• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

My thing with the final two newcomers is I gotta see their movesets. Erdrick is cool, but the down b made him a legendary character for me. If a character's fun, that's all I could ever ask for. Preferable to have suicide moves.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
In other leaks, the olympics game roster has leaked:
I’m glad they put in not only one, but two Lost World villains. They’re all so memorable and the best villains in the Sonic franchise as a whole.

Thank god they put them in over forgettable characters like Chaos, or the Heavy King, or even Infinite.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
How satisfied will you guys be if Hayabusa and Doom Slayer are indeed our last two.

And how satisfied will you be overall with the pass?

71::ultjoker:
72::ulthero:
73::ultbanjokazooie:
74: Ryu Hayabusa
75: Doom Slayer
Joker is excellent with lots of great content.
Hero sucks and the content that's there I really don't like
Don't care for Banjo but he seems to be getting decent content.
Hayabusa is neat so long as he's based more on his modern 3d incarnations than the NES incarnation.
Doom Slayer is hype as ****.

So depending on Hayabusa...
5-7/10

Ok, game time, so let's say it isn't Hayabusa. Let's say it isn't Doom Slayer. Who else would it be?

If it ain't those two, and god I hope it is, the money I'd put down would be on Leon/Jill and Lloyd.
Saber and Nightmare

In other leaks, the olympics game roster has leaked:
Stop trying to make Zazz and Zavok happen, they're never gonna happen.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
How satisfied would you guys be if these were the final two?

74: Terry Bogard
75: Crash Bandicoot
Not satisfied at all
Okay. I want to play.

How satisfied will you be overall with the pass?

70::ultpiranha:
74: Tracer
75: Kazuya Mishima
7/10
I mean, sure, Joker, Hero and Banjo are very neat characters, but Tracer... It would really dissapoint me.
With Kazuya I would be kind of neutral...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
User on YouTube who leaked Piranha Plant and Isabelle as playable characters alongside Marx as a boss is saying Hayabusa is our next fighter.

Also lines up with Google Theory and so if true Doom Slayer might be our 5th.
Ah yes it does indeed line up with google theory
The one that meant we'd get Artorias and no Dragon Quest

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I’m glad they put in not only one, but two Lost World villains. They’re all so memorable and the best villains in the Sonic franchise as a whole.

Thank god they put them in over forgettable characters like Chaos, or the Heavy King, or even Infinite.
Zavok is pretty much like Vector at this point, Sega likes using him for their spinoffs for a Power character option (though Vector is far more popular). I guessed he would be in as soon as he popped up in the early trailer and to be honest I don't mind him being there, though I would've traded Zazz for someone else.

I do wonder why they don't use Chaos more often though, he's definitely more then popular enough to return but he's only been used two times (Battle and Forces, the latter of which he might as well have not been there) since Adventure. Is it because he's hard to render or something?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
How satisfied will you guys be if Hayabusa and Doom Slayer are indeed our last two.

Eesh. It's tough.

Joker was my most-wanted pipe dream and I got him first. I'm super satisfied with him and over the moon about it still. I regularly watch reaction videos to his reveal trailer.

But...

Hero is cool because Dragon Quest is cool. He's also super fun to play. I love Toriyama stuff and I'm invested in DQ11 now. So overall, positive. Plus I like all the skins. Not having female Erdrick or Sofia is a bummer though.

Banjo-Kazooie makes me happy but despite him being someone I wanted during the 64 day that want never really continued. I'm happy for his fans.

Hayabusa and Doomguy are tougher. There's just not enough aesthetic variety there. It's really Hayabusa that's throwing me off. He'd be an amazing base roster character like Simon but in this pack specifically? Weird. We have a fast character in Joker and if Doomguy gets in that'd be two classic M-rated darker characters in a single pass. Three including Joker, though his style makes him a bit different.

Doomguy would be amazing and exciting but not really on my most-wanted list. And again, in a vacuum he's amazing! But as part of the whole pass, I dunno. Fantastic final reveal in any other circumstance but man, I really hope for aesthetic and demographic variety in the fourth pack. Give me Phoenix or Layton or something wild like Tracer or Miku or a Style Savvy rep and I'll be happier. More variety, that's all.

So overall, I'm not mad because I like characters and I got my most-wanted but it's not that interesting to me.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Ah yes it does indeed line up with google theory
The one that meant we'd get Artorias and no Dragon Quest
he's talking about a "revised Google Theory" that assumes Artorias was a false positive that showed up due to Dark Souls' own DLC and that Hero never showed up because no one specifically searched for "Hero"

I don't really believe it, but it exists

Slime Master

Smash Ace
My thing with the final two newcomers is I gotta see their movesets. Erdrick is cool, but the down b made him a legendary character for me. If a character's fun, that's all I could ever ask for. Preferable to have suicide moves.
Yeah, this. There's characters I can get behind just by the idea of them being in smash, but I'll like any inclusion as long as they're fun to play. That's the main reason I bought the pass blind.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

Generally indifferent. I don't care for Piranha Plant and Banjo is kinda "there" for me, while Joker is more of a substitute for a MegaTen rep that I occasionally have fun using. Hero isn't even a character I particularly wanted either, but he's really fun too. Hayabusa and Doom Slayer would just fuel that indifference even further because I have no personal attachment to any of these characters apart from Ren to a degree (for what he represents).

There are other characters I would much rather have, but given how talked-about the Last-Remaining NES Icon and the Granddaddy of First-Person Shooters are, I've discarded all hope of getting any of my Most-Wanted characters playable.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm going to comment here on a few things, and I may do so again in the actual Newcomer/DLC thread just to clear some misconceptions up.

#1) Anyone trying to take credit or credit folks specifically for having Ken, Incineroar, and Isabelle as playable characters...anybody in the know knew that. Remember how I was one of the first folks to be like, "Box theory is it, my dudes"? That's because I, and many others (even in this thread) knew ahead of time that it was Ken and Incineroar as playable characters.

#2) The only information I might credit to this YouTuber (Shifty?) is Piranha Plant and Marx. However, that is information I'm fairly certain was known by some insiders, not just him.

#3) I'm not 100% going to believe it until more folks speak to it. From what I've seen, Sabi hasn't commented on it aside from saying Verg doesn't believe it. Verge is notorious for being a piggybacker from time to time.

#4) Google "theory" is nothing to think about. It's nothing, if my own sources are anything to go off of. However, there are hints that Bethesda could get a character, so those characters might end up in the pass anyway. I think Ryu Hayabusa being "leaked" would mean one thing, and one thing only: Ryu Hayabusa is in Smash, and no other character.

If Sabi and Verge don't know/haven't been told yet, I'm not going to entirely buy into this "leak".

By no means is Ryu Hayabusa a bad pick, as he's a recognizable character in gaming and has some retro history with Nintendo. So it's not as if he's a character that has never had a shot. He's not high on my personal list, but then again I've never played a Ninja Gaiden game.

Frankly, it seems like a Sakurai pick similar to Castlevania. There's content to choose from that reflects the 80's gaming "renaissance" if you will, similar to some of these other series have inducted into Smash.

Even if it's real, I'll be pulling for Resident Evil, DOOM, and to a far lesser extent Overwatch (Tracer), Edelgard, or other characters.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
personally I don't really care about where a character comes from, I only really care about if they're fun to play or have a cool design

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Morning guys, what's been happening lately? I've read up on the previous pages discussing someone commenting on the Fighter Pass being all males. Like, can we not bring in gender equality when it comes to newcomer speculation (especially since the casual audience probably don't care for that stuff)?, the idea of choosing a female character solely for their gender doesn't sit right with me.
I recently finished mowing the lawn and also took a shower. So, I'm kinda exhausted atm. I'm now wearing my new t-shirt that I got recently and watching ZeRo play minecraft. It's funny.
I feel kinda stressed for some reason.
I know the feel. Has today been hard so far?
Hey y’all what’s up?
The sky :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
he's talking about a "revised Google Theory" that assumes Artorias was a false positive that showed up due to Dark Souls' own DLC and that Hero never showed up because no one specifically searched for "Hero"

I don't really believe it, but it exists
We already know mariotehplumber made the results pop up there, why the hell are people defending it with such tenacity then?

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
#2) The only information I might credit to this YouTuber (Shifty?) is Piranha Plant and Marx. However, that is information I'm fairly certain was known by some insiders, not just him.
piranha plant likely was known by some insiders, people often forget about it but I'm pretty sure Vergeben leaked him less than a day before the November 1st direct

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm not 100% on board with the rumor yet but Ryu Hayabusa is one of those characters who'd just make so much gosh darn sense to the point that I could see him getting in even without supposed leaks to back him up.

It's certainly worth considering.

Not a single character that applies to my personal tastes. But you know what? I'm a good sport. I recognize why they'd all be good picks, and the ones we've gotten so far have been really fun so I trust the others will be as well.

8/10

Flyboy

Smash Hero
piranha plant likely was known by some insiders, people often forget about it but I'm pretty sure Vergeben leaked him less than a day before the November 1st direct
I'm not sure if the character itself was leaked outside of NOATesty but I know for a fact a lot of resetera leakers mentioned seeing footage of a character with a p1 icon that no one was calling, which we now know to be Plant.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Anyone down for smash Smash Bros.?
I recently finished mowing the lawn and also took a shower. So, I'm kinda exhausted atm. I'm now wearing my new t-shirt that I got recently and watching ZeRo play minecraft. It's funny.

I know the feel. Has today been hard so far?

The sky :p
Not really sure honestly.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I'm pretty sure Vergeben leaked him less than a day before the November 1st direct
i don't think he did - people on team fake would have absolutely been expecting PP if vergeben had mentioned him, 'discredited' by the grinch leak or not

as it stands, PP took everyone by surprise precisely because no-one had talked about it save for noatesty and like that one 4chan post of the depressed guy

you might be thinking of his pre-direct deconfirmation of isaac

Noipoi

Howdy!

:ultpiranha:: based god
:ultjoker:: meh
:ulthero:: pretty cool
:ultbanjokazooie::Absolutely fantastic in any and all ways. I personally refuse to associate with anyone who doesn’t think this is the coolest thing ever.
Ryu Hayabusa: aight
Doom Slayer: not my cup of tea

Only 2/6 really cater to me personally, but I can acknowledge that the other characters are great picks who bring something to the table. Overall I’d be satisfied.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
i don't think he did - people on team fake would have absolutely been expecting PP if vergeben had mentioned him, 'discredited' by the grinch leak or not

as it stands, PP took everyone by surprise precisely because no-one had talked about it save for noatesty and like that one 4chan post of the depressed guy

you might be thinking of his pre-direct deconfirmation of isaac
I was a bit wrong, he claimed that he had seen another nintendo character in a video but was advised against sharing it. After the direct he confirmed that he was referring to plant.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...os_smash_ultimate_spoiler_discussion/e8trrcc/

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

:ultpiranha:: #PlantGang
:ultjoker:: cool
:ulthero:: cool
:ultbanjokazooie:: :estatic:
Ryu Hayabusa: okay
Doom Slayer: cool

Overall, at least they seem cool and I got the bear and bird. Would feel more satisfied if Steve was in with Banjo & Kazooie.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is sarcasm, yes?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hayabusa and Doomguy are tougher. There's just not enough aesthetic variety there. It's really Hayabusa that's throwing me off. He'd be an amazing base roster character like Simon but in this pack specifically? Weird. We have a fast character in Joker and if Doomguy gets in that'd be two classic M-rated darker characters in a single pass. Three including Joker, though his style makes him a bit different.
Hayabusa is definitely an odd one out looking from a certain standpoint but each individual character was picked for different reasons I feel. Granted I think EVERY character was picked based on the support that said company or franchise was paying towards Nintendo. Since Nintendo DID help pick the characters it would make since for them to pick them from their closer collaborators.

Joker being chosen for Atlus because of Persona Q, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Shin Megami Tensei V being Switch Exclusive; Hero being chosen because of Square's support for Switch and them having a personal stake in DQXIS; Banjo being chosen because of how supportive Microsoft has been with the Switch since the beginning; Hayabusa for all the help Team Ninja and Koei-Tecmo have given with Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Ultimate Alliance 3, Fatal Frame, and more; and Doom Slayer for Bethesda doing Skyrim, Doom, and Wolfenstein since the very beginning.

But on their own merits for fan demand, well you got Joker who, while popular, I feel was Sakurai's personal choice and that's good he deserves to show some bias now and then, Hero is a BIG Japanese choice, Banjo-Kazooie could be considered a European choice since he does originate from the UK but I feel they are more of a Worldwide choice, Hayabusa would be an oldschool choice for older fans of Nintendo, and Doom Slayer would almost definitely be an American/Western choice.

I'm going to be honest, I think when Nintendo was picking the Pass they looked at their collaborators and said, "Who are our most valuable collaborators? Who do we want to make sure sticks around?" And these are the ones they came up with. Strictly business. As boring as that sounds though, we got some dsmn good characters so far.
Doomguy would be amazing and exciting but not really on my most-wanted list. And again, in a vacuum he's amazing! But as part of the whole pass, I dunno. Fantastic final reveal in any other circumstance but man, I really hope for aesthetic and demographic variety in the fourth pack. Give me Phoenix or Layton or something wild like Tracer or Miku or a Style Savvy rep and I'll be happier. More variety, that's all.

So overall, I'm not mad because I like characters and I got my most-wanted but it's not that interesting to me.
I will agree that there isn't much aesthetic variety between all of them, besides Banjo-Kazooie who sticks out like a sore thumb, but I don't think that Doom Slayer and Hayabusa were the ones that did that. Maybe it's just me but we got two Japanese Turn-Based RPG Protagonists that relied on the usage of a special Meter back to back.

Us not getting a female character is a bummer but... the fanbase doesn't really have a go to female character they would be satisfied with. I tried to get people on the Lara Croft ship but that thing sank and the RE fanbase is split between whether it should be Leon or Jill in Smash.

Honestly, I feel like Hayabusa, Banjo, and Doom Slayer would be the highlight of the Pass considering how different they are from each other, one a platforming 90's mascot, one a Japanese Action Platform game from the 80's and 2000's, and one a great grandaddy of the First-Person Shooter. I think people are just looking into the violence of Ninja Gaiden and Doom and saying their too similar for that reason alone which just seems kind of... Shallow maybe?

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

>Implying thay Sega will ever care about Chaos after how dirty they did him in Forces.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The Hayabusa/Doomguy leak is 100% fake because it doesn't include Phoenix Wright.

That is all. You'll thank me later for keeping your expectations in check.

in all seriousness i'd be pretty upset with doomguy but ryu hayabusa would be sick

Noipoi

Howdy!

I’m glad everyone's favorite Sonic character, Zavok, is making so many appearances.

He’s such a fresh, unique, memorable character. It’d be a shame if they hadn’t kept him around.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I still think folks are looking at the wrong things when considering how different certain characters are, or how similar they are. Aesthetics are important, yes. But when you're playing a video game like Smash, there's far, far more than how a character looks, or what game they come from.

The conversation has now come down to Ryu Hayabusa looking similar to Doom Slayer. They might have similar coloring or appearance, but let's be real...it's not like you could confuse Ryu Hayabusa with Doom Slayer. It's not a thing. They look so entirely different there's just simply no way one could confuse them.

One is a ninja, the other is a marine. Those are two entirely different "career choices", if you will. They might both be involved in killing things/people, but the "what" isn't what we should be focused on. It's how they do the what that should be the focal point.

This is similar to the "anime swordsman" argument that we all love so much. The "anime swordsman" argument is a surface level point that doesn't get past what game a character comes from, or what they look like. Some folks have mentioned Fire Emblem having too many characters, or that to some, they have become "indistinguishable". I mean...I'm not really sure how one could confuse Marth with Ike, even if they have the same hair color, but to each their own I guess.

Marth and Ike, for example, both use swords. The Falchion and Ragnell, however, are different types of swords, and therefore at even that level, cannot be used the same way. The "what' being the class of Sword User, in itself has deviations. As the player, you frankly can't play Marth the same way you would attempt to play Ike. The "how" the way you play the character to succeed, is so drastically different. Marth strives for the tipper with Falchion, while Ike wants to bait his opponent into a strong punish, or juggle with nair. This is why the "how" is so much more important than "what".

Basically, we should be asking, "How does "X" use do "what" differently from the other characters who do the "what"? That's literally the question. If you insert a character and say, "How does Link use his sword differently from Cloud?". The answer is obvious. "How does Roy use his sword differently from Chrom?" The answer to this is murkier, but still easily answered. Again, it comes down to archetype as well as moveset.

Maybe I care too much, but it kills me when folks completely disregard the fact that we LITERALLY PLAY Smash Bros. You can stare at it all day, but it's meant to be played.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm surprised they didn't include Infinite, the Carnage to Shadow's Venom, in the latest Mario and Sonic Olympics game.

At least, that's the way I see it - Venom started off as an evil copy of Spider-Man, and when he became popular and more of a good guy, they introduced Carnage, who was even eviler. Likewise, Shadow started off as an edgy copy of Sonic, and when he became popular and more of a good guy, they introduced Infinite, who was even edgier.

Last edited:

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I care too much, but it kills me when folks completely disregard the fact that we LITERALLY PLAY Smash Bros. You can stare at it all day, but it's meant to be played.
I am actually not entirely certain that the majority of people who engage in Smash speculation actually play Smash

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'm surprised they didn't include Infinite, the Carnage to Shadow's Venom, in the latest Mario and Sonic Olympics game.

At least, that's the way I see it - Venom started off as an evil copy of Spider-Man, and when he became popular and more of a good guy, they introduced Carnage, who was even eviler. Likewise, Shadow started off as an edgy copy of Sonic, and when he became popular and more of a good guy, they introduced Infinite, who was even edgier.
Tbf, Infinite was wasted potential. His whole edgy vibe was the most forced thing in the whole game, with that dumb as **** backstory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom