about the roster again.

Then Sakurai gave me Banjo as if to say "okay but seriously never ask me for anything again."

You can see my posts back in 2014-2015 and see my unhappiness during the Smash 4 era. Sakurai has more than made up for that and I'm so happy I get to just kick back and enjoy the last two characters for whatever they are. For the first time in Smash speculation history, I feel... free.

This game warps your brain.
Oh yeah. I can get behind that mindset. Geno is still the one who got away but such is life. I will say that I can't think of any characters that would actively disappoint me (except new Fire Emblem or Pokemon characters).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Like I said on the edit, being planned does not exclude popularity. If Bayo wasn't that popular, Nintendo doesn't have any reason to lie about her popularity and I can guarantee you they would have omitted that part on the direct if it wasn't the results.
I can't prove anything about Bayo's popularity or how well she did on the ballot, but given how both her and Cloud were added shortly after the ballot began, that does seem to indicate that the ballot had absolutely no impact on Smash 4. Both characters are third-party, meaning that certain legalities would have to be worked out (especially with Cloud). If they got added two weeks after the April 1st Direct in 2015, then they had likely been planned for quite some time.

I'm not trying to hate on Bayo or anything. I've gotten over it a long time ago. Just seems like Nintendo may have added her in Smash as a means to promote her series, especially if they already had plans to go forward with the franchise by then and make Bayo 3.

I still don't get how you could be dissapointed with that lineup. Okay, Bayo maybe, as she's cool but not massively popular. And Corrin was and still is very Blah. But CLOUD and RYU. That's an objective win.
Corrin and Bayo were the last two reveals, so that's why I said Smash 4 ended on a low note for a lot of people. People had put a lot of emphasis on the ballot winner being really popular, so many were expecting K. Rool or Banjo.

Again though, doesn't matter because both of those characters got in Smash in the long run.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Gotta say Im amazed by people still in disbelief of Bayonetta being popular. I guess some people prefer to build conspiracy theories when Nintendo has no reason to lie about it. But I guess some people feel more comfortable believing in some sort of conspiracy theory when comments by Sakurai indicate quite a few characters that weren't prominent in the fanpolls and got in Ultimate and Sm4sh.
People love conspiracy theories, just last week I saw someone say Black Panther and Captain Marvel only got that successful because Disney bribed people to watch it

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Pause is Y rather than +. That said, it's better to visit a church and confess, you'll have the option to quit after saving.
Ok. Good to know if I ever decide to pick it up again. I was just getting save data to get the spirit. Now I have the save data. So I bid this game adue. I just can't stand turn based battles.

StormC

Smash Hero
I mean, Sakurai/Nintendo technically never lied about Bayonetta. They just say how well she placed. They didn't say she was added to Smash as a fighter specifically due to the ballot. I get why they did that, they needed to show a short term reward for the ballot while working on the long con, but I can understand why fans feel burned. (Of course, I eventually got the character I voted for anyway...)

D

Deleted member

Smash speculation is serious business.

But speaking of which, I'm at the point where thy could add Barney the dinosaur and I wouldn't complain. Not only did Sakurai and his team manage to bring back every previous character (including Snake and Cloud, who I imagined not making the cut), but also some new much requested hay hitters like K.Rool, Ridley and Simon (including Richter even). While I personally would love to see some more obscure retro picks, I just can't really complain about what we've gotten.

Except Sukapon, it's a crime it took until Smash 5 for it to even appear outside of a measly sticker in Brawl (not even a trophy in Melee and that one had a friggin Plum trophy) and even then it's just as an AT. I mean, I'm glad Sukapon finally made it in some form, but being Nintendo's first fighter, you'd think its inclusion as a playable character would be a no brainer.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I always figured that after three weeks or so Sakurai looked at the characters that were doing the best and chose the one that he wanted to work on the most and didn't want to save for ultimate

D

Deleted member

Who needed K. Rool in Smash 4 when you can have K. Rool and Bayonetta in Ultimate?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Btw here's what I mean with invitation inspiration
There was a problem fetching the tweet
That would be amazing.

The more I think about it the less likely Tekken following KoF feels. Then again, I felt the same way about Banjo in the days leading up to E3.

I don't even know how my brain works anymore.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright King of Fighters fans. What music is ****ing lit in this series? I need to know what I'm getting myself into.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, Sakurai/Nintendo technically never lied about Bayonetta. They just say how well she placed. They didn't say she was added to Smash as a fighter specifically due to the ballot. I get why they did that, they needed to show a short term reward for the ballot while working on the long con, but I can understand why fans feel burned. (Of course, I eventually got the character I voted for anyway...)
The only thing l highly doubt is them claiming she was the #1 choice worldwide.

I might be able to see her rank in NA's top 5 depending on how many characters didn't qualify as "realizable characters". I doubt she was Europe's most-requested character, but I don't live there, so I don't really have a leg to stand on in this case.

I always figured that after three weeks or so Sakurai looked at the characters that were doing the best and chose the one that he wanted to work on the most and didn't want to save for ultimate
He probably saved all of them for Ultimate.

That is, unless he chose the characters he wanted, Nintendo secured the rights to both Cloud and Bayo, and he added both in the files in less than two weeks. It's not entirely impossible, but it does seem remarkably fast for them to work out a deal with SE that quickly.

StormC

Smash Hero
Bayonetta was added after two weeks of the ballot’s announcement, the timeline borders on impossible when you consider negotiations and data implementation.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm sorry, and I may come across as the worst for this, but the legit seething of Smash fans over SNK is...really hilarious in some instances.

There's threads on /v/ and GameFAQS right now that are flat out revisionist in saying Ridley and K.Rool weren't the most wanted picks, but that Geno, Banjo and Isaac were. Others suggest that the Ballot was a farce, or that the development team was supposed to still be referring to it and that "nobody asked for Terry or an SNK rep".

I thought maybe the Smash fanbase had changed more than it actually has. @Chucklehead Tom put it quite nicely , as the word "deserving" is being thrown around quite a bit. I'm not going to indulge in responding to the concept of a fictional character "deserving" a "slot" in Smash.

It really comes down to this if you ask me: The Smash fanbase internet bubble has led to the inclusion of some great characters (K.Rool, Ridley, Banjo-Kazooie, the return of Snake and other veterans), but there is still a co-existence of this passive phobia of games/series that aren't "Nintendo" enough. This doesn't mean anybody is a bad person for not wanting 3rd parties or picks they aren't familiar with. But it's completely different once it becomes toxic. Luckily I'd say very few folks here have gotten to that point.

There was literally a thread earlier that suggested fans were crying that Geno was "shafted in favor of this character nobody asked for!" It may have been trolling, but I'm also like, "COME ON BRUH".

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The only thing l highly doubt is them claiming she was the #1 choice worldwide.

I might be able to see her rank in NA's top 5 depending on how many characters didn't qualify as "realizable characters". I doubt she was Europe's most-requested character, but I don't live there, so I don't really have a leg to stand on in this case.

He probably saved all of them for Ultimate.

That is, unless he chose the characters he wanted, Nintendo secured the rights to both Cloud and Bayo, and he added both in the files in less than two weeks. It's not entirely impossible, but it does seem remarkably fast for them to work out a deal with SE that quickly.
She was #1 out of “realizable” characters, which means whatever they want it to mean, lol.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
She was #1 out of “realizable” characters, which means whatever they want it to mean, lol.
Which sucks, because I have absolutely no context to understand what they recognized as "realizable". They could say K. Rool wasn't realizable because they had plans to add him in Ultimate.

We'll never find out exactly how many characters didn't get recognized in the results.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm playing BL part 2 right now and so far, they don't seem to question the Church at all. Really, I have the same problem with how Rhea and the Church are handled, in that they really aren't questioned outside of BE E and GD to an extent but only BE E actually punishes Rhea for all of her crimes and it's just :/

why does the suppprt thread get more heated about edelgard than literally every other place
Hey whatever gets our reply count up lol. We're almost on the first page when sorting by most replies. :V

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I'm sorry, and I may come across as the worst for this, but the legit seething of Smash fans over SNK is...really hilarious in some instances.

There's threads on /v/ and GameFAQS right now that are flat out revisionist in saying Ridley and K.Rool weren't the most wanted picks, but that Geno, Banjo and Isaac were. Others suggest that the Ballot was a farce, or that the development team was supposed to still be referring to it and that "nobody asked for Terry or an SNK rep".

I thought maybe the Smash fanbase had changed more than it actually has. @Chucklehead Tom put it quite nicely , as the word "deserving" is being thrown around quite a bit. I'm not going to indulge in responding to the concept of a fictional character "deserving" a "slot" in Smash.

It really comes down to this if you ask me: The Smash fanbase internet bubble has led to the inclusion of some great characters (K.Rool, Ridley, Banjo-Kazooie, the return of Snake and other veterans), but there is still a co-existence of this passive phobia of games/series that aren't "Nintendo" enough. This doesn't mean anybody is a bad person for not wanting 3rd parties or picks they aren't familiar with. But it's completely different once it becomes toxic. Luckily I'd say very few folks here have gotten to that point.

There was literally a thread earlier that suggested fans were crying that Geno was "shafted in favor of this character nobody asked for!" It may have been trolling, but I'm also like, "COME ON BRUH".
Considering how the Smash community largely wants to push the series in the general FGC , it is honestly pretty upsetting to see ****flinging at SNK, one of the most respected game companies in the FGC.

Striga

Smash Journeyman

People will use any excuse necessarily to justify their hate for any character that isn’t their pick.

If their not a “generic anime sword fighter”, then chances are their “a character nobody asked for”. I just sit back and watch them lose their minds while eating popcorn.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
personally I think most of the characters the smash community wants are pretty boring

D

Deleted member

I got a good feeling terry is our snk rep. He and ken would do that hat reference in capcom vs snk and he’s the poster boi of snk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom