• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think it's either Terry or Kyo, leaning to Terry.

Terry is, to me, SNK's most iconic and recognizable character from a worldwide perspective, and the main protagonist of Fatal Fury, which kickstarted SNK's legacy as a fighting game company. I couldn't have named Kyo before yesterday (I could pick him out of a lineup as an SNK character, but that's about it), but I definitely know who Terry is.

The main thing Kyo has going for him is being the protagonist of King Of Fighters proper, but otherwise I'm pretty sure Terry has him beat.

Mai is basically the Chun-Li of Fatal Fury, so there's little chance she gets in before Terry, putting aside her issues from a character design perspective. And Nakoruru truly just feels too obscure, she would arguably be among the most obscure characters in Smash, third party or otherwise.

Metal Slug hasn't had a release in a decade and has no notable, obvious mascot that gamers recognize as broadly as Terry.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
If someone doesn't make one he'll join the ranks of Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, Richter, and Solo who also didn't have threads.
Funny enough, I remember there being a support thread for “Greninja & Accelgor,” as a team character. But I guess no solo Greninja thread.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
>some people are claiming that Terry looks like ken with a hat

Here's your SNK rep then, bros. :p I hope that you have fun time playing him.

don't shoot me pls, I was ****posting.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think it's either Terry or Kyo, leaning to Terry.

Terry is, to me, SNK's most iconic and recognizable character from a worldwide perspective, and the main protagonist of Fatal Fury, which kickstarted SNK's legacy as a fighting game company. I couldn't have named Kyo before yesterday (I could pick him out of a lineup as an SNK character, but that's about it), but I definitely know who Terry is.

The main thing Kyo has going for him is being the protagonist of King Of Fighters proper, but otherwise I'm pretty sure Terry has him beat.

Mai is basically the Chun-Li of Fatal Fury, so there's little chance she gets in before Terry, putting aside her issues from a character design perspective. And Nakoruru truly just feels too obscure, she would arguably be among the most obscure characters in Smash, third party or otherwise.

Metal Slug hasn't had a release in a decade and has no notable, obvious mascot that gamers recognize as broadly as Terry.
y'all sleep on haohmaru one more time

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I know it's kind of off-topic here, but I would like to make a short rant about the announcement for the announcement for 9.29, that happened in the Pokemon Anime latest episode (SM 137). Of course, I'm not saying what happened in the episode, it's merely about the announcement.

I keep reminding the peoples, but they don't listen at all. Pokemon Company wouldn't make such an outragerous choice at all. The japanese peoples are not even freaking out 'reboot', at least from what I saw. I don't think it's going to be a reboot.

There are now unironically peoples who hate Ash or want him to go away. He's already the face of the Pokemon anime community, he's not gonna go away, otherwise there will be less popularity.

Literally the same thing about yelling 'REBOOT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!' happened with the first DP and BW trailers because Satoshi was initially not present in the new covers. It's kind of irritating that peoples jump the gun on this.

At most it's going to be a spinoff to the new Sword and Shield anime, probably similar to Chronicles, or adapting Pokemon Masters, or a new movie, whose name was just a placeholder. At most it's just a misunderstanding.

I kind of don't wanna see the reboot, I want to see continuity; if a reboot happens, I might lose interest in the anime. I remember Bakugan anime having a reboot and it kind of wasn't the same afterward.

TL;DR: be patient, wait unill 9.29 instead of saying that it's going to be a proper reboot. It'll be just a spinoff or movie.
I think I could already re-post several Serebii Joe Tweets or quotes from ResetERA telling people not to jump to conclusions...again.

I grew out of favor with Ash/Anime during DP & BW, but the writing of XY & SM have brought me back a bit more (even when the writers go out of their way to screw Ash out of winning Leagues*). I don't think he should go, but I agree with the frustration over having to constantly reset him every few years or wanting to see some of his older Pokemon return more regularly. Ultimately it's there to attract new people to the franchise, and getting upset over this or something like "Let's Go" is a waste of energy.
*League Finals are next week. Time to start taking bets again. :salt:

If people want different protagonists, just read the manga. Older than the anime, multiple protagonists, (mostly) follow the games better, generally more mature in tone & takes more risks, constantly throws in connections to previous games, etc.

Red - More or less RS/Battle Frontier Ash.
Blue/Green - Stereotypical cool guy rival, isn't a jerk and does mentor later protagonists
Green/Blue - Cunning/Street Smart, generally outwits the male protagonists, Silver's big sister,
Yellow - Shy, Modest, Telepath/Healing Powers, disguises her gender for 2 arcs,
Gold - Stereotypical Shonen protagonist, Street Smart, Heavy Womanizer, Pokemon Breeder,
Silver - Loner who learns teamwork over time, isn't a jerk, deals with his family history, secretly a Super Sentai fanboy,
Crystal - Professor Oak's assistant, Stereotypical Class Rep, catches Pokemon using Pokeballs as soccer balls/kicking them, Emerald's big sister,
Ruby - Tom-girl, Loves Contests/Fashion, Fights his Parents who him to be a battler instead,
Sapphire - Tom-boy, more or less a Jungle/Cat-Girl, often rips off clothes & wears leaves/mud instead, has an accent,
Emerald - Short & Overcompensates, Pulls pranks, Overtly sarcastic, uses tech styled after Pokemon Rangers,
Diamond - Comedian/Dumb Guy, Loves to eat, Modest, Super Sentai fanboy,
Pearl - Comedian/Straight Guy, Hot Headed,
Platinum - Princess-like, reserved, uber-rich, budding scientist,
Black - Hard time paying attention, Hot Headed, when focused is a master detective/Truth Seeker,
White - Runs her own company, has a hard time communicating with her Pokemon,
Lack-Two/Blake - International Police Agent/Looker's Superior Officer, Serious/Poker-faced,
Hite-Two/Whitley - Member of "Good" Team Plasma, N-sama, refuses to capture Pokemon in Pokeballs, Shy & easily embarrassed,
X - Introvert/Neet, Struggles with depression, camera-shy,
Y - Extrovert, Hot Headed, Sky Trainer, Struggles with bullying at school,
Sun - LOVES Money, Thick Headed,
Moon - LOVES Poison Pokemon, Short Tempered, Master Archer, budding doctor,

I doubt anyone will care, given all of the possible SNK leaks and the ads indicating that Banjo will be released in less than two weeks, but I beat Super Mario World! It's a game that's been on my backlog for a while now - I'd beaten the final boss before (I got a used version with a 100% complete save file), but I hadn't played the entire game start to finish before.

I found it was a lot more forgiving than Super Mario Bros. 1 or 3 - being able to go back to any level, regardless of what point you're at in the game, was a huge help in terms of making sure that I was stocked up on power-ups. (in Mario 3, I'd run out of power-ups by world 3 or 4, forcing me to subsist on whatever the level had to offer and having to make it through most of it as small Mario) I found that the Fire Flower was significantly less useful than the Cape Feather, so I mainly stuck with the cape for most of the game.

It felt good to play through the game and see why it was so beloved, as opposed to skipping straight to the final boss. Next on my list is Zelda: Ocarina of Time; I always got stuck in the Water Temple or the desert temple, so that's another classic game that I haven't beaten. I'm going to start from scratch and try to avoid using guides, though I might not be able to resist the temptation to use a guide for the Water Temple.
Super Mario World is probably my favorite game of all time. I have done 100% runs but felt like re-playing the entire game again after I'm done.

It's definitely more forgiving, but I think the level design, depth, and the silliness of the Special World levels make up for it. Beyond all that though, it's the best "feeling" 2D Mario in terms of control IMO.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I'd already seen a ton of snk stuff on saltybet but that's really all my experience with it

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Samurai Shodown is pretty obscure compared to Fatal Fury and King Of Fighters. I don't think that's a controversial statement.
you didnt even mention my homie by name

that hurts man

D

Deleted member

On the matter of doing the SF inputs in Smash... neat idea, bad execution. Like, i get what Sakurai was trying to do, but it just does not work well with Smash's more plattform-based fighting style. I think letting you use both, the normal and special move buttons was a mistake. Confine the SF inputs to the special button only and it would fix a lot of misinputs. Either that, or give us an option to toggle them on or off. But right now, it's just too easy to accidentally do a Tatsu when all you wanteed to do was a b-air.

Id suggest you get a Saturn controller since it a perfect controller for fighting games

Either get a USB one

but for the best experience you should try a converter:
buy an actual OG Saturn controller and use this to connect to your PC
Thanks for the suggestion. Ever since I bought the first Sakura Taisen, I've gotten in the mood to collect Saturn games and it would certainly beat using a GC or PS3 controller for those. Though I've also always wanted to get a proper fighting stick. Always loved those and they're pretty nostalgic to me, too, reminding of the days when Arcades were still a thing. I had no idea what i was doing, but 6 year old me loved mashing buttons at Tekken.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's tough coming out and talking about a character that gets **** talked all the time.

"Hey guys, Edelgard is actually kinda coo-"
"NO. NONONONONONO. FIYAH EMBUREM DOESN'T GET ANOTHER CHARACTER UNLESS MY PICKS GET IN FIRST.

"Hey guys, Tracer would actually be cool. You see, they could do this thing where-"
"NO. NONONONONONO. ACTIVISION BLIZZARD IS BAD BUT THAT DOESN'T APPLY TO CRASH. OVERWATCH SUCKS NOBODY PLAYS IT. BESIDES JOKER ALREADY USES A GUN, IT'S NOT LIKE HER BURST PISTOL AND ABILITY TO BLINK MAKES HER UNIQUE YOU TWERP.

"Hey guys, Resident Evil is pretty big and has-"
"NO. NONONONONONO. IT DOESN'T HAVE AS GOOD OF A RELATIONSHIP WITH NINTENDO AS OTHER SERIES AND IT HAS BLOOD. I MEAN YEAH, SNAKE AND BAYO DEAL WITH BLOOD BUT I'M GOING TO CONVENIENTLY IGNORE THAT"

"Hey guys, King of Fighters is like the OG crossover fighter. Terry Bogard is actu-"
"NO. NONONONONONO. WHAT THE **** IS AN SNK, OR IS THAT JUST AN ABBREVIATION FOR SNAKE? THAT'S DUMB. WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER FIGHTING CHARACTER WHEN WE HAVE PLENTY OF NINTENDO CHARACTERS THAT THE ONLINE SMASH COMMUNITY CARES ABOUT WAY MORE. NOBODY ASKS FOR TERRY, BUT SEE, I HAVE THIS ESSAY ON WHY-"

Obviously folks have come around with Resident Evil, but there are still folks who give it **** here and there.

This is probably annoying at this rate. I'm just finding some threads on GameFAQS an absolute riot right now. It's like the chaotic evil version of Smashboards.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I guess I covered that under Nakoruru but yeah. I mean, outside of them, there's what... Athena?
my only real bickering is if someone mentions nakoruru but not haohmaru

haohmaru/nakoruru is obscure but i get le triggered if someone brings one up but not the other

StormC

Smash Hero
my only real bickering is if someone mentions nakoruru but not haohmaru

haohmaru/nakoruru is obscure but i get le triggered if someone brings one up but not the other
I only really humored Nakoruru because of the "female fighter with a flying weapon" leak. Otherwise I doubt anybody would be talking about her.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
>be me
>play 3 houses
>see this post
>see this quote

:nifty:

what are you some kinda stinky empire lover
If I could post images right now, I'd totally post the one with Hubert and Edelgard laughing. Black Eagles gang RISE UP.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If I could post images right now, I'd totally post the one with Hubert and Edelgard laughing. Black Eagles gang RISE UP.
how does it feel knowing 3/4 of the stories are over actively killing you and destroying your foundation

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hmmm..... Capcom vs. SNK..... did those crossovers have anything unique in them besides music? Stages, characters, etc?
The Groove system is super cool. You can pick the same team and have pretty different playstyle based on which groove you pick afterward. One groove gives your chars a running dash, or changes your jump height, one can parry, another gives you alpha's V-ism mode (where you can do custom juggle combos). CvS is sick.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's the only Capcom fighting game where Zero isn't based on Mega Man X iirc
Not what I meant.

I always thought it would be cool if we got a stage from Street Fighter x Tekken alongside proper Tekken content. As a cool bonus (ideally the final boss arena, the Pandorica). That's the kind of thing i meant.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The only reason you're on Team Geese is if you watch salty
I'LL STAIN MY HAMS WITH YOUR BROOD

PREDICTABO

I know he's in Tekken 7 but it'd be amazing to get him as a third party villain. I'm still #TEAMTERRY/#BIRDGANG but man, so many choices sound awesome.

D

Deleted member

I still think my girl Athena deserves more credit than she's getting here, she's basically SNK's face together with Terry. Also I just really wanna have Athena and Palutena together.

Or Sakurai's gonna be a mad man again and gives us Iori with a Miss X alt. I sure would love to see the aftermath of this.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
It's hot outside. Seems like summer weather is still upon me...and I dont mind at all tbh lol (as long as it doesnt get too humid)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
how does it feel knowing 3/4 of the stories are over actively killing you and destroying your foundation
Pretty good once you realize the only other redeemable character is Claude.

Not my fault everybody's afraid to stand up to the Church.

Plus, sure Edelgard gets wrecked in all routes but 1. But so did Tony Stark.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
tfw a SNK account has officially mentioned the leaks

that's

not actually great for their chances

vergeben's saying he's heard 'a name', but so far only sabi is backing SNK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom