• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I think Ryu and Doom have enough aesthetic variety. One's a ninja in feudal Japan while the other is a space marine who fights hellspawns on Mars. One uses guns, the other doesn't. One has the most terrifying monsters to ever be in a video game, and the other has creatures from Hell.

I look at it as Feudal Japan aesthetic and rocking metal space aesthetic. They're just vastly different in every way other than being realistically proportioned men.

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The Hayabusa/Doomguy leak is 100% fake because it doesn't include Phoenix Wright.

That is all. You'll thank me later for keeping your expectations in check.

in all seriousness i'd be pretty upset with doomguy but ryu hayabusa would be sick
It doesnt have Wright or Layton so its 1000% fake

Noipoi

Howdy!
And now, for your viewing pleasure, a full list of every Smash character and whether or not they can say the N word.

Yeah no, I’m not doing that.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I do wonder why they don't use Chaos more often though, he's definitely more then popular enough to return but he's only been used two times (Battle and Forces, the latter of which he might as well have not been there) since Adventure. Is it because he's hard to render or something?
He probably isn’t, given that they modeled and animated him for a cutscene-only role in Forces.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
My point isn't boiled down to "one is a ninja and one is a marine". It's an energy and appeal thing. Both are classic characters from high-action games, with modern incarnations using darker colors. I understand it's a business thing and makes sense from that regard. I understand that Hayabusa is one of the most likely characters due to KT's relationship with Nintendo, the anniversary of Ninja Gaiden coming up, all of that. I understand that they'd have completely different playstyles. But I don't care.

I don't think it's unreasonable to wish we could get something like Phoenix, Layton, or Arle Nadja. Even Jill Valentine would at least look different when taking the pass as an entity.

I know everyone added to Smash will be unique and fun to play because Sakurai hasn't let me down yet, but that doesn't somehow magically make Ryu Hayabusa an exciting DLC choice to me. He's just one that makes sense.

For the record, I've played every Doom, several Doom mods, the original Ninja Gaiden, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma was the first M-Rated game I owned. I'm pretty familiar with both the characters and their series'. Individually I'd be very pleased to get them both. But man, I was just hoping for surprises and maybe an off-the-wall choice outside of Joker.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The Hayabusa/Doomguy leak is 100% fake because it doesn't include Phoenix Wright.

That is all. You'll thank me later for keeping your expectations in check.

in all seriousness i'd be pretty upset with doomguy but ryu hayabusa would be sick
This is objective fact because I want Phoenix Wright.

Noipoi

Howdy!
:ultalph: No
:ultbanjokazooie: No (but Kazooie would try)
:ultbayonetta: No
:ultbowser: Yes
:ultbowserjr::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig: Only Roy
:ultfalcon: HYES
:ultcloud:No
:ultcorrin: No
:ultdiddy: No
:ultdk: No
:ultdoc: No
:ultduckhunt: Does it just to make you feel bad
:ultfalco: No
:ultfox: No
:ultganondorf: Absolutely
:ultgreninja: Can’t even say it
:ulthero: No
:ulticeclimbers: No
:ultike: No
:ultincineroar: Can’t say it
:ultinkling: Can’t speak, but if they could only the black ones.
:ultisabelle: She wouldn’t dream of it
:ultjigglypuff: Can’t say it
:ultjoker: Probably says it anyway
:ultkingdedede: Yes
:ultkrool: Yes
:ultkirby: You couldn’t stop him from saying it
:ultlink: No
:ultlittlemac: No ones given him a pass but he does anyway
:ultlucario: No
:ultlucas: No
:ultmario: No
:ultluigi: No
:ultmarth: No
:ultlucina: No
:ultmegaman: No
:ultmetaknight: Yes
:ultmewtwo: Yes
:ultmiifighters: Depends
:ultgnw: Yes
:ultness: No
:ultolimar: No
:ultpacman: Yes
:ultpalutena: She’s a goddess. She can say it.
:ultpeach: No
:ultdaisy: No
:ultpichu:Too young. Also can’t speak.
:ultpikachu: Can’t say it
:ultpiranha: Yes
:ultpit: No
:ultdarkpit: Desperately wants to
:ultpokemontrainer: Only the black one
:ultridley: Says it all the time whether you like it or not
:ultrob: Yes, in binary code
:ultrobin: He’s cool enough to get a pass, but he still doesn’t say it.
:ultrosalina: No
:ultroy: No
:ultchrom: No
:ultryu:No
:ultken: No
:ultsamus: No
:ultdarksamus: No
:ultsheik: No
:ultshulk: No
:ultsimon: No
:ultrichter: No
:ultsnake: No
:ultsonic: Only when singing along with rap lyrics
:ulttoonlink: No
:ultvillager: The black ones can
:ultwario: No
:ultwiifittrainer: Too white
:ultwolf: No
:ultyoshi: Can’t say it, doesn’t want to anyway.
:ultyounglink: No
:ultzelda: No
:ultzss: No

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I was a little worried we might not get a reveal in the next Direct but this leak really makes me confident. I've been saying Hayabusa would be the next character for months and I'm very curious what the reactions will be to his inclusion.

NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy do you feel vindicated yet?

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I'm surprised they didn't include Infinite, the Carnage to Shadow's Venom, in the latest Mario and Sonic Olympics game.

At least, that's the way I see it - Venom started off as an evil copy of Spider-Man, and when he became popular and more of a good guy, they introduced Carnage, who was even eviler. Likewise, Shadow started off as an edgy copy of Sonic, and when he became popular and more of a good guy, they introduced Infinite, who was even edgier.
I'd say they did that with Mephiles first, he was basically even more evil Shadow.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
My point isn't boiled down to "one is a ninja and one is a marine". It's an energy and appeal thing. Both are classic characters from high-action games, with modern incarnations using darker colors. I understand it's a business thing and makes sense from that regard. I understand that Hayabusa is one of the most likely characters due to KT's relationship with Nintendo, the anniversary of Ninja Gaiden coming up, all of that. I understand that they'd have completely different playstyles. But I don't care.

I don't think it's unreasonable to wish we could get something like Phoenix, Layton, or Arle Nadja. Even Jill Valentine would at least look different when taking the pass as an entity.

I know everyone added to Smash will be unique and fun to play because Sakurai hasn't let me down yet, but that doesn't somehow magically make Ryu Hayabusa an exciting DLC choice to me. He's just one that makes sense.

For the record, I've played every Doom, several Doom mods, the original Ninja Gaiden, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma was the first M-Rated game I owned. I'm pretty familiar with both the characters and their series'. Individually I'd be very pleased to get them both. But man, I was just hoping for surprises and maybe an off-the-wall choice outside of Joker.
From the outside looking in Doom Slayer and Hayabusa are off the wall choices. Will they floor us? No. Will it floor the general gaming public. Hell yeah because Ninja Gaiden is legendary but not relevant and, well, Doom Slayer can fight Mario. Not much more needs to be said.

Honestly, the energy thing is something that I personally don't understand where you're coming from. Ninja Gaiden and Doom are 2 VERY different games with 2 VERY different lead characters. Ones a Ninja and one's a space marine. Like, maybe because they're darker games with more gore? But again, that's looking at it very narrow minded in my opinion.

Nevertheless if that is indeed how you feel I wont hound you over it. Not everyone is going to be happy about it, and no one is going to be as happy as I will be if it does happen, so if you don't feel like this Pass is different enough from character to character then I definitely respect that.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

I don't think you're really giving Doom enough credit. It's a pretty off-the-wall choice. It's the first major western series in Smash and it's known for being ridiculously gory and violent. I haven't even played the series but I would be very curious to see how Smash implements it.

Replicating Joker's shock value is pretty difficult. It was a very specific choice and matter of circumstances (see: Sakurai loves Persona 5). If this is the Pass, I can see why they led with Joker, because nothing else would be that unexpected.

D

Deleted member

From the outside looking in Doom Slayer and Hayabusa are off the wall choices. Will they floor us? No. Will it floor the general gaming public. Hell yeah because Ninja Gaiden is legendary but not relevant and, well, Doom Slayer can fight Mario. Not much more needs to be said.

Honestly, the energy thing is something that I personally don't understand where you're coming from. Ninja Gaiden are 2 VERY different games with 2 VERY different lead characters. Ones a Ninja and one's a space marine. Like, maybe because they're darker games with more gore? But again, that's looking at it very narrow minded in my opinion.

Nevertheless if that is indeed how you feel I wont hound you over it. Not everyone is going to be happy about it, and no one is going to be as happy as I will be if it does happen, so if you don't feel like this Pass is different enough from character to character then I definitely respect that.
Can Hayabusa break your spine with a single kick? No? They're two different characters then.

Last edited by a moderator:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I was a little worried we might not get a reveal in the next Direct but this leak really makes me confident. I've been saying Hayabusa would be the next character for months and I'm very curious what the reactions will be to his inclusion.

NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy do you feel vindicated yet?
I had been trying to slowly convince myself that he wasn't happening for months now just so I couldn't get my dreams crushed and I'm trying my best to use my mind to stay skeptical and say "He's not getting in. Don't get your hopes up." But then when seeing all these posts and speculation my heart fires back with "but what if he does?" And I explode into a sublime state of giddy optimism.

So yeah, if he happens, I'm vindicated.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't think you're really giving Doom enough credit. It's a pretty off-the-wall choice. It's the first major western series in Smash and it's known for being ridiculously gory and violent. I haven't even played the series but I would be very curious to see how Smash implements it.

Replicating Joker's shock value is pretty difficult. It was a very specific choice and matter of circumstances (see: Sakurai loves Persona 5). If this is the Pass, I can see why they led with Joker, because nothing else would be that unexpected.
Yeah, I mean, Doom really isn't my sticking point here. I think Doomguy is cool! I can see him working super well in Smash and with lots of great skins to pick from. Surprising, yet legacy all in one.

I don't hate Hayabusa. I like him a lot, in fact, and again he's been on my radar since Smash 4. I just, within the context of this pass, would have wanted something a little softer or weirder for this spot other than "cool action ninja". I really feel that outside of Isabelle we didn't get a lot of that. But then I'm the guy whose favorite additions to Sm4sh were Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Tbf, Infinite was wasted potential. His whole edgy vibe was the most forced thing in the whole game, with that dumb as **** backstory.
Infinite disappoints me since I feel you could've done more with the character. Based on the comic, he did seem to value friendship to at least some extent as he had his own squad of mercenaries, and he didn't start working for his own selfish endeavors until the Phantom Ruby gave him a taste of the world he wanted to see. So he could've had a backstory for him where, whether through the loss of his team or disassociating with them the more he got in contact with Eggman (and maybe the ruby) and he became more twisted. Yet instead, the Jackal Squad gets mentioned in passing and they are killed offscreen so they don't have any real influence on his story and can't in the future, and his jump between the two personas is caused by what comes off as a kid throwing a tantrum because someone called him a name. It made him come off as more pathetic then interesting, and considering that this is the first villain in a long while that they bothered to even give a meaningful backstory to (Lyric kind of had one I guess, but it's mostly mentioned in passing) it calls into question how they managed to fumble it like that.

He probably isn’t, given that they modeled and animated him for a cutscene-only role in Forces.
True, I guess his treatment is just Sonic Team being weird then.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly, it doesn't make a difference to me if it's Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Slayer or not. Most of the characters people are proposing as the next third-party additions don't interest me.

I know most people want new franchises, but I'd rather have a character from an old series I'm familiar with/attached to than a new one that I really don't care about. I'm still holding out for a first-party addition, even if the only character people are giving serious consideration to is a FE character.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Tbf, Infinite was wasted potential. His whole edgy vibe was the most forced thing in the whole game, with that dumb as **** backstory.
I don't know - I can think of something even more forced than that: Classic Sonic.

At least in Sonic Generations, his inclusion made sense. Here, he felt shoe-horned in, his stages (aside from the last few) weren't that great, and the music in his stages was terrible. (and this is a Sonic game, where insanely good music is generally expected)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't know - I can think of something even more forced than that: Classic Sonic.

At least in Sonic Generations, his inclusion made sense. Here, he felt shoe-horned in, his stages (aside from the last few) weren't that great, and the music in his stages was terrible. (and this is a Sonic game, where insanely good music is generally expected)
Not to mention no concept art shows Classic Sonic and the game's main theme refers to two people, not three

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Not to mention no concept art shows Classic Sonic and the game's main theme refers to two people, not three
I was not aware of that. Now I definitely feel like he was thrown in at the last minute, though I'm not sure if that's because it was easy to do, or because it was an anniversary.

I looked up when Sonic Mania was announced, thinking that it might have been to piggyback off of that game's reception (that wasn't the case, since they were announced at the same time), and it came as a surprise that Sonic Mania came out two years ago! Time sure does fly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dunno, for me the main issue is that Doomguy is kinda boring aesthetic-wise given that he is pretty much a futuristic armored soldier when we have Samus and Dark Samus. Other than that I have no issue with him.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I know most people want new franchises, but I'd rather have a character from an old series I'm familiar with/attached to than a new one that I really don't care about. I'm still holding out for a first-party addition, even if the only character people are giving serious consideration to is a FE character.
One upside to the inclusion of franchises that you're unfamiliar with is that it can encourage you to look into those series. Thanks to Smash, I looked into games like Metal Gear Solid, Fire Emblem Awakening, Earthbound, and Persona 5, and now Persona 5's one of my favourite RPGs, and Metal Gear is one of my favourite video game franchises in general!

I enjoyed Earthbound and Fire Emblem Awakening, and while the other games that I've played in that series haven't replicated that magic (disclaimer: I haven't played Fire Emblem: Three Houses or Mother 3), I would have never considered getting them if not for Smash (and Awakening not having the perma-death mechanic).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom