• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Just finished chapter 3 of Xenoblade 2.

Holy crap that was intense. I had my doubts about this game at first but now I'm really hooked.

Also are you supposed to lose the first part of the Malos/Akhos fight? Because the midfight cutscene started playing when I had like 176 on Rex while everyone else was dead. If not then I guess I just got really lucky.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Man despite being a good year for movies this year so far. Why is it all my favorites haven't been doing so well? :(

First Shazam!, then Missing Link and now Godzilla 2...Meanwhile Avengers: Endgame I found to be underwhelming but what makes up for it is its third act and final battle.

That said the only movie that has relatively done well so far this year that I've liked is How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World. Apparently too Detective Pikachu surprisingly hasn't done well granted I haven't seen it but I'm still surprised given you'd think Pokemon's popularity would guarantee it being at least a billion dollar hit.
Hopefully it'll have good legs. The weekend box office results could've been better, but if it keeps itself steady in theaters it can still do well despite not living up to initial expectations. Audience response has also been rather positive, so that could also help its continued sales if that turns into good word of mouth.

Also, did Detective Pikachu do poorly? I haven't paid too much attention to its box office results, but I haven't heard of it being anyone close to a flop.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Weird food mixes?

I've used Chick-Fil-A sauce with a lot of food other than chicken. Tortilla chips? Dip em in CFA sauce. Thanksgiving turkey breast? Dip em in CFA sauce. Potato chips? Dip em in CFA sauce. Olive Garden breadsticks? Dip em in CFA sauce. Bacon? Dip em in CFA sauce. A Samsung Galaxy Phone? Dip em in CFA sauce.

But yeah, you get the picture. When it comes to food experimentation, there are a few combos that I've discovered that I've liked, with CFA sauce being the base.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Weird food mixes?

I've used Chick-Fil-A sauce with a lot of food other than chicken. Tortilla chips? Dip em in CFA sauce. Thanksgiving turkey breast? Dip em in CFA sauce. Potato chips? Dip em in CFA sauce. Olive Garden breadsticks? Dip em in CFA sauce. Bacon? Dip em in CFA sauce. A Samsung Galaxy Phone? Dip em in CFA sauce.

But yeah, you get the picture. When it comes to food experimentation, there are a few combos that I've discovered that I've liked, with CFA sauce being the base.
why is chic-fil-a the god of fast food

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Also, did Detective Pikachu do poorly? I haven't paid too much attention to its box office results, but I haven't heard of it being anyone close to a flop.
To my knowledge yes. Its only made 394 million against an 150 million budget. Not a bomb per say but sounds like an underperformance.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i need to learn easier ways to get true shoryuken. i know a lot of ryu/ken guys prefer the gcn controller but i have no idea how to reliably and easily do true shoryuken, even with the shortcuts

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Weird food mixes?

Chick Fil A sandwiches are godly with teriyaki sauce on them.

They’re god damn divine with McDonalds Szechuan Sauce on them. God, during the short period you could buy that stuff I became a goddamn addict.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Misread austin.

Oh dear.

I was about to murder you. Lol
what could you have possibly misread it for that made sense with crackers as the word being described

KMDP

Smash Legend
When I think of Forces I think of another game.

Think back to Generations, now imagine that with the level design cut in half lengthwise, and with much of what exploration was available beforehand completely neutered. Also, make half of it 2D, and have the platforming be blockier than many Mario titles. Then axe much of Sonic's versatile moveset and options from Generations, including the Drift of all things, and make his acceleration the equivalent of Lost World but with the run button to switch removed (leaving an awkward jolt in its place between binary acceleration 'gears'). Also, as explained by the OP in the Tweet I posted, automated run sections in forces take all control away from you meaning that you can't Boost, not to mention the addition of splines to snap you on the path at all times heavily restricting freedom of movement.

All that after a 4-year development cycle.

If you can still find ways to have a blast with it then that just means you're more forgiving and yield a stronger will than I. Wish I could be like that with Sonic Heroes (I want to like that game...but I hate its slippery, bottomless pit happy guts).

While true, SEGA themselves don't seem to have a problem with it. If you search up SEGA and DMCA claims look at the links you can get:

They seem to encourage fan content.

The Classic formula is all about Level design that's built around momentum, Sonic is affected by the terrain and has those effects exaggerated when rolling and there's generally a multi-tier design in order to offer suitable environments to make use of Sonic's movement and abilities.

It's not for everyone, there are people who prefer the way the Rush series does things for instance.

The only 3D Boost game I kinda liked was Generations. I can see where you're coming from with the high-speed thrill of being able to Boost through levels with a degree of invulnerability, but after a while, you've gotta make some major changes that improve the overall experience. We're four Boost games in and there are still some fundamental problems with this formula.

One of those problems is its effect on level design. 3D platforming is largely an afterthought to the Boost formula's design and that becomes apparent whenever the gameplay steps away from streamlined Arcady high-speed spectacle and makes platforming the focus.

Whatever flow the Boost gameplay establishes with its consistently fast-paced nature falls apart due to how clunky and choppy the controls are at slower speeds and how rudimentary the level design shows itself to be when it's not tailored towards moving as fast as possible.

Shaymay explains a bit of this pretty well in this timestamp (so you don't have to watch the whole thing)

Life systems in older console games is a holdover from Arcades, but yeah, say if you **** up on a boss starting from the beginning is punishment enough, whereas making the player spend 5-10 minutes replaying an entire level is can potentially be a waste of their time and end up being more frustrating than fun.

This is actually part of the reason my responses are so late. I also just don't really have the time.

Lol...yeah.

I got the game as a Christmas gift year of release so you know I had to spend some time with it. It felt very similar to my experience with '06 in that both games damn near gave me a migraine.

Werehog from Unleashed was pretty close.
Ah, I see you too have watched Shaymay's Sonic Spitball series.

It's a good dissection of what exactly the problem with current Sonic is (though it was written when all we knew about Sonic Boom was it's character designs, Generations and Lost World were the most recent titles, and '06 was still unequivocally the worst Sonic game (now it's a toss-up between '06, Boom and Forces)). For people who haven't watched it, give it a look if you have a few hours to spare.

Sonic Spitball is how I came to the conclusion I did about the Boost Formula in general.

i.e. I think they should either scrap the Boost Formula, or limit it to specific Levels (sort of like the Mach Speed sections of '06, which were ultimately a Beta version of the Boost Gameplay). It's clear Sonic Team can't build a whole game around the Boost Gameplay (I mean, 4 games where the Boost Formula is accompanied by another playstyle should tell you that much), primarily because said gameplay is incredibly wasteful and eats up tons of dev time for very little gain. Many boost levels, but especially Forces', are a lot of spectacle with very little substance.

Shaymay even points out that there's a setpiece in Generations' Seaside Hill Act 2 stage which could have easily involved physics-based platforming, but instead is mostly automated. Because Sonic Team seems not to trust the player's skill.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Ah, I see you too have watched Shaymay's Sonic Spitball series.

It's a good dissection of what exactly the problem with current Sonic is (though it was written when all we knew about Sonic Boom was it's character designs, Generations and Lost World were the most recent titles, and '06 was still unequivocally the worst Sonic game (now it's a toss-up between '06, Boom and Forces)). For people who haven't watched it, give it a look if you have a few hours to spare.

Sonic Spitball is how I came to the conclusion I did about the Boost Formula in general.

i.e. I think they should either scrap the Boost Formula, or limit it to specific Levels (sort of like the Mach Speed sections of '06, which were ultimately a Beta version of the Boost Gameplay). It's clear Sonic Team can't build a whole game around the Boost Gameplay (I mean, 4 games where the Boost Formula is accompanied by another playstyle should tell you that much), primarily because said gameplay is incredibly wasteful and eats up tons of dev time for very little gain. Many boost levels, but especially Forces', are a lot of spectacle with very little substance.

Shaymay even points out that there's a setpiece in Generations' Seaside Hill Act 2 stage which could have easily involved physics-based platforming, but instead is mostly automated. Because Sonic Team seems not to trust the player's skill.
I never watch critical videos on Sonic, and I always thought automation in Sonic levels was...kinda necessary. I mean, am sure no one wants to get vertigo or something from running on a loop, or fall off the loop so easily, especially when over a bottomless pit. Bottomless pit or not, I can imagine trying to control Sonic to get through a loop or corkscrew to be frustrating. That said, I also don't think the momentum based physics are that big of a deal. Sure, they were great during the Genesis days, but they aren't always necessary to make a good Sonic game. In any event, I go with my own opinion, not others who even make videos about things Sonic related. Plus, I like the boost, and think it should stay.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
That bowser vs mario match I had with scoliosis was pretty hype though.

D

Deleted member

Coliflower + Mayonnaise is something I used to try.
It tasted good.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Some Tekken Tag early version stuff.

The audio on the characters is still scratchy, so I'd suggest turning the volume down. But the Announcer's voice clips aren't garbage so those are fine to listen to.

The major things is that Marshall might've been playable alongside his son, and Dr. Abel and Dr.B were considered at some point. Devil Kazuya would've been called just that, but since Devil Jin wasn't around yet, no point to specify which devil version it is.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Noipoi

Howdy!
Alright, I’m turning in early. Super hyped for Pokémon!

Remember to brush your parents and listen to your teeth, g’night!

SonicMario

Smash Master
I assume you guys have already talked about the Resetera Banjo leak, so what do you think? Is it a legit leak or is it someone making a prediction?
IMO, it's safer to look at it from a cautious optimistic way. If you'd like Banjo to be in. Try to at least remain some sort of doubt in your mind so that if it doesn't happen. It goes over better then if you thought it was 100% real. But if it does, then you're all the more happy if you have that thought in the back of your mind.

I'm not even a Banjo-Kazooie fan but I would legit think it's be the best moment of this game's speculation scene since K. Rool's reveal. Arguably bigger just because of the circumstances of us thinking it was impossible for so long because at least while K. Rool himself has had a long absence. He was first party and not owned by a competing console maker. I would be very happy for all the Bear and Bird fans who have dealt with having a seemingly impossible dream since 2001. It's just safer however to keep in mind those reasons why he was deemed impossible. And wait until he's actually revealed on screen to really let those emotions fly if it turns out true.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
probably a good 80% chance of being legit

I expect Erdrick and Banjo at e3
This has been my theory for a while now.

I've been thinking "Erdrick available now!" and "Banjo coming in August" with a tease of the in progress model of whoever is next. But I'm starting to think we might get a shadow drop of both characters.
IMO, it's safer to look at it from a cautious optimistic way. If you'd like Banjo to be in. Try to at least remain some sort of doubt in your mind so that if it doesn't happen. It goes over better then if you thought it was 100% real. But if it does, then you're all the more happy if you have that thought in the back of your mind.

I'm not even a Banjo-Kazooie fan but I would legit think it's be the best moment of this game's speculation scene since K. Rool's reveal. Arguably bigger just because of the circumstances of us thinking it was impossible for so long because at least while K. Rool himself has had a long absence. He was first party and not owned by a competing console maker. I would be very happy for all the Bear and Bird fans who have dealt with having a seemingly impossible dream since 2001. It's just safer however to keep in mind those reasons why he was deemed impossible. And wait until he's actually revealed on screen to really let those emotions fly if it turns out true.
I definitely agree on not getting too hyped before any actual announcement, but this is quickly becoming a perfect storm and it feels almost impossible to not get pulled in.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
seeing IsmaR IsmaR whiff that leaf shild and SD was so sad
It's what I get for trying to go for fancy footstool stuff. :drfacepalm:

me when i finally pwn IsmaR IsmaR 's R.O.B.

View attachment 225936

little mac mains rise up, we got mega man and his robotic operating buddy
My robots (outside of Metroid, of course) are rusty, but I'll give the punchy guys credit where credit is due. I played Mac the last time we did Arenas here, so it felt nice seeing someone else do him justice for a change.

I was especially left "Bruh"-ing when I got Doc'd hard on WarioWare. Not mad, just in awe that a faux PHD can make someone that powerful.

GGs as usual Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones King Sonnn DeDeDoo King Sonnn DeDeDoo even if it was only a few games (the code wasn't posted on Discord, so it took me a while to find it/finally join).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I was especially left "Bruh"-ing when I got Doc'd hard on WarioWare. Not mad, just in awe that a faux PHD can make someone that powerful.
if you know how to work doc i honestly believe he's better than mario or luigi

but i dont know how to do that but if you look them up they can pull the craziest ****

did you know cape can hit you at ledge and gets a confirmed back air kill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom